(In-game question) Do Baby Pokemon always have 3 perfect IVs?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I bred a Munchlax using the ingame Snorlax with a Safari Imposter Ditto and it didnt have a single 31 IV...

So I am not sure if it is the "No egg" egg group which has 3 perfect IV's or whether its specific Pokemon. I did catch a Nidorina with 3 perfect IV's.

EDIT: I will also move this into the XY Casual discussion area
I think we established earlier that this only applies to caught Pokemon.

I caught a few Togepi in the safari last night. All had three to four perfect IVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the significance of this discovery just took a leap up with the news about Destiny's Knot allowing FIVE IVs to be passed down from the parents (source: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/big-news-for-breeding-in-xy.3490166/ also mentioned on Serebii)

This means that having 3 perfect IVs right off the bat should help get a perfect IV that much sooner. Also just cause I was curious myself I went and looked up the Egg groups of the evolutions of the babies that we know are currently captureable ingame. (And therefor are able to pass on IVs to others in the same groups)

Smoochum, Tyrogue, Mime Jr., Riolu: Human-Like
Togepi, Azurill, Budew: Fairy
Togepi: Flying
Azurill, Mantyke: Water 1
Chingling: Amorphous
Riolu: Field
Budew: Grass

Paras is Grass/Bug, Surskit is Water 1/Bug and Volbeat/Ilumise are Human-like/Bug, so that means you can pass those IVs to the Bug Egg Group. By extension, you can pass them to Water 3 and Mineral through Skorupi and Dwebble, respectively.

Horsea, Dratini and Feebas are all Water 1/Dragon, so the IVs can go to the Dragon Egg Group too. By extension, they can go to Monster, Water 2 and Flying through Charmander, Magikarp and Swablu, respectively, among others.

Stunfisk and Shellos are Water 1/Amorphous, so the IV's can go to the Amorphous Egg Group also.

And those are all the Egg Groups right there. And that list is by no means exhaustive.

... Yeah, things look good. :)

Paras is Grass/Bug, Surskit is Water 1/Bug and Volbeat/Ilumise are Human-like/Bug, so that means you can pass those IVs to the Bug Egg Group. By extension, you can pass them to Water 3 and Mineral through Skorupi and Dwebble, respectively.

Horsea, Dratini and Feebas are all Water 1/Dragon, so the IVs can go to the Dragon Egg Group too. By extension, they can go to Monster, Water 2 and Flying through Charmander, Magikarp and Swablu, respectively, among others.

Stunfisk and Shellos are Water 1/Amorphous, so the IV's can go to the Amorphous Egg Group also.

And those are all the Egg Groups right there. And that list is by no means exhaustive.

... Yeah, things look good. :)
Awesome! I wanted to do all that checking myself when I next got some free time, so thanks for doing it! Also we don't need Stunfisk/Shellos for Amophous as we have Chingling-> Chimecho

After finding out last week about Legendaries getting 3 free 31 IV stat, I decided to soft reset for at least 4-5 perfect IVs. Instead I got hex-flawless Yveltal Mild nature (wanted to go for mix-attacker)

http://prntscr.com/1y5r5l
http://prntscr.com/1y5rdq

Now I really want an Azurill or Riolu in the wild and try to catch a quad or quint-flawless one.

Last edited:
Awesome! I wanted to do all that checking myself when I next got some free time, so thanks for doing it! Also we don't need Stunfisk/Shellos for Amophous as we have Chingling-> Chimecho
Doh, of course! Totally missed Chingling! Man, can't wait to have the time to finish the game and start chain-breeding. :)

Okay, so maybe I'm lucky, but can somebody also test this?
Shinies have fixed ivs for your PID as soon as you create your character, right? Here's the thing, I've caught two shinies and both had exactly one flawless iv. Going along with the legends and babies also have three fixed and safari two fixed, is it possible shinies complete the chain at one fixed at flawless?
Really would like someone else to test this and see if I just got lucky or if it works.

Shinies have fixed ivs for your PID as soon as you create your character, right? Here's the thing, I've caught two shinies and both had exactly one flawless iv. Going along with the legends and babies also have three fixed and safari two fixed, is it possible shinies complete the chain at one fixed at flawless?
Really would like someone else to test this and see if I just got lucky or if it works.
I'd love to help test this but seeing as I've seen I think one shiney in my whole time playing Pokemon (started at yellow and have played at least one game each gen) I'm not sure I can :/ unless there is a trick to finding them?

I like the idea though and would love to see it proven.

Eh, I've found a shiny Ferroseed, but I'm still very far from the IV checker =/ I'll let you know as soon as I get there.

Does that mean that you can't IV-breed a shiny Pokémon because it wouldn't be the PID-assigned IV combination for your shinies?

I hatched a shiny adamant Venipede yesterday with three perfect IVs.
Thank you, I was afraid I had been wasting my time.
I didn't understand those saying there is a mechanic for shinies' IVs in wild encounters. Maybe in Vth gen? Currently, now that I think about it, it is debunked by the fact that the Safari Pokémon all have two perfect IVs and an increased chance at shininess.

You're just lucky. I checked my husband's shiny Klefki. It's best stat is its speed, which is only "fantastic" according to the IV checker. (Also, it has a 0 in defense, ouch!)

Thank you, guys. I finally ended up with a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant Marill with Belly Drum + Aqua Jet. My first completed project in Pokemon Y. Couldn't have done it without the info on this thread. So proud.

OT: I'm assuming even though they are in the same egg group. The Nidos do not apply as well?
Someone posted further up that the Nidorina they caught also had 3 perfect IVs, so it seems to. (Though only Nidorina and Nidoqueen out of the Nidos are in the no egg group)

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OP should be updated with all the pokemon who can be caught with the three flawless IVs.

Thank you, I was afraid I had been wasting my time.
I didn't understand those saying there is a mechanic for shinies' IVs in wild encounters. Maybe in Vth gen? Currently, now that I think about it, it is debunked by the fact that the Safari Pokémon all have two perfect IVs and an increased chance at shininess.
I have found two shiny Fraxure, one with 2 perfect IVs, one with 3 perfect IVs.

You're just lucky. I checked my husband's shiny Klefki. It's best stat is its speed, which is only "fantastic" according to the IV checker. (Also, it has a 0 in defense, ouch!)
Out of curiosity, was the shiney Klefki caught or from breeding?

OP should be updated with all the pokemon who can be caught with the three flawless IVs.
Well, anything *can* be caught with three flawless IVs. However, the Pokemon that are *always* caught with three flawless IVs are all of the members of the No-Eggs Group (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Undiscovered_(Egg_Group)). To be honest, it seems to me like this was a glitch/unintended side effect of making all Legendaries get three flawless IVs.

In gen 5 pid are not related to ivs, not sure if that changed.
but did have heard many people getting ived shinies

So I've been thinking about breeding a good Chimecho.

However, Recover is an egg move for only Chingling.

So how does one go about doing this? Because usually you need Everstone + Destiny Knot to get a good baby, but to get a Chingling you need a Pure Incense as well. Do I just use Pure Incense/Destiny Knot and then hope I get the correct nature by breeding?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)