Project Iron Chef: Overused | Episode 11 (Coming 2019!)

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
...Time's Up!

That concludes the challenging phase! Huge thanks to all the Iron Chefs for taking time out of their schedules to fit some battles in, and also to the participants for putting their battle skills to the test against them!

Up next is the Voting phase! Below, you'll find each contestant's team alongside the importable + description. Your task is to vote for the one or two teams that you think best fits these three categories, as found in the OP:

CREATIVITY: Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS: And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

Remember that now, an explanation isn't necessary, but still highly encouraged. Please vote for the best team in each category. Anyone (Iron Chefs, community, and contestants) can vote; this phase will be up for 3-4 days!

Here's my team for the week:
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Kartana @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 240 Atk / 88 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed

So I know what you are thinking. Sedertz already did this. And I'm not gonna lie, he made the best "Narcissism" team there probably will be, with a TON of setup sweepers and screens to aid in the setup process.

Here's my take on it. Zygarde now has the weakness policy set, designed to lure in Ice attackers who think they can beat it with a weak HP ice when screens are gone, or those who want to try their luck with ice beam under screens. No substitute leaves it susceptible to status, but its coverage and sheer power makes it a good mon to weaken opponents.

Greninja replaces magearna with dual spikes support. Having a dual lead that can throw people off when they expect ash greninja in this meta is super important for wearing down opponents. Most the time you will be clicking spikes over t-spikes, but depending on the team it may be helpful. Often times the sedertz team needs to click DD twice to break walls, but with spikes support (and another valuable taunter), this is less necessary.

Lastly, the other difference lies in z-tailwind Kartana. This mon it doesn't get KOed absolutely cleans with hazards support. Also, in combination with screens, its really easy to get the z-tailwind off on on any physical attacker or weak/non-fire special attacker and sweep on its own. If it goes down, it also boosts your other mons, allowing for a quick revenge kill.

The Lando/Koko/Gyara are the same. They are really good at what they do and I didn't want to edit them unnecessarily.

This team lacks a special attacking sweeper, so it is weak to burn. It also gets mished by hippo/skarm/any other tanky phazer. On teams that represent the highest level of usage, however, I think it has shown to be pretty successful. Other things its weak to: tapu koko with defog, and scarf defoggers. Normally I think scarf defog is ass because it leaves you vulnerable to setup, but in this case its def worth it for opposing players.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Tornadus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

This team was basically a revamped version of a double CM team that i built. Lele + Clef is a really good core as Lele can weaken steels that would annoy Clef like Magearna and also takes advantage of basically any otherClefable check out there like Toxapex. I added Gastrodon + Torn-T to beat Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Kartana, Ash-Greninja and provide free switches into Tapu Lele. Double Z might feel a bit weird but the Z move on Torn-T was because I hated the SD Gliscor matchup and is meant to solely be used against threats like SD Gliscor, Sash Landorus-T and SD-Landorus-T. The team also did not have slots to want to use HP Ice Tornadus-T. Wish Rachi was added to beat Tapu Lele and provide Wish support since Clefable did not have it and at last Scarf Magnezone provides the team with ease vs Scizor and a secondary steel type. It also provides some speed control and gets Celesteela out of the way.

http://pokepast.es/f42fb3c3fbc75a96

I wanted to build around DD Flyinium-Z Gyarados + Another Flying type sweeper, I choose hawlucha, becuase with Gyarados running stone edge, i can lure out or eliminate zapdos for hawlucha. also with screens hawluchas main checks such as clefable,mimikyu,priority, become much less reliable while checking it, also when u factor in this gyarados usually has a great match up vs tapu koko teams, A mon that is very reliable at stopping hawlucha. with these two offensive cores ive decided to use Hyper Offense, specificly screens Hyper Offense. I added standard screens tapu koko with a cool tech in safeguard. Safeguard is really neat in that it lets set up sweepers such as hawlucha and certain mons that i am about to bring up avoid status from mons such as mew and toxapex and set up more freely. I also added sash landorus becuase i feel it is the most reliable lead rocker, getting stealth rocks up vs majority of teams. Next i needed a solid wallbreaker that can threaten most stall teams while being able to sweep also, Mawile fit perfectly here, Being one of the most threatening Megas to stall, SD Mega Mawile under screens has a amazing matchup vs a majority of stall and defensive teams. With safeguard u also avoid the status of mew, toxapex, and mega sab making most of these mons set-up bait. last but not least we have DD Coil Zygarde, a nice glue, late-game wincon. DD Coil loves the support from members such as SD Mega Mawile breaking and potentially ohking landorus when its boosted under screens, also it enjoys clefable being ohkod or weakened by hawlucha under screens.

