Metagame Inheritance

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
fun fact: if you really dislike stall, just use chandelure. which is literally just a slow blac. its speed tier is trash, but considering just how many mons just collapse to it if given a switchin (even chansey is still 2hkoed) its still not something you should dismiss. its no blac, but that works in chandy's favor since no stall/balance will be preparing for it any time soon.

and scarf chandy is just as good of a rkiller as blac....just again, slow enough that its not a real issue.

i mostly use stall teams so idk why im telling you guys which mons completely shit on stall, but i digress.

In Conclusion:
Stall is a very neat playstyle in Inheritance, and despite people on ladder who ridicule stall players for unoriginality there's a lot of room to be creative with the last 3 teamslots to check the various things able to break that 3-Pokemon core. Partners and threats to this core are far from limited to the ones I listed here, those are just ones I've noted from my own experience building and on ladder. While stall is a frustrating playstyle at times, it can also be a major source of innovation and creativity, both from people trying to build stall teams and account for the major metagame threats and from people who find creative ways of getting around stall teams. Hopefully this generates some interesting discussion on stall's place in the metagame or on potential suspects, as I think in some ways stall can be overly restrictive, both in the teambuilding and playing phases, but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this since I'm only speaking from the perspective of a stall user. Also, sorry for using stall on ladder. Anyways, peace.
As an Offense/Balance player, I think Stall is rather overpowered right now, but I think the only problem isn't the 3-core mons, but only Cresselia. That mon alone checks SO many of the offensive mon, to the point it puts a HUGE restriction on teambuilding.

If anything, imo, the next suspect should be Magnet Pull + Cresselia. I don't think I can say it's isn't a problem when a max Attack + LO Protean Azelf isn't a guaranteed 2HKO with Knock Off, much less Koko and others. This means that it can EVEN CHECK DARK TYPES. You know there is an Ubers criteria of Defensive mon:

"A pokemon is Ubers if, in common conditions, able to wall and stall out significant portion of metagame"

By this criteria, I think Cresselia fits this category and SHOULD be the next suspect alongside magnet pull (if there will be next suspect).

Magearna: Top donor becomes Bellossom, moved up to A
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7inheritance-688852644
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7inheritance-688848656
I know these are low ladder replays, but still, this is just freaking horseshit. So what if your only STAB is Moonblast? You get so many opportunities to set up anyway, and Strength Sap is a busted move. If Magearna gets +1 on a switch-in from a Magnet Puller not named Heatran, they lose. No Pokemon that can do THIS deserves to be placed in the low A ranks.
Seconding this; hell, in my experience, A might even be underselling this a little. It sweeps in like 75% of the games I use it in, and can generally set up on like 3-4 members of the opposing team with its great defensive typing and natural bulk. There are ways around it (Taunt, phazing, Heatran, and sleep come to mind) but offense and balance teams can really struggle to put out the firepower necessary to stop this thing once it gets going. It requires relatively little in the way of support -- just some chip on opposing mons so it can power through at +1 or +2 as necessary, and it can make up for a lot of that with Twinkle Tackle. It also has a useful tool in Worry Seed to let it threaten Unaware users, so teams that rely on one to blanket check opposing sweepers are in for a really nasty surprise.

Seriously, try this set out, tell me I'm wrong. It's really easy to use. Quiver Dance is such a disgusting move, I love it.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Strength Sap
- Worry Seed

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
First off, unrank blacephalon, it's banned now, and keeping it on the vr is confusing and misleading for newcomers

raise chandy, maybe to like C or C+, and add Torkoal to its list of donors, it definitely has a spot to shine now that Blace is gone, it's not as good obviously, but it still can do work

raise cress to a+, it walls everything

raise magearna to a+, bellossom qd is honestly an amazing wincon that can fuck up balance and can circumvent the ever present unaware with worry seed

drop or unrank guzzlord, its main reason for being used, which was being one of the few things that could sort of wall blacephalon, is now no longer needed as that mon is dead

raise mega beedrill to c+ or b-, it's a lot better than people give it credit for, it's fairly fast and strong, farfetch'd donor is seriously unexplored, as it grant you a lot of the bonuses golisopod grants you as well as the awesome u-turn and a cool pre-mega ability in defiant

as for donors

list toucannon as a donor for archeops, it's like cincinno but better

drop rampardos as a donor for gengar and possibly add clefable, i've said this two times in the past already, rampardos is just outclassed as a gengar donor by nidoking, it doesn't even get a stab ffs, why is this listed, also sash counter gengar is heat

edit: once again going back to the blacephalon ban, perhaps a gengar rise is in order since there's now no competition for a fast special attacking ghost

edit 2: if you ain't gonna raise it, at least list fetch'd as a viable donor for mega bee, sure it loses out on leech life, but that isn't a huge deal for a glass cannon like mega bee, plus again u-turn and defiant is neat

Last edited:

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
I dont really think cress is a problem, however magnet pull is pretty stupid in this metagame. When there is a magnetpull user with fireblast/focusblast/earthpower it can effectively trap and kill every steel and pave the way for a pokemon like mega pinsir to sweep. This basically forces you to run shed shell on every defensive steel not name doublade which is pretty dumb. Think of dugtrio in ou which forced toxapex and heatran to run shedshell so they don't get trapped. This is uncompetitive and even though it only traps one type its still problematic and stupid.

