Challenge Just As GameFreak Intended - Playing through Crystal as Pokemon types imply (Completed!)

Back in the old days of Pokemon, moves were either physical or special based on their typing. For the most part, Pokemon were designed accordingly. Physical types were attached to physical Pokemon, and special types attached to special Pokemon. Even somewhat strange Pokemon like Flareon, a Pokemon with sky-high base 130 attack but no STAB to use it on, still had a solid special stat. Not all Pokemon were so fortunate, though. Some were cursed with utterly mismatched typings and stats, leaving them with no hope of a good STAB. Yet, if GameFreak gave them these typings, there must be something to them. So, let’s drink from GameFreak’s fountain of wisdom and use these misfits as their typings suggest. What could go wrong?

To explicitly lay out how I’ll be playing:
  • Only using Pokemon where all of their STABs are for their significantly lower offense stat.
  • Any damaging moves must be off of the weaker offense stat. Non-damaging moves are fine, except for the next restriction.
  • No inflicting sleep. This might seem a little random, but sleep lasts forever in Gen 2, and without Sleep Clause ingame I think it’s ridiculously broken.
  • Set mode.
  • No bag items in battle.
Setting Out

Let’s get started! First choice is the starter. None of them are viable choices for my party, so this only affects the rival’s starter Pokemon. I picked Cyndaquil for him to get Feraligatr, which I thought would be the hardest option for me. I quickly go through the start of the game so I can actually catch Pokemon. It doesn’t take long for me to find my first real party member, a Caterpie. The Butterfree it’ll eventually evolve in to is perfect for this run as a Bug/Flying-type with a pathetic 45 base attack. I catch a Level 4 one that’s male. While DVs are hard to check at this level, Gen 2 actually generates gender based on the attack DV, which for a 50/50 gender split like Caterpie means the males have 8 or higher attack – not bad.

With my first party member received, I go to grind a little bit. Solo Caterpie is basically not feasible for the route to Violet City without items, sadly. Caterpie’s pretty bad and doesn’t benefit from the excellent starter exp curve, so it takes around 15 minutes to get to Level 6. With that out of the way it’s time to start this adventure proper. Caterpie is barely able to slug its way through each fight, needing to use a Berry for the infamous Youngster Joey and the trainer after him. Soon after it evolves into Metapod and enjoys a nice defense buff. The Bug Catcher near the end has a Weedle that can poison me, so I give Metapod a PsnCureBerry to deal with that.

Sprout Tower

Once I’m at Violet City, I can go ahead to the Sprout Tower and claim my second Pokemon, Gastly. To be honest, Gastly only has access to physical moves for a while even in a normal playthrough, so it’s not that different for now. The lack of Hypnosis hurts, though. I pay attention to the gender again, trying to get a male. Now for the trainers. With two Pokemon that resist Grass, the Bellsprout here don’t put up much of a fight and are easy pickings despite my team’s meager offense. Metapod evolves into Butterfree and is forced to learn Confusion, which I just have to avoid using until I can teach something over it. Despite the lack of Confusion, Butterfree still has little trouble bulldozing miniboss Sage Li and his Level 10 Hoothoot. It’s missing Peck…

Speaking of Hoothoot’s physical ineptitude, I should explain why I’m not using one. As a Normal/Flying-type with terrible attack, it seems perfectly suited for this run. However, I decided against it because while this is a challenge run, part of the fun is the novelty of using all these Pokemon how they’re not actually intended to be used. But Hoothoot and Noctowl have such pathetic special movepools that using them would be barely different than a normal run – all they get is Confusion (at Level 41…), Dream Eater, and Thief. No, I didn’t forget Psychic. GameFreak did! Combined with the fact I’ll be getting another Normal/Flying-type eventually, I just didn’t see the point of including Noctowl.

Violet Gym

Everything in Falkner’s gym is Normal/Flying, which means Gastly can’t do anything without Hypnosis, so it’s up to Flying-weak Butterfree to pull through. The first trainer has a Level 9 Spearow that puts up quite a fight, requiring Butterfree to use a Berry, Harden twice, then barely win as it and Spearow exchange blows. The other trainer just has two Pidgeys that lack Flying moves, so he’s much easier. For Falkner, Butterfree basically needs Poisonpowder to get through the fight. Unfortunately, Butterfree is just under Level 12, a fair bit short. In retrospect I would’ve forgone training Gastly for now, as it’s virtually useless for this fight. Oh well, not much to do but some quick grinding. I spend around 10 minutes in the Ruins of Alph fighting Unown to get to Level 13, forgetting the icky Confusion for Poisonpowder.

Falkner

Falkner’s lead, Pidgey, lacks Flying moves for whatever reason, so it’s not particularly hard to set up 6 Hardens on it. Before setting up, I poison it so it’s nearly down by the time I finish setting up. When Pidgeotto comes out, I also poison it, then laugh as it can’t break through my incredibly hard butterfly with its 5 damage Gusts before succumbing to poison and Tackles. With that, my “team” (a.k.a. Butterfree) win their first Gym badge and get a much needed passive 12.5% attack buff. Another completely unmentioned property of Gym badges in Gen 2 is that they also provide a 12.5% damage buff to the type the Gym Leader used, in this case Flying. This particular one isn’t too useful, but many of these down the road will be a godsend.

Getting to Azalea with a New Pokemon

Upon leaving the Gym, I get a very interesting call from Professor Elm about a mystery Pokemon Egg. After spending an agonizing amount of time hatching it (no Bike, no Running Shoes, no Flame Body…), out pops the mighty Togepi. Most would be dismayed to see a Normal-type with 20 base attack as their surprise, but for this run it’s perfect. The only damaging move it can actually learn at this point is Mud-Slap, which is, uh, something. I teach it then head south. Underleveled with a 20 BP move, Togepi needs to be switch-trained for the most part, though it is a pretty helpful lead with Charm and accuracy drops. At Level 6, I have it face the Level 9 Nidoran-F to see how it fares by itself, and it takes all 10 Mud-Slaps to down it, to give you an idea of Togepi’s raw power. At Level 7 it learns Metronome, a fun and surprisingly usable way to damage foes, but sadly there’s no fun allowed here as it might call a special move. I have a weird fight against one of the Fisherman’s Poliwags where it hits 7 consecutive Water Guns despite being Mud-Slapped down the whole time – I have absolutely no idea what went on there. Only other thing of note is that Butterfree gained a level and learned Stun Spore, which I taught over String Shot.

