Iron Chef Season 3: Underused | EPISODE 9, PHASE 3 (post #252)

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
3, 2, 1...

TIME'S UP!

Voting phase is officially over; allow me to introduce to you the people's choice winners for this episode!
Apparently, the highly esteemed Panel of Judges haven't had the chance to discuss regarding on the team rates, so the rates will be released as soon as the deliberation process has finished!

The eighth episode of UU Iron Chef will be coming up soon, and I'm pretty sure he's a rather familiar face in the old times...

Euphonos

Do you know that this special guest I have right now, while he is more popular in his singing career during the 80s, is actually an entrepreneur and is a co-founder of one of the most famous restaurants in the world? Allow me to introduce to you this special guest for this episode...

KENNY ROGERS!
Kenneth Ray Rogers is a retired American singer, songwriter, actor, record producer, and entrepreneur. Though he has been most successful with country audiences, Rogers has charted more than 120 hit singles across various music genres, topped the country and pop album charts for more than 200 individual weeks in the United States alone, and has sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time.

Two of his albums, The Gambler and Kenny, are featured in the About.com poll of "The 200 Most Influential Country Albums Ever". He was voted the "Favorite Singer of All-Time" in a 1986 joint poll by readers of both USA Today and People. He has received numerous such awards as the AMAs, Grammys, ACMs and CMAs, as well as a lifetime achievement award for a career spanning six decades in 2003.

Later success includes the 2006 album release, Water & Bridges, an across the board hit, that hit the Top 5 in the Billboard Country Albums sales charts, also charting in the Top 15 of the Billboard 200. The first single from the album, "I Can't Unlove You," was also a sizable chart hit. Remaining a popular entertainer around the world, the following year he completed a tour of the United Kingdom and Ireland, telling BBC Radio 2 DJ Steve Wright his favorite hit was "The Gambler". He has also acted in a variety of movies and television shows, most notably the title roles in Kenny Rogers as The Gambler and the MacShayne series as well as his appearance on The Muppet Show. He is also a co-founder of the restaurant chain Kenny Rogers Roasters.

[source]

One of his songs is chosen to be the secret ingredient for this episode, as we are going to commemorate Pokemon in its long-running development through various generations. Now, feel free to open the secret ingredient below!

. . . . . . .

THROUGH THE YEARS!

"I'm so glad I stayed right here with you through the years."

While the artist speaks this song to his loved one by virtue of the aforementioned line, this line itself could also speak of the relationship between all of us playing Pokemon since Generation 1 until today and to the developers of GameFreak who devoted a magnificent amount of time making Pokemon all the more possible. With that, participants are required to build their teams featuring one Pokemon that was introduced in each generation. Note that alternate formes that were introduced late in the generation counts as the base Pokemon that were first introduced (i.e. Mega Aerodactyl counts as a Pokemon introduced in Generation 1 despite Mega Evolution is introduced in Generation 6; Alolan Muk counts as a Pokemon introduced in Generation 1 despite its alternate form is introduced in Generation 7).

Participants have until
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 9 AM GMT -4
to complete your dishes to be sent to the Chairman (Euphonos) and to the Panel of Judges (pokemon sparrow, eht, and esche) via PM.

Allez, cuisine!

Euphonos

3, 2, 1...

TIME'S UP!

The team building phase is officially over; allow me to introduce to you the participants for this episode!
Will these participants have what it takes to beat the highly reputable Iron Chefs? Whose cuisine reigns supreme? We will find out in this challenge phase!

As such, participants have until
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 9:00 AM GMT -4
to challenge any of the available Iron Chefs.​

Due to the Panel of Judges' logistical issues, all the consolidated rates from the previous episode cannot be released today until further notice.

Allez, cuisine!

Euphonos

eaglehawk, please battle any of the available Iron Chefs, for you are the only one who hasn't made any Iron Chef matches so far.

Apologies for any interruptions; finally, the rates from the highly esteemed Panel of Judges in the previous episode have now released!

CREATIVITY: 1.5 / 5
As we have expected much from you in this criterion, apparently, you have disappointed us with standard sets on almost literally every Pokemon. What spared here to give you a flat-out low score in this criterion is the use of Choice Band Mamoswine - that itself, while being uncommon, is rather slapped.