Echoing a lot of what Yung Dramps has said, but sticking to Blace ban.

Chandelure was only ever D because it was completely outclassed by Blacephalon. I'd move it all the way up to B- with the sets (Torkoal, Nidoking, Nowctowl, Clefable, Gourgeist), for it's ability to put extreme pressure on stall and balance builds, while also having nice scarfed sets to beat down offence.

Gengar can definitely go to A+ I believe, I'd say it's the premier Ghost type of the tier which are always hard to switch into, and is generally able to do some work in any match up. I can't remember why Rampardos Gengar was ranked last gen and couldn't find anything on it, but I'd replace it with the Mawile set. Probably less effective this gen with donor reveal but still solid enough to warrant a rank. The basic gist is that Mawile allows standard SF Gengar to run Shadow Ball alongside Knock Off and Focus Blast, with whatever filler you want to get past common answers to Gengar on Stall and Balance, such as AV Muk and Eviolite Chansey.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 131-155 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 120 SpD Muk-Alola: 196-231 (47.4 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 226-268 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey: 338-400 (52.6 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lastly I firmly believe that Hoopa-C is capable of rising to B, or even B+ sounds more fitting tbh, as it is honestly so strong against more defensive builds. With Blacephalon gone, it is definitely the most powerful Protean user, not the fastest, but the most powerful for dumpstering stall.
Here is "the set," but there is a fair bit of flexibility.

Hoopa-C @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 SpA OR 176 Atk / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Quiet Nature OR Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
- Trick Room / Nasty Plot

Fire Blast kills almost anything neutral while Drain Punch is there to remove Chansey among other things and provide some nice recovery. The coverage slot is up to you and there are more options than this but I find these the best for either perfect neutral coverage or being stronger against bulky waters. Trick Room allows Hoopa to actually be a large threat to offensive teams, where as Nasty Plot can be used to rip Stall apart.

252+ SpA Life Orb Protean Hoopa Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cresselia: 226-266 (51 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
176 Atk Life Orb Protean Hoopa Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 354-421 (50.3 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also Double Dance + Dual STAB Porygon-Z Hoopa is super underrated and can rip through a lot of balance once Alolan-Muk is dealt with.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
First off, unrank blacephalon, it's banned now, and keeping it on the vr is confusing and misleading for newcomers

raise chandy, maybe to like C or C+, and add Torkoal to its list of donors, it definitely has a spot to shine now that Blace is gone, it's not as good obviously, but it still can do work

raise cress to a+, it walls everything

raise magearna to a+, bellossom qd is honestly an amazing wincon that can fuck up balance and can circumvent the ever present unaware with worry seed

drop or unrank guzzlord, its main reason for being used, which was being one of the few things that could sort of wall blacephalon, is now no longer needed as that mon is dead

raise mega beedrill to c+ or b-, it's a lot better than people give it credit for, it's fairly fast and strong, farfetch'd donor is seriously unexplored, as it grant you a lot of the bonuses golisopod grants you as well as the awesome u-turn and a cool pre-mega ability in defiant

as for donors

list toucannon as a donor for archeops, it's like cincinno but better

drop rampardos as a donor for gengar and possibly add clefable, i've said this two times in the past already, rampardos is just outclassed as a gengar donor by nidoking, it doesn't even get a stab ffs, why is this listed, also sash counter gengar is heat

edit: once again going back to the blacephalon ban, perhaps a gengar rise is in order since there's now no competition for a fast special attacking ghost
There's a new version of the viability ranking in the works courtesy of Funbot. I assure you Blacephalon isn't on it. The rest of those I don't really recall and I don't have it on me. :p

I dont really think cress is a problem, however magnet pull is pretty stupid in this metagame. When there is a magnetpull user with fireblast/focusblast/earthpower it can effectively trap and kill every steel and pave the way for a pokemon like mega pinsir to sweep. This basically forces you to run shed shell on every defensive steel not name doublade which is pretty dumb. Think of dugtrio in ou which forced toxapex and heatran to run shedshell so they don't get trapped. This is uncompetitive and even though it only traps one type its still problematic and stupid.
Imo any good argument for banning Magnet Pull has to include Knock Off. Shed Shell is really easy to slap on basically every viable Steel type besides Mega Scizor, and the best steel type, Celesteela, should always hold a Shed Shell imo. Hence why Knock Off has the potential to break Magnet Pull.

I'm planning to put together some replays of something luring steels and knocking off their shed shells to allow a mag puller to trap to allow something else to sweep.

