Jubilife TV & Films Recommendations

RossW

formerly TerraWard19

Amazing artwork by LifeisDANK, thread approved by our comrade and leader, ant.

Welcome to the Jubilife TV & Films room recommendations thread!

We will be updating this with new recommendations every Sunday at 7 PM EDT.

The recommendations come from our room voices and staff, each member will submit a new recommendation every week. The recommendations will be formatted like the following example.

Our previous Staff Recs list.

#1: PS! Username
#2: The title of their TV Show/Film rec.
#3: The genre in which the recommendation belongs to. Sub-genres are also acceptable.
#5: An description to go with their recommendation. These can consist of why they like the show, their favorite parts, etc.

Last edited:

RossW

formerly TerraWard19
TVBF Recommendations for the week of June 24th - June 30th

Movies
#Kamran Laker
Film: Inside Llewyn Davis
Genre: Drama/Music(not musical)
Film Description: This movie is almost too realistic to be a movie. It follows none of the conventional "rules" and there is no winner or hero.
There's no drama. There's no "silver lining". There's only struggle. This is a film for the everyday folk; a beautiful empathetic look at art, music, and everyday struggle.

#Aelita
Film: Breaking In (2018)
Genre: Thriller
Description: This movie is a new release this week (5/11 weekend) and stars Gabrielle Union as a mother who goes to her father's house (which is essentially a mansion with security of a fortress)
to look it over before she sells it, but four robbers break in and hold her kids hostage looking for something.
It's one of those movies where you go "holy crap" the whole time because there's so many moments where you're holding your breath. It's honestly an amazing thriller-action and has a really interesting plot. Definitely worth a watch.

@RossW
Film: Gloria (1980)
Genre: Mobster/Crime Thriller
Film Description: If you enjoyed watching Thief, The Godfather trilogy or any movie similar to those then you'll love Gloria. The cast isn't your typical mobster film with the majority of the time spent following a 40 something year old mistress and a 7 year old boy whose father was an accountant for the mob.
The director John Cassavetes actually hired former mob hitman to consult with him on some of more gritty details in the movie to accurately portray the roles.

%Czim
Film: Boy and The World (2013)
Genre: Animation, Adventure
Film Description: Boy and the World is a brazilian animated film that was made with a mix of drawing, painting and digital animation. It was nominated for an Academy Award in 2016 in best animated feature.
The story follows a little boy in a quest in search of his father.

+Jaqen H'ghaar
Film: Law Abiding Citizen
Genre: Thriller/Drama
Description: The U.S. Justice System is not perfect. It operates on the notion that it is better to let a guilty man go free than to let an innocent person be locked up in chains. The main character (Clyde) in the movie encounters a difficult situation where his family is murdered and the killer makes a deal to circumvent his way to a lesser sentence.
Clyde feels that the legal system has failed him and he will take it upon himself to achieve justice on his own accord. This movie is ideal for someone who wants to watch a hypothetical situation to the extent of what an individual would do to gain relief. Each character in the movie makes their own choices for their own personal benefit, but it is not without any consequences.

+Yackback
Recommendation: Paddington 2 (2017 in the UK, 2018 in the US)
Genre: Comedy, Adventure, Family
Description: Currently sitting at the highest unadjusted Tomatometer percentage ever with 193 positive reviews and 0 negative reviews, director Paul King's follow up to the almost as acclaimed original is my personal favorite of 2018, and seriously in the running for my favorite of all time.
It's hilarious, uplifiting, beautiful, and is already rightfully being said in the same words as the Empire Strikes Back or Mad Max when talking about the best sequels ever. It's basically perfect.

+ronald15
Rec: Phantom Thread (2017)
Genre: Dram/Crime
Description: This movie is personally my favorite from last year and is the last film for Daniel Day Lewis. He has one of his best performances in this film around the concept of love. The film is one of director Paul Thomas Anderson’s best films (in my opinion) and kept me enthralled throughout the whole picture.
The concept of love is definitely an interesting one that is best to be described when putting two almost completely different personalities together. The score was brilliant by Johnny Greenwood as always and made the picture even better. Overall, if looking for a great picture to watch, Phantom Thread hits the spot, even if you know nothing about the tailoring business. Love is all you need.

Shows

@Arrested
Rec: How I Met Your Mother
Genre: Sitcom / Rom-Com
Desc: This honestly one of my favorite all time shows, it's such a fun story to follow that has such an interesting intricate plot that takes you all over the place. I just finished my 6th or 7th rewatch and I haven't gotten tired of it yet.
The characters are fun, they have depth, and overall great. Love this show, I recommend it to anyone.

+ImmaFirinMahLazer
Rec: Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Tv Show)
Genre: Comedy
Description: A brilliant cop comedy, I consider it scrubs but with cops. Its created by Dan Goor (Parks & Rec) and Michael Schur (The Office, Good Place, Parks & Rec) and stars an amazingly funny cast of Andy Samberg, Andre Braugher, Stephanie Beatriz, Terry Crews, Melissa Fumero, Joe Lo Truglio, Chelsea Peretti, Dirk Blocker, and Joel McKinnon Miller.
It tackles important issues well, while not seeming preachy and it hits you with laughs each episode multiple times. It sadly just got cancelled, #SaveBrooklyn99. Update: NBC PICKED IT UP

%Lucy The Valiant
Rec:The Walking Dead
Genre: Horror/Drama
Description: About a former sheriff named rick grimes who was shot in the line of duty only to awaken to find the world full of flesh eating creatures. Along the way he meets many survivors who he tries to survive and bonds with. Great Zombie show, Can get boring at times but is still probably 1 of my favourite shows to this day!

Last edited:

RossW

formerly TerraWard19
TVBF Recommendations for the week of July 1st - July 7th

Movies

#Saburo
Movie: The Raid: Redemption
Genre: Action, Thriller
Description: One of the best martial art films I've seen in a long time. A S.W.A.T. team becomes trapped in an thirty-story apartment building filled with people who are instructed by a merciless drug lord to kill any cops who show up. While the premise of the story is simple, and doesn't offer real plot twists it was still entertaining to see how everything unfolded because I really couldn't guess what was going to happen next. But the real beauty of this film is the non-stop action, and intense fight scenes. The martial arts in this movie goes BEYOND a lot of classic martial art films that I've seen. The choreography is fast, and super brutal. There's a variety of weapons involved in each fight scene, not just fists the entire time. I guarantee your jaw will drop at some point due to how well the movie delivers the action.

@ RossW
Movie: The Man From Nowhere
Genre: Crime, Thriller
Description: This movie was South Korea's highest earning film in 2010, the english dub isn't the greatest so I strongly recommend you watch it with english subtitles. The stars of the film are a younger pawn shop owner and a 10 year old girl in a poorer part of town littered with crime. This movie just pulls you in and leaves you feeling satisfied at the end with nothing left in the air hanging.

+ImmaFirinMahLazer
Film: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Description: A brilliant comedy starring John C. Reilly parodying music biopics. Featuring an amazing supporting cast of Jenna Fischer, Kristen Wilg, Tim Meadows, Chris Parnell and many others. With actually well written songs and a great performance by Reilly this is a great watch.

+Yackback
Film: City of God
Genre: Crime, Drama
Description: City of God, a story based on a book about the titular favela in Rio de Janeiro and it's extremely high poverty and crime rates, became an instant cultural sensation when it first came out—causing comments from the president at the time while setting box office records and spawning a TV show based off of it. This is for good reason, as Fernando Mereilles and Katia Lund's work is one of my favorite films this century. The editing (especially during the opening scene) and cinematography, to the narrator Rocket, to the complex and interweaving story of the City of God; this is worth a watch. Luckily, the crime rate in the favela has dropped since the making of the film, but the poverty and hunger rates are still high.

+Halliday
Film: King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
Genre: Documentary
Description: King of Kong is a documentary about the struggle between two people for the Donkey Kong world record. It takes place as player Steve Weibe manages to beat an 18 year old world record set by Billy Mitchell and showcases the struggles he goes through to get his score recognized. Featuring unique and interesting people, the documentary gives an inside view on the community of arcade gamers, and shows the obsession they have with those games.

