VGC 18 Incineroar

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
tfw NO INTIMIDATE nvm Intimidate's out
QC: Jio / Jhon
GP: P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

* Incineroar boasts the ability to check several Pokemon in the VGC metagame, including Cresselia, Aegislash, and Celesteela.
* It also provides invaluable Fake Out support, allowing it to disrupt opposing teams and support a teammate by immobilizing a foe for one turn.
* Intimidate adds to Incineroar's supportive capabilities, enabling it to lower the Attack stats of both opposing Pokemon. Furthermore, access to Snarl allows it to weaken special attackers as well.
* Despite its ability to check many popular Pokemon and its supportive capabilities, Incineroar is held back by its weakness to Landorus-T, which can easily reduce its damage output with Intimidate and deal significant damage to it with Earthquake.
* In addition, Incineroar's best Fire-type attack dealing recoil damage limits its staying power despite its solid bulk.

[SET]
name: Fake Out Support
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Knock Off / Darkest Lariat
move 4: Low Kick / Snarl / Protect
item: Assault Vest / Incinium Z / Iapapa Berry
ability: Intimidate
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fake Out is one of Incineroar's main selling points, allowing it to immobilize foes for a turn. This has a multitude of applications, including breaking a foe's Focus Sash and enabling an ally to remain safe from a threatening foe for that turn.
* Flare Blitz is Incineroar's go-to Fire-type STAB move, enabling it to deal heavy damage to Pokemon like Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Aegislash.
* In addition to dealing solid Dark-type damage, Knock Off enables Incineroar to remove items, especially items like Berries and Assault Vest, the removal of which makes the defensive Pokemon that carry them less threatening.
* Low Kick lets Incineroar deal damage to Tyranitar and Heatran, which otherwise don't mind facing it.
* Darkest Lariat allows Incineroar to use Malicious Moonsault, which scores OHKOs on Cresselia, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Metagross, among others, depending on their EV spreads.
* Firium Z allows Incineroar to use Inferno Overdrive, which, along with giving it a strong, single-use Fire-type attack that deals no recoil damage, is a non-contact move, allowing it to be used into Aegislash's King's Shield without causing an Attack drop.
* If Incineroar is carrying Incinium Z or Iapapa Berry, Protect may be used in order to allow it to protect itself from a foe while its ally handles said foe.
* Incineroar may also consider using Snarl, which gives it additional utility in weakening special attackers like Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele.
* Taunt can also be a useful move, as it allows Incineroar to prevent Trick Room from being set up.
* Incineroar can also make use of U-turn to deal chip damage and switch out for another teammate. Thanks to Incineroar's low Speed, this helps that teammate switch in unscathed and allows Incineroar to refresh its Fake Out and Intimidate.
* Intimidate has immense utility, lowering the Attack stat of both opposing Pokemon any time Incineroar is sent out.
* An Adamant nature is used in order to improve Incineroar's damage output.
* Assuming Incineroar's held item is Assault Vest, the given EV spread ensures Tapu Koko never 2HKOes it with Thunderbolt.
* If Incineroar carries Incinium Z or Iapapa Berry instead of Assault Vest, the specially defensive benchmark is no longer relevant, so Incineroar should run a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD in those cases.
* Iapapa Berry may be used if Incineroar needs to carry a status move like Protect or Taunt but still wants an improvement in bulk. It also enables Incineroar to recover from Flare Blitz recoil, lessening the drawback from it.
* Given Incineroar's ability to check Pokemon like Celesteela and Aegislash, Pokemon like Mega Gardevoir and Kommo-o value its support.
* Pokemon like Milotic, Cresselia, and Suicune make for good partners for Incineroar, given that they have the ability to answer Landorus-T for it.
* Grass-types like Kartana and Electric-types like Tapu Koko handle Milotic, which boasts the ability to turn Incineroar into a liability thanks to Competitive, as well as other Water-types like Suicune and Tapu Fini that Incineroar can't handle on its own.
* Using one or two of Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Fini is recommended; although Incineroar is not too threatened by Tapu Lele itself, it still appreciates the removal of Psychic Terrain, given that Psychic Terrain prevents it from using Fake Out.
* Pokemon with moves like Tailwind and Trick Room, such as Suicune and Cresselia, appreciate Incineroar's Fake Out support, as Incineroar can immobilize a user of a move like Taunt that would prevent their setup. Incineroar also appreciates both of these forms of speed control, given its lackluster Speed stat.
* If using Incineroar alongside Tailwind, running 76 Speed EVs may be considered so as to allow Incineroar to outspeed Mega Metagross under Tailwind.
* If using Incineroar on a Trick Room team, make sure to use a Brave nature with 0 Speed IVs in order to ensure that Incineroar maximizes its benefit from Trick Room.