This team is very weak to opposing hawlucha, u must ether have screens up and try to revenge kill with mawile or just try n activate your hawlucha and sweep them before they can sweep you. Kartana is also a big problem u have to revenge or beat it with hawlucha, vs rain get screens up and win with gyarados. vs loppuny lead lead lando then go Mawile on the fake out, Safeguard vs pex and vs pinsir try to set up reflect as fast as possible.

This is my first attempt at building for Iron Chef so this is going to be fun. Originally I was going to go for some random UU set-up mons, but I instead decided to go for some Overused Pokemon with set-up sweeping options that I believe are fairly underrated

Orange Justice (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost

Keep it going (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace

Enticed (Zygarde) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Block
- Thousand Arrows
- Rest
- Dragon Dance

Pinhead Larry (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Gold digger (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

flappity flap (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

When Virtual Console GSC hit this year, there was a lot of hype for stuff like Perishtrap Azumarill who stood out as one of the biggest benefittors from the old gen. But there were a lot of other pokemon who got access to cool moves that flew straight under the radar, with little to no people aware of the possibility of using it. One of those pokemon was Scizor, who thanks to GSC, got access to Curse yet again. So when GSC dropped, I started to use Curse Mega Scizor for a while in Overused, and I do have to say that it is very cool at its job, and is definitely somewhat underrated. Thanks to Curse, Mega Scizor can effectively combine the ability to be a defensive behemoth capable of walling most physical pokemon without access to Fire-type moves while also being able to sweep thanks to Bullet Punch priority and Knock Off still hitting like a truck. The lack of immediate power that Swords Dance grants sometimes hurts, but its more than made up for by the defensive boost that Scizor gets, allowing to set-up on Tyranitar and other powerful threats. Thanks to all of this, it can do work against unprepared teams. BlockGarde is another pokemon who is also pretty underrated. Thanks to Z-Block, which gives off a defense boost while also trapping the opposing pokemon, and a good defensive spread, Zygarde is capable of setting-up on some of its biggest counter such as Tapu Bulu, while also being capable of 6-0ing most stall teams. Its ability to quickly and efficiently get to plus 6 is definitely a boon, allowing for it do massive damage to most walls while also being able to sweep through more offensive builds thanks to its good bulk, and access to Dragon Dance to patch up the Attack Stat, allowing for it to be a dangerous win-condition.

Right off the bat, I notice that this team was incredibly weak to Fire and Ice type coverage, as well as Strong Special Attackers, so I decided to use a core of Gastrodon, Heatran, and Zapdos to patch-up those issues. Gastrodon is the primary check to Water-Types and Koko, Heatran provides a switch-in to Kyurem, as well as a way to get Stealth Rocks and remove Toxapex who would otherwise be annoying for Mega Scizor to deal with. Zapdos was added for the ability to utilize Defog, and wall out pokemon such as Hawlucha, who would also be a problem. Finally Kartana was added for Speed-Control, with Aerial Ace to revenge Volcarona, and for the ability to clean up, as Zygarde and Mega Scizor typically weaken most of its checks.

This team is mostly weak to Fire-Types with Ground coverage such as Charizard X and Volcarona with Hidden Power Ground, who can trivialize Heatran. However, Stealth Rocks pressure both, and Gastrodon and Zygarde can check either of them, while Kartana can revenge-kill.

Last edited:
Creativity: mudd_skip
This is the only team with a non ou Mon not counting gastrodon, so it deviates the most from the meta.
Essence/Elevation: Ske Mask The Slump God
He decided to go with the archetype that we all hate: zygarde screens. But it's the team most reliant on set up sweepers, so it easily takes this category, and in my opinion slightly better than 1_trick phony's team.
Effectiveness: mudd_skip
Really didn't intend to vote for myself twice, but the other teams fail to guard against common threats, such as most other teams losing to zygarde especially if the only countermeasure is clefable which can be chipped down or lured. Additionally, most of these teams are offense which is incredibly matchup reliant especially with the plethora of balance right now. The team I was deliberating over choosing for this spot was vso, but the entire team is basically beat by heatran except for gastro which gets toxiced or bloom doomed, which is incredibly popular right now. The wish clef + tran archetype is incredibly common, which this team does not do well vs (also it can't break stall with jirachi, which is on most stalls now anyways because of lele). But overall, most of these teams look incredibly fun.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Creativity: This one is pretty interesting, as most of these teams are pretty standard for their respective style. The pair of screens HO teams obviously aren't winning this category. The Reuniclus team is laughably standard based upon recent trends with Reun rising, so that one probably gets last for this section. This round comes down to Vso vs Stuuful for me. The use of Curse M-Sciz is the breaking point of this, so I'll vote Stuuful12 just since 3 of these teams were anything but creative and Curse Scizor is quite unique.