Also people please stop using uturn as a reason for mag pull not being broken, if you have to tank a hit from the mag puller that mon is likely out of the game anyway.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Gengar can definitely go to A+ I believe, I'd say it's the premier Ghost type of the tier which are always hard to switch into, and is generally able to do some work in any match up. I can't remember why Rampardos Gengar was ranked last gen and couldn't find anything on it, but I'd replace it with the Mawile set. Probably less effective this gen with donor reveal but still solid enough to warrant a rank. The basic gist is that Mawile allows standard SF Gengar to run Shadow Ball alongside Knock Off and Focus Blast, with whatever filler you want to get past common answers to Gengar on Stall and Balance, such as AV Muk and Eviolite Chansey.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 120 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 131-155 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 120 SpD Muk-Alola: 196-231 (47.4 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 226-268 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey: 338-400 (52.6 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
my main question: does the meta even really need a fast frail ghost type? i mean, even with those calcs, muk still beats gengar 1v1 and easily recovers off enough hp to keep itself healthy enough to KO gengar, while both require a shaky miss from focus blast (you can EP muk obvs). i dont see why people wouldn't run max/max on a AV mon, since their main purpose is to tank hits, and the more HP they have from tanking, the better as they mostly just pivot away, knock off items, or deal a tiny bit of damage.

on top of this, mons like snorlax still check gengar, forcing gengar to use focus blast and risk a miss, and it needs two hits to KO it, so its a shaky win at best.

but then theres offense...which has at the top of my head: protean, 4 kinds of priority, unburden, swift swim, surge surfer, tapu koko, megazam, regular zam, scarf xurk, and the list goes on of common mons who completely curb stomp gengar.

Stall is too much.
while Unaware bulky mons is annoying, once you get the answer, they still have Prankster Haze. so no, your booster stallbreaker is just reset to 0, any kind of passive damage get bounced back by magic bounce, or they PP stall you in regenerator. it just almost impossible to break stall right now. and when mag puller gone, we will just see more steel unaware / prankster haze steel spam on the ladder (not that i defend mag pul, but stall is ridiculous rn).
I agree with Chopin, Cress needs to be suspected, the restriction to team building just to defeat it is huge. 120/120/130 mons is too fat when you can slap that mon with regenerator / unaware / magic bounce.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The Core

Right off the bat, it's apparent that this core focuses less on typing synergy and more on sheer bulk, and in that sense it definitely succeeds. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say this core checks at least 80% of the metagame through sheer bulk alone (aided by the abilities for each Pokemon). The roles for each individual Pokemon are quite clear and similar to what they would be in standard play (albeit amplified due to their inherited sets). With stellar bulk on both sides of the spectrum, Cresselia can check an extremely large portion of the metagame and is extremely difficult to break past without powerful supereffective moves. Chansey and Buzzwole focus on checking attackers specific to one end of the attacking spectrum, with Chansey handling virtually every special attacker and Buzzwole being able to take just about anything on the physical end. Even though they don't have much synergy in terms of typing, the core still works extremely well defensively due to the ridiculous bulk of the Pokemon used. That's not to say there isn't any synergy, Buzzwole acts as a great absorber to Bug and Dark-type moves that threaten Cresselia and Fighting-type moves that threaten Chansey, Chansey can take on any special-based Fire-types for Buzzwole or threatening Ghost-types for Cresselia. These 3 work so well together that through all the variants of my stall team, they've always remained at the center of them (albeit with differing sets). To show how a team around this core can operate, here are the sets I commonly run on each member to achieve its particular goal.

The Sets

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 232 HP / 156 Def / 120 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psychic / U-turn / Super Fang
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

This Cresselia inherits Unaware from Swoobat, but other Unaware donors can work as well. Unaware Cresselia is pretty ridiculous in terms of the sheer number of things it checks because it requires an astonishing amount of raw power to break past unboosted, and thanks to Unaware that's effectively the only option teams will have. The set is nothing too specific, most people know what Unaware Cresselia does but it does it extremely well, that being blanket checking a large portion of the metagame. The fact that such a potent blanket check also acts as a Defogger is very much worth noting, that's one of many factors that gives stall teams built around this core immense freedom with their last 3 teamslots. I personally run a mixed defensive spread as seen here to broaden the range of things Cresselia is able to check (I forget the exact details of the spread though), but teams struggling with threats like Necrozma ! Mega Medicham can opt for max defense as well.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Heal Bell / Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect

Chansey is already infamous on stall across metagames, and Inheritance gives it the necessary tools to excel even further as a wall. This set inherits from Clefable, and again other Unaware donors could work just as well here. Chansey requires even less explanation than the above since it's fulfilling pretty much the same niche it does in OU: walling almost every special attacker in the metagame. While in some metagames Chansey's massive special bulk can be overwhelmed by boosting sweepers, Unaware again makes that a non-issue. Like Cresselia, Chansey performs an otherwise essential team function in addition to its defensive utility by acting either as a Heal Bell user or Stealth Rock setter, again according to the needs of the team. Again, you'll notice a common theme with Cresselia here: blanket check as much of the meta as possible while providing additional team support as needed, resulting in increased team flexibility. I've seen a lot of people in the other metas room advocate 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Chansey in the other metas room, but that set is pretty suboptimal when Chansey's main goal is to check special attacking threats, the decreased special bulk is especially notable against Torkoal inheritors with Specs and Eruption.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Toxic

The last Pokemon of the core aims to check physical attackers that rely on sheer power to deal damage, think of things like Basculin ! Terrakion with Choice Band that would otherwise have the raw strength to get past Cresselia. Fur Coat Buzzwole (inheriting from Alolan Persian in case it wasn't clear) is so physically bulky it's ridiculous, it pretty much doesn't take significant damage from physical attackers at all save for things like Victini ! Alolan Marowak's V-create (which only deals 75% maximum). Reliable recovery and a lack of team utility are both unfortunate, but in my opinion that hardly matters when you're pretty much walling the entire unboosted physical metagame. While it has no dedicated team support roles due to Alolan Persian's limited movepoll, Knock Off is helpful against opposing bulky teams and U-turn prevents offensive teams from gaining momentum with double switches, so not all is lost.
Oh, wow, what a nice core you got there. It would be ding dang darn shame if there was a Pokemon that could basically 1v1 it...