Moving on to Union Cave, the sturdy Rock-types can be slowly dealt with Togepi’s Mud-Slap, with back-up from Gastly’s unresisted Lick. In here the very valuable Swift TM can be found, which would cure Togepi of its anemic offense and then some. Sadly, it’s a much better long-term investment on Butterfree, who ditches Tackle for it. Butterfree presses its lead as the team’s breadwinner for now. It should definitely relish it while it can…

Another New Pokemon

I move onto Azalea Town, where I can head into the Ilex Forest and get my 4th Pokemon, Venonat. While Venomoth’s stat spread is fitting for this run, Venonat actually has a higher attack stat to match its type. As such it’s a little ill-fitting for this challenge run for a while, but at least it fulfills the “challenge” component. Venonat is terrible until Sludge Bomb, especially with the Swift TM already used. It doesn’t help matters that the levels in Ilex Forest are strangely terrible – Venonat only appears at Level 5. So it also has to be switch-trained for a while, unfortunately. Someday I will have self-sufficient Pokemon besides Butterfree… I go on ahead to the Rockets in Slowpoke Well and later on the trainers in the Azalea Gym. Neither are very troublesome even with the burden of switch-training, but they’re not enough to catch Venonat up for the boss fights coming up. Not that it would be particularly helpful anyways.

Bugsy

Bugsy leads with Metapod, which Butterfree fittingly deals with. His next seems to be somewhat random, as it can be either Kakuna or Scyther. It doesn’t particularly matter which it is, but I found the behavior odd. In my winning run he sent out Scyther, his only real threat, but what a threat it is. Scyther takes negligible damage and quickly dismantles everything with Fury Cutter, no matter the resistance. Butterfree can start to nerf it with Stun Spore, though. I opt for this over Poisonpowder because of the inevitability of a full paralysis, breaking Scyther’s Fury Cutter chain. I then swap over to Togepi and Charm it twice, which heavily neuters it. My next move made more sense in my head, but I swapped to Venonat to confuse Scyther with Supersonic for some nice damage. Of course, I forgot there would be nothing “nice” about the damage due to Charm. Thankfully my time is not wasted as Scyther proceeds to hit itself four times in a row after I switch to Gastly. Completely unnecessary, but it does speed up the fight a bit. Gastly can only very slowly Lick Scyther down, so it’s a very drawn-out affair. After several turns Scyther goes down, and Bugsy ends with Kakuna which Butterfree also handles easily.

Rival (Azalea Town)

Almost right after Bugsy is another Rival confrontation. He leads with a Gastly of his own, which can be pretty annoying with Hypnosis. Togepi can deal with it slowly with Mud-Slap, but I tried my own Gastly on this attempt and got lucky with a Lick full-paralysis so I rolled with it. It doesn’t really matter – his Gastly just wastes time more than anything. I learn Curse from defeating it, which is incredibly useful. Zubat comes out next, but without a Flying-move Butterfree switches in and easily wins with its superior stats. Last is Croconaw, which tries to Scratch, but that’s a free switch for Gastly. I then Curse as it uses Leer. Gastly can still take another hit so I chip a little with Lick as it uses Water Gun, and paralyze it. I don’t actually want Gastly to faint though, as Curse damage in Gen 2 doesn’t trigger when the cursed Pokemon KOs something. So I switch to Venonat, who takes around a third from Water Gun. Since it’s paralyzed, I Disable its Water Gun to waste its next turn, which isn’t needed, but hey, it looks cool. After that, Croconaw succumbs to Curse and my rival is defeated.

Team Status:

Butterfree
Level 15
Swift/Stun Spore/Harden/Poisonpowder

Gastly Level 16
Lick/Curse/Spite/Mean Look

Togepi Level 13
Mud-Slap/Charm/Growl/Metronome

Venonat Level 12
Tackle/Disable/Foresight/Supersonic

Last edited:
Now that I can use Cut (taught to Cyndaquil), I can progress through Ilex Forest. In there is the incredibly important Headbutt TM. A 70 BP Normal move, it more than quintuples Togepi’s offense, catapulting it from the weakest to the strongest member of the team. Even the old, pathetically weak Mud-Slap remains surprisingly useful, as Ground pairs excellently with Normal. Since Headbutt is a buyable TM very soon after this, it’s worth noting that nothing else on my team can learn it. This is why it was important for Butterfree to get the Swift TM over Togepi; otherwise it would be stuck with Tackle for a looooong time.

With Headbutt, Togepi joins Butterfree in the self-sufficient club. Unfortunately, Gastly’s Lick is getting increasingly pathetic, but at least its type is still incredible for now, and Curse speeds things up a lot even on normal trainers. Venonat, on the other hand, just blows. Its Tackle might be a bit stronger than Gastly’s Lick, but it has to fight honestly, and that’s a losing proposition versus anything decent. Even as it catches up in level fighting Goldenrod trainers, it’s still easily the worst member right now.

Goldenrod Area

Most of the Goldenrod area trainers don’t put up too much fight, but I do have some close calls. I played a bit carelessly versus the Policeman with two Growlithes, forgetting how badly my team fares against Fire. I barely made it through with just Togepi remaining. It serves as a useful wake-up call to play safely versus the much more difficult double Magmar Firebreather, though. I Curse one Magmar and Stun Spore the other to nerf them. The last troublesome foe is the Pokefan with Raichu, which has the absurdly strong Thunderbolt. I need to Curse it with Gastly to actually deal enough damage before it rampages through my team.