Shows

@ Bill Trinen
TV: Person of Interest
Genre: Science-Fiction, Drama, Mystery
Description: Ever wonder what life would be like if we were being watched by an artificial intelligence system that was sanctioned by the Government post-9/11? How would an artificial intelligence system deal with crimes if it was able to accurately predict who the victim(s) and perpetrator(s) are? Wonder no more as you get to see Harold Finch and John Reese dealing with the intricacies of the Machine as they'll have to deduce if the person is a criminal or a victim. Don't be fooled by the typical CBS procedural format of the show Beyond the science-fiction elements, the real beauty lies in the transformation of Harold Finch and John Reese, as well as the show's mythology expanding to new heights that would be best reserved if you experienced it as opposed to me describing it.

%Czim
TV Show: Santa Clarita Diet
Genre: Dark Comedy
Description: Very good netflix show starring Drew Berrymore and Timothy Olyphant about a suburban family dealing with the mother sudden crave for human flesh, leading to some hilarious and disgusting situations. I highly recommend it if you're into this kind of stuff

%Lucy the Valiant
TV: Criminal Minds
Genre: Crime, Drama & Mystery
Description: Criminal Minds is about a group of Elite Profilers who analyse the nations most dangerous killers and tries to capture them before they strike again. Is a very good Police Procedural show, probably my favourite. If you like Crime Drama and FBI related shows then this show is definitely for you. If you love shows with a lot of killing and a lot of blood/gore i'll also recommend this show. My favourite parts of Criminal Minds is most likely the ending of each episode when the BAU team catch or kill the killer. I also like the parts where the unsub kills his/her victims.

+ryyjyywyy
TV: its always sunny in philadelphia
Genre: sitcom
Description: good stuff imo watch

+Jaqen H'ghaar
TV: Prison Break
Genre: Drama, Thriller
Description: After being falsely convicted of an assassination, the character is sentenced to prison and has been given a death sentence for his crime. However, his younger brother devises a plan to break him out of prison. This is one of my favorite shows because of how suspenseful each scene can be. There are 5 seasons of this show, and perhaps season 1 and 2 are the best.

Books

#Aelita
Book: Annihilation, by Jeff Vandermeer
Genre: Fiction, Science Fiction, Adventure, Fantasy

Description: The inspiration for the actually quite good movie, Jeff Vandermeer’s version of Annihilation is quite different from what the movie is. The book is much deeper, much better. In it, the psychologist (played by Natalie Portman in the movie) is unnamed, as are the rest of the group. They have to investigate a strange shimmer in a certain area that no one has returned from, and they have very little information about it. The book focuses around a topographical anomaly in this area which the psychologist calls a tower, that has living writing on the walls. It’s a fascinating first book of a trilogy and solidly worth reading for fans of the fiction/science fiction genre.

+Ronald15
Book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Genre: Fantasy
Description: If you've read the series, it's one of the best books in it. It has some of the best foreshadowing and foreboding. JK Rowling knows how to write. She leads you into the wizarding world and it feels like magic. If you haven't touched the books and just seen the movies or haven't at all, this is a must read.

Last edited:

RossW

formerly TerraWard19
TVBF Recommendations for the week of July 8th - July 14th

Movies

#Kamran Laker
Film: Before Sunrise
Genre: Romance, Drama
Description: Richard Linklater's romantic drama is an unconventional telling of what I'd say is a dream come true for most people. The film portrays romance in all it's glory, but without any of the pitfalls that befall most couples. The film is about two people that have a relationship that's as close to perfection as relationships will ever come to - with just one problem, the problem of time. All in all it's simultaneously beautiful and captivating.

#Aelita
Film: Sanju
Genre: Biography, Bollywood, Action, Emotional, Drama
Description: Sanju is about one of Bollywood's most famous actors, Sanjay Dutt, his life, his relationship with his father, and his use (and misuse) of drugs and his charge of involvement in a terrorist attack that took place in Mumbai, India. Even if this is a Bollywood movie, I highly recommend everyone watch it. It's emotionally charged and the main actor portrays Sanjay Dutt amazingly. Honestly this is one of the best Bollywood movies to come out of India recently, and it even broke records for the highest single-day gross of an Indian movie, breaking Baahubali 2's record (I'll do a review about this some other week). Definitely a movie to watch at least once, and you do not have to understand Hindi to watch it; just do it with subtitles.

+Yackback
Film: Oh Hello on Broadway
Genre: Play, Comedy
Description: Nick Kroll and John Mulandey's Oh Hello Show comes to Broadway on Netflix with the release of Oh Hello on Broadway, a meta play featuring fourth wall breaking fun, Matthew Broderick, and a terrible stage manager. I hope you like tuna.

Books
@ RossW
Book: The Martian
Genre: Sci-Fi
Description: It reads like a journal for the first good half of the book, wish there were more books like it with a similar narrative writing since I really enjoyed it. The writer consulted with countless different professionals while making the book to make it as lifelike as possible. Good amount of comedy mixed in with one of the worst situations someone can find themselves in. It was Andy Weir's debut novel.

Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can’t improve on duct tape.
%Czim
Book: Maus
Genre: Comic
Desc: One of the best stories on the holocaust i've ever read, this comic from pulitzer winner Art Spiegelman is sure to make you feel dem feels, I cant recommend it more

Last edited:

RossW

formerly TerraWard19
TVBF Recommendations for the week of July 15th - July 22nd

Movies

#Aelita
Film: Baahubali 2: The Conclusion
Genre: Epic, Story-Rich, Worldbuilding, Sequel, Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Mythology
Description: This movie is S. S. Rajamouli's second movie. It follows on the story of Baahubali: The Beginning, about a young man who finds out that he's the son of an extremely famous and popular king (played also by him), whose family was exiled by his tyrant stepbrother who rules the kingdom of Mahishmati with an iron fist. We find out from the last movie that he was killed by his faithful servant who was bound by generations to obey the king. The combination of worldbuilding, storytelling and unbelievable set design and stunts makes this a fantastic epic to watch that's set in a mythological world. It was so popular, shows were being sold out within a minute of the ticket sales going live for weeks on end, even in America. It elevated the main character Prabhaas to almost-godhood in India. This series is on US Netflix with English subtitles. Give it a watch!

#Kamran Laker
Film: The Way Way Back
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Description: One of the most touching coming-of-age films in recent years, blends comedy, drama and emotion very well. The cast all around is solid. Most notably to me is now Oscar Winner Sam Rockwell who plays a spirited water park employee. The script is well done and it includes a perfect balance of comedy and tear-jerking drama. It leaves the audience feeling not only completely satisfied but warm and emotional.

%Czim
Movie: The Great Mouse Detective
Genre: Animation
Description: One of Disney's canon lesser known animated classics, this underrated gem from the 80s follows Basil, a Sherlock Holmes kind of rat, helping a little mouse reunite with her father. It also contains one of Disney's best villains, Professor Ratigan!

+Yackback
Film: Baby Driver
Genre: Crime, Drama
Description: Baby Driver is a movie from Edgar Wright, director of the Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, and the World’s End). It’s a movie showing the power of music, as almost everything is synced with it - from the action to the talking to the driving. The soundtrack is almost the length of the movie, and fits it really well as it should for a movie of this type. It’s really good.

Shows

@ RossW
Show: Code Black
Genre: Medical drama
Description: Are you sick of all the drama in Grey's Anatomy where each episodes consists of 95% relationship or family drama and only mediocre medical related segments? Then Code Black is a good show for you. This show is pretty accurate to how real life hospitals are, it has good actors and is overall entertaining.

+Ronald15
TV: Community
Description: A great show about meeting new people especially when they don't share common interests. Such a great comedy about a study group in college that goes on adventures and explores life in various ways through their different various minds. Gets a little worse near the later seasons. But the early ones are great.