Haxorus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Cresselia: 338-400 (76.1 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Cresselia: 229-273 (51.5 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Life Orb Protean Haxorus Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 338-400 (80.8 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 507-601 (72.1 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for the partners, none of them like Knock Off at all, nor having their item disposed of
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 138-164 (45.3 - 53.9%) -- 39.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 109-130 (31 - 37%) -- 79.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Drain Punch vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 172-203 (49 - 57.8%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

even mega sableye doesn't sponge it up super amazingly well
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 103-122 (33.9 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

#haxorusforc-

With motherf*cking Blacephalon finally banned, i guess is time to see what mons can fullfill its role decently:

Victini (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid / Naive Nature
- V-Create
- Blue Flare
- Focus Blast / Solar Beam
- U-Turn / Thunderbolt
This mon was already a really decent sun wallbreaker, but with Blacephalon gone, now it's probably going to see much more usage. The set is already known, with access to strong Fire STABs on V-Create and Blue Flare. Clefable is an option too, here's the set:

Clefable (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam / Focus Blast
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind / Moonlight / Soft Boiled / Stealth Rock
With access to Magic Guard as a pre-mega ability, a really wide offensive movepool and access to a huge self supportive movepool on the likes of Calm Mind or Moonlight, Clefable sets can be really good in case you want your Zard Y to have more durability and variety. The only problem that this set presents, is its inability to break past fat special walls with ease like Victiny sets, but this flaw can be patched easily having strong physical wallbreakers like Terrakion as teammates.

Torkoal (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam / Rapid Spin
We all know the history of this ex-unmon, it was completely outclassed by Blacephalon. Now it can be the stupidly strong Fire mon it should be with Torkoal as a donor, giving it Eruption and Drought. Of course, it's slow, but Scarf exists as shown at the set above =^]

Ninetales (Houndoom) @ Houndoomite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse / Focus Blast
- Solar Beam / Focus Blast
OOOHHH boi, papa Houndoom-Mega can make again what it does the best: spamming Solar Power bosted Fire Blasts under sun. Yeah, it will die like in 3 turns, but guess what is going to be able to tank any of those after a Nasty Plot ;^]
Of course all of these sets existed already, but i maybe post something new soon (MAYBE)
EDIT: Added Clefable Charizard Y set and Ninetales Houndoom one.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Don't get me wrong, the 3-Pokemon core I'm going to detail isn't unbeatable: there are consistent and viable ways of breaking it present in the metagame. The issue it presents is that because the core is able to check such a wide variety of Pokemon, stall teams have enough flexibility in the last 3 slots that they can easily tailor a team to beat these specific threats.
Threats to the Core

As I said previously, this core is far from unbreakable. There are some very prominent threats to this core, and I'll try and outline some of the most common or most effective ones below.
Powerful Mixed Sweepers:
Powerful mixed sweepers (particularly those with Protean) that have enough raw power to get past Cresselia (or simply the appropriate coverage) are very dangerous as well, as these are often unpredictable (even with donor reveal) and hiding coverage moves until later in a match can easily give the player of one of these Pokemon a massive advantage.
Oh, wow, what a nice core you got there. It would be ding dang darn shame if there was a Pokemon that could basically 1v1 it...

Haxorus (M) @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Cresselia: 338-400 (76.1 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Cresselia: 229-273 (51.5 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Life Orb Protean Haxorus Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 338-400 (80.8 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 507-601 (72.1 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for the partners, none of them like Knock Off at all, nor having their item disposed of
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 138-164 (45.3 - 53.9%) -- 39.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 109-130 (31 - 37%) -- 79.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Drain Punch vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 172-203 (49 - 57.8%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Haxorus Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 103-122 (33.9 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

#haxorusforc-
Wow it's almost like he admitted his core could be broken and that wasn't the point? And its not like you show 2 Pokemon that can switch in and sponge attacks in your own post.

But seriously, every team is breakable, and wallable, that isn't even a question. This shouldn't be a debate about counter-teaming specific stall builds because that's just dumb. This should be about how stall is just incredibly difficult to take down at the moment, how adaptable to the various metagame threats that arise to deal with it it is, and what the broken aspect of stall is (if any) / is Cresselia the broken aspect.

Torkoal (Houndoom) @ Houndoomite
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam / Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock
OOOHHH boi, papa Houndoom-Mega can make again what it does the best: spamming Solar Power bosted Eruptions under sun. Yeah, it will die like in 3 turns, but guess what is going to be able to tank any of those ;^]
Of course all of these sets existed already, but i maybe post something new soon (MAYBE)
Eruption+Solar power is a pretty dubious combination, after SR damage and one round of Solar Power it will already have less power than Fire Blast. I would rather run Ninetales as a donor as it can provide STAB Dark Pulse and Nasty Plot.