While in National Park, I pick up the Quick Claw, which Togepi enjoys due to its low speed and Headbutt flinch chance. It also happens to be a Bug-Catching Contest day, which I partake in not because I need any more bugs, but to intentionally get 3rd place and win a Gold Berry. The original Sitrus Berry, Gold Berries aren’t actually percentage based but heal a flat 30 HP instead. While much less useful for competitive play, they’re actually more useful than a Sitrus Berry would be for most of this run, as I don’t exceed 120 HP on anything for a very long time. I also go to the Pokemon Groomer, which can boost Togepi’s happiness every day to get it closer to evolving into Togetic. Anyways, before I move onto Whitney, two new moves were learned by level throughout Goldenrod: Supersonic on Butterfree (over Harden), and Sweet Kiss on Togepi (over Metronome).

Whitney

Whitney leads with Clefairy, which as any speedrunner can attest to, can be a frustratingly random Pokemon to deal with thanks to Metronome. As such I want to take it out ASAP, though this team isn’t particularly good at that and needs to use residual damage even when trying to be quick. Gastly’s Curse is the move of choice here, and I just need to hope Metronome doesn’t want to be stupid and knock out Gastly. After that I switch to Venonat and Tackle. After that Clefairy is under a quarter of its HP, so I switch in Butterfree and again pray for Metronome to be kind and leave me with over ~2/3 HP as Curse finishes it off.

Now, the infamous Miltank comes out. Despite being 4x weak to Rock, Butterfree can survive a turn 1 Rollout as long as it has the aforementioned HP remaining, and Stun Spore Miltank. On the next turn, I Supersonic it before fainting. Gastly comes out next and knocks itself out with Curse, and I then send out Togepi. I spend the first turn using Charm to be safe, but to honest it’s probably not necessary. At this point, Miltank is paralyzed, confused, cursed, and risks a 30% flinch every turn from Headbutt – an avalanche of bullshit that intense can’t be withstood by anything. Miltank meets its predictable end in a few turns, and the Plain Badge is mine! This has another stat boost in Speed, and more importantly boosts the power of Normal moves, which ¾ of my team appreciates.

Preparing for Morty

Moving on, Venonat learns Poisonpowder (over Supersonic) on the way to Ecruteak, which helps its dismal offense a bit. The game opens up a little bit here, which is good, because Morty is obnoxious for this team and I’d like more time to prepare for him. The first thing I'd like to do is the most important, and that’s to go west to Olivine City, get the Good Rod and fish up a Krabby, my fifth team member. Krabby and Kingler probably had justifiably low Specials in Gen 1 due to how strong Crabhammer was – an 85 BP STAB move that virtually always crits is absurd. For Gen 2 though, they don’t really offer anything on the special side, making them perfect for this run. Krabby is greatly appreciated as it offers some much needed super-effective coverage for my team, as well as being my first special Pokemon which helps get around high-defense Pokemon. It’s briefly terrible with only Bubble to attack with, but this is quickly changed after defeating the Kimono Girls for the very strong Surf.

While Krabby is the most important thing I want for Morty, I’d also like to evolve Togepi, which requires some levels. I decide to go right from Ecruteak to Mahogany and deal with the Rocket Hideout so I can get Sludge Bomb for Venonat. While not important for Morty himself, I do want this TM ASAP. So I go over there and fight the trainers before the Lake of Rage, where Gastly gets to Level 21 and learns Night Shade over Mean Look. I was somewhat apprehensive about allowing this as it’s technically a damaging move that’s not off Gastly’s bad offensive stat, but honestly moves like this aren’t that good anyways. Night Shade in particular is only going to be relevant for a short time. Anyways, once I hit the actual lake an obvious flaw in my routing appears – I can’t actually calm the Red Gyarados down to start the Rocket Hideout without Surf. Between this and the remakes I’ve played through Johto over 20 times, and somehow I forgot this… Well, I still got some extra levels, so let’s go back to Ecruteak and begin progressing towards Morty.

Rival (Burned Tower)

First is another fight with my Rival. He leads with Haunter, and Venonat actually has a niche for once. Foresight removes Haunter’s annoying Normal immunity, making it much easier to hit. Haunter starts with Curse as Venonat Foresights, and Venonat loses a quarter of HP from Curse. This is easy to remove by switching to Togepi (who takes no damage), then back to Venonat. His Haunter only uses Lick to attack with after it uses Curse, and even Venonat can win this slugfest now that Haunter is corporeal. His Magnemite comes out next, which Venonat gets to chip with Tackle twice before fainting. This damage is actually relevant, as it lets Togepi secure a 3HKO with Mud-Slap. While Magnemite is faster and can possibly 3HKO with Sonicboom, it’s likely to waste a turn on Supersonic (nulled with Bitter Berry) and has to deal with successively lower accuracy on Sonicboom as well due to Mud-Slap. Afterwards Zubat comes out and I switch to Krabby who also has a Bitter Berry. Krabby usually wins with its powerful Surf, but I get unlucky with both damage rolls and confusion, so Zubat barely edges out. It’s not a big deal though, as Gastly finishes it off. Croconaw then comes in, and Gastly Curses it and goes down to Bite. Once cursed, Croconaw can’t keep up with Butterfree who easily outlasts it.

Ecruteak Gym

I should explain why I feared this gym. Let’s look at how my team fares:
  • Butterfree: Hopeless for damage, can only contribute parafusion.
  • Gastly: Deals okay damage with Lick, but for obvious reasons everything in this gym extends it the same courtesy.
  • Togepi: Very resilient, but only has Mud-Slap and Sweet Kiss to damage with.
  • Venonat: Seemingly hopeless for damage, but Foresight lets it, Butterfree, and Togepi contribute better damage.
  • Krabby: Good damage with Surf, but fragile.
It’s not great! At Level 21 I checked Togepi’s happiness with the Goldenrod Rater, and it was at least at 200, making it very close to the required 220 for evolution. There are 2 HP Ups available at this point without paying tons of money, which are equal to an extra level each in terms of happiness. Since I’m prioritizing Togepi’s exp, I need multiple trips to the Pokemon Center during the gym to refill its terrible 10 Mud-Slap PP. Togepi barely reaches Level 24 by the end, and evolves into Togetic with perfect timing. Now for the main event.

