In Game Tiers, Platinum Edition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
130 HP and 110 SpA is substantially more stable than any of the other options excepting Gyara, excluding Empoleon since getting a second water type is obviously useless if you started with Piplup. Floatzel dies to things looking at it too carefully, and Remoraid is a pain to get comparatively. Vaporeon gets a very solid movepool with Surf and excellent stats, much better than the other options available.

The idea is that you use both Scyther and Starly. Obviously there's a conflict, but you need something to Fly and in this game there is absolutely no reason to use anything but Starly for that purpose
I was under the impression Tropius + Bibarel was the standard HM mule pair. True, Tropius is had quite late, so I guess Starly line until then.

About the GTS glitch - I can't do it because of other people doing it. I know HOW to do it in theory - I just can't make a trade by seeking, because all I get are requests for level 9 palkia and suchlike. You can only offer one Pokemon at a time - that's the one you're trying to glitch evolve. Meaning you then have to make another trade by seeking - and that's not easy to do, especially early in the story when you have few Pokemon, and thus even less chance of meeting the ~10% of requests that are reasonable (ie possible, not legendary for something common, not level 100 NFE - basically not what the glitch exploiters request).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Every time I need to evolve something, I just trade a Bidoof for another Bidoof. I'm guess I'm just lucky, then.

The difference is that I offer my Kadabra/Machoke/etc and ask for a lv<10 Arceus :/ I don't really know which pokémon would be a good choice for in-game GTS.

Manaphy (duh, this guy's worthy of S)
Manaphy's not S because you need a Pokemon Ranger game and a second DS to get him.

BIG EDIT:

I think there need to be some grading criteria to be honest. There's been a load of discussion, but no-one seems to have actually nailed down what makes a Pokemon S, or B, or whatever. (OK, I haven't read the whole thread.). Without criteria, it's going to be too vague.

I'll suggest the following as a starting point. You're welcome to suggest changes.:

Criteria for inclusion: Obtainable in Platinum without using dual-slot mode and without being a swarm. Not necessarily pre E4, since there is a little storyline after that - but being obtained only post E4 will likely lower tiering. For the most part, only the final evolution needs to be listed; the exception is if there is any reason to either want to use an NFE, or be forced to (eg inability to trade evolve)

S: An absolutely excellent Pokemon, virtually beyond criticism. A Pokemon you ask someone why they don't use it, not why they use it. I suggest a cap of 6 Pokemon for S tier; using all 6 being considered the 'best' possible choice. It would be entirely reasonable for NO Pokemon to be in S tier.

A: An excellent Pokemon; most likely best in its role (eg best water physical sweeper) and a role you would want. Maybe some minor drawbacks, or maybe outdone by an S tier Pokemon. Two Pokemon that do basically the same thing should not both be A.

B: A very good Pokemon, but not without its flaws. Maybe outdone by others, maybe a role that helps but you don't really need, or perhaps just obtained rather later than alternatives.

C: A Pokemon that is 'good', but has drawbacks or limitations, either in itself or compared to others. More good than bad though.

The top four grades are considered 'pass'. If you nominate a Pokemon for it, it should be one you might well use.

D: A Pokemon that you would say is 'bad', for whatever reason. There's no particular reason to use it, either because others are generally better, or because it's just not something you generally need. However, it does have some uses or advantages.

E: A very bad Pokemon, but not totally awful.

F: An utterly awful Pokemon, one no-one would advocate seriously using. If anyone can think of a good reason a Pokemon is not F tier, then it's not F tier. (Note: F is no longer for Pokemon that can't be had - they're not being tiered at all)

The bottom 3 grades are 'fail', and you should only nominate a Pokemon for them if you probably wouldn't use it on a fresh playthrough.

By these guidelines, I'll rate some myself.

Empoleon: A or B. Water/Steel is great typing, losing the water type's grass weakness (and striking back with peck or drill peck) and steel's fire, and getting the usual boatload of steel resistances. Being a starter it's obviously easy to get, but there is the drawback you have to choose it over the others. It does take a little while (until level 19) to get a decent water move, while later on that ground weakness makes it not as good as other waters for beating Bertha of the E4. (And yes, Hydro Cannon isn't very relevant because it's got too late. Empoleon's still good though.)

