Interest in a regular Other Metagames tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Intro

Stars of the Mimic Glitch Metagame

Other Metagames are fun and interesting distractions. They can have different rules, different Pokemon available, and are enjoyable to play as a break from the normal metagames. However, all splinter metagames eventually suffer the same fate: lack of continuing interest. Players get briefly excited when the metagame is created, or if there is a new topic about the metagame, but in time everyone forgets about it and it ultimately sits rotting and wasted. This project aims to fix this problem by collecting a group of players that all like playing splinter metagames, and it would focus on one metagame at a time to always keep the game fresh, and give each otherwise forgettable metagame a brief moment in the spotlight.

The Process

Stars of the Middle Cup Metagame

The tournament would be a regular occasion; weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, whatever turns out to be best for the people interested. I'm not anticipating a huge crowd for this project, but a small group would be enough to keep things interesting. If this idea has enough interest, I will set up a tentative schedule for what metagame is played what period, but everything is open to community input. The tournament would be played Round Robin (every player faces every player at least once) and allow for team changes between matches, so the players would only have to theorymon a team, then tweak it during the tournament as experience settles out the team. This way, the players won't have to do a tremendous amount of work to prepare for the tournament, hopefully increasing interest.

What You Can Do

Stars of the 1v1 Metagame

If you are at all interested, please post here! It isn't a binding agreement, you don't need to show up for every tournament, I just want to know if there are enough players interested for the tournament to be enjoyable. Also, you can join the IRC channel I made, #splinter. Don't expect more than one or two people, but if I'm there (generally from 5-10 EST), you can expect at least some conversation.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If anyone is interested in hosting a tourney on PS, I'd like to say that as of now pokemon showdown officially supports both Balanced and unbalanced hackmons as well as CAP, and streetmons is in the works. Any tier other than those (and for now streetmons) is doable, but it requires complete trust that each and every applicant both fully understands the rules and is not intentionally breaking them. This is not to say that they aren't doable, but you should keep in mind that you run a much higher chance of the whole thing getting ruined by one guy that dones't follow the rules (before LC was implemented in LC tourneys people using level 100 pokemon not getting caught until the finals happened more than I was comfortable with).

On that note, we guarantee nothing, but if a metagame gets popular in here, there's always the possibility of it ending up on site with its own ladder.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
NU had NUgget Bridge, RU had RUgged Mountain, UU has their UU Mafia. Why don't we have one?

(lol 3 months late >.>)

Alright, so old thread is old, but that being said if some people are interested in the idea now I'm totally in. I'd gladly set-up a weekly tournament if we could get enough people on borad. Obviously 16 plus is preferable but this definitely doable with 8 or more players if only to keep these games alive and maybe give new ones a chance when they come along.

...or if someone else wanted to run these I'd totally play.

I play Hackmons and Balanced hackmons (as far as other metagames go) but I'd gladly pick up another one or two just to keep these things afloat and hopefully recruit a few more players.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Well, given the massive number of replies to the BH thread, I'd say that this is a definite possibilty. The question is whether anyone can be bothered.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd love to see regular tournaments of other metagames. We get interest in them on paper but we never get nearly as many seriously battling in them (at least, from what I've seen).

I'd participate if it satisfies two requirements:

1. Is played on wi-fi.
2. Only allows legal pokémon.

Well considering Hackmons and Balance Hackmons are the most common other metagames played, and the fact that everyone uses Showdown that seems unlikely Ludwig.

I'm thinking we should try it with Hackmons or Balance Hackmons and see what happens. Balance Hackmons is ostensibly the preferred metagame but usage stats say Hackmons is played slightly more.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Something like this is planned. You'll see in a matter of a few days.
I pop in to OM for the first time in a while, and my old thread has exploded with activity (relative to previous activity anyways). Looks like I should stick around a while, I still think something similar to this will help consolidate a playerbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)