Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If you went to a superhero movie and then got mad because the character in the movie is based on a character from the 1940s, and really there aren't a whole lot of ways to do Red Skull other than "disfigured guy." Also if you don't like explosions, don't see an action movie? Steve Rogers is supposed to be a little skinny guy, and Bucky being his "cool friend" ended up being a lot better than if he'd just been bringing a twelve-year-old to fight armed Nazis. The way Captain America was made makes sense, and I think it is a good film.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok nerds you win... Avengers was a great movie

Honestly, I had no intention of watching this film at all. You know that feeling you get when you watch a trailer of a movie, and it doesn't mesh and you absolutely 0 desire to see it, and everyone around that prods to watch just makes it worse? Well that was avengers to me, and if it wasn't for my good for nothing friends, I probably never would have seen this film.

The film... where do I start. It's a fucking masterpiece. Yes, believe the hype the movie is THAT good. Part of what made the movie such a thrill was the characters themselves. Yes we have Iron Man / RDJ who is the obligatory "bestfunnycoolest" type character, but I also ended up really liking Captain America too. (and I HATE Captain America). He was legitimately a good leader, and practically indestructible. Banner was a fantastic character. Hulk is still a terrible character, with a terrible concept and I had to stifle a groan everytime that douchebag made an appearance, but man Banner was amazing. His new actor is leagues ahead of his old one. Black Widow was awesome. Here's a quiz, check try to find a description of her that didn't have the words "sexy & femme fatale." Honestly, she's way more than that; above everyone else Black Widow got shit done. I was biased against Thor from the get go (didn't even watch Thor / played to much Marvel vs Capcom 3 whereh e's a slack jawed idiot) but I was pleasantly surprised with the way he turned out. Hawekeye was good too, but not at all like his source character (cocky and overconfident). It wasn't a problem for me, but my friend was bitching about on the way home. Almost all of these characters matched and exceeded their source character for me.

Favorite scenes include
-The argument
-Iron Man's sacrifice
-ending clip #1: Thanos
-ending clip #2: At the shawarma joint.
-"I'm always mad"

I am aware of the hypocritical thread title yes

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't think you get to be cocky and overconfident after
being mind controlled and killing a dozen of your friends.
That's just good character handling there.

Actually, Hawkeye was better off straying from his source material. He was fantastic, likable, and badass in that movie when he turned back to the good side, and this is coming from someone who hates Hawkeye with a passion.

Avengers. Hooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy ssssssshhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt that was just... So fucking good. Please, someone make a GIF of Hulk throwing Loki around like a rag doll. There was not a single person who didn't go ballistic after that.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't think you get to be cocky and overconfident after
being mind controlled and killing a dozen of your friends.
That's just good character handling there.
Obviously things would have to change if that were the case; I probably should have made it clear that Hawekeye in this movie worked (hell he worked well, I really liked his arsenal in this film) but he wasn't 'Clint'. That's my opinion anyway.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
He seems to be based on Ultimates Hawkeye as opposed to 616 Hawkeye and he seems a faithful enough representation in that regard. Honestly anybody who enjoyed the Avengers absolutely owes it to themselves to go and read The Ultimates 1 and 2 by Mark Millar.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
He seems to be based on Ultimates Hawkeye as opposed to 616 Hawkeye and he seems a faithful enough representation in that regard. Honestly anybody who enjoyed the Avengers absolutely owes it to themselves to go and read The Ultimates 1 and 2 by Mark Millar.
Agreed

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Something completely unrelated to The Avengers - Intouchables. I don't know if it's shown in most American/British cinemas, since it's a French movie and all, but if you get the chance to go see it, do so. Honestly, you won't regret it one second. It's truly touching at times, and then the next minute absolutely hilarious. Better than The Avengers, if you ask me - and that says quite something.
So this isn't a 'The Avengers' thread after all? I was getting fed up reading it should be thought of as the "best movie of the year".

I agree entirely about Intouchables. It is a great movie and one of the best I've seen in the past months. I thought ridiculously sad that it was condemned by some dickhead american movie critic in Variety as being a "racist movie". It wasn't to my knowledge perceived this way in the country it originates from.

Call me a sucker for 'feel good stories', they seem to work even better when you know they are based on an actual true story.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
20:02 Texas "Hulk?" *grunt* Smash.

-theater goes nuts-

pretty much sums up what i thought about a movie that left me giggling in incomprehension at the sheer badassery that occurred at one point

Saw Dark Shadows, the new Tim Burton-Johnny Depp-colaboration, yesterday. It's not up there with Burton's remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it certainly isn't bad, although it feels kind of empty every now and then. Props to Johnny Depp for, yet again, playing a weird character, and pulling it off relatively well. Still, the movie takes more from its decors and atmosphere (both which are absolutely fantastic) than a strong story. Not the best Burton-Depp movie, but definitely better than a lot of shit you see in theatres today.

