Jumping from GenIV to VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I last played competitively during the GenIV era, when Aerodactyl was considered an effective lead with quick SR, when each Rotom forme (barring original Rotom) could actually do something incredible, and when Snorlax is still awesome. Now, after a few years of hiatus, I decided to come back and try my hand at the metagame today.

God, it is so different. Too many awesome Pokemon running around. Protean Greninja, Acrobatics Talonflame, Pivot Aegislash. I even see the occasional Azumarill and Mawile which I haven't seen for years. Anywho, let's jump into the RMT. This is my first gen VI RMT (and the first after almost a whole generation of skipping) so suggestions are appreciated.

I've centered on the thought of using two interesting Pokemon introduced in this gen. Protean frog and Aegislash. As leads were famous back in gen IV, I assumed they also serve a purpose in today's metagame, so incomes Ferrothorn. Toxic Orb Gliscor comes in for my physical attacker, and Defog Togekiss for defogger and bulky special offense. Gengar for my sleep-inducer and answer to other Aegislashes and Dragons, and fighters.

At a glance:

In depth:

200 HP/252 Def/ 56 SpD
Relaxed @Leftovers/ Iron Barbs
- SR
- Spikes
- T-Wave
- Leech Seed

I usually lead with Ferrothorn. Except when facing a possible fire-type user, I go for T-Wave or Leech Seed just to see what an opponent will do. After that, I go for either SR/ Spikes or switch into something else.

4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 219 Spd
Adamant Leftovers
- King's Shield
- SD
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Aegislash is a beast. Usually it is him or Gengar who cleans up late-game. Switching back and forth between Blade and Shield form really puts a dent on an opponent's strategy. I usually use this set to lure in a switch from a physical attacker, thinking King's Shield, but then using the turn for a free SD. Shadow Sneak is the main attack of this set, though I use Iron Head for things that resists Shadow Sneak. Like Blissey. (I hate Blissey. It has no offensive prowess whatsoever, and yet it can stand up to this set.)

4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Adamant Toxic Orb/ Poison Heal
- EQ
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- SD

Gliscor is my answer to most fire-types who walls Aegislash and threatens the leading capability of my Ferrothorn, primarily a certain Pokemon called Heatran. EQ and Stone Edge provides almost perfect coverage, hitting almost half of the whole OU tier badly.

252 HP/ 252 SpA / 4 Spd
Timid Life Orb/ Protean
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes
- HP Grass

Oh good lawd, this. When I first saw Protean, I immediately thought, "OH HEY. FREE STAB." I did not took into consideration the changes brought upon by Greninja's type change during battle. It actually has four different typings during battle and it is just up to my choice what type to use against what opponent. They are usually thrown off track by T-Bolting Greninja when I just did an HP Grass. Hell yeah.

56 HP/ 252 SpA/ 200 Spd
Modest Black Sludge
- Sludge Wave
- Hypnosis
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

I like Dazzling Gleam. It's the main reason why Dazzling Gleam is there. Plus, this Gengar laughs at Conkeldurr so I guess that is something.

252 HP/ 56 SpA/ 200 SpD
Calm @Leftovers/ Serene Grace
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Defog
- Flamethrower

And finally, Defog Togekiss who barely see the lights of battle. I just placed it here in case the other four offensive Pokemon of my team needs another one to fulfill this role.

I have had several difficulties using this set, especially when battling Spider Web sets. I rely on my team's speed here to actually do something. When I am crippled, my Pokemon tends to be OHKO'ed by things that would be OHKO'ed before I die. Like EQ Hippowdon and Thundurus-T.

So, suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Images are gotten on serebii.net. I do not claim ownership on any of these images.

Last edited:
In my opinion i would run hidden power fire > hidden power grass on greninja.

For one greninja already has access to grass knot and even though rotom is light he still gets 1hkod by grass knot.

Hidden power fire on the other hand 1hkos ferrothorn, scizor (i believe its a 1hko on skarmory not including sturdy but not ure on that one)

I used HP Grass over HP Fire since Gliscor and Togekiss already run fire-type attacks and I have nothing to answer Water types, like Gastrodon and Rotom-W.

Esarty: I am playing on Pokemon Online, without Item Clause.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.
Your descriptions are too short to fit the RMT rules requirements.
I encourage you to PM me an updated version of this team with beefed up descriptions, and since you're new, to join the Mentor Program. I'll be unlocking this thread after that.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)