Essence/Elevation: The 2 screens offense teams really utilize this category to its fullest. Pretty close, but going to go with Ske Mask The Slump God simply since Hawlucha just fully requires set up as it needs terrain to be set up to even enter the battlefield effectively. Once again really close, just went with the team I'd rather use here.

Effectiveness: This one comes down to Ske Mask and mudd_skip for me. However, the meta is already changing with things like Grass Knot Gren rising to shut down the new super standard team mudd_skip submitted, so I'm gonna go with Ske Mask The Slump God as it can cheese more matchups and doesn't worry about all the techs running around for that type of team specifically.

Creativity: Most submitted teams this week are fairly standard, so there really wasn't much competition for me. Much like Gross above, I immediately eliminated the Screens Offence. The reuniclus build also seems rather standard, so this also had to be eliminated. In the end, stuuful12 won over my vote due to the inclusion of the Z Block Zygarde, which also happened to be posted in the next best thing last week. This aspect of the dish goes perfectly with Curse Mega Scizor - a favourite of mine - and really proves how unique this team is.

Essence/Elevation: It's safe to say that the 2 Screens HO builds capitalise on this week's core ingredient the most. However, I believe that Ske Mask The Slump God capitalises on this week's core ingredient the most.

Effectiveness: Both Ske Mask and Mudd_Skip's teams seem incredibly effective. However, the rise of mons such as HP Fire Latios and interesting lure sets such as Energy Ball Magearna and Grass Knot Greninja starting to rise, it's harder for this team to sustain itself. Ultimately, the cheese of Ske Mask The Slump God's screens is just too hard to ignore.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Creativity: None. I wanna say Stuuful for the reasons above but I don't think curse is very good so I'm gonna go with none. Expected cooler stuff.

Essence/Elevation: Ske Mask. Already stole safeguard, thats so smart. Safeguard + my weakness policy under screens is gonna rock some people

Effectiveness: Ske Mask. Its slightly better than mine, although I think a combination of the two teams would be best (and I'm working on that as we speak lol)

(i had a callout here so it might sound a tad weird)

alright so i'll try to display the problems with each of the teams. My team is obviously not amazing and was built a month and a half ago. It therefore has immense issues against Zygarde and more popular Gastrodon lures like Bloom Doom Heatran. however, the team was built to use a fairly solid core(unbiased tbh) in CM Lele + CM Clefable. This core breaks stall because Clefable gets Stealth Rock up and has an amazing MU vs fatter teams. It was also built when CM Lele was actually a lure set and stall was far less prepared for it( but now I have SR vs stall with CM Rocks Clefable). The team also was weak to sets that are far more popular like SD Gliscor so I ran a double Z core to help beat it. Policy Zygarde is honestly the only real struggle and i could fix it with 3 attacks Mega Latias > Magnezone and Rocky Helmet on Tornadus-T which would also perfect the Heatran matchup.

anyway enough about my team, the obvious Creativity vote goes to stuuful12 due to its zygarde and most of the teams are uncreative outside of shitty unsets like Safeguard Koko which misses out on turn.

on essence its a lot harder as Ske Mask The Slump God has a team which wishes Gyarados was Waterium, and I would have to go with 1 trick phony's one as it uses its sweepers well enough to break holes

I'll do effectiveness later

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
...Time's Up!

Community voting is now over; thanks to everyone who contributed! The esteemed Panel of Judges are finishing their critique of each contestant's dish to determine the Most Original, Most Essential, and Best-Tasting Dishes, alongside the Overall winner for this Episode.

Stay tuned in the next couple of days, when all the scores will be added up and the results will be announced!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!

The final scores have been calculated and one Chef has stood out from the rest. This Chef was able to build around its dark horse effectively, creating a solid offensive and defensive backbone. Without further ado, I'm proud to announce the sixth ever winner of Iron Chef | Overused as...