Haxorus (M) @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

#haxorusforc-
Why use this over Archeops and Landorus-T, mons with similar Attack stats, but significantly higher Special Attack and Speed in the case of Archeops?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Eruption+Solar power is a pretty dubious combination, after SR damage and one round of Solar Power it will already have less power than Fire Blast. I would rather run Ninetales as a donor as it can provide STAB Dark Pulse and Nasty Plot.

Why use this over Archeops and Landorus-T, mons with similar Attack stats, but significantly higher Special Attack and Speed in the case of Archeops?
holy shit lol, am i stupid?

well, i mean, haxorus does have higher attack and higher speed than lando, so maybe there's a more optimal set?

Throwing my hat into the ring here with an unconventional Chansey set that's worked for me in the past.

Gastrodon (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Counter
- Scald / Toxic
- Infestation / Block / Clear Smog / Yawn

I personally run Scald and Infestation but the last slot can fill whatever role you see fit. The abundance of Knock-Offers in the game can not only help this set remain bulkier longer than other Chansey sets, but can also work as a delightfully devilish trap for those who might try to make Chansey easier to KO later down the line.

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Since we're talking about stall sets, i guess i also have a little something to talk about.

Victreebel (Sableye-Mega) @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Strength Sap
- Knock Off
- Clear Smog
- Encore / Sleep Powder

Victreebel is the only mon giving both Strength Sap and Knock Off, and that's pretty much what Megableye wants.
Clear Smog is there to prevent setup and reset attack debuffs to be able to use Strength Sap against some special attackers that can't 2HKO it.

Last edited:

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Since we're talking about stall sets, i guess i also have a little something to talk about.

Victreebel (Sableye-Mega) @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Strength Sap
- Knock Off
- Clear Smog
- Encore / Sleep Powder

Victreebel is the only mon giving both Strength Sap and Knock Off, and that's pretty much what Megableye wants.
Clear Smog is there to prevent setup and reset attack debuffs to be able to use Strength Sap against some special attackers that can't 2HKO it.
Strength sap on sableye is nice but the only problem I have with that set is against magic bounce users it has no recovery, because it gets bounced back. Other then that its a pretty good set but I don't think it should be used on stall cause of that reason.

Also adding on to the topic of stall, cresselia can wall lots of the meta just like any other wall. For example intimidate/furcoat buzzwole beats like 90% of physical attackers and alola muk can come in on pretty much every special attacker. So the argument that cress should be banned cause it walls majority of the meta is rather inaccurate, when lots of pokemon can wall alot of the meta because of the mechanics. Cresselia has really good mixed bulk and thats the only thing that sets it apart from other walls. However if cresselia was to be banned then pokemon like registeel and suicune would just become the next best mixed walls and stall will be just as good. I understand people dont like stall however there are many things that give problems for stall like mega medi/mega mawile/zard/pursuit/moldbreaker/mixed attackers.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Strength sap on sableye is nice but the only problem I have with that set is against magic bounce users it has no recovery, because it gets bounced back. Other then that its a pretty good set but I don't think it should be used on stall cause of that reason.

Also adding on to the topic of stall, cresselia can wall lots of the meta just like any other wall. For example intimidate/furcoat buzzwole beats like 90% of physical attackers and alola muk can come in on pretty much every special attacker. So the argument that cress should be banned cause it walls majority of the meta is rather inaccurate, when lots of pokemon can wall alot of the meta because of the mechanics. Cresselia has really good mixed bulk and thats the only thing that sets it apart from other walls. However if cresselia was to be banned then pokemon like registeel and suicune would just become the next best mixed walls and stall will be just as good. I understand people dont like stall however there are many things that give problems for stall like mega medi/mega mawile/zard/pursuit/moldbreaker/mixed attackers.
i think the point people are trying to make is that while intimidate buzzswole beats 90% of physical attackers, and alolan muk can switch into most special attackers, cress can practically switch into 80% of the meta

not saying its banworthy, or not banworthy, but i do agree, it seems to be able to switch in and reliably wall a LOT of pokemon on both sides, rather then one or the other. then again, with bulk better then arceus, its not much of a surprise. 120/120/130 is obviously the most bulkiest mon we have that isnt ubers/heavily invested in one side. so now that it has a variety of roles and great recovery on its side, its perfectly acceptable to see it as an issue.

im primarily a stall user, so im not a stall hater, but considering this mon can pack unaware and counter a majority of the tier unboosted as it is, its no surprise people are finding it a bit problematic. this thing can tank protean knock offs from marowak with thick club. its THAT bulky.
252 Atk Thick Club Protean Marowak Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 290-344 (65.3 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery(maro needs max speed to outspeed cress...)
this is one of the strongest stab knock off if not the actual strongest in inh. and if cress runs a whopping 8 speed iv's it outspeeds and can knock off its thick club.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 254-300 (57.2 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
huge power mawile doesnt even come close to 2hkoing it(it loses the item, so cress can safely heal up vs it). cress actually beats this. medicham is on the same boat.

