Project Iron Chef: Overused | Episode 11 (Coming 2019!)

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Been super busy this week but I've tried to drop in now and again and yeah, I haven't seen any of the chefs either. Will be on later tonight though so if any of the chefs are on pls hmu (or just lmk in this thread)

Note: smogtours keeps dcing me for some reason so I'll be on main
ive been lurking around during the week and i never saw any of the other chefs online (except london but he was busy), been looking for them on main and smogtours, if anyone knows where can i find them hmu!
https://discordapp.com

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
As others before me mentioned, please keep in mind that the Iron Chefs usually have busy schedules and volunteered to contribute some of their spare time to this thread! Discord is usually the best way to contact them if they’re not on stours, but you can also try a PM.

I’ll probably be updating this tomorrow (roughly 24 hours) mainly to allow those who haven’t played or have only played 1 match to schedule games. If you’ve played 3/4 games already then no need to try and cram games in, and if you want the deadline to be extended longer then just lmk! This is still flexible so thanks to everyone for their input/discussions

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
...Time's Up!

There's only been one challenge in the last two days, so I'm going to conclude the second Challenging phase now. Huge thanks to all the Iron Chefs for taking time out of their schedules to fit some battles in, and also to the participants for putting their battle skills to the test against them!

Up next is the Voting phase! Below, you'll find each contestant's team alongside the importable + description. Your task is to vote for the two teams that you think best fits these three categories, as found in the OP:

CREATIVITY: Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS: And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

Please vote for the best team in each category and include a short description (1-2 good sentences) on why you think the team deserves that award. Anyone (Iron Chefs, community, and contestants) can vote; this phase will be up for 3-4 days!

Hoopa-Unbound @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 64 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Roost
- Defog
- Flamethrower

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 56 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Rock Tomb

This is a team I built around 2 weeks ago and so far I've had a lot of fun with it, Hoopa-U, especially Nasty Plot Hoopa-U, is a very potent Pokemon that can do a lot of stuff at the same time, it's a cool balance and bulky offense breaker and a reliable wallbreaker, if that's what you want it to do. Kartana capitalizes on Hoopa-U's ability to break walls very well as it can clean up very well after walls have been weakened. If Kartana is affected by Grassy Terrain from Tapu Bulu it itself can also wallbreak by spamming Leaf Blade. After that I decided to add Landorus-T because it has excellent role compression, it can set up Stealth Rock, get in Hoopa-U with U-turn, and Knock Off items from Pokemon like Tapu Bulu. I chose to not go with Hidden Power Ice as Mega Altaria can check all targets off it. Mega Altaria is a very good Pokemon imo as it can check a lot of current popular Pokemon in the metagame, like Tapu Bulu and Hawlucha. It's also useful for luring in Kartana with Flamethrower. Heatran fit very well because it can check a number of Pokemon, like Tapu Lele and Magearna, both of which were very annoying and hard to deal with for my team thus far. Lastly, I chose Tapu Bulu because of its ability to blanket check a lot of special attackers and gives Heatran extra recovery and lets Kartana spam Leaf Blade easier. I decided to go with Rock Tomb because I don't like Stone Edge's accuracy and this way it can lure in and defeat Volcarona.

Issues:
  • Opposing Kartana, both Choice Scarf and Swords Dance can be very annoying, but it can be lured in with Mega Altaria.
  • Mega Venusar is bad can be annoying to deal with as it walls a great portion of my mons, my only way of dealing with it is through Hoopa-U, which can get worn down rather fast.
  • Celesteela is also hard to deal with because I need to either get Hoopa-U to +2 to KO it with All-Out Pummeling or I need to get Heatran in and pray it's not Earthquake.
  • I don't have anything that can wall Choice Specs Blacephalon and I'm very prediction reliant to beat it.
  • Volcarona is very annoying as not many of my Pokemon can effectively deal with it, especially with Hidden Power Ground, but I can lure it in with Rock Tomb from Tapu Bulu.

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Surf
- Defog

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Psychic Surge
Happiness: 0
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

When I first saw this episode, the first thing that came to mind was Landorus-t + Heatran + Bulu + Kartana. This gives me 6 immunities in just 4 pokemon and it is very effective to use these 4 mons because they offer a lot both offensively and defensively. However, I thought this was a bit too standard and boring so I didn't choose to go this route.

