Project Iron Chef: Overused | Episode 11 (Coming 2019!)

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!

The final scores have been calculated and one Chef has stood out from the rest. This Chef took the ingredient to a new level by using not only one, but two Fallen Angels. Without further ado, I'm proud to announce the seventh ever winner of Iron Chef | Overused as...

Chef 1_TrickPhony !
Although this round only saw 5 participants, it was full of diverse teams featuring all types of interesting ORAS sets. Chef 1_TrickPhony built his team around Mega Diancie and finished it off with a second fallen angel in LO Latios. He was neck to neck with Chef Anish, but ultimately one community vote of Effectiveness crowned him winner with a score of 67%. His dish will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly!
(Do me a favor and get yourself a Ground-type tho)

The votes for community voting were also counted, and the winner of each dish is presented below:

Most Original Dish: Anish and mudd_skip
Most Essential Dish: 1_TrickPhony
Best-Tasting Dish: 1_TrickPhony

Thanks to everyone who participated and made the seventh Episode a great success! The eighth secret ingredient will be revealed momentarily...

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Please make sure you read the rules above in their entirety. Failure to comply with and/or follow the rules can disqualify you from participating for that episode. I will enforce this very strictly!

You do not have to post "in" to participate!

And now, for the eighth Secret Ingredient of the show...

Stacks on Deck

Hazard stacking is a potent strategy in the SM metagame, capable of damaging any team that lacks hazard control. For this round, participants will simply be asked to build a hazard stacking team. The Panel of Judges will be looking for teams that can take advantage of hazards to the fullest, regardless of the type of build.

The teambuilding part of this Episode will go on until Friday, June 29 @ 11:59 PM EST GMT EST. Participants must PM the team to me, the Chairman, otherwise they will not be accepted. The team must also include a description up to standard with the rules or else it will not be accepted. Do not post your team in the thread! If you have a question regarding what is eligible for this round, PM the Chairman or the esteemed forum moderator that happened to write this last sentence (Hint: He's a forum mod).

After the teambuilding phase, participants with approved teams will be mentioned in the thread and will be able to challenge the Iron Chefs.

Allez, cuisine!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's up!

Tagging the chefs with approved teams below:

MFJr King
mudd_skip
wisdom dog
Synonimous
1_TrickPhony
mellowyellowhd

Please keep in mind that most Iron Chefs have busy schedules and have willingly volunteered to help out by participating, so try your hardest to schedule around their availability. For reference, I have listed each of their time zones in the OP. You can only challenge each Iron Chef once per episode, and you don't have to challenge all of them if you don't feel the need to.

The easiest way to schedule is usually by checking Discord, where the Iron Chefs will post that they are online!

The deadline for the challenging phase will be approximately Friday, July 6 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Remember that every game, whether it's a win or loss, increases your overall score. Good luck to all!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's Up!

That concludes the challenging phase! Huge thanks to all the Iron Chefs for taking time out of their schedules to fit some battles in, and also to the participants for putting their battle skills to the test against them!

Up next is the Voting phase! Below, you'll find each contestant's team alongside the importable + description. Your task is to vote for the one or two teams that you think best fits these three categories, as found in the OP:

CREATIVITY: Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.

ESSENCE / ELEVATION: How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.

EFFECTIVENESS: And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.

Remember that now, an explanation isn't necessary, but still highly encouraged. Anyone (Iron Chefs, community, and contestants) can vote; this phase will be up for 3-4 days!

Team: https://pokepast.es/e93a707930fe8184

Description: To make the most effective team for this round, you can't try and force hazards onto any team and expect it to work. So I decided to build around a core that loves spikes, being mega shark + lele. These two on their own support each other fantastically, wearing down their checks for the other like celesteela, heatran, ferrothorn, etc. Coupled with spikes, common switchins take tons of damage that allow them to be broken by mons that they're supposed to check. In addition, lele's terrain allows shark to 2hko physdef clef with psychic fangs, which is important when orchestrating a shark cleanup. The rest of the team is meant to support these two: magnezone traps their counters like celesteela, ferrothorn, and scizor while providing volt switch momentum, scarf lando is a fantastic momentum bringger completing the voltturn core (and is a ground type which some people apparently overlook), mew is a solid zygarde answer thats not used much anymore, and ferrothorn is the man glue providing spikes and answers to common offensive mons like ash gren and koko. The main offensive threat to this team is definitely heatran, which i couldnt really circumvent too well unless I wanted to get rid of sharpedo, but that weakness is mended by mew luring it in and 2hkoing with epower, magnezone trapping and either picking it off with thunderbolt or gaining volt switch momentum, and the constant pressure from hazards, leech seed, etc. Anyways this team is a lot of fun, straying from the common balances that are running around.