Morty

Morty leads with Gastly while I lead with Venonat. This is basically a repeat of Venonat versus my rival’s Haunter – Curse, Foresight, swap to Togetic and back, finish with Tackle as my opponent Licks. Next is his first Haunter, which is much more threatening since it has Night Shade. Venonat can take one though, and Foresights Haunter. I switch to Togetic, who can now 2HKO with Headbutt. Haunter can potentially be obnoxious with Hypnosis, but it can’t really be dangerous. If it uses Curse after Hypnosis, I can swap to Venonat and back, and otherwise all it can do it Mimic Togetic’s Headbutt and approximately 9HKO me. I could mostly avoid this annoyance if I had a second Mint Berry, but they only just become available at this point and I didn’t want to wait hours for it to respawn. In this case, Haunter opts for the quick route by immediately using Curse and getting KOd by Headbutt.

Next is Morty’s ace, Gengar. Venonat is immediately foddered to bring in Butterfree, who has a Mint Berry. Gengar demolishes any sleeping Pokemon with Dream Eater, so this is very important. Butterfree uses its one guaranteed turn to act to nerf Gengar’s speed with Stun Spore. While it’s technically optimal for Butterfree to use its next turn on Supersonic, it realistically contributes negligible if any lasting damage and just makes things take longer. On that note, while all I want is for Butterfree to go down, Gengar gets annoyingly unlucky with Hypnosis and full paralysis and takes several turns to knock out Butterfree. I couldn’t even switch out if I wanted since it traps me with Mean Look! Once Butterfree finally faints, I send in Gastly, who Curses and gets a lucky albeit unnecessary full-paralysis, netting it an extra turn of Curse damage as well as a Lick. Once Gastly gets obliterated by Shadow Ball, Krabby comes in and fires off a Surf for solid damage and gets slept by Hypnosis. The Curse damage at the end of the turn leaves Gengar in red health, but I still need to switch out since Dream Eater will undo most of my work. Togetic switches in for free, and the Curse finishes off Gengar. Even if Gastly didn’t get lucky, I could switch back to Krabby once again at this point, since Gengar wouldn’t try to Dream Eater the awake Togetic I have out.

Anyways, all Morty has left is his second Haunter. This generally can’t hurt Togetic, but Togetic is very likely to run out of Mud-Slap due to Spite. I get pretty lucky here though with a crit and some helpful Spite misses, and even then I almost run out of Mud-Slap. However, Sweet Kiss confusion could finish it off if that were to happen. At that point, it could Mimic Sweet Kiss and actually do some damage to Togetic, but Togetic would almost certainly win out. From defeating Haunter, Togetic gets to level 25 and learns Encore over Sweet Kiss.

Well, Morty wasn’t too bad all things considered, but he’s still definitely a nice fight to have out of the way. I immediately teach Shadow Ball to Gastly over Lick, who greatly appreciates it and the Ghost boost Morty’s badge provides.

Team Status:

Butterfree
Level 22
Swift/Stun Spore/Supersonic/Poisonpowder

Gastly Level 22
Shadow Ball/Curse/Spite/Night Shade

Togetic Level 25 @ Quick Claw
Headbutt/Charm/Encore/Mud-Slap

Venonat Level 22
Tackle/Disable/Foresight/Poisonpowder

Krabby Level 23
Surf/Leer/Bubble/Harden

Last edited:
Rocket Hideout and Optional Surf Areas

With Surf available, a lot opens up, but let’s start with the Rocket Hideout I attempted to infiltrate last time. While Gastly now has solid offense with Shadow Ball and Night Shade, Venonat remains as bad as ever with Tackle. Butterfree is beginning to falter now as well, with Swift showing its age among most of my team’s good STABs. At least one of the two has room for improvement… Still, this is a Rocket Hideout that is of course filled with Rocket Grunts, and as such is fairly easy even for my weaker Pokemon. Plus, Venonat benefits from the Hideout being filled with Poison-types that don’t hurt it very much. The only annoying trainer here is the Scientist with three Magnemites. Gastly, Togetic, and Krabby can all deal good damage to them, but they take a lot in return, since 2/3 are weak to Electric (and the third is well, Gastly). I’m not in danger of losing, but he puts in a lot of work for a normal trainer. The Executives near the end aren’t much trouble and should take some lessons from their Scientist. The last thing to do here is deal with the Electrodes, but they can’t actually hurt Gastly, so it deals with them effortlessly.

The exp Gastly gets from the Electrodes bumps it up to Level 25, evolving into Haunter! Then I leave the Hideout, “trade” it away and it evolves into Gengar! To think just five levels ago it was Licking as a Gastly. One hell of an improvement, I’d say. Since it still has a great defensive typing to go along with its (comparatively) great offense, Gengar is easily the best Pokemon on my team now. And speaking of huge improvements, with the Rocket Hideout cleared I can get the Sludge Bomb TM, almost quadrupling Venonat’s offense! Despite being Poison-type, Gengar can’t actually learn it in Gen 2, so there’s no opportunity cost in teaching it to Venonat. And that’s not all! Soon after this Venonat learns Leech Life, a secondary STAB move with…20 BP. Well, they can’t all be winners. It’s still more useful than Foresight at this point to help conserve Sludge Bomb’s small 10 PP. Speaking of shitty moves, I also taught the Thief TM to Krabby over Bubble, but it’s only ever worth using for Starmie/Slowbro, and barely at that.

With my team supercharged, I go on to do the optional Surf areas. As far as notable loot, I get a Mystic Water for Krabby, the Rain Dance TM, and another Gold Berry from the secret Unown room that requires Flash. I also pick up the Poison Barb since it happened to be Friday, which was always available but not relevant until now. The trainers in the Union Cave and Ruins of Alph aren’t too bad for the most part, though the Girafarig and Kangaskhan are both pretty threatening. Thankfully the trainers that have these don’t use anything else.

