ORAS NU Into Darkness(Peaked #1,90gxe)

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Hello everyone, LucianVega here.I havent done RMT in a while,actually its been a few months now,so I hope you like this one,its one of my favourite Semi-stall teams i built so far.

Intro:
-There have been a lot of changes in NU these few months, some things dropped to NU and some things left, Sawk and Sceptile recently got banned, which made this metagame personally most enjoying one for me so far, Sceptile was overwhelming threat that easily weakens its checks and basically just destroys offense, while Sawk was just too hard to switch into,forcing every defensive/balanced builds to run at least 2 checks for it, and after it got banned it just left a lot of space for balance builds to breathe.
With Sceptile gone,a lot of things became more viable again,from archeops/tauros to things like floatzel which i think are amazing pokemon overall,and sceptile just made them a lot harder to use, but with this decision they will be much more common and one of the top threats in the metagame rn,which every teams need to be prepared for.
-Now,there are 2 ways for building teams for me, one way is to start with offensive core that will deal and break as many defensive stuff as possible, and another way to build is starting from defensive core and then patching the weaknesses. I usually start with offensive core, and thats how I built since my last RMT and some teams later, but with this team I decided to go in different direction and prepare for as much threats as I can from the start,which is where my team starts. Now,keep in mind, I made this team after Sceptile got banned so its new, but I have been testing it for a while now, and after peaking 1# I decided to RMT it.