Oh, did I mention Chloé Moretz (also played Hit Girl in Kick-Ass) playing a role there too? Good move, Burton.

Excuse me for double posting, but I just watched The Dictator, thought I might share;

If you're easily offended, The Dictator is definitely not a movie for you. If you can take a joke, however, and like your humour as blunt as it gets, it's ideal. It's perhaps not as funny as Borat, but Sasha Baron Cohen, again, has pulled out some stupid archtype that is fun as long as it lasts.

Excuse me for double posting, but I just watched The Dictator, thought I might share;

If you're easily offended, The Dictator is definitely not a movie for you. If you can take a joke, however, and like your humour as blunt as it gets, it's ideal. It's perhaps not as funny as Borat, but Sasha Baron Cohen, again, has pulled out some stupid archtype that is fun as long as it lasts.
I'm not sure why Sacha Baron Cohen essentially plays the same character in every movie though. Borat was groundbreaking and new, and it was pretty good. Bruno was miserable. I'm not expecting much out of this one.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
An eastern European peasant is the same character as a gay Austrain fashion reporter, a middle eastern dictator, and by extension a white guy who thinks he is black? Somehow I don't think you entirely understand what a character is...

Dark Shadows was pretty good. A return to form for Burton really, like Beetlejuice meets Monster Squad.

About The Avenger I must say that is is a very interesting film, with many references abouth other film with other superheroes, the actors, well, robert downey jr is the one I liked the most (you may see that from mi avatar lol) really a great film.

I'm not sure why Sacha Baron Cohen essentially plays the same character in every movie though. Borat was groundbreaking and new, and it was pretty good. Bruno was miserable. I'm not expecting much out of this one.
You're sort of right I think, Sacha Baron Cohen will need to come up with something new soon, this trick is starting to wear off. I haven't seen Bruno completely, but in its absurdness, I think The Dictator was a lot like Borat. If you enjoyed that, you will probably this too.

An eastern European peasant is the same character as a gay Austrain fashion reporter, a middle eastern dictator, and by extension a white guy who thinks he is black? Somehow I don't think you entirely understand what a character is...

Dark Shadows was pretty good. A return to form for Burton really, like Beetlejuice meets Monster Squad.
I think Jebus meant that he plays the same kind of character; it's always an over-the-top character, created to make fun of something, while in the meantime giving a new look on it. The formula is starting to get old, though.

borat was funnier, but bruno was more poignant

as borat, baron cohen cleverly captured the ubiquitous xenophobia of post-9/11 america. there was no gay 9/11, yet as bruno he was able to expose more fear and hatred with less effort

i'm also a mite embittered by the adulation borat received from frat boys, thankfully i havent heard 'sexy time' in a couple years

Anybody have anything to say about Snow White + The Huntsman or Prometheus?

I've been thinking about seeing Prometheus but I've heard mixed reviews of it from my friends.

Definitely seeing Brave on the 23rd though.

I am really looking forward to The Amazing Spider Man. I always love Spider Man and hope this one makes the others incomparable to it. I was hoping they might get Spider Man in Avengers 2 but probably not due to legal issues.

I am really looking forward to The Amazing Spider Man. I always love Spider Man and hope this one makes the others incomparable to it. I was hoping they might get Spider Man in Avengers 2 but probably not due to legal issues.
I've just seen the trailer for Amazing Spiderman on TV.... already more excited over this film than its predecessor. Hopefully Garfield will wow us as Peter Parker, never really liked Toby Maquire's portrayal of the character.

Let me just say one thing; Piranha 3DD is terrible - but you probably knew that already. However, it's so terrible that it falls into a whole new category, which is a feat in itself. The director both deserves a huge kick in the groin, and a big-ass trophy for making Piranha 3DD. If you're planning on watching it, don't go in with any expectations; they won't be reached. However, if you go in expecting nothing, except for a good time and a storyline that is so thin you can see right through it, you're bound to have a good time - if boobs and gore are your things, that is.

i want to stray away from all this avengers talk... i saw men in black 3. it was alright, all the way until the end. then it became interesting.

7/10

It's astonishing that nobody has brought up Django Unchained yet. It's the next Tarantino movie about an escaped slave teaming up with a bounty hunter to rescue his wife from a sadistic plantation owner and it looks awesome.

I saw the Abe Lincoln Vampire Slayer movie today, and... it was... OK? Kinda. If you read the book, you would be disappointed, like I was. They took maybe, 2 or 3 scenes from the book, ripped out the book's plot, and put something else in. Plus, it was really jumpy at times. The good thing was the killing.

VERDICT: Sucks? If you haven't read the book, it might be a lot better for you.

TO vader: Henry, django, same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)