Introducing: The New and Improved UU Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Basically, we're moving away from the old 7 person tiering council and towards a more fluid system which will allow us to incorporate other people into votes. The main reason we had not done this before was due to my fear of letting people who "only do well on the ladder but don't actually know what they're talking about" vote, but I came up with a nice solution to that problem, which you'll read about in a little.

Anyway, the system will work as follows:

There will be a fixed number of permanent Senate seats--seven or nine, to be exact, which are to filled by the people in the previous Senate and via applications. However, in addition to those seven seats, we're going to open up an additional four rotating seats, which can be filled up at each individual vote by people who meet the requirements. Here's the catch, though: we can decide to add four, two, or even zero people to each vote. This way we don't restrict ourselves and are not forced to include people we deem unworthy in each vote.

As for requirements, they're pretty vague because--to put it bluntly--if you deserve to vote, we'll know. A rough idea of what we're looking for would be:

1. A good playing record (this includes both ladder and tournaments).
2. A good posting record (mainly in this forum).
3. A solid IRC presence.
4. We may even ask you to provide a short "sample vote" paragraph to gauge your suspect-reasoning skills.

Specific requirements will be announced at each individual vote.

The Current Senate:

RT. (Senate Leader)
DestinyUnknown
reachzero
FlareBlitz
PK Gaming
kd24
JabbaTheGriffin

Other Notes:

• Senate members are permanent unless they step down or are replaced for inactivity. They will either be replaced through new applications or grabbed from an applicant from the last time.
  • Suspects won't be determined by a nomination thread, but rather by community opinion in the megathreads. If enough people bring up a Pokemon and debate it, a separate thread will be opened and the Senate will then vote on it.
  • A suspect needs only to receive a simple majority vote by the Senate to be banned.

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello, everyone.

As you may or may not know, due to my promotion to tier leader, I'm being forced to step down from the Seante. What this means for you? Applications for the UU Senate are now officially open.

Applying is simple; just send RT. and myself a PM including the following information:

• A short paragraph telling us why you think you'd be a good fit. Include information about how active you've been with BW UU, your tournament and ladder accomplishments, and other general stuff here.
  • A screenshot of your current UU ladder ranking. Use the one that comes up with the /ranking command, not what the ladder shows, because we want to see your win/loss ratio as well.
  • One or two short paragraphs about your opinion on a recent suspect (doesn't have to be in UU). Feel free to include arguments for both sides if you think it'll make your point clearer, but please do pick one. We're using this to gauge your suspect reasoning skills.

Keep in mind that if you're selected to be on the Senate, you will be expected to be active in the UU community (both on the forum and in #genvuu), play the tier often in order to keep up with the metagame, and submit a vote for every suspect. Please, do not apply unless you plan on taking the job seriously.

We'll be adding anywhere from one up to four new members, so your chances are pretty good this time around.

Deadline to apply is January 1st, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.

That is all.

kokoloko

Hello.

Because of real life getting in the way of his Senate duties, Upstart has stepped down. I hope you resolve your real life situation soon, and you know you're welcome back here whenever.

Anyway, Jabba and kd24 are the new Senators. They had the best applications and both RT and myself trust their judgement.

Metric would have made it as well if there was another good application to go with his (I would have expanded the Senate to nine people), so he's next in line to get in if someone steps down.

Be sure to congratulate them on their walls.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)