Building Process:
  • Team started with Regirock,under appreciated Stealth rocker that i think is amazing at moment,having sky high defense stat while also having a really high Spdef stat, it checks/counters so many threats that became more usable after Sceptile dropped and cant be easily lured by them, compared to Steelix which i also think is amazing Stealth rocker, an excellent glue for teams and also checks so many stuff, but the difference between them is that I think Steelix is just slapped on team as psychic check/normal/flying resists(and so on...) that it already became so easy to lure, and after it dies, opposing teams can easily break through yours with things like normal spam which is really dangerous for unprepared teams, while also getting lured from things like special Skuntank/Specs Mesprit which recently got more popular. Regirock isnt really afraid of getting lured that easy as even things like Iron tail Tauros /Earth power Archeops wont do massive damage vs it. But with it in team,it also becomes a bit harder to cover things that for example Steelix could be glue for.
  • With that, for a second pokemon , I also choose an underrated defensive wall, being Gourgeist. There are things like Vileplume/Weezing that also pair excellent with Regirock, but I think Gourgeists ability to recover, not being weak to ground and weakened like (Weezing could be easily wore down cuz it would be forced to run moveset that gets pressured so easily if paired with regirock), checking almost every ground and rock pokemon while also being a spinblocker, is excellent choice to pair it with, Regirock walling almost all Fire moves for it while Gourgeist walling all fighting/Ground/physical waters like Rott for it. Another balance corebreakers are things like SD Pinsir/SD Kabutops, which just rips through balanced teams after one boost,and it easily weakens things like plume/weez if it already doesnt ohko them on a high role, while gourgeist checks them a lot better, stops even Malamar from boosting without having a need for Worry seed and being scared for random Low ladder psycho cut set(lol).
  • Third pokemon is one of my favourite things to glue most of my either balanced/BO builds, it patches the water weakness from Special rott/ Omastar/Floatzel ,its special bulk is just amazing, also deals with Focus blast random Magmortars and from Zard if Regirock gets weakened as fire check, youll see a bit later that moveset that I posted can be changeable depending on preference, so I am open to your suggestions guys! One important thing that I consider while building every team, is also an electric immunity, which helps teams a lot, stops opponent from getting momentum and getting a free switchin into some wallbreakers like (lets say Aurorus, which is very threatening vs unprepared teams), so Lanturn was obvious choice for me so far.
  • Now, with already having a solid defensive core, it didnt take me long to quickly decide for next 2 pokemon ,as this kinda building represents my recent builds.With leading to more defensive style with this team, I definitely knew I shouldnt go with Rapid spinner as my hazard control, there are many popular spinblockers rn, and with them spikes/t spikes hazard stack teams being so popular having a spinner like Claydol/or an offensive Defoger like Shiftry wasnt a best idea to choose because claydol gets weakened pretty easily and Shiftry just clicks defog and dies.I also didnt have a best way to deal with Taunt Weezing and way to absorb Toxic spikes, which is where 2 of my next pokemon come in game.
  • Skuntank, my Psychic check, my Toxic spikes absorber,*kinda weezing check i may say too* but I can say it patches the team really well having the ability to remove the hazards relatively easily,while having a really decent special bulk to last longer in game is why i choose it as my Hazard control, switches into Vileplume as well which was an issue to my core so far, so It just fills the right bill.
  • With Skuntank being able to Defog with Ease, Charizard was my next pokemon of choice for a wallbreaker, there are definitely few reasons why I chose it over other fire types and ill go over it rn. Its also a pokemon that i dont use very often,but I think it fits pretty nicely here, being able to easily 2 KO hariyama which is a very common fire check, also it has coverage move in Focus Blast to deal with annoying thick fat miltank which just stops fire types overall, it really gives a team a nice speed and a really good wallbreaker, also another Ground immunity and basically a free switchin into steelix for this team,which is very important not to let gourgeist check everything or gets easily wore down by things like toxic, its my Wisp absorber and my second grass check. There is negative part to Zard, and its being weak to rocks which can get a bit annoying if you have only spinner to remove hazards for it, but i think with Skuntank its not gonna be a huge issue.
  • And to end the team,it took me really long,even few days only to choose the last pokemon, my favourite part of team right now and so fun to use, but lets get back to the team again. With a solid defensive core,nice hazard control and a good wallbreaker, what did I need now? What was my team struggling against? This is where i started to question and make lists of pokemon that i could use, but i really didnt want to change my team when i already got so far, but I also couldnt find a right fit. I rechecked the team and realised i struggle with Aurorus and ice types overall, I didnt have win condition and i *kinda struggled vs stall archetypes*, but I just couldnt find the right fit for the team, i was thinking of even changing some of my sets and had list consisted of things like RP Regice/vanilluxe/scarf jynx for last pokemon and was reconsidering using Zard for things like NP ninetales and having Xatu to have better matchup vs defensive teams.
  • Luckily,after few days of testing, I decided to go with my innovative set, something I havent seen being used at all, and it fit the bill and glues the team overall.
  • To start with,Calm Mind Grumpig is a standard set rn, Colbur bery one, but I decided to go with Substitute/Calm mind set which is imo a very different approach from standard offensive CM one.
  • It checks ice types, basically counters Jynx, threatens aurorus with its awesome coverage move in Focus Blast which other psychics dont have, it gives me another Hitmonchan switchin which helps gourgeist not to get threatened by life orb boosted ice punches, and it Also escapes the pursuit from Skuntank which is a very common switchin to grumpig, and after few stealth rocks damage, pursuit skuntank will be very weakened to the point you can just fire off a Focus Blast (if youre lucky to hit). CM Sub grumpig is so bulky that after one Cm its spdef hits high levels, and with sub it evades a toxic and status moves overall, and I think it does very well vs Stall, it also has a chance for 2 ko-ing quagsire with psychic which is why i decided to run it over psyshock.
Overall:
-I play with this team very defensively, not predicting too much because not many things threatens it, its made to check common threats in this metagame so you can play pretty safely with it. If Hazards are annoying you, defog whenever you can because you dont want team to get slowly weakened every turn, and you can pretty much defog vs any garbodor/psychic type since they arent gonna do too much damage. In short, its basically walling stuff, destroying with Zard, late game setting up with Grumpig and winning, be sure to weaken any skuntank before you attempt to do it tho.

Team Preview:

Valus (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Wave

-This is also my first RMT with nicknames,so I hope you like them too,Regirock is named after one of the Colossi which I thought it was pretty cool, as they looked similar.
Now back to the team, Regirock, my check to so many physical threats in tier rn,while also being a resist to special cleaners like Boomburst Swellow that can weaken steelix so easily, was my choice to start the team with, its titan base defense allows it to take multiple physical and special hits while easily setting up rocks vs them/twaving them and also having passive recovery in lefties which things like Rhydon cant afford to have. Its a bit passive ,but stealth rocks is move that immediately makes it do a lot for the team. Stone edge/Rock slide is a choice, missing with stone edge is a bit of an annoyance but it hits very hard, while with rock slide you get better accuracy, much more PP but less power.
*Changed Regirock Spread,removed attack Evs because i didnt really need them,it turns Regirock into a Lot more reliable fire counter for team with new spread and improves its longevity*