Chef Ske Mask The Slump God!
Although this round only saw 5 participants, the teams were still pretty versatile, ranging from BO to HO. The Panel of Judges and community alike thought that chef Ske Mask The Slump God utilized the narcissistic ingredient the best, supporting its powerful sweepers through dual screens. Chef Ske Mask The Slump God was able to capture his first title with a sizable cumulative weighted score of 70%.His dish will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly!

The votes for community voting were also counted, and the winner of each dish is presented below:

Most Original Dish: stuuful12
Most Essential Dish: Ske Mask The Slump God
Best-Tasting Dish: Ske Mask The Slump God

Thanks to everyone who participated and made the sixth Episode a great success! The seventh secret ingredient will be revealed momentarily...

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
Please make sure you read the rules above in their entirety. Failure to comply with and/or follow the rules can disqualify you from participating for that episode. I will enforce this very strictly!

You do not have to post "in" to participate!

And now, for the seventh Secret Ingredient of the show...

Fallen Angel

SM brought drastic changes to the metagame with the introduction of Tapus, Z Moves, among other reasons. Pokemon that were once extremely popular during ORAS, such as Latios, Keldeo, and Talonflame, simply aren't as dominant in SM due to all the new changes. For this round, participants are required to build a team around a Pokemon's ORAS set as long as it is different than its main SM set. Below are some examples:

Building around Talonflame or Thundurus is valid because they were ranked A in ORAS but are C in SM.
Building around LO Latios is valid because it was Latios's best set in ORAS, but not in SM.
Building around CM Clefable is not valid, because it is just as popular in SM as it was in ORAS.

The teambuilding part of this Episode will go on until Sunday, June 3 @ 11:59 PM EST GMT EST. Participants must PM the team to me, the Chairman, otherwise they will not be accepted. The team must also include a description up to standard with the rules or else it will not be accepted. Do not post your team in the thread! If you have a question regarding what is eligible for this round, PM the Chairman or the esteemed forum moderator that happened to write this last sentence (Hint: He's a forum mod).

After the teambuilding phase, participants with approved teams will be mentioned in the thread and will be able to challenge the Iron Chefs.

Allez, cuisine!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's up!

That wraps up the team building phase of this round. I am still accepting submissions for the next couple of days if you wish to participate. The contestants with their teams approved are shown below:

mudd_skip
Anish
hmsa2012
wisdom dog

It is with great sadness that Iron Chef Snou has stepped down from his position for the time being due to other commitments. We're very grateful for his time and success on Iron Chef | Overused, wish him the best luck, and hope to see him again in the future. :toast:

Please keep in mind that most Iron Chefs have busy schedules and have willingly volunteered to help out by participating, so try your hardest to schedule around their availability. For reference, I have listed each of their time zones in the OP. You can only challenge each Iron Chef once per episode, and you don't have to challenge all of them if you don't feel the need to.

The easiest way to schedule is usually by contacting them on Discord!

The deadline for the challenging phase will be approximately Sunday, June 10 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Remember that every game, whether it's a win or loss, increases your overall score. Good luck to all!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
Sorry for the big delay, was trying to give participants as much time as possible to play against Iron Chefs. 1_TrickPhony and mudd_skip were not able to play, so they'll receive a zero in the battling category for this round.

Up next is the Voting phase! Below, you'll find each contestant's team alongside the importable + description. Your task is to vote for the one or two teams that you think best fits these three categories, as found in the OP:

CREATIVITY: Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS: And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

Remember that now, an explanation isn't necessary, but still highly encouraged. Please vote for the best team in each category. Anyone (Iron Chefs, community, and contestants) can vote; this phase will be up for 3-4 days!

https://pokepast.es/25b84244e4cb9dc9

The Fallen Angel I decided to build with was choice specs keldeo. Scald and secret sword is great dual stab, will explain the other two moves later. Sd defensive scizor has been proving itself lately as a great blanket check to many physical attackers while also gaining great setup and incredible priority in bp, capable of dismantling many offense teams while still providing a bulky pivot to get in keldeo. Stealth rock clef is self-explanatory, with wish to heal up heatran after switches into lele, keldeo after switches into heatran, etc. Offensive taunt heatran poses a massive threat to bulky and stall builds, beating "counters" like pex and chansey 1v1, with nature power as its last move for energy ball in grassy terrain, provided by bulu, to nab gastrodon (helping keldeo spam scald). I originially had av bulu in this slot, however choice band provides incredible breaking power, even being able to break apart its counters like killing max hp torn after rocks, as well as ohkoing pex, which helps out keldeo immensely. It still has the bulk with the given investment to check attackers such as koko and ashgren, and heal up with terrain and horn leech. Scarf lando rounds out the team with a ground, flying, and defog user. Now for the resttalk on keldeo: looking at the team, I noticed that my only solid heatran answer was keldeo, so I got this idea from UB a while ago for resttalk to keep up health to keep switching into heatran. Plus, when you send keld in on a heatran, they wont stay in after, and will switch out to a keldeo answer, where you can rest up, and you would have to switch out anyways. This team has put in a lot of work:]

