Pet Mod Item Factory [THE MOD IS DEAD, DO NOT REVIVE]

Tapler

Coral Bitch
is a Top Social Media Contributor
Big Root
Adrenaline Orb
Electrizer
Utility Umbrella

Because I didn’t sub this slate, I can finally share opinions during voting without feeling biased! n.n

Protector:
Sylve Serenity Brace clone. I haven’t played Sylve, but Serenity Brace is in Melee as well, and while it’s not bad there per se, nothing ever uses it over other defensive items.

Odd Incense / Dubious Disk / Rose Incense:
W-why? Even if they only cover three types, opening up this kind of free coverage for mons is stupid. Like, do we really need to give mons any flavour of ESpeed or Boomburst that they want? It’s especially egregious on mons like Regieleki that are balanced around a lack of coverage, which would now get Grass Rapid Spin and ESpeed and Body Slam to break through the Ground-types that are supposed to easily switch in.

Stable Mulch:
Neat but very niche, I don’t think anything will actually run this.

Grip Claw:
Broken. Broken broken. How are you supposed to counterplay this? Like, at all? Especially on Regenerator mons, yikes.

Heart Scale:
A very good and unique item, but I don’t think the effect fits Heart Scale at all. I know that you originally made it as an original item and had to swap its effect to an existing item, but I think you should’ve just waited until next slate instead. If this doesn’t win, PLEASE resub it, just under a name that actually lines up with what it does.

Protector
Sachet
Big Root
Electrizer
Utility Umbrella

Protector: For many physical attackers this means preventing scald burns, can be an interesting sidegrade to lum berry.

Sachet: Good for stopping choice band pokemon, even though i voted for it i can't see many pokemon running this over Leftovers, but its certainly usable.

Upgrade: I honestly can't see why would anyone use this over life orb.

Whipped Dream: Nobody's running Hypnosis or Sing in ou, the only Lovely Kiss user is also unviable and spore/sleep powder are already covered via safety goggles (with the extra bonus of also preventing hail/sand chip damage), the only move this is realistically blocking is yawn. not worth using atm but could be useful in future slates if some accuracy increasing items like those submitted previously win.

Normal becomes other type items: can't think of many general uses for these items atm, but i think they can be useful down the line. Something as simple as giving boomburst toxtricity grass coverage can go a long way. The least broken types are psychic (as decent neutral coverage) and electric (for giving physical electric types a stab more reliable than wild charge) imo, everything else can be sketchy (grass is surprisingly great coverage, being strong against water and ground types is no joke).

Big Root: Makes weak attacks with health drain effects worth using, the problem with those moves in the first place is that the low damage made the healing weaker and more inconsistent than just using leftovers or more powerful moves to ko the opponent before your pokemon could be hit, the increase on both power and healing in this makes it a very good item.

Adrenaline Orb: Relying on landorus and webs makes this a matchup fishing item, its inconsistent even with how powerful getting a defense or speed boost can be for many walls and setup sweepers, i like the idea but its too situational for its own good, just like the original item.

Stable Mulch: I'm just not a fan of weather/terrain/room removal on switch concepts, those sort of teams either build around their chosen effect in a way that is too solid for this to be effective, or automatically lose to it, no middle ground. This item is indeed very strong but runs the same matchup dependent strong/useless status that adrenaline orb does, i struggle to think of consistent users or teams that would want this, patching a weakness to a certain team archetype with a item is not a effective tactic, it encourages building bad teams, a single user will be overwhelmed, multiple users means multiple pokemon with no items vs teams that don't rely on terrain at all. Making this get rid of more things like weather and rooms might give it a massive improvement as far as usage goes but at that point it only hurts niche playstyles that already struggle at being consistent.

Lucky Punch: I just can't see any use for this, sure the boost is higher than scope lens and razor claw, but since 1-its a single use item, 2-only gets activated by a specific category of moves, 3-the boost goes away after switching out, 4-depends on luck anyway. This is a hard pass for me.

Reaper Cloth: Its certainly usable, however i find Big Root the most consistent item, the only thing this does is making a boosted bulky setup sweeper hard to wear down/revenge kill, its a good item overall but its only niche is something i'm not a fan of.

Grip Claw: Another solid pick, however the switch shenanigams this brings in making manually switching also switch out your pokemon will only worsen what is awful about pivoting moves in general, just think about what a toxapex or clefable can do if equiped with this item, this is disgusting. Even if this item were limited to acting on moves that switch out the opponent (teleport, u-turn, flip turn, volt switch) i wouldn't vote for it, it only worsens the issues it attempts to fix.

Heart Scale: Off course i'm biased towards voting for something i subbed, yeah i thought of some users for it and a few sets but its a rather niche pick, its up to you wether you vote for it or not. I know the effect and item are splashed together in a rough way but i think a item to remember forgotten moves making the user use forgotten mechanics has a nice taste to it.

Utility Umbrella: This item has many great uses for rain teams, the anti-synergy of sun and swift swimmers leans usage more towards pokemon like Solar Power Heliolisk and Chlorophyll users in rain.