Tayuya (Gourgeist-Super) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Foul Play

-Gourgeist, I think Super Large one is definitely the best version for a physical wall, smaller ones are nice for stallbreak but not really having much use outside of that, small ones can act as spinblocker on hazard stack too being able to whittle down opponents with sub seed +tspikes, while Gourgeist large is one i can see on Stall teams, taking on bigger threats like Sd rott/kabutops much more easier with its higher HP stat, it has lower speed but that doesnt bother it at all.
Moveset was a bit complicated, not really easy for me to choose the right fillers, but I decided to go with both Seed bomb and Foul play. Seed bomb for taking on water types easier,ground types right away, and its just a nice stab considering gourgeist has a decent base atk, while Foul play is here to deal with setup sweepers like Lum Pinsir or Klinklang which would otherwise setup on it, i dont think leech seed is as neccessary but its a nice another option.Colbur is here for walling fighting types better, switching in knock offs and a standard item in general.

Tina (Lanturn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 232 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave/Whirlpool/Toxic
- Heal Bell

-Lanturn,the everything special check lol,its just a nice pivot and a glue to the team, deals easily with threats that bother regirock/gourgeist, Scald is a magic move, Thunder Wave is a magic move as well, not too much to say. Only noticeable thing here is Whirlpool, which isnt as common, but it really helps with opposing lanturn as they can get pretty annoying for this team so I suggest really considering if you dont like having Lanturn wars, also helps Zard and Grumpig sometimes, while Twave spam with regirock creates a nice speed control for team.EV spread isnt standard, I stole this from Shadestep post on forums lol, I didnt know what exactly it does but all i wanted was defensive lanturn EV spread without speed because i already checked jolly Rhydons and probably things that creep it like Mantine. Blocking Volt switch is very useful,so yeah, thats it about Tina.

Le Male (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SpA / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
OR
EVs: 252 SpA / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Defog

-To start with this,Physical Skuntank shouldnt be used as defoger, and thats what everyone needs to know, im just repeating this in case someone new reads the descriptions and slaps a Skuntank with defog forgetting the set was Special and not Physical, i see this mistake on ladder a lot, and while it sometimes(really rare cases can work , it mostly wont because common rockers like steelix just walls/beats it completely)
Yes, you can all see that move, Acid Spray is something i decided to go because it easily forces the switches from my experience and it deals with CM users like xatu/mushy a Lot easier, it also deals a nice amount of damage to phys def audino,which can become a pretty annoying if its a setup one.
It gets pretty much easy switches to most spike users like Garbodor and can beat Ferroseed and Rocker Steelix , doing a massive amount of damage with Dark pules/Fire blast and also can help weaken them for easier Grumpig sweep later on.

Sabellian (Charizard) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Focus Blast

-My wallbreaker, Wisp absorber, Ground immunity and it hits soo much with its coverage moves that it deserved a spot on team.Now ,the set im using is not really something id recommend in current meta, it wasnt easy to decide the item because things like Barbaracle/Rhydon/omastar can just easily setup vs wrong coverage move, the reason i can afford using specs is the defensive backbone that i already have in team which allows me to take on almost anything that can setup vs it. All the coverage moves deals with a lot of fire answers, ofc Sliggo can get a bit annoying but still takes a lot from air slash and its a pokemon that just gets wore down during game, but i think its not gonna be that common now that Sceptile is gone.*Life orb gives Zard longevity and not being locked in a choice move is useful vs setup sweepers, Specs can be ran but only if you have *balls of steel* with Hp grass over roost,but in the long run I think LO is probably best item for special Zards in general.
*(Option):Pyroar,as suggested by GhoulWrath is a good option to run over Zard
  • *Upside*:Higher speed, doesnt have X4 weakness to rocks and Skuntank isnt pressured as much to Defog, better Ghost check and good double stab.
  • Also,Manectric Just Dropped, so pyroar makes a good offensive check vs it as it outspeeds it by 1 point so its another upside, altough Lanturn basically counters manectric with my spread and i dont think its a pokemon that shapes the meta so i dont think i should be worried that much about it.
  • *Downside*:Zard has better coverage moves in focus blast/air slash which alows me hit bulky fire resists(except lanturn) while pyroar double stab is nice but zard hits a lot more with those 2.Pyroar adds a ground weakness to the team and makes gourgeist more pressured and crippled by toxic if you dont want pyroar to get revenged early game by sturdy steelix, also has worse matchup vs piloswine which is more common on spike stack offense teams.
Overall:I find zard to be more helpful for this team and break more stuff early game,but Pyroar definitely fits well.

