In Game Tiers, Platinum Edition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mekkah brought up this topic for previous games, and it only seems fitting that we should look into this topic for Platinum. Now, there are a few standards that we should be looking at when Tiering Pokemon for In-Game Purposes:
  • Availability - Can I get this Pokemon early enough in the game or at a level close enough to the Pokemon I currently have?
  • Moves - Does this Pokemon have a get set of moves that aren't all of the same type and don't require many TMs?
  • Stats - Does this Pokemon have a usable Stat distribution?
  • Type - Does this Pokemon's type give it usable STABs and useful resistances?
  • Matchups - What Gym Leaders does it match up good against, does it have trouble or fly through large areas of the game?
Now this is just a small part of what I think tiers would be like. S being Superior (A+ if you will), and A - D like your normal School Grades. I encourage you all to discuss every Pokemon until we have every Pokemon in a tier, because this might be used for a future article on the site...... (Note: This assumes that people can Trade to evolve, but beyond that, they aren't trading to get Pokemon and are only using Items found in the game)

Being outclassed by ________ doesn't really say anything about a Pokemon. If there was a Pokemon that had 10 worse than Staraptor line in every stat, but had everything else the same, it would still be in S tier. It just wouldn't be as good as Staraptor, but that'd be represented by putting him below Staraptor to begin with (but Pokemon within a tier shouldn't be ordered because that is too messy to agree on).
(Note: Pokemon in each Tier aren't arranged in any order)