To Cianwood City

With the optional stuff done, it’s time to move on. I go back to Olivine and go through the Lighthouse. As is natural with Johto, the nonlinear way this part of the game is set up means something is going to be trivial. In this case, it’s going to be the Lighthouse and the sea. As I’m breezing through the trainers in the Lighthouse, Venonat learns Stun Spore over Poisonpowder, and Krabby reaches Level 28 and evolves into Kingler, which is quite nice. It also learned Guillotine, which is mostly a gimmick since it only works on lower-leveled Pokemon. It’s sort of nice for the sea’s bulkier Pokemon though, so I teach it over Harden. With this evolution, almost every Pokemon on my team has gotten some kind of massive buff recently. All except Butterfree. Still stuck with Swift, can it ever get something new? Well, fear not, for our lord and savior GameFreak has deigned to give Butterfree a new move. At Level 28, Butterfree learns Gust. I love learning basic Flying moves halfway through the game. It’s awesome. Thank you, GameFreak, hallowed be thy name. Still, it is unironically a better option that Swift, since despite being equal in power after STAB, Flying is a mostly superior type compared to Normal.

As mentioned earlier, the sea is trivial and has nothing worth discussing. Chuck’s gym is pretty easy too, and it’s the first time in quite a while Butterfree has been able to 2HKO anything. Such strength! My Butterfree is unstop…oh there’s a random Machoke with Rock Slide. Such is the life of Butterfree.

Chuck

Chuck’s pretty easy. I start with Kingler versus his Primeape, who 3HKOs with Surf and takes fairly little in return. Then all that’s left is Poliwrath, which Kingler Leers twice. Kingler itself may not be able to use physical moves, but lowering defense is still helpful for my other party members. Anyways, I then switch to Gengar, who has a Mint Berry to nullify Hypnosis once. At -2 Defense, Shadow Ball is a 2HKO. I get lucky and OHKO with a crit, but it doesn’t matter much.

After beating Chuck, I can get Fly from his wife, which is amazingly useful as a utility move, and somewhat useful as an attacking move for Togetic. Similar to Gust vs Swift with Butterfree, it’s just as strong as Headbutt and a better type, but the two-turn aspect is kind of annoying yet not terribly impactful ingame. I do end up teaching it over Headbutt though. As silly as it seems to keep Mud-Slap, it is one of my better options to hit Magnemite/Magnetons with.

Jasmine

Speak of the devil – two Magnemites. I was a bit worried about this fight, since both of these Magnemites have Thunderbolt, and my last encounter with multiple Magnemites was concerning. I have one new tool since then, though – DynamicPunch! Gengar can learn this, and I teach it over Spite. It’s strong enough to OHKO the Magnemites, but the 50 accuracy is very problematic. There’s no real way around it, so realistically DynamicPunch is half as strong as it seems, but it’s still better than the rest of my team for this! I give Gengar a PrzCureBerry to get a free turn, as Magnemite is very likely to nerf the speed of those faster than it with Thunder Wave. I miss my first DynamicPunch as it Thunder Waves into a berry, then successfully hit it next turn. I again miss DynamicPunch versus the second Magnemite, who successfully paralyzes me. Next turn it Supersonics, but I break through confusion and hit my DynamicPunch. Gengar only needs to beat the first Magnemite, though – Togetic and then Kingler can combine to KO one Magnemite by themselves.

Anyways, Steelix comes out, and I switch out to Kingler. Steelix is pretty hopeless versus Water-types, and Kingler is no exception. I deal around 2/3 of its HP as it uses Sunny Day. Unfortunately Jasmine uses a Hyper Potion, which due to the sunlight means I now 3HKO Steelix and take another hit. Not a big deal, though. Jasmine is defeated and gives my team a stat boost to Defense, which is nice.

Mahogany Gym

The gym trainers here can be a little annoying with all of their bulky Pokemon, but nothing is too bad. Gengar learns Confuse Ray, which I teach over Night Shade. I also manage to get Venonat to Level 31 here, and it evolves into Venomoth. The attack boost is fairly small, but the speed is very nice. And GameFreak once again blows providence my way and blesses Venomoth with Gust. It’s not as insulting as it was for Butterfree since Venomoth has a good move, though. It’s slightly more useful than Leech Life, I guess.

Pryce

I send out my newly christened Venomoth to fight Pryce. His Seel is almost OHKOd by Sludge Bomb, and does little damage with its turn before Venomoth finishes it off. Dewgong is next and could be 3HKOd by Sludge Bomb, but Rest is annoying and a waste of time. So I take a different approach and send in Kingler. In what will be an increasingly rare occurrence, I am actually higher-leveled than a boss Pokemon, which means Guillotine works. It takes one failed attempt before Dewgong gets the Guillotine and literally dies. RIP. Last is Piloswine, which really can’t do anything versus Water-types and loses.

With that, I get my seventh badge, and a “Special” boost along with it. Despite splitting the two stats, Gen 2 still has a lot of vestigial Special stuff from its Gen 1 roots. Like anything associated with Gen 1, it doesn’t work right. In this case, the Special Defense portion of the boost is only applied if your Special Attack before the boost is at least 231, which isn’t happening ever in this run. Oh well. The Special Attack is still nice for Kingler at least. Pryce also provides a boost to Ice-moves, which is irrelevant. Or is it…?

Team Status:

Butterfree
Level 30
Gust/Stun Spore/Supersonic/Poisonpowder

Gengar Level 31
Shadow Ball/Curse/DynamicPunch/Confuse Ray

Togetic Level 30 @ Quick Claw
Fly/Charm/Encore/Mud-Slap

Venomoth Level 31 @ Poison Barb
Sludge Bomb/Disable/Gust/Stun Spore

Kingler Level 31 @ Mystic Water
Surf/Leer/Thief/Guillotine

Last edited:
An Enigma

With 7 badges, the Rockets take over the Goldenrod Radio Tower, but something much more important happens: the road to Blackthorn City opens up. Along the way lies the Ice Path, where my final Pokemon resides. Now up to this point, 4/5 of my team members have been from Gen 1, which may give you the impression the GameFreak was worse at designing Pokemon (from a mechanical standpoint) in Gen 1. But Gen 2 makes a very strong argument for it being worse with one of the most baffling Pokemon ever created: Sneasel. To go along with its two special types, Sneasel has a horrid base 35 Special Attack. And in the original Gold/Silver, Sneasel wasn’t available until Mt. Silver, as though it was some sort of prize for reaching the end of the game. To top it off, while not a mechanical property, Sneasel’s original Gold/Silver sprites were brown with a light blue feather, very off from how its design was supposed to be. Just a very weird Pokemon overall. Crystal rectified 2/3 of these oddities with proper colors and a reasonable appearance in the Ice Path, but the baffling type mismatch that persists makes it the quintessential Pokemon for this run.