RossW

formerly TerraWard19
TVBF Recommendations for the week of July 22nd - July 29th

Movies

#Aelita
Film: 3 Idiots
Genre: Comedy, Adventure, Musical, Story-Rich, Friendship, Flashback
Description: One of the best Indian movies to ever grace Indian (or Western) cinema. This movie is one I recommend to everyone and anyone that wants to watch a Bollywood movie. It follows the story of Farhan, one member of a group of 3 - Farhan, Rancho, Raju. Rancho disappears after college, and the story is about finding him again, told through flashbacks to college and showing how and why Rancho was such an influential person in their lives. It is heartwarming, hilarious, and one of the director's (Aamir Khan) best movies. It's tense at times but in all the right bits. It's so good my parents went twice to watch it in the cinema - and they never go to the cinema.

%Lucy The Valiant
Film: Gifted
Genre: Drama
Desc: About an intelligent 7 year old who becomes involved in a custody battle between her uncle and her grandmother. I enjoyed the film. don't know what else to say but yeah, i recommend this lol

+Yackback
Film: Your Name
Genre: Anime
Description: First off, I don't really watch anime. Saying this might draw some hate, but I'm just being honest. I haven't really seen a single episode of anything anime related, except for this and some pokemon. Now the highest grossing movie in Japanese history, Your Name is, well, good, very good. I'd talk about the plot and characters, but it's better to go in blind. Besides, I bet most of you know something about its plot anyways.

+Ryyjyywyy
Film: Major Payne
Description: Great movie

Shows

%czim
Show: Glow
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Wrestling
Description: Fun and heartwarming netflix show that follows struggling actress Ruth Wilder (Alison Brie) as she auditions and performs for a women's wrestling show called GLOW. It also follows the life of the rest of the cast and crew off the show.

Books

@ RossW
Book: The Maze Runner Series
Genre: Young Adult, Post-Apocalyptic
Description: The Maze Runner was able to grab my attention and hold it throughout the whole book, an amazing book that makes you bond with the characters for the most part. Never had an empty moment or anything that could’ve been considered pointless filler. The Fever Code (while repetitive at times) is the best prequel I have ever read or seen, hands down. The Fever Code is a MUST read if you ever finish even just The Maze Runner. The movies serve the books no justice at all, if you watched the movies and weren't a fan of them, please give the books a chance.

+Ronald15
Book: Ender's game
Desc: It's about a kid who is tasked with surviving a fight he's not supposed to win by discovering friends and new ways to win. In the future, if we were to change everything so that it would make things simpler and not seem like reality, is it worth the cost. If it means doing things that impact larger points? One of my favorite books.

And congrats to Call of Winter for earning room voice!

Last edited:

RossW

formerly TerraWard19
TVBF Recommendations for the week of July 29th - August 4th

Movies

%czim
Movie: The Breadwinner
Genre: Animation, Drama
Description: In 2001, Afghanistan is under the control of the Taliban. When her father is captured, a determined young girl disguises herself as a boy in order to provide for her family. This stunning animation was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Movie this year, and it definitely deserves all the praise it's been getting. It has amazing visuals, a compelling but sad story and great characters. Check it out especially if you like animated movies!

+CallOfWinter
Movie: The Garden of Words (Kotonoha no Niwa)
Genre: Romance, Drama, Animation
Description: One of my personal favourite anime movies that I recently re-watched. If you're uncomfortable with the idea of a romance between a teenager and an older woman to the point that you think it would ruin any movie, this isn't the movie for you. That being said, the movie centres around a teenage boy and a older woman as they help each other to grow as they continue to spend more time together in a park on rainy days and the romance that comes as a result. The visuals and music in this movie are stunning and the plot is extremely well handled, making the characters seem a lot less aged and, in my opinion, making the romance feel a lot less awkward due to the big age gap. I honestly recommend this movie to absolutely anyone who enjoys animated movies though, it is absolutely worth the watch for the visuals and music alone.

Shows

#Aelita
TV: Sacred Games
Genre: Crime, Mystery, Dark, Drama, Action., Adventure
Description: One of the best Netflix Original shows I've watched to date. Yes, it is on Netflix! It follows a small-time cop named Sartaj in the corrupt city of Mumbai, India. He gets a call from a mob boss/gangster who disappeared for over a decade and claims he knows his father. This leads him through a trip down Mumbai's underworld and areas of corruption doing all he can to get to the bottom of the mystery. A lot of the story is told through how the mob boss (his name is Gaitonde) got to where he was, and how, overlaid with the current events - why did Gaitonde call Sartaj specifically? What do all the other side stories have to do with Gaitonde? What will happen to Sartaj while he's investigating the clues and the mystery Gaitonde left for him? Why is all this happening? All of these the show attempts to answer. It is one of the first Indian shows to hit top 25 all time shows on IMDb, and after watching all 8 episodes (yes there are only 8 episodes!) in a single sitting I can honestly recommend this as a must-watch.

#Saburo
TV: Firefly
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi
Description: Easily one of the best Sci-Fi shows within the last few decades. It's set five hundred years in the future, where a renegade crew try to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade authority agents out to get them. That entire world, it draws you in from the beginning. The casting was on point, and it's very witty as well as suspenseful. The entire production was also very impressive, it did not focus on high budget effects or acting but instead focused on entertaining/refreshing concepts with well-presented characters. It has a sense of surrealism, and mystery which makes it one of my favorite shows of all time. It's only 14 episodes, and then there is a movie that goes with the series. It's short, but what a ride it will take you on.

#Kamran Laker
Show: Big Little Lies
Description: This is a very entertaining, fun, and short journey. The casting is perfect - Reese Witherspoon as Madeline (the perfectionist mom), Shailene Woodley as Jane (the young single mom) and Nicole Kidman as Celeste (the perfect housewife). They play three very unalike moms living at a wealthy area in California. Everyone is dealing with different issues while some are bigger than others. The story takes an excellent tempo, which brings with it suspense, conclusions and all sorts of affection or dislike to the characters. If you want a short series to watch this is a very good option.

@ Bill Trinen
TV: Better Call Saul
Description: Got a boring summer? Got an everlasting backlog of media and can't seem to figure out what to watch? Look no further, here's the origins of a sleazeball lawyer that you all loved in Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul tells the story of Saul Goodman's origins as Jimmy McGill, and his journey of balancing legal matters with his good ol' Slippin' Jimmy antics. Perhaps the greatest quality of the show is something it has in common with Breaking Bad: beneath its fan-service goodness and legal drama tropes, lies a show with great characters (especially the antagonist!), unexpected character development, and overall a fantastic story. With Season 4 on the horizon, it's definitely worth taking a look at this show, and seeing how Saul Goodman fights for Albuquerque. Better Call Saul!

@ RossW
TV: Homeland
Genre: Drama, Thriller, Political
Description: Currently filming it's 8th season, starring Claire Daines, Rupert Friend and Mandy Patinkin. This show is one of my favorites, most of the series is centered around the CIA, terrorist plots and other events. It was the first U.S. series to film a complete season in Berlin, Germany.

Books

+Halliday
Book: 1984
Genre: Sci-Fi, Dystopian
Description: In 1984, London is not a part of England, but Airstrip One, a dystopian society where even thinking the wrong things about the government can get you killed. It focuses on the life of a man who has grown up hating the people in charge and surviving despite that as he finally starts to establish some control in his life. Although it was one of the most influential books of all time, that is not the reason to read it - you should read it because it's great!

Last edited:

RossW

formerly TerraWard19
TVBF Recommendations for the week of August 5th - August 12th

Movies

#Aelita
Film: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
Genre: Romance, Story, Musical
Description: WHO DOESN'T LOVE ABBA FIGHT ME IRL. The musical installment of the hit 2008 Mamma Mia movie doesn't fail to charm with its amazing renditions of ABBA's best musical hits: Waterloo, Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen, and many other star songs tell the story of young Donna (Played by Meryl Streep in the first movie) and how she ended up on the island of Kalokairi in Greece taking care of a villa, and her three lovers and eventual daughter. It also guest stars Cher who sings "Fernando" to Andy Garcia for crying out loud. It's just really entertaining and hard to stop jiving out to ABBA's beats while watching this movie. The first movie is on Netflix!