ESSENCE: 2 / 5
It's not too shabby for you to use two of the three key Pokemon being the win conditions for your team; unfortunately, you didn't utilize a game plan in order for Suicune and Cobalion to shine other than just responding accordingly to some of the prominent threats in the metagame.
EFFECTIVENESS: 6.5 / 10
The weakness to VoltTurn still remains a disturbing flaw in this team. While Alomomola + Blissey in themselves can win against unprepared teams, you could have used something more meaningful to devise a game plan for both Suicune and Cobalion to shine, reflective from the rather low score in the Essence criterion. Still a valiant effort in making this rather solid team, however.

TOTAL: 10 / 20

CREATIVITY: 3 / 5
Shaymin and Nidoqueen, being the rather uncommon Pokemon in this team, warrants a considerable score in this criterion. What holds this back to put up a notch in this criterion are the simplicity of the sets of each Pokemon.

ESSENCE: 4 / 5
You managed to use the key Pokemon very well as a supporting cast to give the team the longevity it needs -- the rest of the team benefiting from the key ingredient are very helpful in sticky situations.
EFFECTIVENESS: 5 / 10
While you do acknowledge your weakness to the most ubiquitous Offensive Scizor variants, there are other opposing Pokemon worth treading carefully against: Nidoking and Chandelure may find a good deal of opportunities to enter the field given the nature of the team's backbone is rather slow (although this is partly alleviated by Thunder Wave on Klefki). The lack of hazard control could prove to be a concern although forcing removal on a Spike-stacking team by virtue of Defog does bring its fair share of antagonism. Still a good effort for making this team; a little tinkering would give this team a modest amount of success.

TOTAL: 12 / 20

CREATIVITY: 2.5 / 5
Virizion serves as a stand-out for being the most uncommon Pokemon in your team, and with putting Toxic Spikes on Choice Scarf Nihilego being an icing on the cake, this team warrants a rather average score in this criterion.

ESSENCE: 1.5 / 5
While three of the key Pokemon you used fulfilled their roles individually, these Pokemon aren't cohesive enough to capture the essence of the secret ingredient, contrary to what the UU Community sees your team being the most essential.
EFFECTIVENESS: 4 / 10
While you have a form of dealing with Stall by virtue of Volcanion and Virizion, it seems that your team would struggle against offensive teams - case in point, we found Mamoswine being the most threatening among all other threats worth looking at -- once Mamoswine switches in, it could potentially steamroll your team, with Nihilego being your saving grace. There are a lot of ways we could help to make your team better such as putting a Pursuit trapper in this team (which Mega Aerodactyl would easily do!) which could be of great help to two of your attackers Volcanion and Virizion by taking out another threatening Pokemon - Latias. Finally, with Volcanion having a Modest nature, Jolly Swords Dance Scizor variants would be having a field day as well, as it avoids a KO from Volcanion by virtue of U-turn to its respective check. Don't take these scores personally; hope we could give you some inspiration to building better teams in the future.

TOTAL: 8 / 20

CREATIVITY: 2.5 / 5
Zygarde-10%, while quite a trending Pokemon, still remains one of the uncommon Pokemon in the UU metagame, and with Grassium Z Volcanion being an icing on the cake as one of the unorthodox options, your team warrants a rather average score in this criterion.

ESSENCE: 4 / 5
You truly captured the essence of the secret ingredients by virtue of Mamoswine, Zygarde-10%, and Volcanion breaking almost every wall you find. What holds back to getting up a notch in this criterion is the fact that Scizor isn't exactly a reliable win condition as it fails to find a way in dealing with Stall archetypes (what more if you'd place Eeyore's Virizion instead, no?).
EFFECTIVENESS: 6.5 / 10
For an offensive team like this, you can't afford to have your momentum lost by virtue of Tentacruel; Starmie would have been more welcoming as a Spinner for this team as Toxic Spikes isn't really as needed as it looks to be, and exerting more offensive pressure is more valuable for this team. Reflective from the Essence criterion too, your team lacks a more reliable win condition as Scizor isn't dealing with Stall archetypes any time soon - Virizion could have been a great boon over Scizor; while you might lose a form of priority, Mamoswine's Ice Shard and Zygarde-10%'s Extreme Speed is more than enough to close out any offensive Pokemon that would stand against your team. Regardless, your team stands out to be weak to Mega Manectric and other Electric-types as your team lacks a prompt answer to such Pokemon. Regardless, it's still a solid effort on your part to build this nice team; good job!