Instead, I chose to build around OTR Stakataka basically just because I've been meaning to build around it for a while now and it has an immunity to poison. The first big dilemma was whether I wanted Earthquake or Superpower as the last move. I chose Superpower because it can take out pokemon such as Kartana and a weakened Ferrothorn. Also Earthquake does the same damage as Gyro Ball vs many potential targets, only really missing out on mons like Toxapex which I can catch with a Z-Stone Edge. The spread is to get an attack boost instead of a defense boost. I wanted Helmet Lando to chip pokemon with the helmet and also to bring opposing lando into gyro ball range with hp ice. It has enough speed for offensive Magearna and it should outspeed most opposing defensive landorus. Next I chose Scarf Latios to defog. I originally wanted this to be hp fire to catch mega scizors, but I ended up with surf because the team seemed Heatran weak. After this was Tangrowth to knock Celesteela's leftovers and to catch mega scizor/ferrothorn with hp fire. With these 4 mons I basically have my defensive core down so I have some freedom with my next 2 mons. I also have 4 immunities so far. The next pokemon was tapu lele with taunt so that I have a chance vs more defensive teams, and it also benefits from an item-less celesteela. Lastly I have Hawlucha to round out my immunity core with an immunity to ground attacks, and it is holding the psychic seed to take advantage of Tapu Lele's terrain. It also provides some nice speed control and is another win condition.[/hide]

Hey I got a new team for you this time, hope you like it and I really like the idea you chose this time.

Araquanid @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Magic Coat
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Explosion

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Blacephalon @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Roost

So some weakness that this team has.

Its a Webs HO team, which has its natural weaknesses to trick room, defoggers that are hard to scout with Bisharp (Koko in particular, Gliscor, Scarf Kartana), and Hawlucha. I'm actually trying to look for answers to KokoLucha cores right now so I might edit this in a little bit.

So the inspiration I had for this team was seeing that Landorus that you posted as an example of something with two immunities! I was thinking of other OU pokemon with two immunities, and saw Bisharp, and figured that a good team that combines those two pokemon was a Webs HO.

Araquanid is the standard setter and the only one IMO that is worthy of using on a team at all.
Bisharp is the defog punisher, destroying lati@s that switch as emergency defoggers, along with lando-T/other intimidating mons. (+2 immunities)
Lando-T is my speed control, firing off strong quick EQs against kokos (especially non-choice specs ones that think they can HP Ice you for free). (+2 immunities)
Tapu Lele was a critical choice for me. While webs sometimes needs priority (sucker punch/fake out as examples), it is also weak to priority, particularly ash greninja if its in ash form. Specs also wallbreaks super well, and is hard for mons to outspeed in when hit with webs, making it a good partner with certain tradeoffs. (+1 immunity)
Blacephalon is my spinblocker, as well as a stallbreaker. Ghostium helps break Toxapex with calm mind, and can easily sweep with webs support. (+1 immunity)
Latios-M helps Blacephalon by also luring T-tar, can beat some Koko variants, Hawlucha if it hasn't had the opportunity to setup. Psychic is even more spammable under psychic terrain.

I'm still looking to change up the team, and will edit if I find any changes!

(Team slightly edited from the last post, click team for an import paste)
I knew I wanted to build around M.Latias, as CM Stored power has good MU as a sweeper Vs all play styles, giving me flexibility with my other mons. Heatran pairs really solidly with M.Latias, often forcing in both Greninja and Tyranitar, the two most common Dark types in Ou, and annoying mons for M.Latias to deal with. I went with the Z-Earth Power set to trap Pex, Ohko Greninja and severly weakening Tyranitar when they try and switch in. I then went with Greninja for a secondary wincon along side M.Latias, revenge killer and for the pressure Spikes provide. Greninja also immensely appreciates Trans ability to trap Pex, pressure bulky Grass types and M.Latias's ability to brute force past special walls. Greninja is also nice to pressure Ghost types, which otherwise are a big threat to M.Latias and the team. Steel types have amazing type synergy with M.Latias, so are pretty much required on USM Ou teams, so I went with Jirachi due to its ability to set up Rocks and pick up momentum, but also with Healing Wish, it allows M.Latias to be played as part of the defensive core early on without worrying about status, giving more flexibility with the team. Tapu Bulu pairs nicely with Jirachi, removing its Earthquake weakness, but also improving its passive recovery. Heatran also appreciates the support from terrain support from Bulu, giving it some recovery, albeit no where near Leftovers. Lastly, LandoT fills in a lot of roles the team is missing into one set, being a revenge killer along side Greninja, Defoger, and somewhat a bulky pivot due to the defence investment. With the team being somewhat hazard resistant, LandoT isnt as pressured to defog, allowing it to perform its other roles perfectly well.

