Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

It obviously attracts blind spiderman fans. You took my post as if i was stating a fact. Clearly i'd known that if even one blind spiderman fan would want to see the movie and happened to be above 17 i would be wrong. For the most part this has been arvertised as teen/tween movie in the same vein as the movies i previously stated.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You're right, it does attract the same people that the first Spiderman movie did. In fact on its first day it attracted about 8 million more (I guess those are all the tweens).

No, I didn't think your statement was fact. I thought your statement portrayed some weird Freudian shit. Cause the first thing everyone else thought when they saw the trailers was "Aren't we retreading old ground?". And the first complaint each reviewer has is "Aren't we retreading old ground?". But in comes some hero, exposing the tween influence creeping in from the fall when tween movies are normally released. All from having only watched the trailer!

And I'd mock that, but I've done some research and there's another sleeper hit right now called Moonrise Kingdom and it even stars tweens!!! Not 28 year old actors, but actual children!!! Tweens took over Cannes Film Festival! They have taken over Rotten Tomatoes with a 94% rating! Maybe they'll even get on Oscar nod. Shit, I saw Moonrise Kingdom and it was amazing. Afterward I had to go eat some red meat and bang some hookers, lest I physically mutate back into childhood.

God dammit twilight! You've ruined everything!

IWhat bugs me though is Gwen Stacy. Without bringing up looks, job, or what they do, how is she different from Mary Jane?
As I haven't seen the new film I have no idea if film-Gwen is any different from film-MaryJane, but I do know that in the original comic series Gwen preceded Mary Jane as Peter Parker's love interest.
I guess a difference might be how film-Peter gets along with Gwen as opposed to how he gets along with Mary Jane, but whether such behaviour is apparent or relevant in the new film could be the answer to your question.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What bugs me though is Gwen Stacy. Without bringing up looks, job, or what they do, how is she different from Mary Jane?
i'm sure you know enough about comics to know the primary difference between Gwen and MJ - Gwen dies. as soon as i saw gwen was in the film i was all 'oh right, she's gonna die...could make a great tearjerking scene, important part of spiderman's evolution etc' but no, they make us settle for gwen's dad dying instead - we'll need to watch the next installment to see gwen die. stop being so stingy, sony >_<

Well Lee...
Although Normal Osborn was dying in this movie and may/may not be alive at the end, I'm pretty sure there would be a shit-ton of fan bitching if The Lizard killed Gwen instead of Green Goblin. Although, looking at the other side, George Stacy is supposed to be killed by Doc Ock, so who the hell knows?

Ted was a bit hit and miss with me, there were some scenes that were legitimately laugh-out-loud funny, and some that fell into the dark pit of what I would call "typical MacFarlane humor," where the joke feels disjointed from everything else going on (or the lead up to the joke felt shoehorned in.) As a whole, I thought it was a pretty funny movie, and there were some scenes that actually managed to have some emotional depth(!), leaving me pleasantly surprised. 7/10

Final Hunger Games movie "Mockingjay" to be split into two parts..

Honestly this is such a cash grab. Huge books like Harry Potter and The Hobbit, it's okay to split the final book.

However, for those who read this book, there isn't NEARLY enough story in this book to justify a splitter. (Unless they make each movie like 70 minutes...)

This and the final Twilight movie being split are just gigantic cash grabs and I'm scared all book series made into movies will go down this route as well

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saw Spider-Man and I must say, I enjoyed it far more than any of Tobey MacGuire's versions. The way they made Spidey a wise-cracking asshole was great. My only nitpick was that I thought Dr. Conners didn't retain his intelligence when he became the Lizard.

Honestly this is such a cash grab. Huge books like Harry Potter and The Hobbit, it's okay to split the final book.

However, for those who read this book, there isn't NEARLY enough story in this book to justify a splitter. (Unless they make each movie like 70 minutes...)

This and the final Twilight movie being split are just gigantic cash grabs and I'm scared all book series made into movies will go down this route as well
I am so disappointed by this. As far as reproducing the actual story goes, there's just no need to split Mockingjay. If anything, the only book I think would be EVER REMOTELY OKAY to split is Catching Fire -- and that would be pretty dumb since Pt. 1 would be pretty boring as a stand-alone film. Mockingjay's story is a single, continuous flow of events that reach ONE climax and pursue it determinedly all the way, moreso than Breaking Dawn or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which both have points in the middle where the plot breaks away and continues down a different path (Bella's transformation, Harry's new focus on the Deathly Hallows). I can't imagine how you could make the first half of Mockingjay entertaining as a movie. I enjoyed Mockingjay as a book, but you would go in expecting some major shit to go down and come out completely unsatisfied. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I enjoyed how faithful a reproduction the first movie was and fear that splitting a story in halves that is most decidedly not split in halves will destroy some of that.

My guess is they will split it around the point Peeta and Katniss reunite, but then the movie won't really have a solid ending, just a total cliffhanger... Maybe they won't want a feeling of resolution, so people go see the second film to get that closure, but that in itself is kind of unsettling. I don't like two-part movies when I watch the parts individually, but I recognise their necessity in the case of huge works, which Mockingjay isn't.

The books are all the same size and fairly evenly paced. I feel like the movies for Mockingjay will both suffer as a result of being separate, diminished halves of a book with the pacing Mockingjay has; it's going to be difficult to divide into equal parts. If anything, Mockingjay Pt. 1 will suffer harder from second book syndrome than Catching Fire (book) did.

At least the releases aren't going to take years between each.

at poppy's behest i watched the film mind game, by studio 4c

as someone who watches a lot of good movies and has only seen roughly a combined 15 hours of anime in his life (as a cognizant adult; i am not counting my dragon ball z days of yore) i can say with candor that this is one of the greatest, most important movies i have ever seen in my life, resting comfortably in my top 3 alongside funny games US and the holy mountain

if you do not spend most of the last thirty minutes wracked with some overwhelming emotion not yet lexicalized then i do not want to hang with you

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
rofl I loved guardians of the galaxy as a kid but they aren't exactly top-tier heroes deserving their own movie, esp when CAPTAIN MARVEL sinfully has not been given his own, DOUBLE esp because thanos is the villain

and hank pym is kind of a joke in both ultimate and main MU, they should have just omitted him unless they want ultron in Avengers 2

Thanos is probably going to be the main villain in Avengers 2 but if they want to keep the franchise open in the future, it's very possible that Ultron could be introduced in Ant-Man, leading to Avengers 3 which would focus more on the Kree/Skrull war

They're really doing that? Bad decision, if you ask me. I don't recall Mockingjay being any longer than The Hunger Games or Catching Fire, so where's the need to split? For a movie like Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows I can see why you'd split the final book, but in this case, not really. Cash grab indeed.

So The Dark Knight Rises is getting amazing reviews. It currently has a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I cannot wait!

@ebertchicago Rush thinks the "Dark Knight" villain is a liberal attack on Romney
Roger Ebert just tweeted.

Rush Limbaugh thinks that Bane is a thinly veiled analog of Bain Capital and, therefore, a Leftist attack on Romney. Because Nolan knew this would happen. Three years ago.

...yeah.

Also unrelated...but Finding Nemo 2 has been announced... Not sure if this is a good thing...

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just got back from Dark Knight Rises, and holy shit is it amazing. I realize the thread title says spoilers, but I really don't wanna post about the movie until a few more people have seen it.

it would be boring talking to nobody :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)