Hello, I would like to submit a team for the 8th secret ingredient. The team is the following

https://pastebin.com/1vUQyE4U

Sableye is the premier lead of the team, able to threaten lando-t with a priority will-o-wisp prior to mega evolving, knock off clefable’s leftovers, and prevent rocks from being on the field. Later on in the game it can provide valuable spinblocking and also checks many physical threats with will-o-wisp and special threats such as z-celebrate victini. Knock off is a incredible utility move, especially on stall, stripping mons of their leftovers or boosting items, as well as receiving stab to hit victini and other mons weak to the move well (notably mega medicham and hoopa-u)

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 128-152 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 135-159 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 123-145 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk burned Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 61-72 (20.1 - 23.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Skarmory is the optimal spikes setter on this team, being able to set up and put a stop to physical threats such as mega pinsir, garchomp, lando-t and non-fire fang mega mawile. Reliable recovery in roost and the access to spikes helped it secure a spot on the team over celesteela, a mon with better overall bulk and a much greater offensive presence due to its access to better offensive moves such as heavy slam, flamethrower and earthquake, as well as leech seed. In addition to this, it has access to whirlwind, which serves dual purposes. First, it can phase out threats that skarmory can't pressure but don't affect it, like kartana. Secondly, phasing out mons combos well with the hazard stacking that the team supplies

Tentacruel is a great special wall, notably being more bulky than toxapex in terms of special defense and being faster than it too. It crucially has rapid spin, a hazard removal move that doesn't get blocked by taunt and also doesn't remove opposing entry hazards, which the team is built around. Access to toxic spikes and haze helps it remain competitive against toxapex, and the lack of reliable recovery and regenerator is made up by its higher speed and greater offensive presence. It’s only lacking point is its average physical bulk and the absence of solid recovery, although this is less of a problem with stall due to the other walls on the team and wish passers.

Chansey is the best special wall in ou, hard stopping threats such as ash-greninja, non-drain punch hoopa-u, heatran and many more. Access to stealth rock and heal bell helps give it the tools to support the team and set up hazards reliably.

Latias is a unique choice, however it's physical bulk is often underestimated. Access to wish and coverage options in ice beam and grass knot helps it secure a spot to check lando-t and mega swampert. With a respectable special attack and speed stat, latias can provide support while checking threats and also notably has levitate to avoid spike damage and toxic spikes, and find more chances to safely switch in. The calcs below represent latias's physical bulk well.

252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Latias: 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Latias: 85-101 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

The special attack investment helps latias have a good chance secure a notable ohko vs mega swampert with grass knot, a move that normally isn't seen on latias, let along a defensive set.

80 SpA Latias Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 312-368 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
80 SpA Latias Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 312-368 (91.4 - 107.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Overall, the element of surprise and latia's underestimated physical bulk helps it tremendously to carry out its role.

Quagsire rounds out the team as a unaware user, checking zygarde better than clefable and also avoids a 2hit ko from mega pinsir's return. Scald spreads burns, and earthquake threatens heatran and toxapex. A great typing in water/ground helps it come in on electric-types moves and has great physical bulk.

252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Overall, the team is good in practice because it can check or counter every major offensive threat in the overused metagame, and all pokemon on the team except tentacruel has reliable recovery, which is made up for by latias' wish. There are notable problems, like every team. Z-moves and powerful wallbreakers such as kyurem-b and hoopa-u will pose huge problems due to their sheer strength. If a z-move eliminates certain mons, than certain offensive threats can run through the team. For example, if quagsire falls to a subzero slammer from kyurem-b, a zygarde with dragon dance will sweep the team if the chance is given. Other threats such as volcarona and ash-greninja can find chances to set up if their checks are removed via z-moves and powerful threats.

Going for another hyper offensive hazard stacking team again

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 240 Atk / 88 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Starts again with my favorite dual lead, suicide Lando T --> Taunt Protean greninja. With this hazard core, pretty easy to get minimum rocks + 1-2 spikes up with 1-2 pokemon KOed before your leads faint.

WP Zygarde is a staple of HO nowadays, and makes it on this team. One of the easiest ways to con a win and can break pretty easily with hazard support.