Greninja: Psychic
Heatran: Poison, Fire
LandoT: Electric, Ground
M.Latias: Ground
Jirachi: Poison
Tapu Bulu: Dragon

http://pokepast.es/2b69a02f76ac7e18
tornt: ground
gengar: normal and fighting
landot: electric and ground
heatran: fire and poison
tapu fini: dragon
  • What comes to your mind when the secret ingredient is revealed? well this weeks ingredient is a base point of teambuilding, i would have liked it to be something that incentivated more creativity or innovation tbh, something that maybe nerfed in a way the most used mons like toxapex, kartana, magearna, landot, just imagine how many options are open once those mons are gone, it would be a much harder challenge and there would be more interesting teams and ideas
  • What is your thought process upon building your team? i try to abuse of the game mechanics and focus on what can win a mu, i dont build teams based on cores in sm bc i think the metagame doesnt work around cores
  • Were there any prevalent issues upon building your team? i didnt have any really, there were a few of the most usefull mons in the tier that gave me double immunities so i abused that
i dont see major weaknesses in the team tbh
gengar and tran are my surprise factor that do great vs balance teams but since they are a bit slow ill have to bank on my defensive mons to take on ho
the team struggles vs stall but id trade it everyday for a more interesting building that doesnt use the same 6 mons everytime and yeah, i think its gonna be fun

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Defog
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 140 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect

so basically the point of this team is to wear down a bunch until you can get zygarde a free sub on something that it can set up on until it sweeps through the game. Zygarde heatran and zapdos help clear out pex and celes and other steel types so that if zygarde doesn't sweep clef can. Landorus is nice rocks and a good pivot, tran traps things like I just said. Sableye obviously blocks the hazards and takes off items as well as burning things which cripples them and it wears things down which is what this team aims to do. Clef is nice to help zygarde sweep with twave and it can sweep on it's own sometimes. Zapdos completely harasses other fat teams as well as is a pretty nice check to defensive lando's and bulky waters like I said before. And then obviously zygarde does what I said before.
ok so the biggest weakness ive found with the team is definitely offensive water types like keldeo or ash gren because they basically just run through the team, koko can also be frustrating but it's easier to play around then the water types; other than that it's a pretty solid team.
Week 2 Iron Chef:

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 128 HP / 188 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Kartana @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Defog

Uh honestly ever since Finch posted SpecsTran in his post-Snake post I've been meaning to use it, and when I saw this up I figured this would be a good shot since SpecsTran has two immunes on its own (Fire / Poison) and it gels well with a lot of other mons with immunes (CBTar was the recommended partner, plus I figured stuff like Koko LandoT Lati would have good synergy).

Anyways, yeah, not too much to this, Koko is Shuca to improve the LandoT / Zyg matchup, Ferrothorn provides Spikes which are really nice to pressure Toxapex a little more (so it can't just freely regen off the EPower damage), LandoT and Tar are straightforward, Kart actually forms a cool little darkspam core with Tar and Darkinium is very unexpected (most people assume Tran has the Z Move and Kart is Scarf, and though that'd probably be better the element of surprise that this gets is not to be dismissed.

Weaknesses - this team lacks a revenge killer which kinda sucks vs certain faster mons. Zygarde can be really annoying if it gets boosts uncontested, I have to dance around opposing Kartana / Lele a little (if they're scarf its doable but the Z-Move sets can be a pain). Oh also HP Fire Greninja 6-0s this :joy:

Last edited:
gonna bump this thread by voting C:

CREATIVITY: 1 True Lycan
I love seeing Stakatakatakatakataka again, especially outside of a dedicated Tr team. I feel it works really well on the team, weakening a lot of checks for hawlucha and vis versa