Mochyn (Grumpig) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

-This set really works well with this team, I didnt think I needed 3rd coverage move on Grumpig and Substitute added so much helping me beat things like a bit weakened stall,helps me escape pursuits from skuntank and just sets up vs weaker sp.atkers,it basically becomes soo bulky after even 1 Cm and really adds a nice niche touch to the team which I really enjoy.My another Fire check(as i already dont have too much lol), crucial ice check and win cond for the team, and thats where i finish! EV Spread allows me to outspeed base 55s, max HP to get the max out of its bulk, and these Evs in sp.atk have a chance for 2 Ko-ing Quagsire with psychic which is pretty nice.Focus Blast is really an Amazing Coverage move to have on psychic types ,as it bops Steel/Dark/Normal/Rock types so hard, missing is annoying but blame the hax!
Overall, fun to use, im still open to opinions and I hope you like the team!

Threatlist:
-Mixed Abomasnow-Mixed abomasnow is only ice type i find threatening so far, due to Wood hammer base power and ability to hit my ice resist harder than other ice types, you can pretty much outspeed kill it with offensive stuff or just paralyze it to deal with it.
-Golurk-lol luckily no one uses this thing, its generally hard to fit on teams so i wont be worried about it, just play carefully around it and thats it, burn it with wisp or burn it forever with Zard lol.
-Lilligant-Yes, I have 2 liligant checks in skuntank/zard and yet i still find it pretty annoying after a boost, Only HP Rock ones will be threatening as hp fire/ice wont do much to zard, lanturn and regi can twave it on switch so play around it carefully as well.
-Ludicolo-ahh, the only dangerous rain sweeper vs this team,you wont see rain that much after all these suspect finished, but be careful of ludicolos amazing coverage, try to Twave it if you decide to run it on lanturn, or either weaken it with something before rain ends.
-CM Xatu-one word,aids. Just go directly into skuntank and if its Calm minds click acid spray and outspeed it next turn with dark pulse,you can bop it with regirock as well, and Zard will deal massive damage.

Proof of Peak:

Shotouts to(lol didnt know how to tag :/):
-Ill start with my PO friends, my TR buddies being Hurricane,karki tho ,Hassin627 and of course ChillShadow being the one with me from the start,we had a lot of fun, too bad you dont play NU anymore :/ Also miss Violate
-Then of course LA members Melle2402, Casparov ,Metamence, MagicBounce, which are amazing and fun people
-draciel,JoyFrost ,Spaintakula,Jethalal ,nidomega ,violate,Toxipuff,!!!
-ill probably be adding later on O:
And now,lets move to PS and give huge shotout from everyone in Hellfireclub, of course the best room around!
,Unbo,Chillshadow again, Lordoutrage,Chainy,Zben, TRSC(unfortunately youre not as often here :/), Kamehameha(rip kana),Garbodorking, Leru,Dta piano, Cubonesmotherr,Hellfirecancer(special shotout),Sonicgirl,Lucq,OgTerrie, Horsehead3,Purpledoosh,Scheff,Traceoflife,Njnp, Bighairypenguin, grilledclawitzer,Carcy, Bert C , who make PS always fun for me!

-Cool NU peepz:
Eternally gets the special shotout here
AssassinRogue, BasedSexyPants,0da, allstar,silver aurum,nv,yogibears,lolbro,shaneghoul,nadaplease, TTFTW,shadowtags,realistic waters,brandonbeast, marilli (unfortunately youre not here anymore ;/),raseri,shadestep,erisia,wintershowl who all gave me support which meant a lot and helped me improve.
Hjad for being awesome tutor!