Zam is a stallbreaker, has a great speed tier and can outspeed torn for taunting, which is huge for this team. Modest helps wallbreak for the team.

Kartana and Magearna are my two sweepers, one special and one physical. Kartana also serves as speed control. Magearna has fight-Z to bait in heatran switches, and a super strong breaking move in general.

Weaknesses are walls fat mons on balance teams (Chansey, M-Slowbro, M-Scizor all cause problems once their 1 check on my team are taken out), fast/scarf defoggers are also annoying.

I started off with Waterium Z Greninja as it's a super solid Spikes setter, due to the amount of switches it forces. Next, I wanted something that benefited from Greninja's ability to lure mons like Bulu and Ferrothorn - Mega Latios fit the bill. Next I wanted some defensive backbone to the team, so I went with AV Amoonguss + Heatran to cover mons like Koko, Lele, Ash-Gren, Kartana etc. The team was lacking a Stealth Rocker, a fairy type, and a Banded Zygarde switchin, so I opted for Clefable. Finally, I wanted some speed control, a Ground type and a Pinsir answer, so Scarf Landorus was added to round out the team. The team however is pretty weak to breakers like Tapu Lele, Pinsir, and Kyurem Black.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 112 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

This episode presents us an interesting challenge in building a hazard stack team. For this team, I knew I wanted a sort of bulky offense that could weaken opposing teams with hazards and smart switching and that could take advantage of common defoggers in a way that could allow me to heavily punish my opponent if he tries to remove them. A pokemon I knew I wanted for this team was Calm Mind + Recover Alakazam. Alakazam is a really threatening mon that has been rising in usage lately and Calm Mind + Recover is really cool to take advantage of pokemons such as Heatran, M-Latios, AV Magearna and even Tornadus-T and use them as set-up fodders. After that, I added my hazard stack core in Heatran + Ferrothorn. Heatran is one of the most consistent stealth rock users in the tier and pairs very nicely with Alakazam. I really like how Heatran can trap pokemons like M-Latios which are set-up fodders for M-Alakazam. Ferrothorn is probably the most consistent Spikes user in the tier and synergizes just so well with Heatran. I felt I needed something durable and consistent for my spiker which is why I didn't go for something like Greninja. Ferrothorn offers me a nice water-resist and is also useful against Zygarde and can easily Gyro Ball Tornadus-T. I really like how it can take advantage of pokemons like Gastrodon (which Heatran can trap) to set-up Spikes or how M-Alakazam can set-up on Scarf Magnezone trapping Ferro (it traces Magnet Pull). After these 3, I felt I needed something that could really pressure fat teams and most importantly steel-types M-Alakazam has a hard time getting rid of and Gliscor fullfilled that criteria. I originally went for Zygarde but decided to go for Gliscor since it provides me a solid check to Ground-types (mainly opposing Zygarde) which I couldn't fit in the team as well as a switchin to some other threats such as Banded Tyranitar. The core of Tornadus-T + Toxapex rounds out the team very nicely providing me checks to pokemons such as Landorus-T, M-Scizor, Protean Greninja, Volcarona, Tapu Bulu and Kartana among others that all threatened my team. Taunt on Tornadus-T is very useful here as it helps vs CM M-Latias and Reuniclus and also really annoys Celesteela, Gastrodon and Toxapex. Payapa Berry on Pex is necessary here because of Volcarona and also gives me some extra safety against Psychic-types like M-Latios, Tapu Lele and M-Medicham. Its spread also takes High Jump Kick into Zen Headbutt from the latter.

This team is really far from perfect and has some poor matchups against but none of them is unmanageable. You will, more often than not, have room for manoeuver as long as you play adequately. Some of the biggest weaknesses include: M-Pinsir to whom I don't have a switchin, and Celesteela who can stall out my team with Leech Seed and Protect, as well as SD Gliscor and Zygarde to whom I don't have a solid switchin. However, they can both be played around by doing smart switches and maintaining hazards up. Celesteela also has a hard time against Taunt + Knock Off Tornadus-T.