Kadabra: C or B. Obviously outclassed by Alakazam, and somewhat fragile, but like I said before, a good special sweeper. A plus point (which applies to zam as well) is an Abra can be had by in-game trade for an easily caught Machop, and thus grows quicker, helping get it to evolve into Kadabra.

Medicham: C, maybe B. Very powerful, but very fragile, and the risk of Hi Jump Kick missing hurts.

Rotom (without Secret Key): C. Doesn't get very good moves without TMs I feel. Maybe B or D depending on how it compares to other electrics.

Blissey: C or D. By my own criteria I'd have to say C, because I'd use her again, I like having Softboiled. As has been discussed, not everyone cares for it, and there's little call for a wall for ingame stuff, so D would be reasonable. She does need a TM to be at all useful. Something I didn't mention before about Blissey - she can help with catching some of the legendaries, with Sing (X-accuracy or Defog to make it hit) and the ability to shrug off special hits.

Rapidash: C or B. Pretty good, but I'm not sure you need a fire type, and of course outclassed by Infernape in most respects.

Bibarel: A, for HM mule utility and ease of getting. It could even do as a water type for battles in a pinch, though I think most would run something better.

Tropius: A or B. Another good HM mule. The fact that Tropius and Bibarel seems to be the de facto standard would point to it being A, but being got in the Great Marsh suggests B.

Neither Tropius nor Bibarel are S, because they're just not good enough at battling (certainly not with HM movesets), and I'm sure there are other HM mule pairs.

Gallade: B or C. A fairly good catcher despite the Hypnosis accuracy going back to 60% (X accuracy or defog fixes that). However, the flying weakness is NOT good when going for the legendary birds, and you have to breed it to get Mean Look, then hatch a bunch of eggs to find a male.

ok you can go make your tier list, adults are talking

hmm well I propose that Cranidos be moved up to B. it has massive attack (evolves ten levels later and gains a gigantic attack) and comes with the very acceptable headbutt. power dies down a little around 5th gym, but by then you can teach it moves like giga impact (incredible ingame), earthquake (though I'd use it on gible) and it learns the awesome zen headbutt by level up

Negative for Cranidos is you have to dig up the fossil in the underground. You've only got a 50% chance of finding skull fossils as opposed to armour (I think it goes on your secret id) and even then fossils are on the rare side.

Whether you get Skull or Armor Fossils is dependant on your Trainer ID. Even is Armor Fossil, odd is Skull Fossil. If you want to use a Cranidos, you can just reset until you get an odd ID, so that's not too difficult. But obviously once you pick your starter or save, it can be a pain to have to reset at that point.

Digging it up is not a big deal, but at the time you can get it (Eterna), it's going to have a tough time, despite being at an acceptable level (Level 20). It's weak to Gardenia's Grass-types, is neutral to Fantina's Ghosts (and Headbutt doesn't effect them, which will probably be Cranidos' main attack for a while) and is weak to the following gyms until... what, Candice? Though since I'm unfamiliar with Cranidos' level up moveset, it may get Zen Headbutt early enough for Maylene, and it might be faster if it's decently leveled. If you give it the Earthquake TM, it helps dealing with the Magneton you'll encounter at Canalave and Iron Island, but everything except Magneton has massive defense or Levitate (Bronzor). Giving up Earthquake is not a big deal in Platinum since you can just get more at the Battle Frontier post-game, unless somethng else in your party wants it. Also really wants that Rock Polish TM, but that's one of a kind, IIRC, and if you started with Turtwig you may want it for him.

you can teach it moves like giga impact (incredible ingame)
If you LOVE the Game Corner.

earthquake (though I'd use it on gible)
Basically the second part.

it learns the awesome zen headbutt by level up
Level 36 is a tad on the late side, though. (Cranidos learns at Level 33, this is for Rampardos.)

I'd just like to point out that you SHOULD be getting Cranidos after Cycling Road, unless you actually bothered to go all the way around back to Oreburgh from the west for the sole purpose of reviving Cranidos, then turning around and going back the way you came.