#Kamran Laker
Film: Garden State
Genre: Romantic Comedy Drama
Description: This film isn't exactly a coming of age movie. It's directly about going through life, however, not realizing why you're living it. The movie was a big surprise to me with both the directing and acting. Zach Braff had by far the biggest role in the film as he was the director, writer, and lead actor who worked very well at all three parts. Natalie Portman stole the show. She plays a free-spirited lady who shows him around and how to have fun in his life. One thing that stood out to me was the whole soundtrack. It lifts the atmosphere up, as it is not relegated to the background like many different film scores are. The movie doesn't have a big budget or huge storyline but it does have some amazing messages and is a great ride!

%czim
Movie: The Witch or The VVitch: A New-England Folktale (original title) (2015)
Genre: Horror/Mystery
Description: A family in 1630s New England is torn apart by the forces of witchcraft, black magic and possession.
Few movies I've watched in my lifetime gave me the creeps this movie gave me, and I'm a big sucker for horror films. If you're more into psychological horror than cheap jump scares, this movie is for you. Watch it!

Shows

+CallOfWinter
TV: Futarama
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Sci-Fi
Description: A lot of comedy sitcoms fall short for me, making me laugh very little and ultimately just being kind of boring; Futurama does not fall into that lot. Every episode of this show that I have watched has made me laugh multiple times. The characters are great and don't feel completely shallow and there are a number of emotional scenes that are actually written and integrated very well. The animation style isn't completely to my personal tastes but that's not to say it's bad because it does still do its job, it's not ugly to look at. A solid watch for anyone who has time to burn and wants good comedy.

Books

+ryyjyywyy

Book: cliffords first day of school
Genre: great book
Description: amazing af book read rn

TVBF Recommendations for the week of August 13th - August 19th

Movies

%Lucy The Valiant
Film: [REC]
Genre: Horror, Zombie
Description: Great zombie film, enjoyed it a lot even though it's in spanish. If you're a fan of the zombie genre then i recommend this film. it's on netflix btw. the last time i checked anyway

Shows

#Kamran Laker
Show: The Handmaid's Tale
Genre: Drama, Suspense, Utopian and dystopian fiction
Description: THIS is a real horror story that can't keep you away from watching. This is a series that shows what could happen if women's rights were to disappear or get taken away. You'll see some extreme scenes but considering what the plot is makes it realistic. The show is certainly not a pleasant watch often but it's absolutely worth it. Elisabeth Moss is the heart and soul of the show and deserves every award she wins without a doubt. I would go as far to say that this is the greatest drama show of all time with the lead being a female. Ann Dowd somehow can make you hate her more than anyone in the world and then proceeds to make you feel bad for her at times. The rest of the cast is very good as well too. This is a must watch end of story.

+jaqenhghaar
Show: 12 Monkeys
Genre: science-fiction, mystery, drama
Description: The year is 2043 and the world is plagued with an incurable virus by a group known as the '12 Monkeys'. Over 7 billion people have died and the future for the human race isn't promising. In order to have a fighting chance to save the existence of humans, James Cole is set to go back in time in an attempt to prevent the virus from spreading. If you enjoy a show that involves time travels, this could be for you.

+ryyjyywyy
Show: The Office US
Genre: Funny
Description: Greatest show ever

Books

+CallOfWinter
Book: Angels & Demons
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Description: The first in the Robert Langdon series of books by Dan Brown and honestly one of his best novels that I've read. I watched the movie as a kid and the movie did not do the book justice at all. The characters are interesting, the mystery is intriguing, the relationships are nicely handled and all-round the book is captivating. I would solidly recommend this to anyone who wants a new mystery novel to read.

Last edited:
TVBF Recommendations for the week of August 20th - August 26th

Movies

%Lucy The Valiant
Film: Matilda
Genre: Magic, Comedy
Description: Fun movie to watch, I've seen it hundreds of times. It's about a young girl with psychic powers and she has a nasty school principal. If you like a good comedy film, then I recommend this!

%Czim
Film: Mr Holmes
Genre: Drama, Mystery
Description: This movie follows an old Sherlock Holmes (portrayed brilliantly by Ian McKellen) trying to remember the details of his last case, while struggling with dementia. He also befriends a fan, the young son of his housekeeper, who wants him to work again. All in all, I'd recommend this movie to pretty much anyone, either they know a lot about Sherlock Holmes or not.

+Yackback
Film: Hero
Genre: Martial Arts
Description: Jet Li stars in this movie from 2004 about a nameless warrior who has defeated three of China's most dangerous heroes. Featuring some amazing shots and cinematography/color up there with The Fall, as well as the acting Donnie Yen (Rogue One, Ip Man) and Maggie Cheung (In the Mood for Love), and finally some of the most off the walls fighting out there, Hero is a great movie that isn't popular enough yet.

#Aelita
Film: Gold
Genre: Historical, Bollywood, Story, Drama, British Rule
Description: This recently released Bollywood movie tells the story of the Indian field hockey team and their competing for the first time as free India after winning for three consecutive Olympics as British India. They face lots of hurdles, such as the fact that the whole original team dissolved, everyone living apart, lack of funds, and the main hurdle being their disgraced manager who had taken to shady jobs and was a drunkard. It is the story of how they overcame all the obstacles, including the partition separating India and Pakistan, and the anti-Muslim riots. It is an exciting film to watch and makes you feel good nearing the end because the effort they put in to reach the coveted Olympic Gold as free India.

Shows

+ryyjyywyy
Show: Futurama
Genre: Funny
Description: Best show ever

TVBF Recommendations for the week of August 26th - September 2nd

Movies

#Aelita
Movie: Crazy Rich Asians
Genre: Romantic Comedy, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Story, International
Description: An extremely interesting release to cinema last week, Crazy Rich Asians tells the story of a young normal New York University Economics professor who finds out that her boyfriend is actually among the richest Asians in the world (her boyfriend did not disclose this) on what she thought was a vacation trip to Singapore to go to his friend's wedding. There she has to deal with his family not accepting her as she is a commoner and they are affluent rich people. It's really entertaining and cute and funny to watch and I wasn't really bored any time. It is also interesting that this got a super wide release while being a fairly international film, which in itself marks an achievement. All in all, a cute film and you should watch it.

@Bill Trinen
Movie: La Haine
Description: After a riot erupts in the "banlieue" (fr: ghetto) as a result of police ruthlessly beating an Arab man, we follow an approximate 20 hour period in the life of three friends from different ethnic backgrounds, living in close proximity of each other. Vinz, a Jewish man hellbent on revenge for his Arab friend as a way to acquire status as a gangster, Hubert, an aspiring boxer that is very reflective on the chaos around him, and Saïd, who's more of a middle man to the two very extreme personalities. We go on a journey with these three characters' lives as they try to use their street smarts to navigate through tough experiences in the banlieue, as well as the city of Paris in general.

Shows

@Lucy the Valiant
Show: The Simpsons
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Sitcom
Description: This Animated Sitcom is amazing. Started in the late 1980s this show is about a family from the town of Springfield. I don't know what else to say but I highly recommend this. Hilarious show. I watch it every now & then when it comes on TV. If you're looking for a good comedy show then watch this.

+Jaqen h'ghaar
Show: Safe
Description: The main character in the movie has the responsibility of raising his two daughters after the death of his wife. Things are turning out well, except when his oldest daughter, Jenny, goes missing. The family lives in a gated community and through a series of different searches for his daughter, hidden secrets of his neighbors are uncovered. This show keeps you wanting more after each episode because of how each reveal can have the audience shift their view of the kidnapper. Highly recommend for its exceptional plot alone.

+Cz
Show: W - Two worlds
Genre: Action/Thriller/Romance
Description: Fancy watching something a bit different? This Korean drama might just be what you're looking for! The story centres around the fictional character Kang Cheol, an Olympian in shooting, owner of his own $800m business and lead character in the most famous cartoon web series 'W', and Oh Yeon-Joo, a doctor and fan of W. Kang Cheol's parents and siblings are murdered by a mysterious figure, and Kang Cheol gets the blame. But at the lowest point of his life and contemplating suicide, we see him take control over his own fictional life, which will end up seeping into reality. However, something is trying to kill Kang Cheol to prevent this. Can he find the person who killed his family and is now trying to kill him? And why does he need Oh Yeon-Joo's help?