zard can kind of beat cress...it becomes slower after 1 v-create and cress CAN roost stall it out of pp...but thats prob not cress' best interest. lol.

mixed attackers is self explanitory...if its not super effective, its not denting cress lol:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia: 181-214 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. one of the strongest mixed attackers fails to 2hko with max investment. (pretty sure they dont run 252 either...)

and this is all from one mon might i add, beating a plethora of common stallbreakers effortlessly with the same set.

as a stall/balance player, i can SEE where the issues lie...but i personally still think unburden/swift swim/surge surfer are bigger issues atm. how do you even offense with these?! i pick priority, they run psy terrain, i pick bulky mons, their electric terrain+rain boosted thunders and water attacks demolish my team one by one. then theres unburden lando, which just acrobatics+eq's my team to death. how is NOBODY talking about these three cancers. lol.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Just stopping by to post the new Viability Rankings post-Blacephalon! A lot of changes were made to not only the rankings themselves but also the listing of certain donors so make sure to check it out.

Inheritance Viability Rankings

S-Rank:

Celesteela (Xatu, Swoobat, Toucannon, Clefable, Flareon, Staraptor, Emolga, Tornadus-T, Vivillon)
Cresselia (Xatu, Swoobat, Clefable, Audino)

A-Rank:

A+

Alakazam-Mega (Tapu Lele)
Chansey (Sableye, Murkrow, Xatu, Persian-A, Mew, Corsola, Clefable)
Landorus-T (Zygarde, Gliscor, Sceptile, Mantine, Staraptor, Larvitar)
Suicune (Quagsire, Masquerain, Toxapex, Starmie, Corsola)
Terrakion (Slurpuff, Malamar, Tyrantrum, Breloom, Basculin, Machamp, Pinsir Larvitar)

A

Archeops (Toucannon, Rampardos, Aggron, Tyrantrum, Kecleon)
Azelf (Kecleon, Greninja, Ninetales-A)
Gengar (Nidoking, Mawile, Gourgeist)
Heatran (Torkoal, Flygon, Hydreigon, Solrock, Golem-A, Azelf)
Magearna (Audino, Bellossom, Ribombee, Xatu, Lunatone, Arcanine)
Medicham-Mega (Lucario, Necrozma, Scrafty)
Muk-Alola (Mienshao, Toxapex, Persian-A, Cryogonal)
Pinsir-Mega (Lucario, Dragonite, Zygarde)
Snorlax (Gliscor, Breloom, Linoone)
Tapu Koko (Mawile, Illumise, Xurkitree, Victini, Golem-A, Magearna, Kecleon, Ninetales-A)

A-

Buzzwole (Mienshao, Staraptor, Lurantis, Quagsire, Volbeat, Arcanine, Swoobat, Persian-A,)
Ferrothorn (Flareon, Miltank, Tangrowth, Pelipper, Heatran)
Garchomp (Gumshoos, Zygarde, Druddigon, Pangoro, Salamence)
Glalie-Mega (Lucario, Dragonite, Noivern)
Keldeo (Dragalge, Clawitzer, Masquerain, Feraligatr, Poliwrath)
Lopunny-Mega (Lucario, Tsareena, Mienshao, Hitmontop)
Tapu Fini (Masquerain, Quagsire, Starmie, Murkrow, Clefable)
Thundurus-I (Golem-A, Nidoking, Drampa)
Venusaur-Mega (Bellossom, Masquerain, Shiinotic)

B-Rank:

B+

Charizard Mega-Y (Victini, Drampa, Clefable, Volcarona)
Gardevoir-Mega (Chatot, Noivern, Flygon, Tapu Lele)
Golisopod (Crawdaunt, Feraligatr, Masquerain, Gliscor)
Pidgeot-Mega (Noivern, Dragonite, Chatot, Gyarados, Regice)
Registeel (Xatu, Tornadus-T, Solrock, Arcanine, Starmie, Flygon, Uxie)
Stakataka (Dhelmise, Bronzong, Necrozma, Claydol, Stakataka)
Swampert (Miltank, Corsola, Drampa)
Weavile (Mawile, Gumshoos, Mamoswine, Aurorus, Bruxish, Conkeldurr)
Xurkitree (Raichu-A, Rampardos, Tapu Koko, Whimsicott)

B

Altaria-Mega (Dragonite, Zygarde, Noivern, Flygon)
Bewear (Tyrogue, Lucario, Linoone, Lurantis, Slurpuff)
Bisharp (Lycanroc Dusk, Gumshoos)
Camerupt-Mega (Mew, Victini, Solrock)
Hippowdon (Gliscor, Quagsire, Salamence, Milktank)
Houndoom-Mega (Ninetales, Torkoal, Zoroark)
Latios (Tapu lele, Swoobat, Kecleon)
Marowak-Alola (Victini, Kecleon)
Mawile-Mega (Lucario, Magearna)
Salazzle (Nidoqueen, Torkoal)
Swampert-Mega (Empoleon, Gyarados, Politoed)
Toxapex (Quagsire, Masquerain, Emolga)
Tyranitar (Lycanroc-Dusk/Midnight, Crawdaunt)
Zapdos (Drampa, Clefable, Vivillon, Persian-A)