Last edited:
Low Kick and Snarl deserve mentions here too. I don't think U-turn should be slashed on simply because it isn't common enough (it has less usage than Cross Chop). I also think a bulky berry set should be mentioned since it's seen a decent amount of success. Maybe split it into an attacking set (FO, Flare Blitz, Lariat/Knock Off, Low Kick/Protect) with the Z move or AV and a defensive/support set (FO, Flare Blitz, Knock Off, Snarl/Taunt/Protect) with a berry or AV.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is ready for QC. I gave the set an EV spread that I felt was more optimal (though if QC thinks I should switch it back to 252/252, I will) and made Assault Vest the first slash given that it's the more common item (granted, popularity and efficacy do not necessarily correlate, but AV is probably more common for a reason)

I also took most of the suggestions from ck49 into account, but decided against listing two sets simply due to the fact that they ended up looking too similar. That said, I'll add a more defensive set if QC thinks I should (also, feeling like Figy Mago Berry may be worthy of a slash rather than just a mere mention on the set that's already here)

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I wonder if it's worth moving the Def EVs to Atk or somewhere else in lieu of Intimidate?
Most likely, given that those EVs were for surviving Kartana's Sacred Sword + Flare Blitz recoil without Intimidate. I'll adjust the EV spread accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
More points:
  • Maybe mention U-turn somewhere as an option for the fourth slot. People have been hyping the combination of Fake Out, Intimidate, and U-turn on Incineroar for over a year. Unsure if this is just set comments worthy or actually worthy for the slot since it literally came out yesterday.
  • Mention what the EV spread does, specifically the 252 HP / 60 SpD. I take it that it's to avoid a certain OHKO / 2HKO. It may also not be relevant and/or should be different if holding Assault Vest. Fairly sure that it's based on RazerVGC's set to avoid the 2HKO from LO Koko TBolt, but only when holding AV. The set, taken from Trainer tower:
Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 116 Atk / 76 Def / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
– Fake Out
– Flare Blitz
– Darkest Lariat
– Snarl
252+ Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 236 HP / 76 Def Incineroar: 164-194 (82 – 97%) — guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 236 HP / 76 Def Incineroar: 78-92 (39 – 46%) — guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 236 HP / 64 SpD Assault Vest Incineroar in Electric Terrain: 83-99 (41.5 – 49.5%) — guaranteed 3HKO
116+ Atk Incineroar Darkest Lariat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 81-96 (52.5 – 62.3%) — guaranteed 2HKO
Attack stat is 11n, so it gains an extra point of Attack.

• Use Iapapa Berry instead of Mago Berry. There isn't a difference between the two except for when you use Brave. Iapapa Berry confuses with a -Def nature, Mago with -Speed. This saves you from having to mention the sentence "In this case, make sure not to use Mago Berry, as it will confuse Incineroar with a Brave nature." i.e. shortening the analysis

Generally very good, so little to comment on
* Darkest Lariat allows Incineroar to use Malicious Moonsault, which allows it to score OHKOs on Cresselia, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Metagross, among others, depending on their respective EV spreads.
I'd like for Firium Z to be mentioned as an option just after this point. It operates similarly to MM, just strong Fire damage instead of Dark. A notable difference is that MM is a contact move, so attacking into an Aegislash's King's Shield will still give you the -2 Attack drop. Inferno Overdrive won't.

* Given Incineroar's ability to check Pokemon like Celesteela and Aegislash, Pokemon like Pheromosa and Alolan Ninetales value its support.
Pheromosa and Ninetales-A aren't super common right now, but luckily there's plethora of pokemon that srtuggle with Celesteela and Aegislash to choose from. I think Mega Gardevoir is a must given recent trends, the second example can happily be one of Kommo-o, Mega Salamence and Kartana.

