itt post things you dislike but other people love

Yeah, the purpose of my post wasn't to criticize anyone's taste, because obviously taste is subjective. It was more intended to possibly show people a side of genres they may have been missing.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Here we go in order of what comes to my head:
Oranges
Tumblr
Mustard
Beer
Pickles
Tomatoes
Modern Warfare 2
System of a Down
Tonic
Tablets(things like the iPad)
Jersey Shore

I saw some Pokemon stuff earlier too, no one likes BW OU and for some reason RU wasn't mentioned.

OH another thing, Trading Card Games, you have to either be lucky to get good cards in the first place or you need to have a good amount of money to burn. I'd rather just play video games where I just pay for the disc/download and don't need to worry about spending hundreds for a single piece of something.

i am of the opinion that progressive metal, and most progressive rock produced after the 1970's (save anything by Rush!) is boring as all hell, if not outright awful
king crimson had some success with Discipline but beat and three of a perfect pair were subpar to say the least
The token prog rock/prog metal bands that have emerged since the late 80's are just, as i see it, a bunch of kids who found dad's king crimson, yes, camel, rush, etc. etc. etc. records and decided they wanted to make music like that
what we ended up with is largely bands that try really really hard, but never achieve that powerful feeling delivered by so many 70's prog bands
I have never heard any moments like John Wetton belting out "Starless and Bible Black," or Jon Anderson in that triumphant, final "Close to the edge, down by a river" or any guitar solo that comes anywhere near anything Andrew Latimer, Steve Howe, or Robert Fripp have played
no percussionist i've ever heard can top Bill Bruford, no matter how they try
the only bands that come close are not exactly what i'd call "progressive rock" - the mars volta and dredg come to mind, and, while they do loosely fit the bill, they are, when it gets down to it, something else entirely

But porcupine tree? dream theater? opeth? all of these guys who are out producing music and have been since the late 80's/early 90's just don't cut it for me. There are some songs i've heard where i've thought "alright, this might actually get interesting" as it clearly builds towards something, but what the music is building toward isn't even remotely worthwhile. I don't deny that the majority of these bands are comprised of fairly talented musicians, and by no means am i calling the music "bad" - it's just more boring than watching paint dry. In the end, dream theater really just wishes they were Yes, porcupine tree wishes they were king crimson, and mikael akerfeldt has an enormous hardon for First Utterance.

I also generally dislike both metal and hip-hop music and if Tea Demon wants to call me an ignorant for it, I'll gladly do the same to everything he listed in his own post.
i'm sorry but if you think metal vocals are 100% screaming you are indeed ignorant. i would love to know exactly how this is screaming, i really would.
OH another thing, Trading Card Games, you have to either be lucky to get good cards in the first place or you need to have a good amount of money to burn. I'd rather just play video games where I just pay for the disc/download and don't need to worry about spending hundreds for a single piece of something.
you can play tcgs online and never have to worry about not having a playset of x.

Of course I'm ok with it. People like what they like, I'm not going to get mad about that lol.

EDIT: god damn it this is exactly what I worried would happen. Are we really arguing over something as subjective as music?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Carbonated beverages
Gum
Being a metal elitist (I mean, come on, they have their music and you have yours, correct them if they say something that's 100% false but otherwise stfu)
Anything that comes from a pig
Dogs
Using standards to define what I do
First-person shooters
Well-known music
Bad underground music

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
hey kids will you all just go ahead and shut the fuck up about music because nobody wants to hear your opinions either way. not that this was a particularly promising thread to begin with but you really aren't obliged to plough it further into the ground with your baseless snobbery.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
its like we cant have a thread without it derailing into shit

flat screen tvs, crts look so much nicer even if theyre bulky

While I no longer hate it, exactly, I initially had a difficult time figuring out The Picture of Dorian Gray (and I hated it my first readthrough), and my American middle class nerdy 2010's teenager tastes simply aren't as well connected to Oscar Wilde's era as Wilde himself. To this day I still don't have a 100% understanding of the book.

That being said, I'm a bit better acquainted with Wilde's style now, and I'm finding The Importance of Being Earnest much better so far.

there, back on topic.

Rap music. I... don't get it.

Dubstep. Don't get that either.

half the shit on spike tv seriously wtf

Sleeping until 2 PM and stuff. Why? What makes you need to sleep that late?

APPLE LAPTOPS (Powerbooks, whatever the hell they're called). Having an Apple desktop is fine, but Apple laptops are even more jacked up in price than the desktops...

COFFEE

MLP, I don't even understand how it got popular ?_?

Seafood. Shrimp especially. Shrimp is like, an underwater bug.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What the fuck?

Perhaps they also simply dislike it and mentionned it in a thread where you are meant to list things you dislike.

I also generally dislike both metal and hip-hop music and if Tea Demon wants to call me an ignorant for it, I'll gladly do the same to everything he listed in his own post.
Let me clarify my post.

I'm not condemning people who hate it. I'm just pointing out that people have misguided reasons for hating a certain genre of music. I get a lot of "Rap is terrible. It's lyrics have no meaning and it's all about booze and sex" or for Metal "It's all screaming and thrashing guitars senselessly" and it seems people are bandwagoning these opinions. I was just trying to show that a lot of peoples' hatred of certain genres of music, especially rap and metal, are there for the wrong reasons.

Other than that, music is subjective. Go wild.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
3D movies are utterly pointless. Same goes for 3D TVs actually.
Not if you have a PS3 and KillZone3. I guess. Still, too expensive so eh.

But 3D movies are a mere gimmick that will fade off in a few months/years. As long as they can't add any kind of content to a movie, Hollywood will give up on them once more, only to try to reuse it twenty years from now. In fact, I don't even think you should have mentioned it here lol, I don't know anyone that actually *likes* 3D movies, they go more for the gimmick (except for Avatar, that shit was well done) and to complain how it didn't change anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)