Also, Rampardos's only natural Rock move before Level 52 (lol Level 43 Cranidos) is Ancientpower, which doesn't fit well with it's 65 Base SpA. Of course, you can always use the rather weak Rock Tomb, and later, Rock Slide, but even so...

Also, before leaving the subject of Bronzor, I've found that if you catch it before you fight Gardenia, it is one of the few Pokemon that can withstand Roserade, and if it has Extrasensory, it can put a number on the leafy dancer. It also performs well versus Fantina for similar reasons, though it's usefulness drops off from there.
Anyone want to say something? I mean, giving it the same rank as Pachirisu, Riolu, Feebas, e.t.c. is kind of low for a Pokemon who can take any attack Candice throws at it, unlike some (read: all) S Tier Pokemon. And even if walls suck in-game, it's not like in-game you have to make any sort of commitment to use the Pokemon throughout the entire game. If you catch Bronzor for Gardenia, then ditch it, then catch/ditch it again for Candice, it's not eating up too much of your precious EXP. while providing a way to stand up to Roserade and Froslass.

In short, Bronzor for C.

Blissey IS useful in-game. Softboiled is well worth it, because it lets you keep all your other Pokes in top health, and saves you MONEY - instead of using a potion (or Super, Hyper, Max etc) on everyone, use Softboiled and then use potions only on Blissey.
Here's the thing about Softboiled, it heals the same amount of HP as Blissey uses up. Therefore, the only time when it would be useful (other than wasting time in battle to heal), is when you only have Hyper or Max Potions. Even with that a Hyper Potion costs 1200 which is more than 3 Lemonaides (350) and heals less (240 total). A Max Potion costs 2500 which means Blissey would need 571 HP to make it worth using. (2500/350*80=571).

I'll post some things about the Pokemon I've used later, but I basically agree with the OP.

Edit:

Piplup: A or B. It's a good Pokemon, and has a decent level up movepool, but it isn't as good as Turtwig or Chimchar, due in part to it's secondary STAB and having to put up with Bubble for longer. IMO, Flash Cannon is pretty useless because you can already hit Rock SE and most Ice types can't do much back. It's also resisted by Waters and Electrics, two types that you already wouldn't be as effective against.

Starly: S. This is the best ingame Flying Pokemon, in any game, IMO. (The legends come a bit late and I haven't used Scyther yet.) It gets Wing Attack early and has good attack and speed. It's hard to take down Rock-types until you get Close Combat, but it evolves pretty early. Intimidate is also a great ability.

Chimchar: S? Sure it's really powerful and useful, but for some reason I didn't have as much fun with it as with Starly.

Shinx: B. Good STAB early and midgame, but needs Thunderbolt or Thunder later on. (Discharge comes pretty late.) Crunch was what got me past Fantina in Diamond, but of course you'd only have Bite in Platinum. It's still good for Lucian, though. Not much of a movepool beyond that. Intimidate is still useful.

Budew: B. Mega Drain destroys Roark and the Rock types around there and is good for healing if you get a SE hit. It started losing power around Lv. 20 but it evolved around then anyway. After that it was still pretty good until Lv. 40 when it got Petal Dance and I evolved it, and obviously got better. Sludge Bomb is another good STAB and I believe you get it in the Galactic Headquarters so it isn't much out of the way.

Buneary: D. This was just terrible. Never in my game did I think "Oh, Buneary doesn't suck as much as it used to." It's utterly walled by Rock-types and Jump Kick doesn't help much. Mine evolved at Lv. 40.

Geodude: B. STAB Rock and Ground moves are great, but it's basically useless against faster Waters and Grasses. It does do very well against the Steel gym, although the starters are also good for that.

I really don't see how Rotom, without the secret key, is that much better than Shinx. The Ghost STAB doesn't come into play until Ominous Wind at Lv. 29, as Astonish won't be doing much. Luxray will still get Crunch at level 35, so unless you give it Shadow Ball it won't outdamage Luxray because of the higher attack. Also, they both have the same Special Attack and learn Discharge reletively close together (50 and 56). Rotom does have significantly higher speed than Luxray, but I find you still outrun most Pokemon that aren't extremely fast. It really just comes down to when you get it and trading a weakness for a few resistances.