TOTAL: 13 / 20

. . . . . . .

Therefore, the winner of the previous episode, with a cumulative weighted average of 55.95%, goes to...

Chef Nightingales!

While Chef SuperVegeta20 won the hearts of the Panel of Judges, it was not enough to surpass Chef Nightingales to victory, as she was voted by the community being the best-tasting dish in this episode. Congratulations, Nightingales; your team will now be etched into the Hall of Fame!

. . . . . . .

Now that the eighth episode is underway, I wonder if the participants have stayed with their most cherished Pokemon through the years...

Last edited:

Euphonos

3, 2, 1...

TIME'S UP!

Challenge phase is now over; allow me to introduce to you the teams presented by our participants!

SuperVegeta20 said:

Jack (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 152 Atk / 180 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

Helen (Magneton) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Morton (Comfey) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

Emile (Mantine) (M) @ Eject Button
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

Fred (Sceptile-Mega) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Leonardo (Chandelure) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Memento

So this is kinda inspired from playing dodmen and his memento Chandelure, I made a team with that Chandelure and it's super fun. Similar idea here with the memento Chandelure to be able to provide offensive support throughout the match and when the threats are out of the way memento and get free setup with Comfey or Mega Sceptile. The Magneton is there for obvious reasons, this team gets BOPPED by Scizor so you know I gotta provide somethin for that. Now this e-button Mantine is where i had to get a little creative because my team is so weak to Scizor that I just kinda need the ebutton to help me even more vs. Scizor. :]
i like cute things said:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Psywave
- Hypnosis
- Stealth Rock

special snowflake (Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 144 SpA / 116 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

I CANNOT SEE (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

i can't build without moltres so i'm using it again
i took heed of the tips last time where i actually needed hazard removal so here i am
evs on cryo let me outspeed gliscor creeping entei, rest is dumped into hp so i'm fat and special attack so i can hit suicune for more than 2%
evs on moltres let me outspeed mamoswine
i lose super hardcore to mega aerodactyl so bronzong and swampert are there so i don't lose as hard hopefully
haze cryo lets me not lose super hard to suicune and also it's a cool switchin to stuff like washtom if rocks aren't up
i forgot why i have a sylveon but it's probably for something important
Nicklypuff said:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Play Rough

Sceptile (F) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Naive Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm

I decided to go with a stall team with this challenge as I felt that defensive synergy could fit across the different generations to fit the secret ingredient. Using all of the entry hazards, I wanted to make sure I had one Pokémon per entry hazard to ensure I still had other options if one of them got KO'd at some point in a match. I also wanted to use a status cleric and so Blissey was my choice since I didn't have a Gen 2 Pokémon yet and I liked her synergy with Cofagrigus. I used an offensive set on Starmie, my Rapid Spinner of choice to add offensive pressure to the team and also chose Sceptile as my Mega because I felt it could deal with Krookodile and Scizors as well as help wear down Pokémon with its powerful Leaf Storms making it easier for the rest of the team to wear them down or pick them off itself.
explodingdaisies said:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Cotton Guard
- Facade

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Alomomola @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Healing Wish

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Hoopa @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

I decided to go with m-alt+mag core. I went with the very underrated set in Facade+CG. I went with 96 EVs in speed so I can outspeed M-aero at +2 and put max hp and the rest in defense to maximize altaria's defensive capabilities. At +3 defense altaria turns even the most fearsome physical wallbreakers into setup fodder. I chose Facade as once Altaria is statused, Facade turns into a 168 BP STAB move that dents many things even with no attack investment. Here's one calc that shows some of the bulk that CG m-alt has

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +3 252 HP / 160+ Def Altaria-Mega: 96-114 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