B-

Aerodactyl (Emboar, Toucannon, Shuckle, Drudiggon, Tyrantrum, Aggron)
Aerodactyl-Mega (Rampardos, Scrafty, Archeops)
Ampharos-Mega (Latias, Volbeat, Porygon-Z)
Chandelure (Torkoal, Nidoking, Gourgeist
Charizard Mega-X (Victini, Charizard)
Excadrill (Dhelmise, Lycanroc-Dusk, Gumshoos, Pangoro, Larvitar)
Hoopa (Kecleon, Porygon-Z, Necrozma)
Infernape (Golem-A, Nidoking)
Latias (Swoobat, Clefable, Xatu)
Mandibuzz (Murkrow, Toucannon, Tornadus-T, Persian-A)
Mew (Venomoth, Swoobat, Butterfree)
Meloetta (Necrozma, Exploud, Whimsicott, Audino)
Ninjask (Shuckle, Skarmory, Druddigon)
Sableye-Mega (Mew, Decidueye, Toxapex)
Sceptile-Mega (Serperior, Heliolisk, Exeggutor-A)
Umbreon (Swoobat, Toxapex, Persian-A)
Ursaring (Togekiss, Pikachu, Linoone)

C-Rank:

C+

Alakazam (Kecleon, Darmanitan, Tapu Lele)
Beedrill-Mega (Golisopod, Infernape)
Doublade (Persian-A, Flareon, Swoobat, Solrock, Xatu, Clefable)
Garchomp-Mega (Tyranitar, Zygarde)
Goodra (Slowking, Mienshao, Milktank)
Greninja (Manaphy, Crawdaunt)
Heracross (Mienshao)
Krookodile (Gumshoos, Lycanroc-Dusk)
Kyurem (Feebas, Aurorus, Ninetales-A, Sandslash-A. Dragalge)
Magnezone (Vikavolt, Magearna)
Nihilego (Solrock, Nidoking)
Pangoro (Crawdaunt, Lycanroc-Dusk, Bewear, Malamar)
Slowbro-Mega (Masquerain, Necrozma, Swoobat)
Skarmory (Flareon, Staraptor, Toucannon, Clefable, Arcanine)
Tapu Lele (Sylveon, Noctowl, Comfey)
Thundurus-T (Gyarados, Drampa)
Vikavolt (Illumise, Porygon-Z, Magearna)

C

Diancie-Mega (Donphan, Mew, Mawile)
Dusclops (Persian-A, Clefable)
Escavalier (Stakataka, Typhlosion)
Hydreigon (Clawitzer)
Kommo-o (Slowking, Clefable)
Primarina (Audino, Pelipper)
Rampardos (Kecleon, Lycanroc-Dusk, Tyrantrum)
Tyranitar-Mega (Palossand)
Zygarde (Gliscor)

C-

Diancie (Lunatone, Cradily, Audino, Clefable)
Drampa (Whimsicott)
Porygon-Z (Exploud, Whimsicott)
Raikou (Tapu Koko, Vikavolt, Latias, Audino)
Regirock (Mienshao, Quagsire, Hippowdon, Salamence)
Rotom-H (Golem-A)
Scizor-Mega (Klinklang, Pangoro)
Throh (Breloom, Mienshao)
Tornadus (Pelipper, Noctowl)
Type: Null (Persian-A, Clefable)
Virizion (Lurantis)

D-Rank:

Floatzel (Bibarel)
Guzzlord (Mienshao, Persian-A, Tornadus-T)
Sawsbuck (Sudowoodo)
Changes:
Code:
Celesteela: A+ -> S
Cresselia: A -> S
Suicune: A -> A+
Archeops: A- -> A
Azelf: A- -> A
Magearna: A- -> A
Lopunny-Mega: A -> A-
Venusaur-Mega: B+ -> A-
Mawile-Mega: A- -> B
Registeel: B -> B+
Swampert: B -> B+
Xurkitree: B -> B+
Bewear: B+ -> B
Zapdos: B+ -> B
Hippowdon: B- -> B
Chandelure: D -> B-
Goodra: B- -> C+
Skarmory: B- -> C+
Tapu Lele: B- -> C+
Guzzlord: C+ -> D
Mew: C+ -> B-
Beedrill-Mega: C- -> C+
Sableye-Mega: C+ -> B-
We are also still looking for some sample teams, so leave them as you wish!

Also thanks drampa's grandpa and Pigeons for helping with the update.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Just stopping by to post the new Viability Rankings post-Blacephalon! A lot of changes were made to not only the rankings themselves but also the listing of certain donors so make sure to check it out.

Changes:
Code:
Looks pretty nice, but there are still some changes I would make.

Magearna to A+, Bellossom listed as top donor: Again, QD Strength Sap is broken
Farfetch'd as a donor for Mega Beedrill: Golisopod gives you First Impression. Infernape gives you U-turn. Farfetch'd gives you both! Neat, huh?
Sceptile listed as top donor for Lando-T: unburden machine broke
Throh to D or Unranked: Who? What? Where? What even is this mon? Sure, it's tanky, but wouldn't you just use Conkeldurr at that point?