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 204 SpA / 128 SpD / 176 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Hey man, I'm back at it again, but this time with a team centered around Thundurus-T. I decided to make it scarf to give it the surprise element as it can outspeed mons that usually setup with +1 speed (Zygarde, Mega Gyarados off the top of my head). The moveset allows it to maneuver itself from problematic mon. Hidden Power Ice can deal with Zygarde, Landorus, Gliscor. Sludge Wave hits all the Tapus, noticeably Bulu. Thunderbolt is a power STAB move in itself, and U-turn to pivot into teammates for better matchups and gain momentum. Heatran and Magnezone are used to trap respective fat mons that the team might want either dead or worn down for their teammates to clean. Landorus is Defog to remove hazards that can wear out the heavy hitters, and it has Toxic specifically for Hawlucha, as the team is really weak to it. Ash-Greninja is here to pick off faster, weakened mons, and Kyurem can be used with momentum to nuke a mon. Overall, it was a bit difficult to build around Thundurus-T, but had fun building a team that is unconventional in this metagame.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Roost

Greninja (M) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Spikes

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 96 HP / 20 Atk / 136 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Punishment
- Defog

Nidoking is always a cool mon, since its pretty darn hard to switch in to, so I wanted to try using Nido for a team, since it takes advantage of many common Pokemon such as fat Grasses/ Clefable etc, and also has a nice speed tier for Zygarde and stuff. So right off the get-go, I knew I needed to pair it with pivots, so that I could get it in for free. I decided to work on the backbone first, since I felt pairing Nido with a good backbone and pivots would work the best. Tangrowth has great synergy in general with Nidoking, since it deals with Pokemon such as Ash Gren and Scarf Lando T which Nidoking lets in for free, helps with stuff like Gliscor too here, and Zygarde ofc. Scarf Lando is also great with nice utility overall just in general, and I choose to run Punishment since I think Reuniculus and M Latias are very annoying and team does good vs Zygarde imo. Scarf Magnezone also works great with Nido since it helps it with Celesteela/Ferrothorn/Scizor since I dont have to run Flamethrower, and also does flying resist stuffs, helps Latios too, just good utility and trapping Kartana. M Lati was picked since it fits well and also since Tran was just a bitch to deal with, seriously, every other Tran check had some flaw or lost to some set and the teams kinda Tran weak (other resist being gren lol). Draco was chosen to help with Medi, opposing Lati@s, etc, since I have Tang for Gliscor, Mag for Steels and Defog too. Nidoking is the standard set pretty much, not running Flamethrower since Magnezone exists, and yeah, rocks is cool since you can kill quite a few removers with this set, not ideal but Nido makes do. Greninja was chosen since it can help me lure in Pokemon like Chansey and Gastrodon if I bluff well enough, plus Spikes just help Nido break Gastrodon too and it can uturn around stall and smtimes annoy it. Gunk isnt necessary since Nido eats Clefable and the team destroys grasses p much. Basically, team was Nido + pivots.

overall, i think teams solidish, but kinda reliant on nido for breaking. however, i can get spikes up so i can 2hko gastrodon and gren can also z kick at right moment.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Magnezone @ Steelium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 52 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Ice Beam

This team features two of ORAS's hidden gems (I don't wanna call them fallen angels because they are still good when unprepared for.)

This team is built around Mega Diancie. Its role is to control hazards and apply immense pressure with its potent STABs. I have earth power > HP fire since I have a zone support, to deal with tran.

Magnezone is our Steel-Z trapper, as our team mightly struggles against breaking steel mons without it. Due to the lack of turners, it requires a lot of double switches, but the lack of turners also makes opponents less aware when dealing with zone, as they will be more likely to misplay things like scizor on the double switch.

Toxapex provides an all important physical pivot, and laying t-spikes to gradually weaken our opponents to allow diancie and latios to do their thing.

Tapu Bulu might be the MVP, as it provides diancie and pex a way to not get cleaned by things like scarf lando. Zone is basically dead anyway if hit by EQ. Bulu also provides healing and a SpD wall.

