Done Improve the format selection menu

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin

I think that this screenshot is self explanatory, I find that there are way too many formats to choose from, to the point where some even go out of the screen, and the menu covers the entirety of the window, so it's quite troublesome to find the format you want to play if you're not familiar with its location or if you have bad eye sight.
Removing formats is out of question, because it is clearly a blessing to be able to play so many formats, but I feel like this menu could be changed to improve the user experience. Some changes that I can think of would be:
  • Let users choose their "favorite" formats. For example if I know that I only play Gen 4 OU and Mono randbats, then a "Favorites" menu could be created where these two could be easily accessed... or a yellow star could be added next to your favorite battle formats so that it's easier to find them at first glance.
  • Turn the categories into drop-down menus. If one knows that they never ever play B2/W2 Doubles, then perhaps it could be nice to allow them to click the B2/W2 Doubles header, in order to hide all the formats belonging to that category.
  • Add a field in which users can input text from their keyboard, in order to have all the formats that don't match the name, disappear (a bit like in the teambuilder, so if I type gen4 then all the other generations' formats would disappear, and if I type gen4ou then I can directly access my format of choice).
I'm not certain if there's an even better solution than any of those 3, but it would be a big quality of life change to simplify the battle menu in challenges. Thanks!

honestly all the headers there being dropdowns would probably look way less cluttered and be the best of your three. adding some sort of favourite system would probably require more effect than its worth. since if it is your favourite format you can probably find it quickly,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)