S
---
  • Chimchar - Wide Movepool, hits both side of the spectrum
  • Starly - Fast, Strong, Reliable STABs, Close Combat keeps it useful later
  • Scyther - Technician + Stab + Wing Attack and Rock Smash is a killer combo. Swords Dance later doesn't hurt at all either!
A
---
  • Rotom - Ghost/Electric are good STABs, Doesn't need many TMs other Pokemon use
  • Magikarp - No STAB till level 35, and training till level 20 is annoying, but Dragon Rage is a useful early game move. Late game however, it is able to sweep the Elite 4 Easily, not to mention that it gets Dragon Dance.
  • Turtwig - a beginner Pokemon so it is obviously easy to obtain. However, it is slow and doesn't learn Earthquake until evolving much later. Once it finishes evolving, you can easily have a moveset of EQ / Wood Hammer / Curse / Stone Edge by the time you reach the Elite 4. Ice-type attacks are rather scarce in this game but Turtwig is generally useless during the 7th gym (Team Galactic focusing on Flying-types such as the Zubat line and Murkrow, while Candice's gym specializes in Ice).
  • Bidoof/Bibarel - good for speed and efficiency games mainly for the fact that it is the best HM slave
  • Gible - Gible is now accessible without Strength, as is TM26 (Earthquake), and Garchomp is beastly throughout the game; it evolves a bit late, though
  • Azelf - Received late at a high level, very strong with commonplace TMs like Flamethrower
  • Piplup - Starter, Empoleon is reasonably strong and has a lot of resistances
  • Heracross - Can be difficult to find, but has a nice learnset that needs no TM supplement and good stats
  • Giratina - It comes at a high level, and its type is decent for the Elite Four, Shadow Force is excellent
  • Meditite - Fragile and levels up fast, but Medicham is very powerful
B
---
  • Budew - Helpful early game, but only learns grass moves and isn't helpful beyond Crasher Wake
  • Ponyta - Decent Chimchar replacement, Flame Wheel is nice
  • Mesprit - Received late at a high level, but Azelf is better
  • Abra - It's a pain to raise until it evolves and needs TMs for a diverse moveset, but Alakazam is easy to get with the GTS evolving trick and extremely strong
  • Shinx - Very good early in the game, but mostly outclassed by Rotom
  • Geodude - Useful early, but has too many weaknesses
  • Psyduck - Very common, good substitute for Piplup
  • Machop - Gets many Fighting-type moves, but not much else until EPunches
  • Buizel - Crunch at level 26 is fantastic, but Water STABs are weak until Waterfall
  • Drifloon - Doesn't get a really good move until Ominous Wind, but Gust is good against Gardenia
C
---
  • Uxie - Received late at a high level, but quite weak offensively
  • Zubat - Hard to raise and outclassed by Starly
  • Absol - Received too late to be of much use, but Dark moves are strong
  • Cranidos - Doesn't get many good moves by level
  • Shellos - Other Water-types are better
  • Bonsly - Received fairly late, outclassed
  • Mime Jr. - Received fairly late, outclassed
  • Aipom - Doesn't get many good moves, but Return might suffice
  • Gastly - Doesn't get good moves until later or with TMs
  • Goldeen - Use Gyarados
  • Barboach - Shellos is better because it can be gotten earlier
  • Cleffa - Broad TM learnset, but weak
  • Chatot - You can get it in Eterna City as a trade, but Starly is a better Flyer
  • Pichu - Thunderbolt and Nasty Plot are nice, but Pichu is underleveled when you get it
D
---
  • Feebas - Unavailable until late in the game, then a pain to raise. Although Milotic is pretty good, the pain to get Feebas doesn't make using her worth it.
  • Kricketot - Horrible Moves, Weak overall
  • Burmy - Horrible Movepool
  • Wurmple - '' ''
  • Cherubi - '' ''
  • Unown - lol Hidden Power
  • Riolu - Hatch at level 1 when your pokemon are 40ish
  • Dialga - Get too late in the game to help speedrun
  • Palkia - Get too late in the game to help speedrun
  • Shieldon - Relying on Metal Burst to do damage is not a good idea
  • Onix - Very weak, use Metal Coat on Scyther
  • Pachirisu - Why does this thing even exist
  • Snorunt - Gotten too late to be useful
  • Combee - Weak overall
  • Chingling - Too weak
  • Munchlax - Snorlax is very good, but Munchlax is extremely rare
  • Buneary - Its 0 base experience makes it unusually hard to evolve, and it isn't particularly strong
  • Bronzor - Terrible offenses
  • Happiny - Unless you really want Softboiled to help heal your team, Blissey's pretty worthless ingame
F: (Can't even get in Platinum)
---
  • Misdreavus
  • Murkrow
  • Stunky
  • Glameow
  • Manaphy - If you can get it early, though, it's probably A or B
Pokemon that aren't tiered yet:
Code:
Hoothoot -
Spirtomb -
Wooper -
Wingull -
Girafarig -
Hippopotas -
Azurill -
Skorupi -
Croagunk -
Carnivine -
Remoraid -
Finneon -
Tentacool -
Mantyke -
Snover -
Manaphy -
Gligar -
Nosepass -
Ralts -
Lickitung -
Eevee -
Swablu -
Togepi -
Houndour -
Magnemite -
Tangela -
Yanma -
Tropius -
Rhyhorn -
Duskull -
Porygon -
Elekid -
Magby -
Swinub -

This looks very neat, and I may use it as a refrence when I start a new game of Platinum later on. I have a few ideas of which pokemon should go where.

Turtwig- S-Rank, of course. Razor Leaf at level 13 for strong STAB, gets EQ right as it evolves, great ATK, usuable SpA, good defences, has Leech Seed for stalling, along with Curse and Synthesis, gets Bite (and later on Crunch) for those god damn Bronzor, and it's a starter. Fares well against Rorak, Fantina (Bite), Crasher Wake, Bryan, and Volkner. The Quad ice waekness can easily be covered by another pokemon.

Piplup- A-Rank. Easy ascess, gets Bubble Beam fairly soon (Level 19, iirc), and can hold out that long because it can breeze through the first Gym. Gets great coverage with Water alone, and even better with a Grass move (Grass Knot, early TM) or Ice move (Ice Beam [late TM, but you can hold out] and Blizzard [before 4th badge]). Also gets Flash Cannon later on for a good second STAB. Helpful for Rorak, Bryon, and great for all the caves of Sinnoh. Also can double as a quasi-HM slave, as you can give it Surf and Waterfall, and it can use both well. As an Empoleon, it also boasts 11 resists and 1 immunity, so it can take many hits for a team.