I liked to just say from what I immediately noticed that lack of comfey magearna which is honestly legitimately a good magearna set, magearna has the defenses to properly setup calm mindsand once u eliminate fire types , steel types (which it can carry HP fire for) and any Mon carrying unaware , this thing can run through teams if u let it boost enough

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I liked to just say from what I immediately noticed that lack of comfey magearna which is honestly legitimately a goof magearna set, magearna has the defenses to properly setup calm mindsand once u eliminate steel types , fire types (which it can carry HP fire for) and any Mon carrying unaware , this thing can run through teams if u let it boost enough
i support this. holy fuck is comfey mag better then it looks...its incredibly hard for offense to handle if it gets a chance to set up. it CAN creep unaware (both common unawaremons are 85 base) to taunt them but thats a LOT of bulk down the drain,. so id recommend against it. its honestly(from my experience using AND facing it) magearnas best set by far.

Last edited:

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer

Changes:
Code:

Also thanks drampa's grandpa and Pigeons for helping with the update.
Looks good, but I would add a few more changes.

Alola-Muk A -> A+ One of the best mons in the format with regen, it can wall pretty much every special attacker
Alakazam-Mega A+ -> A- Its really not A+ with all of the regen vest around and things like magearna
Lando A+ -> S With unburden its broken and can sweep unprepared team quite easily
Mega-Scizor C- -> C+ With pangoro it is a pretty good lategame sweeper
Raikou C- -> C+ Not sure why this is ranked so low, with xurk after tailglow and 1 kill it becomes a huge threat
Floatzel D -> UR Bad mon dont use this
Sawsbuck D -> UR Also not sure why this is ranked
Throh C- -> UR Buzzwole outclasses in so many ways
Buzzwole A- -> A Another really good mon on defensive and offensive teams and can run intim/fc/regen really well
Ninjask B- -> C+ Suicide leads are not good in a format with defog everywhere
Magearna A- -> A+ This thing is so bulky and with comfey/bello it is really good at tearing offensive apart
Virizion C- -> UR Outclassed by other things
Spirtomb UR -> D Best counter to medicham has a niche on stall
Marowak UR -> B- With protean its typing is better then alola marowak for the most part

As for donors I would add Torn-T for cress, Lanturn for primarina, GolemA for thundurous-t, remove audino on raikou and replace it with xurkitree, Corsola for registeel, persian-a for spirtomb, and replace kecleon on marowak-a for normal marowak as it is not weak to rocks.

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Looks good, but I would add a few more changes.

Alola-Muk A -> A+
Alakazam-Mega A+ -> A-
Lando A+ -> S
Mega-Scizor C- -> C+
Raikou C- -> C+
Floatzel D -> UR
Sawsbuck D -> UR
Throh C- -> UR
Buzzwole A- -> A
Ninjask B- -> C+
Magearna A- -> A+
Virizion C- -> UR
Spirtomb UR -> D
Marowak UR -> B-

As for donors I would add Torn-T for cress, Lanturn for primarina, GolemA for thundurous-t, remove audino on raikou and replace it with xurkitree, Corsola for registeel, persian-a for spirtomb, and replace kecleon on marowak-a for normal marowak as it is not weak to rocks.
albeit kind of niche, alolanwak has the included niche of being able to avoid will o wisps upon switchin/being outsped so thats a small detail for it. its typing also helps it switch into fighting/normal/fire/grass/poison/steel/fairy and bug moves, as opposed to regular's electric and rock. that helps a bit as a wallbreaker. normal maro is def the better proteaner, but alola-wak can utilize it too if these aspects are appealing to someone. (eg. someone with defog+bouncer and no other rock weak mons).

its a small detail i know, but when you think about it, being able to switch into prankster chanseys will o wisps and threatening it out can be HUGE for a wallbreaker like marowak. on top of that, marowak can also potentially switch into Stallmons like buzzswole, snorlax's facade, magearna, and some heatran sets. while regular marowak takes a decent chunk from all of them, meanwhile marowak really has NO beneficial aspects over alolanwak EXCEPT resistance to stealth rocks (which in itself is huge dont get me wrong) as most of alolawak's weaknesses will usually destroy regular wak too (eq, knock off, shadow ball etc). but with proper support its something you can definitely consider. again, small details, but definitely things that benefit wallbreakers moreso then ground typing.

Few sets I've tried putting together, not all too good compared to the top meta but can deal with some niche situations.

Jumpluff (Golisopod) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Strength Sap
-Toxic
-Infestation
-Leech Seed

Golisopod's bug typing allows him to wall any physical attacker not carrying Stone Miss or Thunderpunch. The moveset lets him grind down enemies slowly, entirely unaffected by stat changes. However, he is unable to do much about Steel-type stall, and can be wrecked by a good Stone Edge from many sweepers.

Tsareena (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Play Rough
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off

Deals with any priority move shenanigans, and smacks something really damn hard. Not much else to it.

Durant (Archeops) @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Aerial Ace
Feint Attack
Stone Edge
Superpower

Hit them with Aerial Ace, or take a gamble on extra-unaccurate Stone Edge. With an unboosted 853 ATK you'll bring the ouchies to anything on the receiving end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)