IPL [Won By Chennai Super Kings]

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
With the IPL well underway I figured it deserved its own thread.

Chennai Super Kings: M S Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Murali Vijay, Albie Morkel (all retained), Wriddhiman Saha, R Ashwin, S Badrinath, Joginder sharma, Sudeep Tyagi, Michael Hussey, Dwayne Bravo, Doug Bollinger, scott Styris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nuwan Kulasekara, Suraj Randiv, George Bailey and Francois Du Plessis.
Deccan Chargers: Shikhar Dhawan, Ishant sharma, Pragyan Ojha, Amit Mishra, Manpreet Gony, Kevin Pietersen, Cameron White, Kumar Sangakkara, JP Duminy, Dale Steyn, Daniel Christian, Chris Lynn, Juan Theron and Michael Lumb.
Delhi Daredevils: Virender Sehwag (retained), Irfan Pathan, Naman Ojha, Ajit Agarkar, Ashok Dinda, Umesh Yadav, Venugopal Rao, David Warner, James Hopes, Morne Morke l, Aaron Finch, Matthew Wade, Roelof van der Merve, Andrew McDonand, Travis Birt, Colin Ingram and Robert Frylinck.
Mumbai Indians: Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Kieron Pollard, Lasith Malinga (all retained), Rohit Sharma, Munaf Patel, Andrew Symonds, David Jacobs, James Franklin, Clint McKay, Moises Henriques and Aiden Bllzzard.
Rajasthan Royals: Shane Warne, Shane Watson (both retained), Rahul Dravid, Pankaj Singh, Ross Taylor, Johan Botha, Paul Collingwood and Shaun Tait.
Royal Challengers Bangalore: Virat Kohli (retained), Zaheer Khan, Saurabh Tiwary, Cheteshwar Pujara, Abhimanyu Mithun, Mohammed Kaif, T Dilshan, A B De Viliers, Daniel Vettori, Dirk Nannes, Charl Langeveldt, Luke Pomersbach, Johan van der Wath, Rile Rossouw, Nuwan Pradeep and Jonathan Vandlar.
Kochi Tuskers: V V S Laxman, S Sreesanth, R P Singh, Parthiv Patel, Ravindra Jadeja, Ramesh Powar, R Vinay Kumar, Mahela Jayawardene, Brendon McCullum, Steven Smith, M Muralidharan, Brad Hodge, Tisara Perera, Stephen O’Keefe, Owais Shah, Michael Klinger and John Hastings.
Pune Warriors: Yuvraj Singh, Robin Uthappa, Ashish Nehra, Murali Kartik, Graeme Smith, Tim Paine, Agelo Mathews, Nathan McCullum, Callum Ferguson, Wayne Parnell, Mitchell Marsh, Jerome Taylor, Alfonson Thomas and Jesse Ryder.
King XI Punjab: Dinesh Karthik, Abhishek Nayar, Praveen Kumar, Piyush Chawla, Adam Gilchrist, Shaun Marsh, David Hussey, Stuart Broad, Ryan Harris, Dimitri Mascarenhas and Nathan Rimmington.
Kolkara Knight Riders: Gautam Gambhir, Yusuf Pathan, Manoj Tiwari, L Balaji, Jaidev Unadkat, Jacques Kallis, Brad Haddin, Shakib Al Hasasn, Brett Lee, Eoin Morgan, Ryan ten Doeschate and James Pattinson
So who are you rooting for? What do you think of it so far?
I'm supporting the Royal Challengers Bangalore for two reasons, I live in Bangalore and they have my favourite player Virat Kohli.

I support the Deccan Chargers, because they have my favorite player Daniel Christian, as the team he plays for in the Australian competition (West End South Australia Redbacks) is the one I support.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Going for Chennai Super Kings, only because that's where my dad works when he's in India. Yeah, a kid from England watches IPL, ITV4 my friend, every single day. I also like Suresh Raina quite a lot too. I reckon the Mumbai Indians will run away at the top of the league with slingshoting Lasith Malinga leading the bowling arsenal, he's also way ahead as the leading wicket taker of IPL 2011 (purple cap, I think), but they'll crumble in the play-offs. I also admire the new system that rewards the teams for finishing 1st and 2nd in the table, meaning they get a second chance of reaching the final if they loose their first play-off match.