Importable:
Valus (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Wave

Tayuya (Gourgeist-Super) (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis
- Foul Play

Tina (Lanturn) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 232 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Le Male (Skuntank) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SpA / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Defog

Sabellian (Charizard) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Mochyn (Grumpig) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Last edited:
Pretty good team. No real advice tbh. Good to see Regirock getting more use, I can see it becoming flavor of the month soon, it's pretty damn useful due to its resists, movepool and massive bulk.

Awesome team man its cool that Grumpig is seeing some more usage and Sub Grumpig is something I dont think anyone has really tried. Mostly solid team but there are some things to experiment with.

Unbo is right when SE can be stalled out on Regirock however I suggest Curse Regirock as a secondary win con. This set is a bit unorthodox but the surprise factor could help you beat other certain setup sweepers.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide

We both know you like innovation and this set lets you 1 v 1 CM Xatu if Skunk gets too weakened since Curse will nullify Psyshock's boosts when Xatu Cm's. If Xatu reveals Grass Knot early you know that Skunk walls it. Coverage moves aren't necessary since this is really just a backup win-con and meant to scare your opponent into sending into a response which you can either dent with a boosted Rock Slide or even T-wave, since Lanturn can Heal Bell any status you accumulate. Also Twave + Rock Slide will lead to hilarious para flinches and the speed drop will help nullify your negative boosts from Curse. The EV spread can be changed but it just gives you some extra Spdef bulk in case you want to start setting up on weak special attackers. Also the extra special bulk helps you deal with Mixed Chops better.

I think Gourgeist is fine since KlinkKlang looks scary if lanturn/Zard get weakened since a + 1 Return can do decent damage and Foul Play prevents Gourg being setup fodder for Sub KlinkKlang. This might be overkill however since most KlinkKlangs you see, which are rare now due to Lix, will be hard pressed to fit both Return/Sub into their moveslot due to Magnet Rise being necessary due to the popularity of Lix and also Rhydon again.

Finally, being a Semi Stall team longevity is always a nice thing since you dont have too much reliable recovery on your team and no wish passer. Thats where Life Orb Charizard can be a potential better slot here since Focus Blast and Hp Grass is kinda overkill and you should run the coverage that fits your team better since Roost will help you maintain the longevity of Charizard. Specs may have massive breaking power but can be played around more easily and be used as setup fodder after a kill for scary sweepers in case Mixed SS Costa comes back as a popular threat which kinda wrecks your team.

All in all solid team take the suggestions with a grain of salt.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
Hey guys, tnx for feedback and now back to your rates:

• I agree that regirock 8 PP Stone edge/miss chance is only downside of using it, its a strong stab and has a Crit chance which can be helpful in some situations(altough you should never rely on it), but its miss chance can be pretty annoying sometimes, so I pretty much like your Rock tomb advice unbo, as well as your Curse regi advice 0da, its definitely something cool to experiment with, stone edge really worked well but i think regi can work without it as well, so im just waiting someone to adjust my EV spread ,also having curse on regi is sometimes nice with things like xatu as u suggested but downside to that is that curse+sturdy arent compatibile together, so id rather take rock tomb/rock slide suggestion and leaving thunder wave as it can be pretty useful in rare situations
  • *edit*: changed stone edge to rock slide in regirock

• Secondly, I agree with Unbo and 148 Ev speed rather than 24 Ev speed Skuntank is nice to have for outspeeding some stuff,so ill leave spread be like that over the bulkier one.
  • *Speedy skuntank>slow skuntank*
  • And to the last suggestion, i agree with 0da that longevity on pokemon like zard on semi stall leading team like this can be useful, however on this team i really prefer that sheer power of specs that it offers you, Its coverage moves hits a lot and will give you instant early game wallbreaking .
  • (life orb gives team longevity and allows zard to recover while also hitting things with coverage moves)

Last edited:
Hey man, hope you're well :) I want to begin this rate with a couple of important statements. Firstly, I am no noob despite this being a new Smog account - I am an extremely skilled, strategical player, who is peaked 1 on the ladder at the time of writing (67 Wins, 12 Losses inc. disconnects), primarily using my variant of this team - I have attached a screenshot to prove this. Secondly, congratulations on the team, it scarcely has any unwinnable matchups if you play well, it's extremely sound defensively and very satisfying to win with.