Kartana is the scarfer of the team and emergency defogger if M-diancie can't hold off hazards. Its also our only real physical attacker, sans bulu (kinda). Knock is used to improve MU vs assault vesters and evioliters. It also abuses grassy terrain, allowing it to SMACK anything that doesn't resist it. Once the scizors and celes of this world are down, this thing can spam leaf blade happily.

Latios is the last of the ORAS gems. Levitate is pretty sick, and ice beam w/ life orb whacks any mon that takes super effective damage. Psyshock, roost, and Draco meteor are pretty standard.

This team struggles against specially defensive walls like chansey and magearna. If I see a chansey its usually a sad time. It also struggles once tapu bulu dies, because it provides so much support to the team. Otherwise it does pretty well. I'm super happy about the synergy, the team supports each other quite exceptionally.

https://pokepast.es/293e0cd29de13e13

Built around the standard ORAS specs keldeo set. Actually pretty good in the current meta, only mons that can switch in are ones that resist dual stabs such as bulu, mega venu, fini, pex, and lati@s, although bulu and the lati twins don't appreciate icy wind. Can OHKO koko with scald, and other big mons such as lando, gren, ferrothorn, kartana, heatran, and zygarde are all OHKO'd with the respective coverage. AV magearna and clefable are 2HKOs. Also one of the best ash gren switch ins, which is cool.

Heatran deals with most mons that are a problem for keldeo. It lures and 1v1s fini, pex, eq-less mega venu, and outright kills tangrowth and bulu. Bloom doom is good for rising threats, such as gastro and hippo.

Ferrothorn is pretty standard. Has good defensive synergy with keldeo and heatran, sets up spikes to wear the team down for late game keldeo, koko and latias.

Koko set is also standard, but very helpful. Pivoting is key for keldeo to get it in safely and drop a big hit. Went with the roost shuca set for longevity and the possibility of luring lando.

Landorus adds a necessary electric immunity, and a second ground immunity. I use adamant for a good chance to outspeed and OHKO greninja, as well as just more damage in general on other mons. Adamant is also pretty good for scouting out other scarf landorus.

Finally, Mega Lati. Has awesome synergy with keldeo as it can switch in to nearly all mons that threaten keld, and set up on all of them barring other lati@s and most fini. I use t-bolt for coverage to hit stored power immunities, such as greninja and weavile, the hardest, as well as hitting celesteela.

CREATIVITY: mudd_skip
Specs RestTalk Keldeo is something no one in their right mind would use. NP Heatran is also cool. Actually being useful gains bonus points from me.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: 1_TrickPhony
Mega-Diancie is the best fit for his team, while the other Fallen Angels could be replaced by something else and have better results

EFFECTIVENESS: 1_TrickPhony
It was between mudd_skip and 1_TrickPhony for me. In the end I chose 1_TrickPhony, due to the formers team being weak to WP Zygarde

Creativity: Mudd_skip, Anish
Resttalk keld is pretty cool but so is building around UR Nidoking which pretty cool too. Pretty cool overall
Essence / Elevation: 1_TrickPhony
2 fallen angels is cool and yeah its cool
Effectiveness: Anish, 1_TrickPhony
Haven't tested any of the teams so this is at a guess (wow so cool) but I like the look of both these teams, Anish's seems a little bit more cool to me but phony's is also cool so their both cool and get my cool vote

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Creativity: anish
Nido is pretty sick and tho the mlati surge sucks for it it’s still extremely annoying to swtich into. Low kick gren is a nice addition too and seems to work well with the rest of the team

Essence: 1_TrickPhony
Double fallen angels=double fun, both seem to synergize well with mag and the team looks cool

Effectiveness: wisdom god

Creativity: Mudd_skip & Anish
Resttalk Keld is legit decent since its a pretty reliable tran check on an otherwise tran weak team so def like that. Nidoking is always cool to see even if its usually scary at preview then it ends up being in game
Essence / Elevation: 1_TrickPhony
Diancie really is the centerpiece of the team so this gets my vote. Not as thrilled w the lati set because i think any lati walled by tran is very hard to justify in this meta
Effectiveness: Anish
Zone is an effective trapper to help both lati and king. plus king is able to remove tspikes for mons that hate them like tang and gren. has a cool wincon vs stall if you are able to pop chansey for nidoking although you have to get the turns right since they can also go sab on prot gren pretty freely. overall cool and unique fun team that covers a lot

edit: i would consider beam over draco on tios mainly for these bulky sd bulus which have been popping up that can be very problematic for your team to switch into otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)