Rocket Takeover

Sneasels appear at Level 22-26 and unfortunately the one I catch is only Level 22, making it far below my party average of 31. After I catch it, I go ahead to Blackthorn to pick up the Spell Tag and give Sneasel some much-needed improvements. It equips the NeverMeltIce found in Ice Path and learns some nifty moves: a STAB Ice Punch from Goldenrod and surprisingly, Surf. Sneasel actually looks pretty good if you ignore that whole “stats” thing! Unfortunately, Sneasel’s first attempt at combat illustrates the need for those pesky stats as it 4HKOs a Raticate only two levels higher than it. It only wins due to AI stupidity and a Hyper Fang miss, and needs to be switched out for the second Raticate. This kind of battle ends up being the norm for Sneasel for a while, sadly. Sneasel does at least eke out some sort of niche for itself versus the return of the Magnemite Scientist, as its neutral Surf is one of my strongest options versus them, and it’s fairly resilient with 75 base Special Defense and no Electric weakness. At Level 25, Sneasel learns Faint Attack, giving it a second but generally worse STAB. For the first Rocket Executive, Sneasel and Kingler fight until they faint as they deal with the Koffings quickly, but once they go down Gengar picks up the slack and slowly finishes the fight while being nearly impenetrable. On to the underground.

Rival (Goldenrod Underground)

At this point, Sneasel has gotten up to Level 26 so it’s not quite caught up, and that shows in this fight as it fails to 2HKO my rival’s Golbat with Ice Punch. Still, it can get through without too much trouble with a Bitter Berry to protect against confusion. Magnemite comes out next, and while Surf is probably a better option, I use Screech twice instead. This allows Togetic to OHKO with the mighty Mud-Slap. Haunter comes out next, but I no longer need Foresight and can just hit it with Fly, and afterwards it knocks itself out with Curse. My rival then sends out his own Sneasel, which despite using physical moves isn’t a whole lot scarier than mine. Venomoth easily switches in and 2HKOs with Sludge Bomb. Last is his Feraligatr, which in any just world would win a brawl with a Sludge Bomb Venomoth, but his still has Water Gun as its attacking move. With that in mind, Venomoth unsurprisingly secures the win.

Rocket Takeover, pt2

Returning to the Rockets, Sneasel is beginning to get a little more self-sufficient, though it still can’t hope to beat heavy hitters like Muk. I pick up the valuable Amulet Coin here, which I give to Butterfree since it’s the only Pokemon without an item still. Once I finish the Underground, I go back up to finish the Radio Tower. I make sure to have Butterfree make a cameo in all the Executive fights to double their solid prize money. None are too difficult; even the final Executive is mostly handled by Kingler, with a little extra help from Togetic for Houndoom.

Blackthorn Area

I Fly back up to Blackthorn and deal with the trainers on Route 45 and 46. Sneasel finally catches up, and combined with the abundance of Ice-weak Pokemon it can start to flourish as much as a Special Sneasel can. The Dragonairs in Clair’s gym are a little annoying with Thunder Wave and Dragon Rage, but there’s never enough of them per battle to be threatening. Let’s see how Clair fares with multiple Dragonairs…

Clair

Even while using a PrzCureBerry, Sneasel can still barely get a 2HKO with Ice Punch on Clair’s first Dragonair. With Thunder Wave nulled, Sneasel gets through unharmed. Clair then instantly sends out the big boss Kingdra. The timing of this is fortunate, though, since it lets Sneasel weaken it with Screech. Sneasel can at least get two Screech attempts since it’s at full health, though Kingdra will often lead with SmokeScreens allowing it more chances. On this particular attempt, it uses SmokeScreen a lot, letting Sneasel peck it a few times with the perfect-accuracy Faint Attack for some chip damage. When Sneasel gets low, I swap to Butterfree to double the prize money, then back to Sneasel to fodder it off. With the lowered defense and chip damage, Venomoth finishes off Kingdra with Sludge Bomb. Clair sends out her next Dragonair. These are actually not as threatening as the gym trainer’s, since they lack Dragon Rage and their type coverage isn’t very useful for my main attackers. While I would like to have a PrzCureBerry for Venomoth too, the Poison Barb gives it a good chance of 2HKOing with Sludge Bomb. If Venomoth gets lucky, it can actually beat both the remaining Dragonairs. This proves to be for naught as not only do I miss the 2HKO, but Venomoth also gets crit. This means it only barely beats the first Dragonair and is quickly finished off by the last one. Gengar comes out and slugs through the final Dragonair, and with that I’ve gotten all the badges in Johto!

Victory Road

…well, not quite, I have to go to Dragon’s Den to be deemed worthy first. I try to prioritize Butterfree’s exp here since it’ll need it to keep up, but the loads of Dragon Rage makes it hard for my Gusty butterfly. As for why Butterfree will have trouble keeping up, Kanto requires Waterfall to get to. This is one of the stupidest HMs in Gen 2, since so many Water-types don’t actually learn it, and Kingler is one of those. So I need to leave someone behind for Victory Road, and Butterfree is the overwhelmingly obvious candidate. The normal trainers pick up quite a bit here, and Togetic’s low offense is definitely beginning to be felt. I can’t even imagine how Butterfree would’ve fared here. One of the Cooltrainers has the scariest Pokemon I’ve seen in a while: a Thunderbolt Magneton. This actually shocks its way through most of my team, and combined with stupidly losing my Gengar to his Earthquake Quagsire (it has Levitate, okay?), I nearly lose to this trainer. Fortunately, the remaining trainers don’t put up such a vicious fight.