On a side note, my brother got a shellos and ditched it after a half-an-hour.

Also, Manaphy should be F. You need a completely different game to get it. If we include it in this list, then why don't we just include Murkrow, or Bagon, or Mewtwo. I agree that if you have the chance to get it, it should be atleast A, but the point is you can't get it with Platinum.

I was under the impression Tropius + Bibarel was the standard HM mule pair. True, Tropius is had quite late, so I guess Starly line until then.
Main thing is that Starly and Scyther are both complete beasts ingame; as stated in the OP, Scyther doesn't mind Rock Smash for coverage and only really needs Wing Attack off of Technician to do damage, and Starly is obviously amazing with Close Combat, Return, and the Flying attack of your choice. Between them you get 4 HMs, the equivalent of an HM slave, without actually sacrificing any utility in your team. As such you can just use Bibarel for whatever you happen to be missing and go through the game without having to switch around your party to get through certain areas.

... I'm sorry for being immature. I lost my temper there for a second (for unrelated reasons, mostly, it's that cursed school.) I'll try to be intelegent, now.

Still, putting all the currnet ranks PLUS the ones I made earlier today in one post.

Hoothoot (D)- HORRID base stats, 1 or 2 good moves factoring TMs (Roost and Psychic). At least you can catch it in Eterna Forest.

Spirtomb (D)- Relies on a hard and time consuming side mission, stats somewhat like Bronzong. He does not have any hindering weaknesses though (in fact, he doesn't have weaknesses at all!)

Wooper (C)- Has a good typing (and is caught past the gym with his one weakness) and a great ability (water absorb), only to be dragged down by a bad ability (damp), the fact that you're starter is evolved when he get's his best attack (EQ), and a _decent_ base stat total. Outclassed by Gyara, and Floatzel to an extent.

Wingull (D)- Caught after the fourth gym, low speed upon evolution, bad movepool.

Girafarig (B)- Usable stats and good movepool, odd yet great typing. Caught a bit late though.

Hippopotas (C)- Caught late, involves tedios side quest, slow ability, just slow. Workable typing and movepool.

Azurill (D)- Nigh on imposible to get in decent time, one of it's abilities stinks. Huge power Azumarril is good, but... just pass this one up.

Skorupi (D)- I personally don't want to spend days waiting at the binoculars, wasting money to find a pokemon with OK typing and bad attacks.

Croagunk (D)- This pokemon is most notable for the _hours_ spent trying to get one with a Black Sludge. When the fourth Elite four member is a Psychic type, Poison/Fighting isn't that worthwhile.

Carnivine (D)- Looking past Power whip and Crunch, what do you get? A whole lot of nothing.

Remoraid (A) - Get a good rod, and you can instantly have a pokemon with, quite possibly, the best movepool in the game. It is slow, and it has a somewhat bad type, but you can easily have Surf, Ice Beam, Charge Beam, Psychic, Energy Ball, Wring out, Focus Energy, Flamethrower, Sludge bomb, Signal Beam... my head is spinning!

Finneon (C) - Decent movepool (flying, water, ice, bug.), and bad stats. Outclassed by Remoraid.

Tentacool (C) - Great stats, bad attacking type. Not to good movepool, and caught late. At least you'll never have trouble finding it.

Mantyke (C) - Tentacool with a bad evolution method, a bit rarer, and SLIGHTLY better attacking types.

Snover (D) - Ice and Grass are good STABS, but a bad ability, a slightly underwhelming movepool, and a VERY lategame catch makes a bad pokemon.

Gligar (C) - Mr. "I don't learn a STAB move by level up is also outclassed by Gible.

Nosepass (C) - Proof that an early game capture and evolution, plus a steel type do NOT a good pokemon make. Bad movepool, ROCK/STEEL (aka one of the worst defensive typings in the game) type, not so good stats.