Pecha Berry: Another matchup fish since it will only work vs stall and some balance teams (though compared with previous items i considered matchup fishing the range its broad enough to be worth using), its a very good effect but compared to using leftovers and a cleric its not worth it in my eyes.

Destiny Knot: Previous posts in the thread go over why making a knock off user lose its item not much of a punishment, even with the extra bit about dealing damage this item doesn't beat using no item to reduce damage from knock off or using a item that will help you in more general scenarios.

Last edited:
VOTING IS OVER OUR WINNERS ARE
View attachment 317669
Item Name: Big Root
Old Effect: Holder gains 1.3x HP from draining/Aqua Ring/Ingrain/Leech Seed/Strength Sap.
New Effect: Holder gains 1.3x HP from draining/Aqua Ring/Ingrain/Leech Seed/Strength Sap, boosts the damage of Draining attacks by 1.5x
Justification: A slight boost that allows moves like Draining Kiss or Leech Life to be very benefitial to the users while still dealing decent damage. Will likely be mostly used on Bulky Offense mons.

View attachment 317670
Item Name: Adrenaline Orb
Old Effect: Boosts Speed by 1 when Intimidated (Not single use)
New Effect: Boosts highest stat by 1 when a stat gets lowered by external means (Not single use)
Justification: Allows for a mini defiant, good for Spinblocking purposes (And as this is still OU you have a likely chance to meet Intimidate Tiger regardless)

View attachment 317681
Item Name: Electirizer
Old Effect: No in-battle use
New Effect: If holder is an Electric type, turns Normal moves into Electric
Justification: Allows Physical Electric Types to have good stabs
and
:utility umbrella:
Item: Utility Umbrella
Old Effect: The holder ignores the effects of rain and sun.
New Effect: The holder's rain-based abilities are active during sun and vice versa. Abilities are still active in their original weathers.
Niche: Diversifies weather teams by giving Venusaur, Heliolisk, and Seismitoad a chance to function on different weathers.
With that we will be taking a break so this can get coded, and hopefully we can start play testing soon after that.
Also if anyone is interested in joining the council please let me know.

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Cool

:ss/heliolisk:
Heliolisk @ Utility Umbrella
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Weather Ball

Throw off epic +1 SpAtk 100% accurate Thunders

:ss/toxtricity:
Toxtricity @ Electirizer
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Volt Switch
- Sludge Wave
- Snarl

Throw off epic STAB Punk Rock Boombursts

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Electirizer
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- filler
- filler

Throw off epic STAB Transistor Extreme Speeds and Explosion. you cant hit ground types anymore so eh

:ss/bisharp:
Bisharp @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
Use with webs for awesome

:ss/zapdos-galar:
Zapdos-Galar @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 164 Atk / 92 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Thunderous Kick
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
Use with webs (or screens ig) for more awesome

:ss/buzzwole:
Buzzwole @ Big Root
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Life / Ice Punch
- Toxic
- Roost
Literally just Buzzwole

THE HIATUS IS OVER AND SO IS THE MOD!
Yes that's right the hiatus is over ... because I'm ending the mod. This may come as a shock to some of you but I have my reasons.
First of all this mod doesn't have a future. I'll be honest a lot of the items that got in were pretty unimpressive overall or just built for different formats other than singles. Nothing here can really compete with the competitve mainstay items. Even the most broken item with the slippery sled can be negated by simply changing the weather, which is fairly easy given that Dinodily exists here. On top of that some of the items are just rehashes of the sylvemon items like the power gel and everstone. Honestly this would have probably ended up as sylvemons item catalogue if I let it go on long enough. The second reason I'm ending the mod is because I want to focus on other projects. I have no real passion for this anymore, and if I'm being honest, my passion for this died when I had COVID. I'll be honest I made a lot of mistakes during this mod and I think that COVID hiatus which extended a slate that no one cared for was the biggest nail in the coffin. On top of that I practically ran this mod by myself which probably made me grow to dislike it a bit more.

With all that said you might wonder what happens next. Well I still need to code the mod since I don't see anyone else doing it in the foreseeable future and the 21 items that got in are going to get coded eventually. Like I said I want to focus on future projects so this is going to be on the back burner. I want to try and add the items from slates 1, 2, 4, and 5 in before the end of the year as well as add Dinodily into the meta so my child can finally have a meta to be playable in that isn't Roulettemon Ubers. As for slate 3 that looks very iffy because certain items look like they might be a bit more painful to code. As for the future of the mod, well it doesn't have one. To be completely honest with you all I don't intend for someone else to take over for the rest of Gen 8. Once Gen 9 comes it'll be up for grabs and hopefully by that point everything will have been coded.

To anyone who participated in the mod I thank you for trying to keep this alive. To anyone who enjoyed the mod I'm sorry that you have to see it go. As for what these future projects hold well most of them aren't going to involve smogon at all. However there might be one idea I have, albeit an eXtremely Dangerous one that might surface on here. I still need to work on it though.

Update?: As you can see the coding aspect of this mod didn't happen since it's almost a year now. I have no desire to code this failure of a mod nor do I wish for anyone to try and revive it for gen 9, which seems to be a lot closer than I thought it would be. I view this mod as a shame. I do not recommend even considering making a mod like this. You're better off trying something else.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)