Last edited:

Cleo

point me to the nearest waffle house
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
JTVF Recommendations for the week of December 2nd - December 9th

Movies
#Saburo
Movie: Kung Fury
Genre: Short, Action, Comedy
Description: In 1985, Kung Fury, the toughest martial artist cop in Miami, goes back in time to kill the worst criminal of all time - Kung Führer, a.k.a. Adolf Hitler. The short is ultimate mash-up of all things 80s - ridiculous action-movies, over-the-top cop shows, retro video games, and synth/techno music. Oh, and there's also kung-fu, dinosaurs, hot viking chicks, a Nordic God, and Nazis. Plus, you can watch right now on YouTube for free. WATCH IT!

+Lucy the Valiant
Movie: Twilight
Genre Romance
Description: Best romantic movie. Must watch imo. It's about a vampire who gets in a romantic relationship with a non-vampire human

+Yackback
Movie: Burning
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Description: From South Korea, directed by Lee Chang-dong. I don't want to give much away but this is my favorite movie of the year so far. Deadbeat Korean guy runs into a childhood friend, and stuff happens. Has several insane long takes that stretch for 5+ minutes. Has Steven Yeun for all you walking dead people. Pace can be slow, and it does take until the second half to really get going. So many metaphors. Highest ever score in Screen's critic average at Cannes with a 3.8/4, beating Toni Erdmann's 3.7. 5/5 movie + ending.

Shows
%czim
Show: Ash vs Evil Dead
Genre: Comedy, Action, Horror, Gore
Description: This shows follows up on an old Ash (Bruce Campbell), the star of the cult horror classic "Evil Dead" 30 years after the infamous events that happened on the cabin. If you love slasher flicks, disgusting (and i mean disgusting) scenes, mindless fun action (the dude has a chainsaw for a hand ffs), corny one-liners and completely comedic horror, this show is for you. It also stars the one and only Lucy Lawless (famous for portraying Xena the warrior princess)

%Cleo
Show: Killing Eve
Description: It follows Eve, an M15 officer, as she tries to track down a talented assassin Villanelle. Not only is it a great drama, but its comedic moments don’t feel forced and I genuinely laughed. The two leads are brilliantly cast. Season Two is set to premiere sometime in 2019. With only 8 episodes in its first season, if you have a free weekend and you want to binge something: I cannot recommend it enough

Last edited:

Cleo

JTVF Recommendations for the week of December 9th - December 16th

Movies
%Cleo
Movie: The Nightmare Before Christmas
Genre: Animation, Fantasy, Musical
Description: Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of Halloweentown, is growing tired of the repetitive life he's "living". Until one day, he finds himself in Christmastown which is the complete opposite of the other town. This kickstarts his journey of taking over the Christmas holiday. The visuals on this movie are stunning. So many details and thought was put into this. It's a great bridge between the two holidays, and honestly works all year round too. I watched it recently and the songs still hold up. The opening song "This is Halloween" grabbed me in and I still haven't stopped singing it.

%Soft Flex
Movie: Kung Fu Hustle
Genre: Martial arts/action/drama
Description: A pair of down-on-their-luck street rats aspire to join the nefarious Axe Gang and enjoy the rest of their lives in luxury. After attempting to scam the tenants of Pig Sty Alley and being thwarted by their ruthless landlady, Sing accidentally triggers the wrath of the Gang and a handful of skilled but reluctant martial artists are forced out of hiding to fend for their neighbours, despite wanting nothing more than to go about their daily business in peace. Through it all, a martial arts master rises to the occasion to end the conflict.

I affectionately refer to this film (my personal favourite) as the Christopher Walken of movies! It will take you a roller coaster of unpredictable hilarity (both dark and silly), suspense, action, sadness and inspiration.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Movie: The Disaster Artist
Genre: Biopic/Comedy
Description: Everyone knows The Room, the movie that Tommy Wiseau made. Now here is the movie about the movie that Tommy Wiseau made. James and Dave Franco play the two main characters, bringing us the story of the camaraderie between two longtime buddies that decided to make a movie together, even if that movie didn't quite turn out how they wanted. Fun to watch if you want something that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Shows
%czim
Show: The Kominsky Method
Genre: Comedy/Drama
Description: Created by Chuck Lorre, this Netflix original stars Michael Douglas playing an actor who made it big a long time ago and who now is an acting coach at his studio named after himself, "The Kominsky Method." His best friend and agent (played by Alan Arkin) loses his wife to cancer, which leaves both of them questioning their existence as they struggle through choices and relationships, old and new. As Kominsky teaches a class to actors he meets a woman whom he has deep feelings for, but lacks the skills to make a relationship work. Meanwhile his agent struggles with the pain of his wife's death and a drug addicted daughter. Throughout the series it becomes clear that their advanced age has challenges that neither one knows how to overcome, and as they keep onboard this train of life, which is closer to death then ever before, they learn to navigate their way through pain and character growth and set backs.

I've been on a huge streak of not-liking several shows and movies and this one was a big exception and that's why I recommend it. The character interactions are great and the jokes land most of the time. Hope you'll give it a go

Cleo

JTVF Recommendations for the week of December 23rd - December 30th

Movies
%Soft Flex
Film: Detroit Rock City
Description: Four high school friends have big plans to see their favourite band KISS in concert, but after one of their overbearing mothers burns their tickets and enrolls her son at a Catholic boarding school as punishment, it seems all hope is lost. However, after lucking out with a phone-in radio contest, the remaining friends come to the rescue of their fellow band member by breaking him out and embarking on a road trip to Detroit, encountering all sorts of challenges and hilarity along the way.

While I admit full bias, as KISS is my favourite band of all time, the soundtrack blends KISS with other killer tracks from the 70's and who doesn't love a good road trip/coming-of-age comedy? Definitely recommend for any fans of comedy and rock & roll.

Shows
+Lucy the Valiant
Show: Fear The Walking Dead
Genre: Horror
Description: This Walking Dead spin-off set at the very beginning of the zombie apocalypse follows a group of survivors who try to survive in a world full of the undead. I enjoyed it, Season 4 is probably the worst season by far, the first 3 seasons were much better. Even though Fear The Walking Dead is no where near as good as The Walking Dead, I still recommend it!!!

+ryyjyywyy
show: blues clues
genre: mystery, comedy, drama, thriller, romance
description: join blue on adventures, fun, and more!

@ Cleo
Show: The Fall
Genre: Psychological Thriller, Crime, Drama
Description: This show examines the lives of two hunters. One is a serial killer who preys on victims in and around Belfast, Northern Ireland, Paul Spector played by Jamie Dornan. The other is a female detective drafted from the London Metropolitan Police to catch him, Stella Gibson played by Gillian Anderson. There are 3 seasons with 5-6 episodes each. You won’t be disappointed if this sounds like your type of show. It is critically acclaimed and with good reason! (Also on Netflix)

Cleo

JTVF Recommendations for the week of December 30th - January 6th

Movies
.@Cleo
Film: Girls Trip
Genre: Comedy, Road Movie, Drama
Description: Queen Latifah, Regina Hall, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Tiffany Haddish in a comedy move. I MEAN What more do you need to make you watch this? If you want a good laugh for almost 2 hours, I highly recommend this

+Yackback
Film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse
Genre: Animation, Superhero
Description: Best animated movie I've ever seen, amazing style, use of color, hilarious, and just really good all around. Believe the reviews on this one, and yeah, you really can't prepare yourself for this. Should be a lock for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars, and frankly is top 10 for a large amount of reviewers/people. It is 6th ALL-TIME on letterboxd for some reason. Oh, and stay for the post credits scene, which is probably the best post credits scene in Marvel history
Shows
+barryc
Show: Lucifer
Genre: Crime, Comedy
Description: This show explores the life of the Devil, Lucifer, who is tired of working in hell, so he moves to Earth. On Earth, he meets a homicide detective, Chloe Decker, and becomes a consultant for the LAPD. Together, Chloe and Lucifer work cases together while Lucifer manages a night club and dealing with his family divinity.
I've seen clips of this show, and only started watching it on Netflix recently (bonus, it's on Netflix), and I'm so hooked. I am definitely a huge fan of crime and comedy, and this show happens to mix the both of those together, which is why I recommend this show!