Rival (Victory Road)

My rival again, and I’m handicapped with only 5 Pokemon! Well, losing Butterfree isn’t much of a handicap, admittedly, so this fight still isn’t too bad. He leads with Sneasel instead, and sadly I am too much of a coward for a Sneasel duel and lead with Kingler instead. It 2HKOs with Surf while taking little in return. He sends out his Magneton which would be a problem if it had Thunderbolt, but it still uses Thundershock which fails to KO Kingler as it 2HKOs with Surf. He sends out Golbat now, and I switch to Bitter Berry Sneasel to handle it again. Now I solidly 2HKO with Ice Punch, though the nonfatal crit I get in my recorded attempt may suggest otherwise. This is actually because of a glitch with badge boosts, where they are not applied on critical hits if the attacking stat is lower than the relevant defensive stat of the opposing Pokemon. Which in this run is almost always! Gen 1 may be the Glitch King, but Gen 2 is no slouch either.

Anyways, Feraligatr comes out and Sneasel softens it up with Screech. I switch to Venomoth, who can now 2HKO with Sludge Bomb. This still has Water Gun so the Screech isn’t necessary, but it does speed up the fight. He then sends out his Haunter, and I switch to Gengar who has a Bitter Berry to prevent Confuse Ray. Haunter uses Shadow Ball instead, which isn’t fatal, but mine sure is. His newly added Kadabra meets the same fate.

Pokemon League Preparations

And finally, the Pokemon League. Before dealing with this monstrous task, I have the old man Teleport me back to Johto and deal with some loose ends. I loot the Whirl Islands, Dark Cave, and the Waterfall section of Mt. Mortar, which gets me the Blackglasses, various vitamins, and things to sell. I also get some last minute exp for the Pokemon League from Mt. Mortar trainers, the Sages guarding Suicune and the Route 44 (before Ice Path) trainers I completely forgot to do. I prioritize Togetic, since at Level 38 it learns the genuinely mighty Double-Edge over Mud-Slap. I give it the Pink Bow to boost that now. I go back to the League, and some practice runs indicate that Sneasel should forget Surf for Rain Dance, Butterfree should forget Supersonic for Sweet Scent (yes, really), and that some vitamins would help tremendously, namely 4 Calciums each for Sneasel and Kingler as well as 2 HP Ups to be used later. This eats up a lot of my funds, but I don’t really have anything to spend it on right now anyways. With my preparations complete, I’m ready for the Pokemon League!

Team Status:

Butterfree
Level 36 @ Amulet Coin
Gust/Stun Spore/Sweet Scent/Poisonpowder

Gengar Level 36 @ Spell Tag

Togetic Level 38 @ Pink Bow
Fly/Charm/Encore/Double-Edge

Venomoth Level 37 @ Poison Barb
Sludge Bomb/Disable/Gust/Stun Spore

Kingler Level 37 @ Mystic Water
Surf/Leer/Thief/Guillotine

Sneasel Level 37 @ NeverMeltIce
Ice Punch/Faint Attack/Rain Dance/Screech

Last edited:
I'm just curious, but is there any reason you used Kingler when you could have used Gyarados?
Gyarados does not technically fit the requirements ("all of their STABs are for their significantly lower offense stat") since its Flying-type is physical, even if it only has Hidden Power to utilize it. I did consider being slightly more lenient with the requirements to have less overlapping types, though. I thought of allowing Pokemon that practically get no STAB for their main stats as well, but honestly it only really added Gyarados and Parasect as options which didn't fix the issue, so I just went with the stricter requirements since I could still get a full team.

Time for the Pokemon League!

Will

Will starts off with a team of very dangerous Psychic-types. Fortunately, Sneasel’s Dark-typing is invaluable here, though not so much offensively as 3/5 of Will’s team is weak to Ice anyways. He leads with Xatu, which is 2HKOd even without the NeverMeltIce, letting Sneasel use a Bitter Berry instead to prevent Confuse Ray. Without confusion, all Xatu can do is Quick Attack for a pittance of damage. Now, like Bugsy before, the order Will sends out his Pokemon is partially random – I’ve seen him send in all four of his other Pokemon after beating his first Xatu. Slowbro and Exeggutor seem to be more common, though. In this case, he sends in Slowbro, which uses Amnesia and Curse to become nearly impenetrable for my low offense team, Sneasel included. This love for setting up will be its downfall, though. It starts with Amnesia as I switch to Butterfree, and then Curses twice as I fail then succeed to land PoisonPowder. It uses Curse yet again as I switch to Togetic, and its fate is sealed as I use Encore, spouting obscenities until the poison consumes it.

Next out is Jynx, which can quickly be dealt with by switching to Gengar. Since Togetic is weak to Ice, it won’t use Psychic to attack, instead going for Ice Punch or Lovely Kiss. In this case it uses Lovely Kiss and triggers Gengar’s Mint Berry, and Gengar outspeeds and OHKOs it the next turn. Next out is Exeggutor, which Gengar Shadow Balls before being demolished by Psychic, then Venomoth finishes it off. Last is his second Xatu. I have Venomoth Sludge Bomb it before getting knocked out by Psychic, then send in Sneasel who deals with it easily.

Koga

Koga’s Crobat is one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the Pokemon League. It’s fast, reasonably strong, and becomes ridiculously hard to deal with once it gets some Double Teams up. Now, Koga doesn’t actually lead with Crobat, but it is related to his actual lead, Ariados. It only has Giga Drain to attack with, so I was going to throw Butterfree a bone and give it something to beat. But as it turns out, Ariados can set up Double Team and Baton Pass it to Crobat. I’ve played this game so many times and I’ve never seen this! Crobat coming with evasion to start is a nightmare, and I want to avoid it if possible. So I tried for a more offensive strategy to beat Ariados before it BPs, but I realize I literally can’t do any better than a 3HKO… an expected pitfall for this team, sadly. As I think about it more, though, I realize BP being inevitable can be used to my advantage – it doesn’t just pass the positive boosts. I start with Screech from Sneasel, then switch out to Butterfree. Butterfree Gusts it once (which only does around half even at -2 defense) which I think makes it more likely to BP, then uses Sweet Scent to lower its evasion as much as possible until it finally passes. In this case I actually manage to get its evasion to normal level, which is very fortunate. Crobat finishes off Butterfree, and I then send out Togetic. Double-Edge 2HKOs with the lowered defense, and Crobat only 3HKOs with Wing Attack. It’s also likely to use Toxic, which is a wasted turn due to PsnCureBerry. In my winning attempt it doesn’t use Toxic, which could be problematic if Koga went for a Max Potion due to Double-Edge recoil, but fortunately that doesn’t happen.

