Other I've Got the Priority!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never realized it until the Crawdaunt thread was made, but Crawdaunt is another powerful new priority user. His Adaptability Aqua Jet hits harder than Azumarill's Huge Power Aqua Jet.

I was just thinking about priority. I played primarily UU last gen and thought "oh it must be an OU thing." A lot of the scary priority came from last gen. Lucario, Scizor, Breloom and Dragonite were all scary priority users. But now, looking at the list of new priority users I'm thinking "wow, there's quite a lot gen 6 related priority."

The one thing that sticks out most to me is how much of your priority list works in tandem with boosts. Talonflame forces so many things out that it gets easy SD boosts. Kanga gets a double boost with Power up Punch. SD is really common on Aegislash (arguable whether or not this is a good idea, but it's the thing I see the most). Azumarill also has a big-time boosting move to play with. How much of this priority spam has to do with it being powerful alongside attack boosts?

Never realized it until the Crawdaunt thread was made, but Crawdaunt is another powerful new priority user. His Adaptability Aqua Jet hits harder than Azumarill's Huge Power Aqua Jet.
Just finished IV Breeding and EV training my Crawdaunt yesterday and have been playing with him on Rating Battles. Nobody is expecting Crawdaunt to come in on their Blaziken or Talonflame and OHKO with a Banded Aqua Jet. Even opponents who do realize Crawdaunt is packing priority usually aren't prepared to handle him and get swept. I'd say he's as solid or better than Azumarill as a revenge killer/pseudo-sweeper.

Just finished IV Breeding and EV training my Crawdaunt yesterday and have been playing with him on Rating Battles. Nobody is expecting Crawdaunt to come in on their Blaziken or Talonflame and OHKO with a Banded Aqua Jet. Even opponents who do realize Crawdaunt is packing priority usually aren't prepared to handle him and get swept. I'd say he's as solid or better than Azumarill as a revenge killer/pseudo-sweeper.
The problem with playing Wifi is that you're limited to 3 mons, not a whole team to pick and choose an answer from. Adaptability Crawdaunt is a beast, I'm sure, but there are more answers to it than say a Belly Drum Azumarill with its worse typing. Overall, an Azumarill will be scaring someone's team rather than a Crawdaunt, who will likely be scaring some of the enemy team but will be answered by something else on their team. Heck, even Belly Drum Azumarill's Waterfall does tons of damage to a Ferrothorn, something Crawdaunt can't do quite as well.

One rule of thumb I have is that if you don't have at least two priority users you are doing something wrong and having four is just an insurance policy

Acrobatics has 110 BP. Brave Bird has 120 BP, boosted to an effective 144 by Sharp Beak. That's a 30% increase.

So, while I don't know exactly what, I'd safely say "a lot of things".
What you're telling me is that it lands many more important ohkos and 2hkos?

How about before arguing about acrobatics, you actually find out where to get a flying gem in gen 6?

on topic, i do think it will be funny if people start talking about speed brackets within priority (like needing enough speed to outspeed talonflame's brave bird with an aqua jet)

Who are these mons are are defeated by brave bird but not acrobatics?
Adamant Talonflame 252+ Atk Sky Plate (custom) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 228-268 (56.43 - 66.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Adamant Talonflame 252+ Atk Life Orb (custom) Acrobatics (110) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumaril): 226-266 (55.94 - 65.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Life Orb is to simulate the 1.3 boost of Flying Gem)
Adamant Talonflame 252+ Atk (custom) Acrobatics (110) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 174-205 (43.06 - 50.74%) -- 96.88% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Now after a SD.

Adamant Talonflame +2 252+ Atk Sky Plate (custom) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 453-534 (112.12 - 132.17%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Adamant Talonflame +2 252+ Atk Life Orb (custom) Acrobatics (110) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 450-530 (111.38 - 131.18%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Adamant Talonflame +2 252+ Atk (custom) Acrobatics (110) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 346-408 (85.64 - 100.99%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is just for Azumarill. So yes, unless my calcs are wrong, a Sky Plate Brave Bird is pretty much the same as a Flying Gem Acrobatics. However, the Brave Bird stays powerful, while the Acrobatics shows a noticeable loss in power after the first Acrobatics.

I'd take the safe way and deal as much damage as possible with Brave Bird. If you're worried about recoil, there's always Roost.

Edit: BTW, is there a 6th gen damage calculator yet? I just used the 5th gen one and pretty much had to customize everything. Kinda annoying.

Last edited:
...And what about the stall teams? They probably have one priority user, if any at all.
You are probably right but a couple issues with that is that one stall teams are not nearly as relevant as they used to be because oI the offensive nature of this meta game and stall tends to lack an offensive backbone And fall prey to sweepers. And the only place that I really saw stall was on weather teams and we all know that weather stall is a thing of the past. So to answer your question in the most long winded way possible yes stall doesn't always need two priority user but stall isn't a big option for teams (I do admit though that there are really good stall teams its just they aren't really many good one anymore) although maybe putting more priority on a stall team might do the dying stall statagy some good

You are probably right but a couple issues with that is that one stall teams are not nearly as relevant as they used to be because oI the offensive nature of this meta game and stall tends to lack an offensive backbone And fall prey to sweepers. And the only place that I really saw stall was on weather teams and we all know that weather stall is a thing of the past. So to answer your question in the most long winded way possible yes stall doesn't always need two priority user but stall isn't a big option for teams (I do admit though that there are really good stall teams its just they aren't really many good one anymore) although maybe putting more priority on a stall team might do the dying stall statagy some good
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stall.3490051/

The problem with playing Wifi is that you're limited to 3 mons, not a whole team to pick and choose an answer from. Adaptability Crawdaunt is a beast, I'm sure, but there are more answers to it than say a Belly Drum Azumarill with its worse typing. Overall, an Azumarill will be scaring someone's team rather than a Crawdaunt, who will likely be scaring some of the enemy team but will be answered by something else on their team. Heck, even Belly Drum Azumarill's Waterfall does tons of damage to a Ferrothorn, something Crawdaunt can't do quite as well.
Knock Off can 2HKO Ferrothorn, no probs. And it will take a Brave Bird (even Banded, mine lived with 1 HP) before going down (or maybe I'm only facing Talonflames with shitty IVs) and OHKOes with Aqua Jet, Crabhammer, or Knock Off, any of the three moves you're likely to be choice-locked into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)