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show: The Newsroom
Genre: Political, Drama
Description: A series from the same guy who wrote Moneyball and The Social Network, The Newsroom looks into the growing pains that can happen when one of America's most popular news stations tries to report the news differently than the rest.

Cleo

We're glad to start back our JTVF recommendations! Expect this post now to be every 2 weeks instead of weekly. Thank you and have a good day n_n

JTVF Recommendations for the week of March 3rd - March 17th

Movies
#Kamran Laker
Film: The Favourite
Genre: Historical Period Drama, Comedy
Description: One may argue "The Favourite" had the best writing, directing, cinematography, and acting among any 2018 film lead by Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Olivia Colman. If you appreciate cinematic art in its many different expressions then this film is a absolute must watch. It really is a very fun ride that'll leave you wanting it to never end and it's in my opinion Yorgos Lanthimos' best film yet.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Genre: Comedy, 80s, Keanu Reeves movies
Description: A most righteous look at Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter trying to pass history class.

+Jolteonite
Film: About Time (2013)
Genre: Romance, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Description: From director Richard Curtis (writer/director of Love Actually) comes a heartwarming tale of Tim Lake (played by Domhnall Gleeson), a young man who learns at the age of 21 that the men in his family can travel through time. Headlined by a cast of Margot Robbie, Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy, About Time, follows Tim Lake’s journey as he learns to appreciate life, his powers and what he can and cannot do. A transformative tale about love, relationships, and what is truly important in life, About Time utilizes every page of its beautifully weaved script to make the viewer feel the realness of each of its characters. Bill Nighy in particular will make the viewer throw out any preconceived notions they may have about him as his characterization teaches us lessons we never even knew we had to learn and will make the viewer feel raw emotions.

Shows
.@Cleo
Show: The Great British Bake Off
Genre: Food, Competition, Reality
Description: In my opinion, it is the best of the best cooking competitions. Always a pure delight. Every week, there’s a new theme. Then, three challenge rounds will revolve around that theme. Based on the results, every week a baker is eliminated. That is until a final three remains and the winner is chosen. If you have time to spare, you can kick back, chill, and watch as they bake something better than I can ever dream to!

+Jaqen H'ghaar
Show: Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Genre: American sitcom
Description: Typically I am not a big fan of sitcoms, therefore I don't watch many, but Brooklyn Nine-Nine is an exception. The show has great character development throughout the seasons and a lot of the humor comes from such. The comedy is banter and if you have that kind of humor, then this show will be a great match for you.

Cleo

JTVF Recommendations for the week of March 17th - March 31st

Movies
@ CZ
Movie: In Bruges
Genre: Thriller, Comedy, Action
Description: A job gone wrong. Two Hitmen must flee the UK to remain safe. But of all places, why Bruges?

From Director Martin Mcdonagh (Seven Psychopaths, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) comes one of the finest dark comedies ever put to film. The chemistry and comedy is on-point. If you like Snatch, Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels or Trainspotting, this will be a good film for you.

@Soft Flex
Movie: Léon: The Professional
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Synopsis: A reluctant hitman takes in an orphaned girl after the murder of her family in the apartment down the hall from his own. The two of them form a unique relationship and Léon eventually gives in to her pleas to learn the tricks of the trade in the art of assassination.

+Jolteonite
Film: Nightcrawler (2014)
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Description: Jake Gyllenhaal stars as Lou in this haunting tale centering on the increased propensity of graphic violence that has become the cornerstone of many newscasts. Nightcrawler details the devolution of integrity in the news industry as the saying “if it bleeds, it leads” transforms from a figure of speech to the sole idea which keeps a certain news station afloat. Gyllenhaal delivers a bone chilling performance as his characterization of Lou sees him change as he delves increasingly further down the rabbit hole of chasing violent stories. A story which has deep truths buried in current society not only in its depiction of the decreased integrity of news stations, but also in its look into the repercussions it can have on those who chase such stories as well as anyone who gets too caught up in anything that pulls one deeper into the darkness. This film then serves as more than just a commentary on news coverage, but on society as a whole and how easy it is for someone who is starting down a certain path to be consumed by it.

+Yackback
Movie: The Dawn Wall
Description: Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson climb the one spot on El Capitan that hasn't been climbed. Also Tommy Caldwell has a really interesting life story. Really good documentary and I believe it's on Netflix.

Shows
@ Cleo
Show: 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown
Genre: Game Show, Comedy
Description: I’m not always in the mood to invest myself into films/tv. Sometimes I just want to kick back and have a laugh. That’s where this show comes in. To say “it’s just a gameshow” is a disservice! It’s more of a standup show for the contestants usually comedians (changing every episode with some recurring) and the host Jimmy Carr. The games are rather simple. 1. Make the largest word you can out of 9 random letters, 2. Try to math your way to the target number using 6 random numbers, and the finale 3. Solve the 9 letter anagram aka the ‘conundrum’

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show: Grimm
Genre: Fantasy, Cop
Description: Fairy tales reimagined in the views of a Portland police department investigating crimes

Cleo

JTVF Recommendations for the week of March 31st - April 14th

Movies
@ cleo
Film: It (2017)
Genre: Supernatural, Horror
Description: ‘It’ is shapeshifter whose favorite form is a clown. So as a child, one of my biggest fears was, of course, clowns. I’ve seen the original It from 1990, but this one brought my childhood nightmares to life. The child actors are brilliant and well casted. Bill Skarsgård brings a unique take to the role that isn’t just a ripoff of Tim Curry’s. It, the movie, and It, the character, is a well made horror and Chapter Two is meant for release later this year

Shows
%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show: 30 Rock
Description: 30 Rock is a show surrounding life at NBC as they put together a fictionalized SNL parody. While you may start watching this show for Tina Fey or for Tracy Morgan or even for Jack McBrayer's character Kenneth, you quickly realize that the strength of this show is in its deep ensemble cast, bringing together a pretty funny sitcom.

%Jolteonite
Show: The Ricky Gervais Show
Description: From the brilliant mind that created the original The Office, comes The Ricky Gervais Show: an animated podcast show. Watch as Ricky Gervais teams up with Steven Merchant to pick Karl Pilkington's brain and enjoy the hilariousness that ensues. Easily my favorite comedy show of all time, this is a highly recommended show for everyone.

+JediR
Show: Bodyguard
Genre: Political Thriller/Crime Drama miniseries
Description: War veteran David Budd (Richard Madden) finds work in London's Metropolitan Police Service, where he is assigned to protect the Home Secretary, Julia Montague (Keeley Hawes). The show is extremely engaging from the start, keeping you on the edge of your seat for the entirety of the miniseries, and the twists and turns will keep you guessing right up to the very end

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Team! <<JTVF>> is bringing back its recommendation feature with some new and familiar faces contributing to the pool! We may have a few tweaks in store for the future, but for now it's back to basics as we've had a recent surge in folks wondering where we've been. So that being said...

JTVF Recommendations for the week of October 4th - October 10th

Movies

#Celestial
Film: Revolutionary Road (2008)
Genre: Drama, Romance
Description: Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet star in their best film together in this emotionally powerful film directed by Sam Mendes. Revolutionary Road utilizes a 1950's tale about a couple as a medium to explore the depths of inter-human relations including marriage, rage and hopelessness. Michael Shannon also stars in a pivotal role that helps reveal even more depth to the film.

#Soft Flex
Film: Extraction
Genre: Action
Description: This Netflix-exclusive starring Chris Hemsworth is one of the very best hard action flicks I've seen in recent years. While the plot may be simple, the movie is carried by exceptional camerawork, cinematography and fight choreography. It's full of long takes, tension-building moments and stunts I'm still trying to wrap my head around as far as how they were shot or edited with movie magic. For a straight action film, I daresay it at least knocks on the door of the recent legendary-franchise-in-the-making John Wick titles. It does so with less charm in its worldbuilding and colourful dialogue, but that didn't stop me from being absorbed by the experience.