Ralts (Gardevoir) - A: A good psychic is hard to get ingame, but Gardevoir fits the bill. It is better then Alakazam ingame, due to the better ingame BST (has decent defenses), and access to the almighty Thunderbolt. Is hard to level up until it is fully evolved, though.

Ralts (Gallade) - B: Caught at the same time as Gardevoir, but much worse. Bad movepool (only moves that stick out are False swipe and Close Combat) without TMs, and while you can use Kirlea for less time, the pokemon you will face mostly use physical moves... that Gallade can't take. Ow.

Lickitung - C: Without being able to use STAB explosion, Lickylicky loses it's niche. HOWEVER, it is avalable early, and can learn a few good moves via level up. Pure normal isn't THAT bad of a type, but there are better though.

Eevee (Vaporeon) - B: By far the best Eeveelution, but that isn't saying much. Vappy only gets the normal water moves and Shadow Ball, really. Still, water isn't THAT BAD of a type... it's just increadably stacked. I'll make a post later in this thread about how Vaporeon doesn't stack up to competition, read that if you disagree. (Note: Please do not argue with me on this one, it spawned all of the problems. It is as good as Floasel, Floatsel is B, therefore Vaporeon is B)

Eevee (Jolteon) - C: The Eeveelutions all have bad movepools, but Jolteon takes that to the next level: he doesn't get ANY good moves via level up! That, and his movepool (actually, movepuddle) is predominantly physical: off of 65 base attack! If it had only 10 more base attack, it would be vying for S... but it doesn't.

Eevee (Flareon) - D: Infernape, Houndour, hell, even Rapidash were avalable, and you chose FLAREON? It's best attack is Fire Fang!

Eevee (Espeon) - C: A great type, ruined by a movepuddle of Psychic and Shadow Ball. Remember, back before the Physical/Special split, Bite was it's claim to fame? All psychics get the more powerful Shadow Ball now.

Eevee (Umbreon) - D: Hits like a punch from a two year old. Has the same problems as the other Eeveelutions. Put it together, and you get... Umbreon!

Eevee (Leafeon) - D: My origanal scetch had this guy with B: because Grass is a good type in ingame D/P/Pt, and good grass types are hard to get. However, I soon reilised that it's best two moves (SD and Leaf Blade) come after level 70. No. Choose Tangrowth or Torterra (just because

Eevee (Glaceon) - D: If it were avalable as early as the other Eeveelutions, it would be huge. Ice types are ALWAYS good to have. But alas, it is found around the same time as Mamoswine, Weavile, and Abomasnow.

Swablu - C: It's caught midway through the game, and and is the worst of it's type. However, when that type is Dragon, that's not all that bad. Still, a movepool that reeks of support is not good ingame, and DD sweeping is best left to Gyara.

Togepi - C: While getting a level 1 pokemon when you're team is level 20 isn't as bad as, say, Riolu, for a while, you're gonna be hard pressed to raise this guy. Togekiss is powerful, but not worth the long wait.

Houndour - A: It isn't Infernape, but it's definately second best. Dark STAB and good mixed stats (and Thunder Fang!) make this guy the best Fire type for non-Chimchar users, although I wouldn't suggest using him if you did get Chimchar.

Magnemite - B: Caught late, but can ALWAYS evolve in 2 or 3 levels. Steel/Electric in a universe where Dual typed Electrics are scarce is always good. Next job on Nintendo's to-do-list: Make Magnazone's signature move special.

Tangela - A: Best. Grass. Type. In the game. Bar none. Torterra, eat you're heart out: Mixed Grass is INSANELY useful ingame. And that's just what Tangrowth is: able to hit from both sides of the spectrum. He's avalable in the Safari Zone every day, and he is caught at JUST the right moment for a grass (before Crasher Wake). Actually, this guy's likely worthy of an S, but I don't think people will respond well to an S ranked Tangrowth.

Yanma - B: One could make a case to evolve Yanma late to get Hypnosis on Yanmega. Still, a Safari Zone capture is what it is, and it's a shame: This is, by far, THE BEST bug in the game (again, barring two: But this time, it's the S ranked Scizor and A ranked Heracross)

Tropius - A: See: Biberal. If you have this (or Skarmory) you have ALL of the TMs covered.

