its hard to find out about showdown

shotgun37

Banned deucer.
the way i found out about this was because some one who i was wifi batting lost is ds so he could not battle with me any more and told me about showdown if that guy did not tell me i wound not be on it as un aware of it how the heck are people meant to find out about showdown how did they in the first place

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you google "Pokemon battle" it's the first link, and if you Google "Pokemon" it's on the first page, which indicates that it's pretty easy to find through a simple google search.

If you google "Pokemon battle" it's the first link, and if you Google "Pokemon" it's on the first page, which indicates that it's pretty easy to find through a simple google search.
Instead of being so defensive you should listen to what he's trying to say. I'd done many pokemon searches before, you just wouldn't think that there would be an actual "battle simulator"; especially one of Showdown's caliber. Had it not been for one of my fraternity brothers I wouldn't have found out about this either. When he presented it to me my exact words were "This is almost too good to be true" because I hated EV Grinding, and Hatching eggs, and all that time consuming bullshit.

So I agree with the TC.

I'm unsure how you could classify what skylight said as "defensive"....

She was being rather upfront/direct, which is the better word for it I guess, but w/e

I would like to start off by pointing out, it's generally hard for any pokemon fansite to be noticed by the masses as Pokemon doesn't exactly promote us. Even sites like Pokebeach have mainly been found by word to mouth information (I'm sure plenty of people found it by using google however). For example, I was a pokemon fan for about 5-6 years before I finally found Smogon, than PS.

Rohep

Banned deucer.
inb4 TV ad suggested

But seriously the servers can barely handle the amount of people we have most of the time already.

Ironically I've used Smogon for build advice for the past few years. Never knew about Showdown though until about a month ago.

First thing you get when you Google ''Pokemon Simulator'' is Pokemon Showdown. Isn't that hard to find if you're looking for a Pokemon Sim ? :I

I think the main point is that most people are not intelligent enough to use the word "Simulator" in google searches, or similar words. Many people are just kids lookin for a place to play pokemon, so they'll probably just Google "Pokemon" or "Play Pokemon", which unfortunately gives them ROMs, emulators, and the pokemon website. Even wikipedia. -_-.

Addressing the Google searches cited by skylight, I did Google "pokemon", but PS wasn't on the first page for me, which suggests that the search results may differ for everyone. For "pokemon battle", PS's title thingy in the website is "Pokémon Showdown! battle simulator", meaning if you search Pokemon with any of "Showdown", "battle", or "simulator", most likely PS will show up. Other words like "Play" or "game" may not necessarily give PS as a result.

Completely agree with Arcticblast though - it's pretty hard to advertise a Pokemon simulator website, without fear of retribution and/or drama.

the way i found out about this was because some one who i was wifi batting lost is ds so he could not battle with me any more and told me about showdown if that guy did not tell me i wound not be on it as un aware of it how the heck are people meant to find out about showdown how did they in the first place
TLDR: If you like PS, and I hope you do, the best way to promote it to others is to pass it on, recommend it, and have fun on it with friends (that's how I got introduced). Tbh that's how word usually spreads really quickly, social media, person to person passing, and not trying to get your link the first result on Google.

Just my two cents.

I think the main point is that most people are not intelligent enough to use the word "Simulator" in google searches, or similar words. Many people are just kids lookin for a place to play pokemon, so they'll probably just Google "Pokemon" or "Play Pokemon", which unfortunately gives them ROMs, emulators, and the pokemon website. Even wikipedia. -_-.

Addressing the Google searches cited by skylight, I did Google "pokemon", but PS wasn't on the first page for me, which suggests that the search results may differ for everyone. For "pokemon battle", PS's title thingy in the website is "Pokémon Showdown! battle simulator", meaning if you search Pokemon with any of "Showdown", "battle", or "simulator", most likely PS will show up. Other words like "Play" or "game" may not necessarily give PS as a result.

Completely agree with Arcticblast though - it's pretty hard to advertise a Pokemon simulator website, without fear of retribution and/or drama.

TLDR: If you like PS, and I hope you do, the best way to promote it to others is to pass it on, recommend it, and have fun on it with friends (that's how I got introduced). Tbh that's how word usually spreads really quickly, social media, person to person passing, and not trying to get your link the first result on Google.

Just my two cents.
I dont see the problem in PS not coming on the searchbar if you search ''Game'' or ''Play'' seeing as Showdown isnt the usual pokemon RPG game most people are looking for when searching ''Pokemon game''

Agreed. I was told about it by a friend; now I've gotten maybe 5 people to use the site on a regular basis. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Rohep

Banned deucer.
Agreed. I was told about it by a friend; now I've gotten maybe 5 people to use the site on a regular basis. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.
True. I don't honestly see why we need more people anyway lmao

At the end of the day people that are interested in online pokemon battling will find out about PS. I don't see why this is a topic tbh.

Skitty

i dont care if i ever come down♪
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Instead of being so defensive you should listen to what he's trying to say. I'd done many pokemon searches before, you just wouldn't think that there would be an actual "battle simulator"; especially one of Showdown's caliber. Had it not been for one of my fraternity brothers I wouldn't have found out about this either. When he presented it to me my exact words were "This is almost too good to be true" because I hated EV Grinding, and Hatching eggs, and all that time consuming bullshit.

So I agree with the TC.
lol ive never seen a non hostile post here from you

lol ive never seen a non hostile post here from you
It took a while for Smogon to grow on me, and it still is. The way to staff addresses its users is new to me, so I'm adjusting.

And honestly, that wasn't even a hostile post. At all. Don't be sensitive, vulgar language =/= hostile.

If I may give my two cents, the most attention showdown gets comes from poketubers like Blame Truth.
With that, the problem of finding showdown kinda solves itself, don't really see the point of this thread.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I don't remember how I first found out about shoddy. It was probably when I was in smogon looking for competitive Pokemon builds and accidentally stumbled on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)