Team Options
========

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Stone Edge / Thunder Punch (debate)
ability: Blaze / Iron Fist
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
talked to dragonuser and there should be three sets:

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 4: Thunder Punch / Mach Punch
item: Choice Band
nature: Jolly

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Mach Punch
item: Life Orb

Choice Scarf
########
move 4: Stone Edge / Thunder Punch (this slot is debatable)

talked to dragonuser and there should be three sets:

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 4: Thunder Punch / Mach Punch
item: Choice Band

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 4: Mach Punch

Choice Scarf
########
move 4: Stone Edge / Thunder Punch (this slot is debatable)
No Overheat slash with Fire Blast?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No Overheat slash with Fire Blast?
I think it's mostly because locking yourself into a move like Overheat sucks due to the -2 SpA drop, which leaves Nape wide open for something to come in and set up all over it. Unless there's a specific OHKO that Overheat achieves, Fire Blast is definitely the better option so Infernape doesn't allow a bunch of things to take advantage of its huge SpA drop and set up in its face.

I think it's mostly because locking yourself into a move like Overheat sucks due to the -2 SpA drop, which leaves Nape wide open for something to come in and set up all over it. Unless there's a specific OHKO that Overheat achieves, Fire Blast is definitely the better option so Infernape doesn't allow a bunch of things to take advantage of its huge SpA drop and set up in its face.
Right. I totally missed that Fire Blast was only listed in the scarf set.

Leads me to be curious about the lack of MixApe. Is it just not that good any more?

Why is Swords Dance viable, exactly? It wasn't very good last generation, and I figured it would only be worse with stuff like Talonflame around now.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jukain, are the EVs for the mixed set correct (no SpA investment)? Also the above about the SD set.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I am definitely in full support of a classic Mixape set. It's not as useful as it was before, but whenever I play stall and I see Mixape on the opponent's team, I get scared. It's still a great stallbreaker, IMO.

The only real issue with MixApe vs. Stall is that Mega Venusaur can take anything it has, and that's pretty much a staple on stall. Still, I think it's a pretty good set. Also, something I've found interesting on it is Work Up in the last slot. Fire Blast and Close Combat are necessary, and Thunderpunch offers the best coverage, but with the hidden power nerf there's nothing that it really needs to run in the last spot for coverage, and Work Up is nice since it can force switches when doing that. And Talonflame can be caught on the switch-in with Thunder Punch. So yeah, I also support a MixApe set.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
life orb flare blitz 2hkos max hp mega vene's after rocks actually. It still hits tran, skarm, chansey, and a bunch of stall staples really cleanly, 0 spa grass knot kills quagsire, it can handle aegislash, it has fucking gunk shot for clefable/sylveon. Damn shame the flying gem doesnt exist anymore, that acrobatics would put the squeeze on mega venusaur thats for sure if you really wanted it to die.

I actually think it has merit. It takes a lot of recoil, but healing wish is absolutely clutch against stall, which is hard to break, and with it Infernape can knock down teams.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
LO Inferanpe is the only Nape that i would actually use and it definitely deserves a set. CB relies heavily on prediction and it's not even that hard to wall with physical walls / pivots (Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Azumarill), while Scarf and SD are completely unremarkable and barely main-set worthy sets. With LO you get to take advantage of Nape's mixed attacking sets and great super effective coverage, while also being able to use Mach Punch against faster foes to finish them off. This is the best mixed set that Infernape can use atm:

Mixed Attacker
########
name: Mixed Attacker
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Thunder Punch / U-turn
ability: Iron Fist / Blaze

Flare Blitz has a ~96% chance to 2HKO standard defensive Mega Venusaur after SR, so you don't have any problems against it. HP Ice is a must for Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp, doing a min of 73.5% damage to max HP Landorus-T, and ThunderPunch is the main option on the last slot to 2HKO Azumarill and Tentacruel, and OHKO Talonflame, Gyarados, Starmie, and deal 90% minimum to Mega Charizard Y. U-turn deals with Lati@s and Starmie, while being a great move on a fast offensive Pokemon in general.

Mach Punch and Grass Knot are all viable moves put you can hardly fit them on the set, as pretty much all moves are essential, but they can be mentioned in ''Moves''.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SD Infernape is really cool man, it's powerful with the SD boost. Talk to DU on IRC on something if you need more info, but yeah.

After fighting some, I'm beginning to reconsider the anti-lead set. It's a nice SR lead, tbh. Thoughts?