Gible- S Rank, what did you think? =P You can get it a bit after the second Gym at about level 19 max. Before level 33, it get BOTH Slash and Dragon Claw for solid moves, gets Flamethrower/Fire Blast for added coverage, along with Crunch and Stone Edge. It can also get EQ via TM at the same time you catch it, or you can teach it Dig instead for STAB as soon as you get to Veilstone from the Digger guy. As a Gabite at level 24, it has great Speed and Attack for that time in the game, and decent defences. It is helpful for Byran and Volkner, along with several Elite Four pokemon. It also has a nice electric immunity, which can be very handy. It two drawbacks are that Gabite evolves quite late in the game, but you can hold out until Level 48, and the wait is well worth it. It also takes longer then most pokemon to level up, but the results are worth it.

I can edit in more rates/placements later if need be.

S
Piplup: Having a bulky water from the start is great. With great defenses, typing, and availabilty to mixed attacking, Empoleon can be a great asset. It can also count as an HM user but not be useless. Can also handle most of the Elite Four handily with Surf alone.

Eevee: Available early, and access to almost all the evolutions (at least the really useful ones) as soon as you can go underground, Eevee is a great asset. Vaporeon is great for Surfing and also bulkyness and a solid movepool. Although happyness can be annoying, getting Espeon or Umbreon can cover holes in your team. Even Flareon, with a lack of Stealth Rocks, becomes a great choice if you didn't choose Chimchar. The fact that you can chose from 5 different types with pretty good movepools makes Eevee fit into any slot you need filled. Also, if you SR for a female, you can get all the Eeveelutions early as well!

Gible: Having Dragon Rage is almost broken for the greater part of the game. You can 2HKO almost everything under the sun until the 5th or 6th gym. By that time you should surely have evolved him into his stronger hitting evolutions. Great typing help boost his in game usefulness further. Perfect for any run through.

A
Heracross: Having to resort to honey trees is a pain, but is definately worth it in the end. Great stats and great movepool with the use of some TMs give Heracross incredible coverage. The only bad thing is the fact he doesn't get a Bug STAB until Megahorn at 55.

B

Drifloon: Available early on and has alright typing. Stockpile can make this a tank in-game. The only problem is again, a shallow attack movepool.

Shinx: Although the level-up movepool doesn't offer much variety, when full evolved it can still hit hard from both ends of the spectrum. Having access to Signal Beam through tutor helps him as well.

C

Feebas: Unavailable until late in the game, then a pain to raise. Although Milotic is pretty good, the pain to get Feebas doesn't make using her worth it.

Bronzor: Although great typing, base stats and abilities give Bronzor a huge boost, the incredibly poor attacking movepool just don't make it worthwhile in game.

D

F
Stunky: Unavailable unless through trade.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Eevee: Can't get her until you beat the game. Although the Eeveelutions are great and can boost any team, she doesn't help at all in game.
In Platinum, you get Eevee as soon as you arrive in Hearthome. Easy access to evolution stones (via the underground) probably means that this should be higher.

Gible: also another low tier as he cannot be accessed to until the very later part of the storyline. While Garchomp, his evolved form, is probably one of the best pokemons we have in the game (in uber and just everything). But yeah low tier for the guy since he can't be accessed in the earlier part of teh game.

I'd bump Magikarp down a notch and give it a C, too much effort needs to be expended for relatively little gain, especially early on when you could be investing the experience into your starter to coast through the game with.

Shinx and its line is only useful if you chose Chimchar. It takes care of Crasher Wake easily enough and is handy against ghost types with Bite and Crunch. Evolves relatively fast too, which is nice. I'd give it a C overall, it's a bit more lackluster than I would have hoped for with its awesome design.

Togepi's useless as well, it's practically horrible until it evolves into Togekiss, which isn't possible until Iron Island, making it way too late for it to be of any use in the long run. Too much time,experience, and items are required to reap any real benefits from Togepi, so it should get a D rank.