Oh, and my Dad's going to the game this Sunday between the Chennai Super Kings and the Deccan Chargers.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I can see the Mumbai Indians doing pretty fucking well, though if the Lankans have to go for the national matches then I think most teams currently topping the league will drop down considerably.

Yeah I can see the Mumbai Indians doing pretty fucking well, though if the Lankans have to go for the national matches then I think most teams currently topping the league will drop down considerably.
That won't effect Mumbai though who only have Malinga from SL (although the SL board may force him to go home for surgery). I have a feeling Kolkata will win though.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I was wondering what the IPL was. Apparently, it appears to me (and I am probably blinded by pure ignorance) to be an Indian league with not a single native team name nor a way to translate the league's homepage into something other than english. Who can help it, 'Super Kings' just sounds that much cooler than it would in hindi I'm sure.

Over one billion and incapable of imposing their own languages within their own borders, latching to english, language of the educated and of the elite, relegating their own languages to that of the uneducated masses. It's sad.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
The reason the IPL hasn't used a Hindi name, is due to the fact that this is an International League. This has players from every cricketing nation. This means that a Hindi based league would not be appealing to the world

Plus the guy who created it was pretty much an attention whore so he wouldn't want to loose out.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Vineon, which sounds (relatively)more appealing - King's 11 Punjab or "Punjab ka Maharaja ke gyara"?

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Vineon said:
Over one billion and incapable of imposing their own languages within their own borders, latching to english, language of the educated and of the elite, relegating their own languages to that of the uneducated masses. It's sad.
i think this has very little do with it, quite a lot of the 'cricketing nations' speak english as their first language: england, australia, new zealand, south afria and west indies. also, as badal said, this is meant to be a league with all sorts of players in it, not just for india.

ps chris gayle o___

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The league is a national one from what I gather, in the sense that all the teams are Indians. It isn't an international league and even if it was, it wouldn't make it right in my book. This is not something that every league does. In football, if we take Spain's elite premier league, 'La Liga' as an example, teams use spanish names regardless of the fact that the team doesn't only consist of spanish players.

The team's name I very much doubt has much of an impact when it comes to attracting players from all countries. They will go wherever they get paid to play whether the team is called 'Super King' or something they struggle to even spell right. It is also probably possible to use hindi names that would appeal just as well to the rest of the world.

There is no excuse whatsoever for the website to be english only. As an Indian fan, I would frankly be quite insulted.

Vineon, which sounds (relatively)more appealing - King's 11 Punjab or "Punjab ka Maharaja ke gyara"?
Definitely the Punjab ka Maharaja ke gyarados

This said, the problem seems to be that this country still acts like a large colony with a quite a huge inferiority complex. You've internalised that english is more appealing than your own language. That is what is quite sad.

Anyway, I apologize for invading this thread with nonsense, I'll leave it alone.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Nah, activity is always welcome here :P even if its controversial. I think the reason Hindi names arent attractive has mostly to do with the fact that Hindi names are very much related to their meaning. Gyara means 11, raja is kings. Now Kings Eleven Punjab sounds good. But The hindi version doesn't because Hindi is more to do with the meaning than its sound.
If that made sense.

Secondly it is more of an international league, hosted by Indians. It's effectively a Barclays Premier League, but with more international players than the Premier League would have. IPL was aimed to be an international cricketing league. The only thing Indian about it is its host and 'the local player' that are encouraged to be substitutes in teams .__.

Also Chris gayle got duck out yesterday against Kings XI. Karma's a bitch.

Ahaha IPL has a separate thread and it actually got comments? Who would have thought ;P

In any case IPL sucked this year (despite some good individual performers). Why in the world would you host something like this after the WC. I wasn't even remotely interested this time around (despite MI doing pretty well).

Gayle's been a beast this time around though. Gotta love it.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
imo IPL just won't be the same after Miley Cyrus turned 18. Allisyn Ashley Arm anyone?

ps. i tried to do iCarly girl and Raven from It's So Raven but they are all over 18 and i had to do some SERIOUS digging to find this disney child star but i was just THAT dedicated to this bit. pps i hope no one looks through my google search logs now.

Guys i think, there is confusion on what exactly is ipl, Its Indian premier league for T20 cricket in India. IPL 2011 is reaching towards its playoff now.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
In a game where Bangalore got compeltely outclassed by Chennai, Chennai Super Kings won the IPL for the second time in a row.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)