Approved In teambuilder order Pokemons' abilities by most optimal

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
We've all been there: Building a really great team with a strong Pokemon only to go into a match and realize "oops, I brought Cute Charm Clefable instead of Magic Guard". It's not a super common situation, but it's extremely annoying and frustrating when it does happen and it can be fixed.

Instead of ordering abilities based on how they're ordered within the games, I propose a system similar to how we order moves: Divide them into "optimal" and "usually useless" sections with the optimal ones being first up. If a Pokemon has multiple viable abilities (eg Clefable which can use both Magic Guard and Unaware), the one with more usage will be the default ability when you add the Pokemon to your team.

tondas

Life of the party
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ability viability will always be subjective depending on both the format and how the pokemon/set in question functions, so it's really hard to gauge when a certain pokemon would benefit from a generally useful ability more than one that's less practical. probably worth reshuffling completely useless abilities (ex: rapidash formes default to run away) but besides that im not sure how optimal a change like this would be.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
ability viability will always be subjective depending on both the format and how the pokemon/set in question functions, so it's really hard to gauge when a certain pokemon would benefit from a generally useful ability more than one that's less practical. probably worth reshuffling completely useless abilities (ex: rapidash formes default to run away) but besides that im not sure how optimal a change like this would be.
I really don't think this is that much of an issue. With moves there's much much more to go through and certain moves' usefulness is also subjective but we are able to sort them fine. If abilities are somehow too subjective we could just have them ordered by usage with the most used ability for the particular Pokemon being the default.

We've all been there: Building a really great team with a strong Pokemon only to go into a match and realize "oops, I brought Cute Charm Clefable instead of Magic Guard".
I am not sure that I have been there. I guess I am just smarter than the rest. Maybe orderig abilities and moves based on usage would be cool, though a bit useless for me since I make my own choices and do not let other people vote on what I do. For example, I used Knock Off on my Clefable before it was cool back in gen IV. I do not follow trends; I set the trends that everyone else follows.

I am not sure that I have been there. I guess I am just smarter than the rest. Maybe orderig abilities and moves based on usage would be cool, though a bit useless for me since I make my own choices and do not let other people vote on what I do. For example, I used Knock Off on my Clefable before it was cool back in gen IV. I do not follow trends; I set the trends that everyone else follows.
You do realize that you'd still be able to set the ability to whatever you want, right? This isn't about being smart, but rather being mildly forgetful.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realize that you'd still be able to set the ability to whatever you want, right?
This actually supports my claim of this being a bit useless to me. I can change the ability to whatever I want now and I would be able to do so after the change. So as far as that is concerned the change would be useless to me. You phrase your sentence as if it's a retort but in it you draw attention to something which actually supports what I said. I guess that I am so smart that even retorts to whatever claim I make have to support that claim instead.

This isn't about being smart, but rather being mildly forgetful.
I am too smart to be mildly forgetful.

any change implemented like this id suggest an optional sort. perhaps alphabetically, by most usage, and perhaps even by type of ability/item/move (like type immunity abilities together etc)

pre

pkmn.cc
Sigh. Most of the posts in this thread are pretty bad. All abilities in Pokemon Showdown already have a 'rating' field because ability viability is used when generating sets for random battles. Sorting the abilities in the UI based on this rating field is fairly trivial. I'm still of the opinion that sorting Moves/Items/Abilities by the actual usage stats solves this problem and simplifies team building in general, but that's a larger scoped change. Sorting by the existing subjective AbilityData rating should be fairly uncontroversial, with the caveat that the current teambuilder is going away with the (as yet unrealized) Preact rewrite.

Please don't continue to argue in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)