The changes I made for the team I topped the ladder with are firstly to switch Specs Zard out for Specs Pyroar, as much as it pains me with Charizard being my favourite Pokemon. This is for multiple reasons - the most important of which is alleviating some pressure on Skunk to Defog Rocks away. You will still make it your priority to remove them in most cases but its not absolutely crippling if Skunk fails to do so, as it is with Zards 4x Stealth Rock weakness.

Secondly, you gain a useful Ghost immunity which makes it a fantastic switchin to Mismagius and a free chance to fire off a nuke and also helps against Rotom as you can go into Lanturn first to scout their set. If they Volt Switch or TBolt you have your health restored and can then Volt Switch - if they switch out you gain momentum and if they stay in and use Will O Wisp you Volt Switch into Pyroar and decimate something. If they Shadow Ball you can assume Scarf, as non scarf sets run Hex, and switch into Pyroar for free. Essentially the only common moves Rotoms use other than the electric STABs are Will O Wisp, Hex, Shadow Ball, and Trick and against Lanturn they are forced to use one of these affording you a free switchin to Pyroar.
Finally, Pyroar hits a higher speed tier than Charizard, allowing it to outspeed Pokemon like Mismagius, opposing Zards, Scyther and tying with Liepard and opposing Pyroar, that Zard cannot.
I understand Charizard can break some of the best special fire type counters in the tier with Focus Blast and Air Slash coverage (AV Hariyama, Regirock etc.) and Pyroar cannot as easily but 1. You have an infallible switchin and counter to Hariyama in Gourgeist and also Grumpig that can seriously damage it and everything on your team with the exception of Skuntank can take on opposing Regirock and 2. Pyroar's Hyper Voice gives you a way to significantly damage Lanturns switching in without locking yourself into a weak HP Grass, and the team is weaker to Lanturn than either Regirock or Hariyama.

Stone Edge> Rock Slide on Regirock, the improved accuracy, higher PP and ability to paraflinch threats outweigh the benefits of Stone Edge's increased power.

Next I switched Colbur Berry for Leftovers on Gourgeist. The passive recovery helps immensely given your lack of Leech Seed and the Colbur Berry matters less than you would expect. For example even without Colbur you can freely switch Gourgeist into AV Hariyama, given its immense physical bulk, take approximately ~ 40% even if they correctly predict and Knock Off, after which you outspeed and can Synthesis/Will O Wisp at your leisure and Knock Off will be significantly weaker for the rest of the game allowing Gourgeist to switch in with impunity. Zangoose is a similar situation and you have Regirock for it regardless even if they break Gourgeist with a crit. Cacturne you will be switching into Skuntank in the first instance anyway to scout its set, if it is special, Skunk or Pyroar can deal with it, if its physical the only physical dark type move it uses is Sucker Punch, Skunk can deal with it if its healthy enough and if not, Gourgeist can switch back in and Will O Wisp then Synthesis, never having to take a Sucker Punch. Even Malamar, as youll see in one of my replays, you can switch Gourgeist directly into, to prevent them gaining attack and defense boosts from Superpower, Knock Off wont come close to the 2HKO and will be weakened after the first use. Then you can proceed to burn Malamar and stall it out of Knock Off, Rest and Sleep Talk PP, burning it every time it wakes up.
Leftovers is extremely helpful to keep Gourgeist in good health throughout the match for Pokemon like Hitmonchan, which the team doesnt enjoy facing, Scarf Ape, Rhydon and Barbaracle/Carracosta in particular both of which Gourgeist is the team's only answer to if they manage to Shell Smash. Obviously also helps against residual damage from Burn/Toxic that Gourgeist tends to attract, until you have the opportunity to Heal Bell.

Finally, I'm going to be honest, I just think that Grumpig set is terrible. Ive been running Colbur Berry over Leftovers and 252 SAtk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def with Psychic, Focus Blast, Signal Beam and Calm Mind. It is standard for a reason - this gives you a definitive answer to Malamar, quite a threat to the current team, and allows you to hit opposing Psychics like Mesprit, Mushy, Grumpig for super effective damage. It can also bop opposing Shiftrys or Cacturnes due to Colbur Berry if that's Grumpigs most useful function in that match, without risking a Focus Miss.