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: Jordy
I feel a lot of the type synergy with the team is well thought out and implemented into a solid defensive core, while a lot of the other teams seemed to be a check list with there type immunities. You will be missed Jordy D:

EFFECTIVENESS: Azogue
I love both the look and style of his team, and will probably steal it for my teambuilder cuz it looks incredibly fun to use. It seems very well thought out too, with gengar absorbing tspikes for fini, where it would usually be severely/pressured hurt by them, and a lot of other role compaction all seem to be fitting well. Toxapex does seem a pain to deal with however

Last edited:
I usually just lurk, but my buddy IP wanted me to participate here so:

Creativity: 1_TrickPhony
HO has really died down after it picked up hype a few months ago. You very occasionally see it being used in major tours (ABR used Veil recently), and seeing a Webs team that gives Pokemon such as Bisharp/Blacephalon to do better than usual is creative and refreshing.

Essence/Elevation: paoisd
I was in between Jordy and paoisd here, even though both builds have glaring weaknesses to two huge metagame threats (Hawlucha and Ash-Greninja, respectively). I ended up picking
paoisd’s team because it takes advantage of the secret ingredient (immunities) better to form a balance/semistall looking team and wear down opposing teams.

Effectiveness: azogue
This build reminds me a lot of a Torn-T balance build that ABR used recently, and each Pokemon contributes something different to the team that makes it effective to pivot around and use without any glaring weaknesses.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Creativity: Jordy
Defog Mega Altaria is quite underrated and plot Hoopa is one of the best stall/balance breaker ever seen. It's not a common achetype so I think it clearly desevers the edge in terms of Creativity.

Essence/Elevation: azogue
The team respected what it was supposed to respect in terms of building despite not being limited in terms of sinergy. Immunities, in the team, offers a solid offensive and defensive sinergy.

Although 1 true lycan's team looked hella fire in terms of effectiveness, I think azogue's one is clearly the most reliable around here.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Creativity: 1_True_Lycan
Even though the Stakataka hype died a while ago I still think it's a decent stand alone mon that be quite threatening when apired with the right mons. I think this build accomplishes that pretty well and it's nice to see the wall getting some love

Essence: Lord Ninjax
I feel like this team's pivots provide a variety of key resistances and immunities that allow this team to function naturally and pivot in and out when needed, not much to say just really like how this fits and benefits from the purpose of this round

Yea this team seems good, I'm a big fan of Defog Torn rn and it seems to form a threatening offensive core with Specs Gar

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I got permission from Indigo Plateau to not do reasoning. Just wanna say that Palosid is the only person who seems to have actually taken the week’s concept into account instead of tacking it onto a random squad in that he’s the onlyndude who actually built a defensive squad that centres around using and abusing a wide range of immunities.

Creativity: 1_true_lycan

Essence: paosid

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Creativity: Jordy
I love the addition of Mega Altaria on this team, it seems like a fun yet effective choice to glue together a nice balance squad.

Essence: paoisd
Paoisd's team had the best adherence to the theme in my view, using immunities as a key factor in its gameplay plan.

Azogue's team seems the most well constructed, and their performance in the battles versus the chefs reflects this.

Creativity: 1_true_lycan
Stakataka is always a nice mon to have, and the team that 1_true_lycan build shows that he wanted to build around Stakataka rather than inserting it for creativity points
Essence: Paosid
Paoisd's team was built to have as many immunites as possible to achieve a certain goal rather than using pokemons that just so happen to have immunities
Azogue is getting all the points in this category and for good reason. His team is well constructed shown by his battles with the chefs, and doesn't have many apparent weakness's which demonstrate his team's capableness
(his team actually has a weakness to life orb protean greninja but I think that pokemon is a myth like a unicorn or Canada. And if life orb protean greninja is an actual thing and not a fictional object that doesn't exist in this solar sytem inside a galaxy inside a universe inside a multiverse governed by the space time continuum, then I certainly have never seen it in my many days of playing OU

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's Up!

Sorry for the short delay, but participation this time around was a little bit slow. Community voting is now over; thanks to everyone who contributed! The esteemed Panel of Judges are finishing their critique of each contestant's dish to determine the Most Original, Most Essential, and Best-Tasting Dishes, alongside the Overall winner for this Episode.