The only potential change I think could be made to this team is HP Ice over Calm Mind on M-Alakazam to improve my matchup against Gliscor and Zygarde although I still prefer Calm Mind on this team.​

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
- U-turn

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

I think this team is pretty understandable. Double defog cause fuck hazards, unaware mon, magic bounce, obligatory chansey, jirachi for lele. I'm not proud of what ive done here.
(will update wisdom dog's description soon, sorry about that)

Last edited:
Creativity: mudd_skip bc nobody uses lelepedo anymore and I still think it's a good archetype - especially now that the ladder is infested with screens that you can eat up
Essence: mudd_skip again bc sharpedo fuckin loves spikestack, and MFJr King because SD Glisc loves spikestack too.
Effectiveness: probably MFJr King again because every mon on his team is good as shit lmao

Last edited:
Creativity: Mudd_skip
Essence: Don't want to vote for myself, but no other team that's based around stacking hazards has a spinner and not a defogger, so, me
Effectiveness: MFJrKing, team looks sick

Last edited:
creativity: mudd_skip. shark lele is super broken, cool to see ppl messing around with it.

essence: mf jr king. hazard stack for zam and glisc has been a thing since forever and this build does it very well.

effectiveness: mf jr king. only recommendation that i have is putting hp ice on zam over cm. as of now your team is very weak to zyg as fang glisc is the only check and that isn't very ideal. timid hp ice zam outspeeds ada zyg at +1 and ohkos. also solidifies your mu vs opposing gliscor. overall very cool team though, I’m a big fan of it.

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!

Sorry for taking quite a while on this episode, traveling has kept me quite busy as of late. This Chef was able to build a team that abuse hazards to the fullest and had good synergy among its Pokemon. Without further ado, I'm proud to announce the eighth ever winner of Iron Chef | Overused as...

Chef MFJr King!

This episode saw a lot of different an unique teams that utilized hazards in a completely offensive fashion to a complete stall one, but the Panel of Judges thought that Chef MFJr King's build was the most solid one overall. A regenerator core in Tornadus + Toxapex alongside a tried and trusted backbone of Heatran + Ferrothorn is effective at threatening a lot of different builds, with Mega Alakazam being phenomenal in the current metagame. He takes home his first title with an overall score of 60%, edging out Chefs mellowyellowhd and mudd_skip by winning the community voting for Effectiveness. His dish will be added to the Hall of Fame shortly!

The votes for community voting were also counted, and the winner of each dish is presented below:

Most Original Dish: mudd_skip
Most Essential Dish:
Synonimous and MFJr King
Best-Tasting Dish: MFJr King

Thanks to everyone who participated and made the eighth episode a great success! A couple announcements:

• This project will go on hold for the rest of the week as I visit my family back home; I'll take this time to get the HoF up to date and the next episode will start next week
  • The scoring has been changed slightly, with battle records now having a bigger weight to encourage more battles from the participants

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
Please make sure you read the rules above in their entirety. Failure to comply with and/or follow the rules can disqualify you from participating for that episode. I will enforce this very strictly!

You do not have to post "in" to participate!

And now, for the ninth Secret Ingredient of the show...

Serene Grace

OLT saw Pokemon like Blacephalon, Serperior, and Pyukumuku receive more usage than before. This usage resulted in these Pokemon rising from the irrelevance of the C ranks on the viability ranking to the B ranks. In this round, contestants will simply be tasked with building a team around a Pokemon ranked C+ or lower (unranked is valid) in the VR in the hopes of finding new effective ways to use these Pokemon.

The teambuilding part of this Episode will go on until Thursday, August 30 @ 11:59 PM GMT EST. Participants must PM the team to me, the Chairman, otherwise they will not be accepted. The team must also include a description up to standard with the rules or else it will not be accepted. Do not post your team in the thread! If you have a question regarding what is eligible for this round, PM me, the Chairman.

After the teambuilding phase, participants with approved teams will be mentioned in the thread and will be able to challenge the Iron Chefs.

Allez, cuisine!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's up!

Tagging the chefs with approved teams below:

1_TrickPhony
lyd
Anish
vso

Please keep in mind that most Iron Chefs have busy schedules and have willingly volunteered to help out by participating, so try your hardest to schedule around their availability. For reference, I have listed each of their time zones in the OP. You can only challenge each Iron Chef once per episode, and you don't have to challenge all of them if you don't feel the need to.

The easiest way to schedule is usually by checking Discord, where the Iron Chefs will post that they are online!

The deadline for the challenging phase will be approximately Friday, September 7 @ 12 AM EDT GMT -5. Remember that every game, whether it's a win or loss, increases your overall score, and this category now affects your overall score more. Good luck to all!

edit: Snowy beat both vso and lyd

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)