%aenima
Film:
Suspiria
Description: Who wouldn't love a horror movie with witches, dance academies, amazing cinematography, a classic soundtrack and amazing color gradients?

%Fragments
Film:
Oculus
Description: The film that gave me a whole new reason to avoid mirrors. Oculus follows siblings Kaylie (Karen Gillan) and Tim (Brenton Thwaites) as they endure a nightmarish reality caused by an evil relic known as the Lasser. I've watched hundreds of horror movies and this is one of the few to actually spook me out.

Bondie
Film: 300
Genre(s): Epic, Period, Action
Description: A fictional depiction of the battle of Thermopylae in which 300 Spartans face an army of over 300,000 Persians, using superior training and battle tactics to even the odds.

Television

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show: Elementary
Genre: Detective
Description: Very loosely based on Sherlock Holmes stories, this show features Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu as Holmes and Watson. While it unfortunately falls into several tropes of the procedural cop show, Elementary's cases always feature really interesting topics, including lab grown meat and bringing animals back from extinction. In addition, the show features strong performances from its main casts. Overall, it's not the best show out there, but it's enjoyable enough to be worth seeing through the 6 or 7 seasons out there.

+iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show: Lucifer (2017)
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Description: A funny show about the devil in Los Angeles solving cases and showing that the devil was not the real villain in the story. Tom Ellis is a great actor who makes you fall in love with the show and watch each of the chapters, also will release the second part of its last season very soon.

If you happen to check out any of these titles in the near future, stop by the room and let us know what you thought! If you enjoyed them or agreed with our opinions, let us know! If you disagreed, let us know that too! And if you'd like recommendations on a specific title or genre, feel free to ping a staff member to request one so they can share with the staff!

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
JTVF Recommendations for the week of October 11th - October 17th

Movies
%Fragments
Film
: Ready or Not
Genre: Horror, Comedy
Description: You know what they say: when you marry a man, you marry his homicidal devil-worshipping family. Ready or Not marks Samara Weaving's breakout performance as she tries to survive the night with her new in-laws hunting her down. The perfect film for any dark comedy enthusiast.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Film: Knives Out
Genre: Mystery, Whodunnit, Comedy
Description: Rian Johnson's "subverted expectations" is the subject of a lot of jokes, but it really does define Knives Out very well. A well made film from start to finish, you will really enjoy following this mystery, from the lens of Ana de Armas and Daniel Craig with a southern accent. Even beyond them, there is an incredibly deep cast with a lot of other amazing talent (Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Colette, and many more also feature prominent roles in the film)!

Television
#Soft Flex
Show:
The Boys
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime
Description: This comic adaptation details a modern world in which superheroes exist - just not the squeaky-clean ones we've become accustomed to seeing portrayed on the big screen in the past few decades! Superhuman society is rife with corruption, and at the center of it all is the mega corporation known as Vought International. Slowly opposing them is a group of reluctant vigilantes known as The Boys, led by Billy Butcher (Karl Urban), whose vendetta against "Supes" is justified gradually throughout the series. The action is great, the comedy is spot-on, the surprises are plentiful and the social commentary is sometimes all-too-real. At the risk of overselling it, Season 2 (whose finale just released this weekend on Amazon Prime!) confirmed this to be my new favourite TV series of all time!

+iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
Cobra Kai (2018-Present)
Genre: Martial Arts, Action, Drama
Description: Cobra Kai is set 34 years after the original Karate Kid film, re-examining the narrative from Johnny Lawrence's point of view, and his decision to reopen the Cobra Kai karate dojo leading to the rekindling of his old rivalry with Daniel LaRusso. This show is exciting and it gets better every time you meet its characters you love them more and more.

+yackback
Show:
Justified (2010-2015)
Genre: Western, Drama, Action, Mystery
Description: Old school Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens is transferred back to his childhood home of rural Kentucky after shooting a crime lord in broad daylight. Some of the most fun I've had watching a TV show, along with great writing and several amazing villains. Every conversation between Raylan and Boyd is unforgettable. That hat.

Bondie
Show:
Merlin
Genre: Fantasy
Description: Colin Morgan plays the lead character Merlin in this 2008 retelling of Arthurian legend, following a young Merlin while he was still Arthur's squire as he tries to keep Arthur alive without anyone finding out he has special powers.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
JTVF Recommendations for the week of October 18th - October 24th

Movies
#Soft Flex
Movie:
Hero (Ying xiong)
Genre: Wuxia, Action, Adventure, History
Description: In what I believe to be his best film to date, Jet Li plays an assassin who seeks audience with the king of Qin during China's Warring States period. He claims to have slain three legendary assassins with whom the king has survived multiple encounters with in the past which have forced the king to maintain an air of skepticism and paranoia regarding visitors to the throne. What follows is a series of explanations, doubts and epiphanies regarding the true nature of the events leading up to the meeting (versions of which are made recognizable by the cinematic flare applied to the backdrops and attires in each retelling). The action is stylish and the colours and settings are gorgeous. As a bonus piece of trivia, the film is credited as being the first foreign language film to open at #1 at the U.S. box office!

%aenima
Movie:
It Follows
Description: Industrial soundtrack, amazing camera work, great setting, and an unsettling vibe, "It Follows" is a ride through hell, and the ever-present force of the monster is frightening, like you can never escape the horror you've gotten yourself into.

%Fragments
Movie:
The Ritual
Genre: Horror, Mystery
Description: Do you enjoy the woods? Do you want that to be ruined for you forever? After the death of their friend, The Ritual details the journey of 4 companions through the Scandinavian wilderness as they're stalked by an ancient evil force. This film is very unique in its approach to Norse legend and heavy themes such as guilt and repentance.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Movie:
Whiplash
Genre: Drama, Music
Description: What does it take to be the best? Follow the life of a young drummer in a top ranked music school as he works to hone his craft under one of the most strict and disciplinarian teachers (played by J.K. Simmons in probably some of his best acting ever). It's not really a feel good movie, but the plot is incredible and the acting performances even more so. Whiplash is a must-watch movie.

Television

+iDybalaJr en YT!~
TV Show:
Dark (2017-2020)
Genre: Science Fiction
Description: If you love time travel, you will love this show. This German show is a story full of time travel that forms a line in time created by themselves where each family connects and where each event forms another.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
JTVF Recommendations for the week of October 25th - October 31st

Movies

#Soft Flex
Movie: Ip Man
Genre:
Action, Drama, Biography

Description: This film is the semi-biographical account of the martial artist Ip Man (mentor to future film legend Bruce Lee, among other great martial artists), beginning shortly before the Japanese invasion of Foshan during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Wing Chun is showcased in great style by veteran action film star Donnie Yen in the title role (which is widely considered the film that gave his popularity its greatest boost overseas from China). This film and its sequels (although slightly less biographical and more stylistic as they went on) are consistently exciting and some of Donnie Yen's best works.

%aenima
Movie:
Halloween
Genre: Horror, Slasher
Description: I mean it's Halloween. Not a ton to say about it other than it's a classic and it's fantastic. Happy Halloween!

%Fragments
Movie:
Jojo Rabbit
Genre: Comedy, Drama, War
Description: A brilliant satire following a pitiful young boy blindly loyal to the Nazi regime. But when he learns his mom is harboring a young Jewish girl, his whole world flips on its head. This movie is hilarious but will also hit you hard and leave you thinking.

Bondie
Movie:
David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet
Description: An eye-opening documentary about the changes occurring on our planet within the lifespan of David Attenborough. An important watch to for people who want to help make life on our planet more sustainable.