Overall its a fantastic team, I can't eulogize about it enough, its a pleasure to use and I congratulate you on the creation of it and the success with it. I hope this rate was beneficial, because I do have extensive experience with this team and I put a lot of thought and time into this post.

Please let me know your thoughts and check out my replays guys :)
Peace

Attachments

Last edited:

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
This is what i would call a good rate ghoulwrath, and congrats on your peak.
I saw your replays and it really helps improving which mon to play around with, this team can definitely have some variations and these variations gives me different matchups vs particular playstyles on ladder and in general.Now to the rate:

• I like your Pyroar rate, its a overall a good fire pokemon with really good speed tier outspeeding everything except things like archeops/tauros which my team easily takes on, it gives the team an amazing mismagius switchin and lets me deal with ghost types easier than charizard does, also doesnt let get Skuntank pressured by ghosts and doesnt pressure skuntank to defog if i need zard, its double stab allows me to hit lanturn a bit more since hyper voice is a spammable stab, which is a good reason to run pyroar on this team.
  • However,running pyroar has its downsides,it gives team a crippling ground weakness, which would be 4 pokemon weak to ground, and gourgeist taking all that pressure for checking all ground types/fighting,getting toxiced and weakened in process is a downside of using it over Zard.Pyroar also has a bit worse matchup vs stall/semi types archetypes having only hyper voice/fblast coverage to hit things, while zard hits Miltanks, Hariyamas, Cradilys and does instant early game damage to them if they are opponents only fire checks, which is really common on mid ladder/or defensive archetypes, zard can hit lanturns for ok-ish damage with hp grass/focus miss but yea lanturn is a bit of an issue of using zard over pyroar. Spike stack teams with Piloswine is another downside of using pyroar, which Zard has a good chance of Ohkoing early game with focus blast which pyroar cant, and zard gives me free switchin to steelix which can revenge kill pyroar with EQ after sturdy activates,but cant damage zard. Air slash will also be able to check gurdurrs which are most likely do drop this month and cant be revenged by mach punch which is also thing to notice, but youre right about having counter in gourgeist for things like yama and stuff.
  • Ill definitely put Pyroar as option, as its a fast threat with double stab and good speed tier, so tnx for that suggestion.
  • Regirock rate is completely correct, ill leave rock slide over stone edge as flinch chance is nice with twave as you said and higher PP is a lot more important for slower teams.

• Now, the part i really cant agree with is Gourgeist one, leftovers is indeed cool thing to have on it, but leftovers is item id only suggest on spike stack balance/bulky offense teams as you have enough knock off switchins in garbodor. But another thing to notice is SD Shiftry, which is a huge threat if skuntank gets weakened and if gourgeist has lefties, which gets ohkoed in process. Yes ,passive recovery is important but gourgeist is mostly what is gonna be switched into haryiamas and shiftrys,and burning shifty in process while not getting ohkoed is very important. Of course, skuntank can *Somewhat check it* but i think neither acid spray or fire blast can KO shiftry in process from full health.

• Grumpig set was here a bit customizable, im still testing a team and Sub Cm has put a lot of work for me, letting me sub vs hitmonchans and stuff or fat things like audino that can Toxic and wear down standard set, having sub it can serve as decent stallbreaker. Sub and lefties also lets me not get trapped by skuntank which would get a bit of annoying even if it had colbur since next time it gets trapped will die, also non lefties offensive set can switchin on aurorus/other ice/fire types only once or twice which isnt enough for me,i like longevity on grumpig and i think its spdef stat is enough to utilize this set, while on the other hand colbur with signal beam deals with malamars better.I think colbur offensive grumpig fits better on bulky offensive teams tho, which appreciate soft ice checks and cool wincond.
-Overall,really good rate,cant say much more and tnx for time you put into it.

sup dude, this team looks rly solid, a bit slow but hard to break so gj on that.

the biggest thing i can suggest is to go Life Orb > Choice Specs on zard because SS Omastar looks like the biggest threat to this team and being able to switch up moves and giving it one less thing to set up on is always helpful (as far as im aware you dont miss out on any KO's by not running specs anyways). Also roost really increases zard's longevity and its ability to switch in on stuff which is important on a more balanced build like this.

cool team and congrats on peak!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)