* Pokemon with moves like Tailwind and Trick Room, such as Suicune and Cresselia, appreciate Incineroar's Fake Out support, as Incineroar can immobilize a user of a move like Taunt which would prevent their setup. Incineroar also appreciates both of these forms of speed control, given its lackluster Speed stat.

* If using Incineroar on a Trick Room team, make sure to use a Brave Nature with 0 Speed IVs in order to ensure that Incineroar maximizes its benefit from Trick Room.
Add a point about Incineroar being able to use 76 Speed EVs (for a speed stat of 90), which when combined with Tailwind support allows it to outspeed M-Metagross.
More specifically we can offer 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe as a spread, and mention that it trades bulk for a little speed while maintaining high offensive investment.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Generally very good, so little to comment on

I'd like for Firium Z to be mentioned as an option just after this point. It operates similarly to MM, just strong Fire damage instead of Dark. A notable difference is that MM is a contact move, so attacking into an Aegislash's King's Shield will still give you the -2 Attack drop. Inferno Overdrive won't.

Pheromosa and Ninetales-A aren't super common right now, but luckily there's plethora of pokemon that srtuggle with Celesteela and Aegislash to choose from. I think Mega Gardevoir is a must given recent trends, the second example can happily be one of Kommo-o, Mega Salamence and Kartana.

Add a point about Incineroar being able to use 76 Speed EVs (for a speed stat of 90), which when combined with Tailwind support allows it to outspeed M-Metagross.
More specifically we can offer 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe as a spread, and mention that it trades bulk for a little speed while maintaining high offensive investment.
Implemented!

I think that AV, Berry and Z should be separated since they work different. Maybe AV and Berry for a set and Z or offensive sets in another one.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think that AV, Berry and Z should be separated since they work different. Maybe AV and Berry for a set and Z or offensive sets in another one.
I already tried listing the sets separately while this analysis was in WIP stage. I decided against it because the sets ended up looking way too similar for me to see a reason to split them. The one benefit I could see to splitting the sets would be having move 4 slashes of LK/Snarl/Taunt for AV or Berry, and LK/Protect for Z-Move. That said, this analysis is already past the QC stage and the QC team would probably have already told me to split the sets if they wanted them separate (though I'll split them if they want me to)

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
good job

GP 1/1
add
remove comment

[OVERVIEW]