Stay tuned for the next couple of days, when all the scores will be added up and the results will be announced!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!
Apologies to everyone for the wait; school was extremely busy this last week. The scores have finally been calculated, and one chef has emerged victorious. His victory comes after a stellar performance against the Iron Chefs and impressing the community due to the masterful incorporation of immunities to make his dish as effective as possible. Without further ado, please congratulate the second winner of Iron Chef | Overused!

Chef azogue!
Chef azogue was able to beat Iron Chef HQuaze and Iron Chef Empo despite their perfect W/L ratio last week, and also earned the highest score in the Effectiveness category by both the community and the Panel of Judges. This gave him an effective 70% overall score to win the episode, and his dish will be added to the Hall of Fame!

The votes for community voting were also counted, and the winner of each dish is presented below:

Most Original Dish: 1 True Lycan
Most Essential Dish: paoisd
Best-Tasting Dish: azogue

As always, if you have any questions regarding your final score, feel free to contact me! Judge evaluations will be included below for all teams shortlyTM.

Thanks to everyone who participated and made the second Episode a great success! The third secret ingredient will be revealed momentarily...

Finch & I had pretty busy weeks for this round, so s/o to TPP for carrying with descriptions
jordy: creativity - 4, elevation - 3, effectiveness - 3

I mean he has Mega Altaria, so I want to puke, but the team is pretty well constructed and it meets the requirements. As for weaknesses, it does have a number of vulnerabilities, as he even acknowledged, but there is still counterplay (ok that Bulu set is so much worse than Nature's Madness, but like I guess it does the job...), especially with Scarf Kartana there to RK a lot. Overall, it has some creativity, even if MAlt sucks, and is decent in other regards.

1 true - 3/4/3

This team is actually really cool imo and fits all the requirements - had to shift to phone sadly so can’t wrire a ton, but thoughts from here reflected in scores. Sorta inconsistent sadly anyway so bad to downgrade a bit

1 trick - 4/2/2

Counting - 2/4/4

Azogue - 3/4/4

Pao - 2/3/3

Lord Ninja - 3/2/2

Jordy
  • Creativity (5) - Hoopa and especially Altaria are uncommon and it's cool to see them being used here. Altaria's set looks effective and looks like a solid support mon for the team.
  • Elevation (4) - He had 8 immunities that covered 6 types total, so there's not too much overlapping and having immunities to types other team members are weak to, like having Heatran for Altaria's weakness to poison, helps out a lot defensively.
  • Effectiveness (3) - Looks kinda fine against most threats but offensively it's mainly limited to Heatran and Hoopa, which on paper should be enough, but considering how they both get forced out easily due to their speed tier along with how they can both get worn down by hazards and have to switch in against threats like Mega Venusaur in order to attempt to break them (assuming Venusaur or another defensive threat switches into another team member).
1 True Lycan
  • Creativity (4) - Stakataka is cool and actually works in practice and the team looks cool
  • Elevation (3) - Got the required 6, though it only covers 4 types, but aside from Stakataka's poison immunity to poison, the immunities don't really help the team/other team members much. There's like 3 immunities to ground, but Zygarde exists and there's a Tangrowth, so it's not too helpful.
  • Effectiveness (3) - Looks like a fun team offensively, but being forced to revenge kill with Choice Scarf Latios or Hawlucha (won't wanna come in unless it can set up) kinda sucks
1 Trick Phony
  • Creativity (4) - Ngl this feels like one of those early USUM teams where people were using Sticky Web and actually used Blacephalon and Mega Latios together, but otherwise it looks cool
  • Elevation (3) - 7 different immunities is great, but they sorta just have it and not a lot of other members benefitting from the other immunities outside of maybe Blacephalon's fighting immunity for Bisharp and Lando/Latios's ground immunity for Blacephalon and Bisharp.
  • Effectiveness (3) - Looks alright, and something funny I just noticed was that while Lele blocks priority moves from mons like Ash Gren and Zygarde, it also blocks Bisharp's Sucker Punch, which can be extremely useful at times against mons that are still faster like.
Counting Sheep
  • Creativity (3) - Team is mostly standard and then there's Mega Latias, which has a good specific purpose and the team looks like it can support it well
  • Elevation (4) - Honestly, Heatran works really well this round because of the Poison + Fire immunities and having Lando to help with the ground weakness and then having partners weak to Poison and Fire makes Heatran even better.
  • Effectiveness (4) - I like the way each member synergizes with another and it looks solid.
Azogue
  • Creativity (4) - Haven't seen Gengar in ages and the Torn-T and Heatran sets look fun for this team.
  • Elevation (5) - Again, Heatran is really good for this round and Gengar also benefits from Lando and Torn-T having a ground immunity. Tangrowth appreciates the fire immunity and the poison immunity as well. Finally, Torn-T hates Koko and Zapdos and Lando having an electric immunity really helps out as both could come in frequently.
  • Effectiveness (4) - Solid offensively and defensively and I like how Yache Lando is here as Koko annoys Torn-T and luring it out helps the team a lot. Same goes for Scarf Heatran being able to catch threats for Gengar and Torn-T.
paoisd
  • Creativity (3) - It's a unique looking team as Mega Sableye isn't usually seen outside of stall/semistall, but it sorta feels like it was added to promote that semistall look and provide immunities.
  • Elevation (3) - Lando and Zapdos help Heatran, but that's really it
  • Effectiveness (2) - There's no water resist and offensive water types have an extremely easy time getting in and aren't forced out easily.
Lord Ninjax
  • Creativity (3) - Looks standard outside of the Shuca Koko and Specs Heatran
  • Elevation (4) - There's a Heatran and a Lando. Koko and Tyranitar also appreciate Lando's ground immunity and Ferro and Kartana like the fire immunity.
  • Effectiveness (3) - It's mostly standard so it should be fine