I went with scarf magneton to give me some much needed speed on this team. I chose alomomomola for 2 reasons. Eject button, and healing wish. Eject button helps trap scizor while healing wish can give one of my breakers another chance or altaria(in case I let it get toxic'd in order to punch holes early game). I chose mamoswine as it's a a potent wallbreaker and can setup rocks. I went with the standard physical instead of the freeze dry set as I want to maximize his physical wallbreaking capacity. I needed hazard removal that was from gens 2,6 or 7. 6 and 7 have terrible removers so I went with scizor. Defog scizor maybe the subpar set for scizor but it works just fine for this team. For my last mon, I went with hoopa. I needed something to help me beat stall and sub NP hoopa with Z-focus blast does a great job breaking stall. At +2, AoA has an 88% chance to OHKO blissey from full. This team does struggle a bit with some HO builds, especially ones that are faster. But with bulky mega altaria, it beats the most common scarfers like infernape, hydreigon and krook.
Ov3r Ac3 said:

Gen 1 (Nidoqueen) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Roar
- Earthquake

Gen 2 (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Haze
- Defog

Gen 3 (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpD / 176 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower

Gen 4 (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 28 Def / 112 SpA / 88 SpD / 184 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gen 5 (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Gen 6 (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Happiness: 0
EVs: 196 HP / 208 Def / 96 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Play Rough
- Magnet Rise
- Toxic

Nidoqueen was added because I needed a Stealth Rocker. Nidoqueen also provides Toxic Spikes as well as p/hazing the opposing team. Next I added Mantine, sadly Blissey and Quagsire are also gen 2 so I had to choose between them. In the end I ended up with Mantine. The generation 3 mon was Altaria, as it provides me cleric support while also letting me soft check Heracross. Flamethrower is to catch Scizors on the switch. Cresselia was my Gen 4 mon, as I've wanted to build around Cresselia for quite a long time. The spread allows it to hit 405 hp which is enough for 101 subs, while also being able to live a LO Latias Draco at +2, the Speed allows it to outspeed Jolly Scizor while also Ohko'ing with HP Fire at +1. Alomomola was added to provide Wish support which was needed as I have three pokemon without recovery. Klefki was my last addition as it gives my team another way of chipping down the opposing team, as well as being one of the best mons in the current UU meta.
. . . . . . .

Apparently, eaglehawk didn't manage to get any Iron Chef matches this episode; therefore his team will not be presented.

Replays are linked in this spreadsheet under the tab: "Battle Records".

The UU Community (including Iron Chefs!) may now vote for two of the most favorite teams in terms of the three criteria: Creativity, Essence, and Effectiveness. They can also vote for one team in different categories. Here's an example of how a vote goes:

CREATIVITY: Euphonos, eht
ESSENCE: pokemon sparrow, eht
EFFECTIVENESS: esche, pokemon sparrow
Or, if you still want the reasoning behind those votes, please refer to this:

CREATIVITY:
1. Euphonos - Ah, I've never seen someone using such sets before.
2. eht - Because he always build creative sets and never disappoint!

ESSENCE:
1. pokemon sparrow - He managed to use the secret ingredient very well as it served as an integral component to his team.
2. eht - He takes advantage of the secret ingredient in order for his key Pokemon to shine.

Effectiveness:
1. esche - Knowing this person, he doesn't bring out anything that wasn't truly effective in the first place, and this team is no exception; while having some creative touches, it translated to its effectiveness quite well!
2. pokemon sparrow - Don't be fooled with a team that was unaesthetically pleasing, it's just damn effective in what it does!
The big change here unlike the previous episodes is that the Chairman becomes a little lenient by not requiring everyone to put the reasons behind their vote! While the Chairman is hoping for a better voter turnout in this episode and in the succeeding episodes, should the UU community wants to put reasons behind their vote, those are very welcome.

. . . . . . .

The UU community has until
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 10 AM GMT -4
to cast a vote on this thread who are
the most original,
the most essential,

and
the best-tasting
dishes ever witnessed this round!

Allez, cuisine!

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Creativity
Ov3r Ac3 - Picks like nidoqueen and Cresselia make this team pretty neat. :]
i like cute things - This is barely even a UU team, lmao.

Essence
Ov3r Ac3 - Had to make stall without alo + blissey and made it work, nice.
explodingdaisies - This team is lit.

Effectiveness
explodingdaisies - I really like this team, sub np Hoopa is cool on it, and I have been trying out this malt set and it's been working pretty well for the most part :].
explodingdaisies - Yes, yes I did just vote for him twice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)