Gible: also another low tier as he cannot be accessed to until the very later part of the storyline. While Garchomp, his evolved form, is probably one of the best pokemons we have in the game (in uber and just everything). But yeah low tier for the guy since he can't be accessed in the earlier part of teh game.
In Platinum, Gible is available after you get the HM for Cut, which is rather early in the game, at the same time that you get the Earthquake TM. It also learns Dragon Rage, which means that it can WITHOUT QUESTION, 2HKO every Pokemon for a large part of the game, and even after it evolves into Gabite/Garchomp, good luck finding something it takes 3 moves to kill.

I'd bump Magikarp down a notch and give it a C, too much effort needs to be expended for relatively little gain, especially early on when you could be investing the experience into your starter to coast through the game with.
Magikarp is a little useless that way, but I was able to abuse the Double Battle Trainers, by having a Lv 15 Magikarp with an Exp. Share, and having it battle until it got Aqua Tail. But keep in mind that Gyarados (like Gible) needs more exp to advance a level then pokemon like Starly and Chimchar

Also, please note that we are looking for Discussion here, not just write ups. If you feel someone has ranked something too high or low, feel free to reply and comment.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
D
Chatot- Not available until after beating the Elite Four, and doesn't do anything outside of what any other Normal/Flytin-type Pokemon already did for your team. Even his personal move Chatter isn't very useful, especially in heavily populated areas where screaming your head off at an inanimate object brings on stares.

S

Cleffa- is absolutely pathetic, but it evolves relatively easily (happiness is annoying but you can abuse the time thing to go to the Massage woman a lot) and has a wide movepool that its evolutions can capitalize on with their bulk and SpA. Also works as a superb status absorber with Magic Guard.

A

Heracross - Pretty hard to get (only reason why it isn't S), but you can get it early on, plus it gets really beastly moves (Aerial Ace and Brick Break before level 20, Night Slash by the Move Relearner, Close Combat at level 37, etc.)

B

Meditite- is available early on, and Pure Power makes it a beast. Although its own movepool is pretty crappy, it can be a beast with TMs, plus when it evolves it can get the elemental punches through the Relearner. Basically like a Magikarp with a lot more early power but later "blooming", per say.

I'll probably update later.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Pachirisu - D - Bad offenses, horrible movepool

Giratina - S - Excellent stats, excellent movepool, comes at level 47 which is the average level for that part of the game, it's part of the storyline so you need to encounter it anyways. Shadow Force, Dragon Claw, and Earth Power take care of most opponents in the game. It's a pain to catch, but then again, it's a legendary so its well worth the effort.

Spiritomb - C or D - Decent stats and no weaknesses, but its a pain to get and it doesn't learn much besides Ghost and Dark.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I absolutely disagree that Turtwig is S - it's far too slow to be useful late game unless you're powerleveling, which this guide isn't meant to show. I would lower Turtwig to A.

Gible is nowhere near an S either - it's probably closer to a B or a C, due to the fact that it eats up so much EXP to level, and for the fact that you have to do an optional cave in order to obtain it.

I recommend you guys to be careful in throwing out the S Rank - things like legends that you catch near end game shouldn't count, since you literally go without them for most of the game. Availability is definitely a factor in this.

Abra - A - Great SpAtk and Spe, but it is a pain to evolve into kadabra, while also not having an easy to get evolution. Those things are the only things keeping it out of S class. I soloed my platinum with this thing.

I don't know where it'd rank, but when I played through Platinum I found Zubat to be pretty good. Can't touch Roark and doesn't fare too well against Team Galactic's first appearance, but Wing Attack is the major turning point. Also gets Bite which is handy with its high Speed, and once it evolves into Crobat you can teach it Cross Poison. If anyone's interested, my Zubat's main milestones were: evolving into Golbat after defeating Gardenia, starting to try to evolve into Crobat on the route north of Solaceon (held it back so it wouldn't be overpowered and overshadow Prinplup) and finally got to evolve after Crasher Wake.

Something else to note is if you got the Secret Key while playing the story, Rotom can have some real fun. Never got to do this myself, but yeah. Somehow I doubt Byron or Candice would enjoy a Rotom-H's Overheat.