* Incineroar boasts the ability to check several Pokemon in the VGC metagame, including Cresselia, Aegislash, and Celesteela.
* It also provides invaluable Fake Out support, allowing it to disrupt opposing teams and support a teammate by immobilizing a foe for one turn.
* Intimidate adds to Incineroar's supportive capabilities, enabling it to lower the Attack stats of both opposing Pokemon. Furthermore, access to Snarl allows it to weaken special attackers as well.
* Despite its ability to check many popular Pokemon, and despite and its supportive capabilities, Incineroar is held back by its weakness to Landorus-T, which can easily reduce its damage output with Intimidate and deal significant damage to it with Earthquake.
* In addition, Incineroar's best Fire-type attack dealing recoil damage limits its staying power despite its solid bulk.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fake Out is one of Incineroar's main selling points, allowing it to immobilize foes for a turn. This has a multitude of applications, including breaking a foe's Focus Sash and enabling an ally to remain safe from a threatening foe for that turn.
* Flare Blitz is Incineroar's go-to Fire-type STAB move, enabling it to deal heavy damage to Pokemon like Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Aegislash.
* In addition to dealing solid Dark-type damage, Knock Off enables Incineroar to remove items, especially items like Berries and Assault Vest, the removal of which makes the defensive Pokemon that carry them less threatening.
* Low Kick lets Incineroar deal damage to Tyranitar and Heatran, which otherwise don't mind facing it.
* Darkest Lariat allows Incineroar to use Malicious Moonsault, which allows it to scores OHKOs on Cresselia, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Metagross, among others, depending on their respective EV spreads.
* Firium Z allows Incineroar to use Inferno Overdrive, which, along with giving it a strong, single-use Fire-type attack that deals no recoil damage, is a non-contact move, allowing it to be used into Aegislash's King's Shield without causing an Attack drop.
* If Incineroar is carrying Incinium Z or Iapapa Berry, Protect may be used in order to allow it Incineroar to protect itself from a foe while its ally handles said foe.
* Incineroar may also consider using Snarl, which gives it additional utility in allowing it to weakening special attackers like Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele.
* Taunt can also be a useful move, as it allows Incineroar to prevent Trick Room from being set up.
* Incineroar can also make use of U-turn to deal chip damage and switch out for another teammate. Thanks to Incineroar's low Speed, this helps that teammate switch in unscathed and allows Incineroar to refresh its Fake Out and Intimidate.
* Intimidate is used as Incineroar's ability due to its has immense utility, lowering the Attack stat of both opposing Pokemon at any time Incineroar is sent out.
* Assuming Incineroar's held item is Assault Vest, the given EV spread ensures Tapu Koko never 2HKOes it with Thunderbolt.
* If Incineroar carries Incinium Z or Iapapa Berry instead of Assault Vest, the specially defensive benchmark is no longer relevant, so Incineroar should run a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD in those cases.
* Iapapa Berry may be used if Incineroar needs to carry a status move like Protect or Taunt but still wants an improvement in bulk. It also enables Incineroar to recover from Flare Blitz recoil, lessening the drawback from it.
* Given Incineroar's ability to check Pokemon like Celesteela and Aegislash, Pokemon like Mega Gardevoir and Kommo-o value its support.
* Pokemon like Milotic, Cresselia, and Suicune make for good partners for Incineroar, given that they have the ability to answer Landorus-T for it.
* Grass-types like Kartana and Electric-types like Tapu Koko handle Milotic, which boasts the ability to turn Incineroar into a liability thanks to Competitive, as well as other Water-types like Suicune and Tapu Fini that Incineroar can't handle on its own.
* Using one or two of Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, or and Tapu Fini is recommended; although Incineroar is not too threatened by Tapu Lele itself, it still appreciates the removal of Psychic Terrain, given that Psychic Terrain prevents it from using Fake Out.
* Pokemon with moves like Tailwind and Trick Room, such as Suicune and Cresselia, appreciate Incineroar's Fake Out support, as Incineroar can immobilize a user of a move like Taunt that which would prevent their setup. Incineroar also appreciates both of these forms of speed control, given its lackluster Speed stat.
* If using Incineroar alongside Tailwind, running 76 Speed EVs may be considered so as to allow Incineroar to outspeed Mega Metagross under Tailwind.
* If using Incineroar on a Trick Room team, make sure to use a Brave nature with 0 Speed IVs in order to ensure that Incineroar maximizes its benefit from Trick Room.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
good job

GP 1/1
add
remove comment

[OVERVIEW]

* Despite its ability to check many popular Pokemon, and despite and its supportive capabilities, Incineroar is held back by its weakness to Landorus-T, which can easily reduce its damage output with Intimidate and deal significant damage to it with Earthquake.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Darkest Lariat allows Incineroar to use Malicious Moonsault, which allows it to scores OHKOs on Cresselia, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Metagross, among others, depending on their respective EV spreads.
* If Incineroar is carrying Incinium Z or Iapapa Berry, Protect may be used in order to allow it Incineroar to protect itself from a foe while its ally handles said foe.
* Incineroar may also consider using Snarl, which gives it additional utility in allowing it to weakening special attackers like Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele.
* Intimidate is used as Incineroar's ability due to its has immense utility, lowering the Attack stat of both opposing Pokemon at any time Incineroar is sent out.
* Using one or two of Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, or and Tapu Fini is recommended; although Incineroar is not too threatened by Tapu Lele itself, it still appreciates the removal of Psychic Terrain, given that Psychic Terrain prevents it from using Fake Out.
* Pokemon with moves like Tailwind and Trick Room, such as Suicune and Cresselia, appreciate Incineroar's Fake Out support, as Incineroar can immobilize a user of a move like Taunt that which would prevent their setup. Incineroar also appreciates both of these forms of speed control, given its lackluster Speed stat.
Implemented, this is done!

Carbonific

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)