Jordy
Creativity (4/5)
Essence (4/5)
Effectiveness (3/5)

1 True Lycan
Creativity (4/5)
Essence (3/5)
Effectiveness (4/5)

1_TrickPhony
Creativity (4/5)
Essence (2/5)
Effectiveness (2/5)

Counting Sheep
Creativity (2.5/5)
Essence (4/5)
Effectiveness (4/5)

azogue
Creativity (4/5)
Essence (4/5)
Effectiveness (4/5)

paoisd
Creativity (2/5)
Essence (3.5/5)
Effectiveness (3/5)

Lord Ninjax
Creativity (2/5)
Essence (4/5)
Effectiveness (3/5)

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
Please make sure you read the rules above in their entirety. Failure to comply with and/or follow the rules can disqualify you from participating for that episode. I will enforce this very strictly!

You do not have to post "in" to participate!

And now, for the third Secret Ingredient of the show featuring a Valentine's Day special...

With Valentine's Day taking place recently, it would be rude to not make an episode out of it. Passions burn and sparks fly in the air. For this Episode's secret ingredient, contestants must build a team that contains at least 3 Fire- type Pokemon and/or Fire moves. These are non-exclusive, so a Charizard-Y with Fire Blast only counts as one out of three requirements met. To clarify: A team containing Volcarona, HP Fire Dragalge, and Flamethrower Altaria would meet the requirements, but a team containing Zard-Y with Fire Blast and HP Fire Greninja would NOT.

The teambuilding part of this Episode will go on until Tuesday, February 20 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Participants must PM the team to me, the Chairman, otherwise they will not be accepted. The team must also include a description up to standard with the rules or else it will not be accepted. Do not post your team in the thread!

After the teambuilding phase, participants with approved teams will be mentioned in the thread and will be able to challenge the Iron Chefs.

Allez, cuisine!

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's up!

That wraps up the team building phase of this round. The contestants with their teams approved are shown below:

Chickenpie2
1 True Lycan
1_TrickPhony
paoisd
MFJr King
wisdom dog
matthewc20090
Lord Ninjax

Please keep in mind that most Iron Chefs have busy schedules (SPL, etc) and have willingly volunteered to help out by participating, so try your hardest to schedule around their availability. For reference, I have listed each of their time zones in the OP. You can only challenge each Iron Chef once per episode, and you don't have to challenge all of them if you don't feel the need to.

The easiest way to schedule is usually by checking this thread, where the Iron Chefs will post that they are online, or contacting them on Discord!

The deadline for the challenging phase will be approximately Monday, February 26 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Remember that every game, whether it's a win or loss, increases your overall score. Good luck to all!

I'm also pleased to announce that we have a new Iron Chef: azogue! He will be taking over for Analytic, who is busy with irl stuff. Thanks to him for dedicating time to this project :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)