Also, I must disagree with this:

D
Chatot- Not available until after beating the Elite Four, and doesn't do anything outside of what any other Normal/Flytin-type Pokemon already did for your team. Even his personal move Chatter isn't very useful, especially in heavily populated areas where screaming your head off at an inanimate object brings on stares.
How is Chatot not available pre-E4? It's in the route between the restaurant and Pastoria, as well as the route towards Sunyshore.

I actually used Chatot in my Pearl story-run. Did the in-game trade for Charap the female Chatot and bred her with a random male Starly. Had to grind the baby Chatot up to the rest of the team's strength but it worked pretty well. Sing was pretty handy.

Also, record Chatter ahead of time and turn your sound all the way down in public places. I didn't even record a Chatter and my Chatot still went well. Didn't confuse anything, but still went well.

Finally, where's the Buizel love? Floatzel's fast, strong and learns some nice stuff (I believe it's the fastest Crunch user you can find during the story, and if you manage to get an early start with shard hoarding it can get Ice Punch). Only catch is for Water attacks before getting Waterfall you're stuck with Surf and/or Aqua Jet.

Gible is nowhere near an S either - it's probably closer to a B or a C, due to the fact that it eats up so much EXP to level, and for the fact that you have to do an optional cave in order to obtain it.
It's not that big of a deal when you consider what you get out of it. And yeah, he eats more EXP than the average Pokemon, but, the benefits you get from it are far greater than the average in-game Pokemon. You get a 2HKO guranteed for a good part of the game, then immense STABS, great coverage, and beastly stats. You don't even need to run a 6 man team if you get Gible.

Piplup - B, it's decent, and with Surf can do enough damage to get through E4. (Just beware of Cynthia's Garchomp).

If you're willing to spend a Heart Scale of it, Swords Dance + Aqua Jet = complete destruction of everything in sight.

We can assume that People would be allowed to trade to evolve any pokemon, since Platinum has a lot more of those pre elite 4 than DP.

Also, since this is assuming speed to get through the game, remember that TMs that aren't available pre-E4 or TMs gotten through the Game Corner probably won't count towards a Pokemon's grade

Bidoof/Bibarel - B - Water Gun can help with Roark, and Surf and Waterfall are pretty good moves later on. Yawn can help midgame, as AI trainers don't tend to switch, and Super Fang is there late game. Not the best overall, but can be helpful. Also makes for a great HM slave, which must count for something.

Chansey - S - Softboiled can help support the party and let you carry fewer potions, and Sing can be helpful. Plus, if you really feel like using her, she's on the fast EXP track. But Chansey's main use is the Lucky Egg. Bag a Lucky Egg Chansey and suddenly your experience problems are over. And she comes relatively early with this wonderful boon. I seriously think the Lucky Egg alone makes Chansey S-rank.

Happiny - D - No Lucky Egg, and must be caught as a daily pokemon from the Trophy garden. While 50% of the time she comes with her evolution-inducing oval stone, the Chansey line really doesn't bring all that much to the table. The hassle of getting her along with her lackluster performance overall puts Happiny squarely in D tier.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's not that big of a deal when you consider what you get out of it. And yeah, he eats more EXP than the average Pokemon, but, the benefits you get from it are far greater than the average in-game Pokemon. You get a 2HKO guranteed for a good part of the game, then immense STABS, great coverage, and beastly stats. You don't even need to run a 6 man team if you get Gible.
You can't really cite "beastly stats" - mostly because you're not getting Gible to 48 to evolve into Chomp unless the rest of your party is terribly underleveled. The 2hko is "nice", but Dragon Rage, remember, has a whopping total of 10 PP that's not going to last you very long. Chomp is no Gyaraodos either - Gyarados can sweep the entire elite 4 by itself at 44 - Garchomp can't do that.

Optional Cave matters - I don't really want to run that if i'm running a speed run, only to get some critter that's going to eat up all that exp. That definitely hurts Gible's ranking, IMO.