Rhyhorn - C: Would it kill the guys at Gamefreak to make Rhyhorn more avalable? Same problems as Geodude, but slightly better.

Duskull - C: Until you get the Reaper's Cloth, there won't be much offense coming from the Duskull line. Even when you do, it is outclassed by Gengar in just about every respect.

Porygon - B: Obtained somewhat early, evolves into the all powerful Porygon-Z: In a "metagame" without priority, hard hitting attacks, or the nasty stuff PoryZ hates. Besides, it get's infected with a freaking virus. HOW COULD YOU RESIST? Course, being a pure normal special sweeper bites...

Electabuzz (that's what you catch it as) - C: Movepool up the ass, good typing, you get the item for evolution soon after capture, what could go wrong? What? You get it really late in the game? Argh!

Magmar - C: Meh. By the time you get it, the movepool is wasted, cause you should have Houndoom or Infernape by then.

Swinub - C: What's that? An Ice type past D? Yep! Mamoswine would be B, even if it is a late catch, just because it's so damned strong! ...of course, you need to waste a Heart Scale to evolve it, AND use a useless special move, but whatever.

SNEASEL (wasn't on the list) - D: Caught so late, it doesn't matter. In the one environment it can survive hits, it's D. (course, if you started with Empoleon, you don't need an Ice type, and Houndoom takes over dark...)

Speaking of Tangela, if it's not A already, it definitely should be. You don't get it until the Safari Zone, but it's one of those Pokemon that are available every day there, and you can catch it before fighting Crasher Wake. It shouldn't take it long to evolve (it should evolve at 34 since it learns AncientPower at 33, and you can probably catch it around level 30 in the Safari Zone), you can easily Heart Scale Sleep Powder (!) back onto it, it can use Swords Dance, and has a pretty good movepool, able to hit from both sides of the spectrum. There's also an AncientPower tutor if I recall, and if it's the one just outside of Pastoria, then you can evolve right there with enough Shards (though you probably won't). After handling Pastoria Gym, Tangela can take on the Steelix and Rock/Ground types on Iron Island with Mega Drain (or your Grass Knot if you decided to use the TM) and even the Golbat if it's already gotten AncientPower. Candice might not be too great since Tangrowth is slow but it can take on the Swinub line and slower Ice-types with Grass-type attacks and AncientPower, respectively (though Candice's Mamoswine may be too fast). It resists Volkner's Electric-types and can learn Earthquake, so it can take on him if need be, though Earthquake is maybe better saved for something else. It should take on Bertha pretty well at the Elite Four, but I don't feel like it particularly shines there. It can AncientPower Cynthia's Togekiss, but be wary of her Milotic unless you're sure you can OHKO it since I'm pretty sure it has Ice Beam.

Tangrowth also has a ton of cool factor.

Here's the thing about Softboiled, it heals the same amount of HP as Blissey uses up. Therefore, the only time when it would be useful (other than wasting time in battle to heal), is when you only have Hyper or Max Potions. Even with that a Hyper Potion costs 1200 which is more than 3 Lemonaides (350) and heals less (240 total). A Max Potion costs 2500 which means Blissey would need 571 HP to make it worth using. (2500/350*80=571).
That is a good point actually. I didn't keep healing items lower than Hyper Potions around, maybe I should have. However, Lemonade may not be the relevant comparison. Sure it's good value, but you have to buy them one at a time and they're only sold in Veilstone. Consider the difference in effort between buying say 50 Lemonades versus 50 of any sort of Potion.