I think set order should be Band > Mixed > SD > Anti-Lead (if we add it) > Scarf

Is the Anti-Lead Infernape still usable in this Gen? I still find it quite strong

EDIT: completely didn't read the above post, but I'll just mention Anti-Lead Infernape here

Anti-Lead Infernape
-------------------
1. Stealth Rocks
2. Fake Out
3. Close Combat
4. Overheat
-------------------
Ability: Blaze
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Naive
EV Spread: 252 Att/ 4 Sp A/ 252 Spe
-------------------

(My explanation will not have much maths or specific Pokemon examples, so bare with me)

Anti-Lead Infernape screws up many Sturdy/Focus Sash Leads that just want to set up their hazards, an example for this is Skarmory. The use of Fake Out can be used to break their Sturdy or Sash and also stop them from using their move, and because of it's priority, Infernape will always render their first turn useless with Fake Out. Infernape can then either defeat them with his STAB Close Combat/Overheat or set up his own Stealth Rocks. Focus Sash is used specifically for the use of Blaze, when he lives 1 HP, his Blaze will be at full use, and Overheat will do STAB + Blaze damage, making Overheat a very powerful move.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
My only qualm with Anti-lead is that it's somewhat outclassed by Deoxys-S/D now. While Infernape DOES have more of an offensive presence, it's not really a great offensive presence—poor coverage and mediocre bulk combined with access to only one kind of entry hazard make this set a little unappealing to me this generation. As far as entry hazard leads go, I seem to consistently find that Infernape finds itself in the middle ground between great dedicated hazard leads like Deoxys-S and great offensive SR leads like Garchomp.

That's just my thoughts though. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to including an Anti-lead set, but I would remove Fake Out. These days, the only common leads that run Focus Sash/Sturdy are Smeargle, the Deoxys formes, Galvantula (why people are so obsessed with sticky web is beyond me), and Skarmory/Forretress. At any rate, Smeargle, Galvantula, Skarm, and Forry shouldn't even be staying in on Infernape, and Infernape can't OHKO Deo-S with just Fake Out + Overheat. So I really see no reason to run it.

I would actually opt for Stone Edge or Rock Slide in place of Fake Out. If the opponent predicts that Infernape is going to be the lead, which is highly likely, they'll probably send out either Charizard or Talonflame, as lead Infernape is basically easy fodder for both of them.

I understand your thoughts on this, and I can understand the reason to opt for Stone Edge/Rock Slide > Fake Out. However, most Talonflames will carry the Gale Wings ability, and will always have priority against our monkey friend if Talonflame uses Brave Bird (from what I see from the latest Talonflame sets, that's pretty much their main offensive move), so regardless if Infernape has Stone Edge/Rock Slide, it wouldn't be able to land it first due to Gale Wings. Charizard is understandable though.

Being new to the competitive scene, my perspective of this set might be different to yours, but I'll adapt to any changes that would either help or benefit our monkey friend :)

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
I understand your thoughts on this, and I can understand the reason to opt for Stone Edge/Rock Slide > Fake Out. However, most Talonflames will carry the Gale Wings ability, and will always have priority against our monkey friend if Talonflame uses Brave Bird (from what I see from the latest Talonflame sets, that's pretty much their main offensive move), so regardless if Infernape has Stone Edge/Rock Slide, it wouldn't be able to land it first due to Gale Wings. Charizard is understandable though.

Being new to the competitive scene, my perspective of this set might be different to yours, but I'll adapt to any changes that would either help or benefit our monkey friend :)
Read this, it's straight from the usage stats. Scroll down to line 2,770 and find the "checks and counters" section located below it.

Talonflame's an extremely common and relevant counter to Infernape. NOT ONLY does Infernape carry Focus Sash to survive at least one Brave Bird, but you can see Talonflame would be a very common switch-in. I think it's definitely well worth it.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
Anti-Lead
########
name: Anti-Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Overheat
move 4: Fake Out / Stone Edge
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

I am satisfied with this set, please add it.

Last edited:

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Anti-Lead
########
name: Anti-Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 4: Fake Out / Stone Edge
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

I am satisfied with this set, please add it.
I will, but why will Nape need to run Naive?

Read this, it's straight from the usage stats. Scroll down to line 2,770 and find the "checks and counters" section located below it.

Talonflame's an extremely common and relevant counter to Infernape. NOT ONLY does Infernape carry Focus Sash to survive at least one Brave Bird, but you can see Talonflame would be a very common switch-in. I think it's definitely well worth it.
Oh wow I didn't think of that, thank you for showing me something new to the table Cyclic :) I have a lot more to learn about the competitive side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)