Bibarel is pretty high - partly because of his immense affinity to learning HMs. Best HM Slave in the game, hands down. I would give it an A just for the HMs it can learn.

You shouldn't be running 6 man parties during ingame anyway unless you're planning on powerlevelling, but that isn't the point of this thread.

Magikarp should be "A" simply because it can run through all of Elite 4 by itself with extreme ease. This should count a lot for its ranking, IMO.

Abra- A. You can catch it very early on and it's not that difficult to evolve. Level 16 is easy to attain, and once it get's it's STAB attack it can deal tons of damage to pretty much anything.

I'd say Floatzel should be S or A (most likely A). I used it in my Platinum run and it had some good advantages throughout the entire game, but the E4 is where it really shined for me. It decimated Bertha and Flint, and took out a couple of Lucian's Pokemon with crunch.

Machop - B - Level up moves aren't the best (Mostly Normal and Fighting moves), if you can trade you'll have yourself a nice machamp, most moves must be learned by either move tutor or TMs. It's available rather early (Prior first gym) Appart from it's attack stat, it's stats are pretty low. But his ability is what makes this pokemon superior. No guard + D-Punches hurts alot.

Gligar - A, decent movepool, can learn good moves true tutor, relearning and TM including; X-scissor, firefang, icefang, poison jab and EQ, available mid-game at a decent level (Although you need cut), it's abilities aren't the best, nor the worst. One of the down-sides is that it's weakness to water and ice is hard to get around. It's fairly good against the 6th and 8th by the use of it's groundtyping and earthquake attack.