Television

+iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show: Hoops
Genre: Sports, Comedy, Animated
Description: If you like black humor, basketball and shows, this is the one for you. You will love to see how the coach of a school basketball team is in all possible problems to help his team, involving the players in crazy adventures. Besides that, it is a new show in 2020.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
JTVF Recommendations for Halloween 2020
#Celestial
Film:
The Silence of the Lambs
Genre: Psychological Horror
Description: One of only 3 films ever to win the big 5 at the Oscars (including the only true horror film to win Best Picture), Anthony Hopkins delivers a chilling performance in his portrayal of Hannibal Lecter as he is enlisted to aide FBI trainee Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) in catching a serial killer. And whilst Hopkins carries this film, the supporting cast as well as the direction is also phenomenal. A true must watch for any film fan and one of the best choices for Halloween.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Scooby-Doo! And Kiss: Rock and Roll Mystery
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Family

Description: Join the Mystery Gang in this unlikely team-up with the hottest band in the world as they investigate strange hauntings at KISS World, a KISS-theme(d) park. The film is filled with classic Scooby-Doo! hilarity, charm and a myriad of KISS references sprinkled throughout as Easter eggs for the truest of fans!

Saburo
Movie:
Practical Magic (1998)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
IMDb synopsis: Two witch sisters, raised by their eccentric aunts in a small town, face closed-minded prejudice and a curse that threatens to prevent them from ever finding lasting love.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Movie:
Scooby-Doo! and the Goblin King
Genre: Comedy, Animated, Halloween
Description: Zoinks Scoob!

...Apparently I'm not allowed to stop my description there. You really can't go wrong with Scooby Doo - the franchise has held up this long for a reason. It's definitely not the best movie in the franchise, but it's still a solid family movie.

+iDybalaJr en YT!~
Movie:
Hubie Halloween (2020)
Genre: Halloween, Comedy
IMDB Synopsis: Despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem (and its Halloween celebration), Hubie Dubois is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike. But this year, something is going bump in the night and it's up to Hubie to save Halloween.

Bondie
Film:
Shaun of the Dead
Genre: Comedy, Horror
Description: The first film of the Cornetto trilogy featuring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, where zombies overrun London and force the main characters into shelter at their local pub.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
JTVF Recommendations for the week of November 8th - November 14th

Movies
#Soft Flex
Film:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Musical
Description: Another masterpiece from my favourite director duo, the Coens, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a short story anthology comprised of 6 tales set in the Old West. The chapters will have you following cowboys, bounty hunters, prospectors, thieves, theatre troupe performers, a bank robber and more. For anyone who's seen or eventually sees the film, I'd love to get your opinion on which story was your favourite if you can find time to stop by the room (I'm a fan of the prospector's chapter myself)! As an aside, it's also the origin of the "First time?" meme that pop culture has made viral in recent years!

@ Kamran
Film:
It Comes at Night
Genre: Horror, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: Secure within a desolate home as an unnatural threat terrorizes the world, a man has established a tenuous domestic order with his wife and son. Then a desperate young family arrives seeking refuge.

@ Saburo
Film:
Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: When the head of a statue sacred to a village is stolen, a young martial artist goes to the big city and finds himself taking on the underworld to retrieve it.

+yackback
Movie:
Crazy World
Genre: Action
Description: MOVIE! MOVIE! MOVIE! From Nabwana I.G.G., the creator of Bad Black, Uganda's number 1 action film, comes another classic. A set of world class martial artists, the Waka Stars, take on their evil kidnappers the Tiger Mafia. Wakaliwood is as good as Hollywood.

Television

#Celestial
Show:
Big Little Lies
Genre: Drama, Dark Comedy, Mystery
Description: Pitched from the start as a mystery, this show takes twists and turns throwing in dark comedy at times as it follows families in a rich, beachside town. With a cast headlined by Reece Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Alexander Skarsgård, Zoë Kravitz, Laura Dern, Kathryn Newton and Adam Scott, this show represents something that normally would be much different than what I would gravitate toward. Regardless, it was able to weave me in its spin and a great recommendation for anyone who has yet to watch it.

%aenima
Show:
Twin Peaks
Genre: Mystery, Drama, Surrealist
Description: The mystery of who killed a well-known and well-loved member of the small town of Twin Peaks is unraveled in a way that no other mystery has been done before. A crime drama with so many twists and turns you don't know where you are. Fire, Walk With Me.

%iDybalaJr en YT!~
Show:
The Society
Genre: Mystery, Teen Drama
Description: When everyone else mysteriously vanishes from their wealthy town, the teen residents of West Ham must forge their own society to survive. This show is soooo great because it shows how the creation of a society is from the beginning, how it is formed and how it continues, it shows the problems, advantages and duties. It is so real and so interesting in every moment that it makes it one of the best shows.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Show:
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Genre: Sitcom
Description: A sitcom surrounding an NYPD precinct. Starring Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher (mainly), this is one of the funniest sitcoms around in my honest opinion. The dialogue is always top notch and there's a good cast of several different main characters so no one character gets too stale.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
NOTE: This will be the last post for Recommendations in this thread - check out https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tv-films-recommendations.3673374/ for our ongoing Recommendations in the future, and come visit us in the new room at <<TVF>>!

TV & Films Recommendations for the week of November 15th - November 21st
(That's right, JTVF is now TVF as we've rebranded and simplified to TV & Films!)

Films

#Soft Flex
Movie:
Shadow (2018)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
Description: Another praiseworthy wuxia film gracing us from China, Shadow is an action/drama with stunning visuals and political intrigue surrounding the goings-on of the city of Jingzhou. We learn that prior to the onset of the story, two neighbouring kingdoms competed for control of the city in the form of a duel between two of their best warriors. The loser of the duel (Ziyu) challenges Yang Cang (the winner) to a rematch without his kingdom's permission and is stripped of his rank and authority by the kingdom's cowardly ruler. Afterwards, it is revealed that Ziyu is not the real Ziyu, but a look-alike adopted at a young age due to his uncanny resemblance and potential use as his "shadow" (hence the title inspiration) - the real Ziyu was nearly fatally wounded in the original duel and is recuperating in a cave while plotting the recapture of Jingzhou.

While the story is well-written, the immediate draw of the film is its visual aesthetic. The entire movie is shot with a filter that dulls the majority of the natural colours and renders characters and backdrops in near black and white. In addition, much of the dialogue is soft spoken making the whole experience nearly hypnotic at times. A very strong title for fans of cinematography and action alike!

@ Saburo
Movie:
The Foreigner (2017)
Genre: Action, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A humble businessman with a buried past seeks justice when his daughter is killed in an act of terrorism. A cat-and-mouse conflict ensues with a government official, whose past may hold clues to the killers' identities.

%IWouldPreferNotTo
Movie:
Source Code
Description: Groundhog Day but with high stakes. Source Code presents an incredibly thrilling situation: What if you died, but you had the chance to stop an event that killed hundreds? It stars Jake Gyllenhaal so you know it's a good movie.

+yackback
Movie:
Incendies
Genre(s): War, Thriller, Mystery
Description: Before he did Blade Runner 2049, before he did Arrival, before he did Sicario, Denis Villeneuve made Incendies. The film's title is French for "Scorched" and based on a play that in turn was based in part on a real person's experience in the Lebanese Civil War. I don't want to say too much more about the plot, but I'll just say this is probably my favorite Villeneuve film of the 4/6 I've seen.

Television

#Celestial
Show:
Hell's Kitchen
Genre: Reality
Description: A show known for Gordon Ramsay yelling at cooks in a kitchen, the show is much more than that and truly shines. It's a great look into what it takes to run a high end restaurant. From preparing foods for a dinner service, to being able to work together with multiple chefs, to being able to deliver multiple different dishes simultaneously and more. Don't want to give too much away here, so definitely watch it if you haven't yet!

%Fragments
Show:
Into the Badlands
Genre: Drama, Action
Description: In a dystopian future, civilization has resorted to a feudal landscape where factions are led by rival barons. A prestigious warrior named Sunny aims to escape the Badlands with the help of M.K., a strange and mysteriously powerful teenage boy. One of the best martial arts-based dramas I've seen, it's got plenty of action, drama, comedy, and even heartbreak.

Bondie
Show:
Toast of London
Genre: Comedy, Sitcom
Description: Written by Arthur Matthews and Matt Berry, starring Matt Berry as the lead character Steven Toast, an actor living in London with his best friend Ed. A very British comedy following Toast through his unsuccessful acting career and love life.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)