Speaking of Tangela, if it's not A already, it definitely should be. You don't get it until the Safari Zone, but it's one of those Pokemon that are available every day there, and you can catch it before fighting Crasher Wake. It shouldn't take it long to evolve (it should evolve at 34 since it learns AncientPower at 33, and you can probably catch it around level 30 in the Safari Zone), you can easily Heart Scale Sleep Powder (!) back onto it, it can use Swords Dance, and has a pretty good movepool, able to hit from both sides of the spectrum. There's also an AncientPower tutor if I recall, and if it's the one just outside of Pastoria, then you can evolve right there with enough Shards (though you probably won't). After handling Pastoria Gym, Tangela can take on the Steelix and Rock/Ground types on Iron Island with Mega Drain (or your Grass Knot if you decided to use the TM) and even the Golbat if it's already gotten AncientPower. Candice might not be too great since Tangrowth is slow but it can take on the Swinub line and slower Ice-types with Grass-type attacks and AncientPower, respectively (though Candice's Mamoswine may be too fast). It resists Volkner's Electric-types and can learn Earthquake, so it can take on him if need be, though Earthquake is maybe better saved for something else. It should take on Bertha pretty well at the Elite Four, but I don't feel like it particularly shines there. It can AncientPower Cynthia's Togekiss, but be wary of her Milotic unless you're sure you can OHKO it since I'm pretty sure it has Ice Beam.

Tangrowth also has a ton of cool factor.
*Does a double take* Woah woah woah WOAH! It's avalable EVERY DAY?!? Wow, I'm stupid. That was the reason I ranked him "B" - because he was one of those rare ones like Croagunk.

And yeah, Mixed Grass is the best type in the ingame Platinum. Course, Physical and special by themselves work, but Physical isn't as good against Bertha, and Special isn't as good against that Milotic.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fastest way to beat the game is to just blast through it with Infernape and grab the legendary pokemon on the way (assuming you should be getting it). Add 2 HM slaves and you're done.

But then that's extremely boring so...
Starter / Gyarados / Garchomp / Starmory / Bibrael / X
I disagree. Empoleon is better purely for resistances and when it's the only pokemon you're training it stiill OHKO's just about eveything. I ran through it using Empoleon and EXP sharing Bronzong and ended up against the Elte Four with a level 70 Empolron and a level 55 Bronzong without powerlevelling.
Empoleon wins, no question.

That is a good point actually. I didn't keep healing items lower than Hyper Potions around, maybe I should have. However, Lemonade may not be the relevant comparison. Sure it's good value, but you have to buy them one at a time and they're only sold in Veilstone. Consider the difference in effort between buying say 50 Lemonades versus 50 of any sort of Potion.
Yeah, I never did like how slow it is to buy Lemonade, but usually I buy around 10 Lemonades/Soda Pops and then I'm set until the Pokemon League. Hyper Potion does out rank Super Potion significantly, though, and Blissey only needs 179 HP for Max Potion to be better. Still, walls are pretty useless ingame (and Chansey's hard to find) and Softboiled doesn't make up for that.

Electabuzz (that's what you catch it as) - B: Movepool up the ass, good typing, you get the item soon after capture, what could go wrong? What? You get it really late in the game? Argh!
So, you're saying that Elekid is B, despite being caaught at a point in the game when you're at the Gym that resists all of it's natural moves (barring Low Kick), then beats up LOL SWIMMERS, then loses to the overwhelming amount of Ground types in the second hardest cave in the game. Then, after all that losing, it's NEUTRAL to the E4. Really, if you're going on about how great Ice types are but that they're caught too late to be useful, why doesn't this apply to Elekid, who's caught later and has less real use?

Too much work for zilch. D tier, I say.

So, you're saying that Elekid is B, despite being caaught at a point in the game when you're at the Gym that resists all of it's natural moves (barring Low Kick), then beats up LOL SWIMMERS, then loses to the overwhelming amount of Ground types in the second hardest cave in the game. Then, after all that losing, it's NEUTRAL to the E4. Really, if you're going on about how great Ice types are but that they're caught too late to be useful, why doesn't this apply to Elekid, who's caught later and has less real use?

Too much work for zilch. D tier, I say.
I'm saying that ElecTABUZZ (Why do people asume that you catch Elekid? I've never understood that), which can be trade evolved for a Vire, has some of the best coverage in the game. Fire Punch (Heart Scale move), Thunderbolt/punch, Low Kick/Brick Break, and something like T-wave hits a lot. OK, maybe B was to much, but it at least is a C. (although it IS less useful than Mamo.)

All right, I think I have enough info to put together a good article. Expect to see a draft in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)