S
---
  • Chimchar - Available from the start, excellent natural movepool, levels quickly and efficiently, has very few problems with any particular part of the game, good stats, and good typing. Being a Fire type is really handy.
  • Starly - Available as soon as you have some Pokeballs, very good natural movepool, levels quickly and efficiently, has very few problems with any particular part of the game, good stats, and decent typing.
  • Piplup - Available from the start, amazing natural movepool, level really easily, has very few problems with any part of the game, good stats, and good typing. Getting a bulky Water this early is awesome.
  • Buizel - Available very early on, a really good movepool for what he needs to do, levels very easily, almost no problems with any particular part of the the game and really shines end game, good stats, good typing.
  • Gastly (trade evolution available) - Available fairly early on, levels very well, fantastic natural movepool, excellent stats, and good typing. Handles mid-game and end-game very well. Considering you could have a Gengar by around the third gym, Gastly is a must catch.
  • Chansey - Available reasonably early on, levels well, fantastic natural movepool, sublime stats, and good typing. Is an amazing team support, especially with Softboiled, and amazing end-game. May have a few problems becoming a Blissey, but once it does (and that probably won't take that long), it really shines.
A
---
  • Turtwing - Available from the start, easy to level, good natural movepool, has problems end game, decent stats, decent typing. Not quite as good as the other two, but still very decent.
  • Magikarp - Available early, but will have problems with leveling. Excellent stats, excellent typing, has almost no problems with any particular part of the game, decent natural movepool.
  • Abra (trade evolution available) - Available early, but will have some problems leveling. Excellent stats, good typing, no problems with any particular part of the game apart from a few hitches mid game, excellent natural movepool.
  • Zubat - Available from start, quick to level, but may have problems evolving to Crobat. Excellent stats, excellent typing, has a few minor problems early game, decent natural movepool.
  • Machop (trade evolution available) - Available from start, easy to level, handles early game really well. Very good stats, decent typing, starts to fade a bit at the end game, and good natural movepool.
  • Gastly (trade evolution available) - Available fairly early on, levels very well, fantastic natural movepool, good stats, and good typing. Handles end-game very well. While not quite as good as Gengar, it is still a very good pick.
  • Bronzor - Available reasonable early on, levels decently, excellent natural movepool, good stats, and excellent typing. Handles end game well. Basically, probably the best Steel you will get, and great for spamming sleep.
  • Gible - Available nice and early on, but levels slowly and will take a while to reach its full potential. Amazing stats, and excellent typing, handles end game well. His only real problem is he needs to get to level 45 before truly standing out.
  • Clefairy - Available early on, but may have a few problems evolving. Good stats, and good typing for what it does. Movepool is amazing, and Clefable makes a really good team support Pokemon later on. Only real problem is a slight deficiency in the stats department, and being overshadowed by Chansey.
B
---
  • Shinx - Available as soon as you have a PokeBall, levels quickly. Has problems with end game. Bad natural move pool, decent stats, decent typing.
  • Abra (trade evolution not available) - Available early on, but will have some problems leveling. Acceptable stats, excellent typing, a few problems mid game, excellent natural movepool.
  • Budew - Available very early in the game, but may have some trouble evolving into a useful form. Excellent stats, acceptable typing, has quite a few problems mid game, excellent natural move pool.
  • Geodude (trade evolution available) - Available early on, and quick to level. Decent stats, mediocre typing, problems with the end game, acceptable natural movepool.
  • Psyduck - Available early on, and quick to level. Decent stats, excellent typing, good movepool, and has few problems. Mostly overshadowed by Buizel.
  • Onix (trade evolution available) - Available early on, levels decently. Good stats, good typing, lacklustre movepool, problems end game. Having a Steel type very early in the game is a godsend, but as the game progresses and you get access to better ones, Steelix will get left behind.
  • Machop (trade evolution not available) - Available from early on, easy to level, handles early game really well. Acceptable stats, decent typing, isn't much use at the end game, but decent natural movepool.
  • Ponyta - Available from early on, and serves as a useful Chimcar replacement, but has leveling problems. Decent stats, good typing, bad movepool, a few problems mid game.
  • Shellos - Available reasonably early on, and is a decent bulky water that levels well. Handles most of the game competently, acceptable stats, good typing, decent movepool.
  • Meditite - Available reasonably early on, and serves as an alternative choice to Machoke if you can't get Machamp. Handles end game well, good typing, decent stats, decent movepool.
  • Gligar - Available fairly early on, levels well, however, takes some time before you can evolve him, giving him significant problems mid game. Excellent typing, good movepool.
C
---
  • Bidoof - Available as soon as you have a PokeBall, levels very quickly. Has problems with mid and end game. Acceptable natural move pool, bad stats, acceptable typing.
  • Geodude (trade evolution not available) - Available early on, and quick to level. Acceptable stats, mediocre typing, problems with the end game, acceptable natural movepool.
  • Pachirisu - Available reasonably early, levels quickly. Large problems with almost the entire game, acceptable natural movepool, horrible stats, good typing. Overshadowed by all the other Electric types.
  • Buneary - Available fairly early, levels well. Has a very nice natural movepool, but lacklustre stats. Okay typing for what it does. Starts to feel like a dead weight end-game.
  • Hoot-Hoot - Available fairly early on, levels well. Has problems with mid game onwards. Acceptable natural movepool, bad stats, acceptable typing. Overshadowed by others.
  • Nosepass - Available reasonably early on and very easy to evolve, but let down by bad typing, a real uselessness in the endgame, and a weak movepool. Inferior to both Steelix and Bronzong.
D
---
  • Kricketot - Available as soon as you have a PokeBall, levels very quickly. Has large problems with early game and end game. Bad natural movepool, bad stats, bad typing. Only real good point is availability.
  • Wurmple - Available as soon as you have a PokeBall, levels very quickly. Large problems with early game and end game. Acceptable natural movepool, bad stats, bad typing. Only real good point is availability.
  • Onix (trade evolution not available) - Available early on, levels decently. Bad stats, mediocre typing, bad movepool, problems mid game onwards. Overshadowed by many others.
  • Chingling - Available as soon as you have a PokeBall, levels quickly but will have trouble evolving. Problems with most of the game. Acceptable natural movepool and okay typing, but really bad stats.
Up to Route 209, will continue later.

Shellos for A tier! Sweet typing, availability (though not much use against Gardy), Recover, and a nice movepool, as well as excellent defensive stats. Not much gym utility though, and low speed keeps him from an S...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)