Well, that was a lot to say about essentially just Crobat, but it’s more or less the fight. Next is Forretress, which is basically harmless, so Kingler gets an easy 2HKO (usually 3HKO, but it crit) with Surf. Ariados comes back out, and I swap to Venomoth which gets a crit with Gust to finish it off. Koga then sends out his own Venomoth, but it’s a mirror match I’d surely lose since his has Psychic. I swap to Sneasel, who can relatively safely Screech it down to -6 with its Psychic immunity and Bitter Berry. I then swap to Gengar and OHKO with Shadow Ball. Last is his Muk, but all it can do to Gengar is a 4x resisted Sludge Bomb, so it’s easily taken care of with Curse and Confuse Ray.

Bruno

Bruno leads with an insanely shitty Hitmontop that uses Dig and Quick Attack (???), so this is a Pokemon that Butterfree can beat! With PoisonPowder and Gust, Butterfree barely wins, but win it does. He then sends out Onix (lol), which is an easy switch and KO for Kingler. Hitmonchan rushes out with its very weak punches, and I fodder off Butterfree to bring in Gengar at full health. It 3HKOs with Shadow Ball while only taking ~40% from two elemental punches. Enter the Hitmonlee: it gets 2HKOd by Shadow Ball while exposing Gengar with Foresight. Too bad I’m also a Poison-type! Machamp is the last Pokemon standing between me and victory, but what a wall it is. It’s very bulky, can get Max Potions, and hits anything super-hard. Fortunately the rest of Bruno’s team is such a joke that I can devote virtually all my resources to dealing with it. Gengar has enough HP to survive a Rock Slide, so it can get in two Shadow Balls before fainting, leaving Machamp with around half health. Sneasel comes in to fire off a Screech before being demolished, and then Venomoth deals the final blow with Sludge Bomb.

Karen

Umbreon is one of the most tedious Pokemon ever created, so naturally I have a tedious fight with it by whittling it away with Butterfree’s poison. I use Sweet Scent three times, then start Gusting when I get the chance. Umbreon wins out, but with its evasion nerfed Gengar can finish it off with DynamicPunch. Murkrow is next, and for some reason it feels obligated to use Whirlwind when Gengar is out instead of Faint Attack. This doesn’t really impact anything, but it is annoying since I’m just trying to switch to Sneasel. Once out, Sneasel 2HKOs it with Ice Punch. Houndoom then comes out, and Sneasel uses Rain Dance before fainting. Houndoom actually OHKOs everyone except Togetic and Kingler, but fortunately they can double team it with Double-Edge followed by Surf to win out. Vileplume gets Leered before it finishes off Kingler, and then Venomoth then easily runs through it. Her last Pokemon is Gengar, which attacks with Lick and Curse as though it’s a Gastly way back in Morty’s gym. Seriously, what? My own Gengar should have no problems dealing with it, but it actually runs out my Shadow Ball PP with a Spite. Fortunately, it’s weakened enough that a Confuse Ray self-hit finishes it off.

Gengar was slightly weakened in this fight, and that’s helpful because I want two of its own Curses to knock it off for the next fight. Gengar’s HP is currently odd (105) so two Curses will leave it with 1 HP. I originally bought the HP Ups to get Gengar’s HP to an even number, but I realized later I could just use normal Berries to bring Gengar up to just under max HP and achieve the same effect. In addition to that, I also have two other last-minute preparations for Lance: I teach Venomoth Endure over Gust, and Kingler Icy Wind over Thief.

Champion Lance

This one’s a doozy. Lance really has no weak links on his team. And that’s not good when I certainly do, like Butterfree. Speaking of, let’s see what it can do. It’s hit super-effectively by every Pokemon on Lance’s team except his lead Gyarados, so if it wants to do anything it will have to try its luck there. Well…it’s OHKOd by Hyper Beam too. But fear not, Butterfree, your life had meaning. This at least forces a recharge, which lets Sneasel get in a free Screech. Gyarados then wants to Hyper Beam Sneasel, which is a free switch to Gengar. It 2HKOs with Shadow Ball while Gyarados sets up rain. Now Lance sends out his Thunder Dragonite. Since Gengar is faster and not in KO range, Dragonite will use Thunder Wave instead of attacking, which Gengar has a PrzCureBerry to deal with. Now, it’s important to note that Lance’s Level 47 Dragonites have HP divisible by 4 (152 to be precise), which means they faint in 4 turns exactly. So this is the first of four turns towards its demise. I then swap to Venomoth, which takes around half of its health. This is one of many somewhat likely things that can screw up this fight – this can’t paralyze Venomoth. At the end of the turn, a Gold Berry heals up Venomoth to get it out of Thunder KO range and guarantee Dragonite uses Hyper Beam, a free switch back to Gengar.

Now that was the third turn, so Curse needs one more turn to finish off Dragonite. I could get around this if Gengar could just deal the remaining quarter with Shadow Ball, but you all know that’s not going to happen. I could also just use Protect, but that’s not a TM until Kanto, or I could use Detect, but that’s not learned by Gengar or Venomoth. So I’m forced into an annoyingly unreliable strategy where I use Confuse Ray to try and get a free turn. This is slightly more reliable than it sounds, since rain wears off on this turn and Thunder can miss. Overall I have a 65% chance of getting my free turn. Combined with the 70% chance of Thunder not paralyzing this is pretty obnoxious, and trust me when I say this fight is very tight and there’s not room to improvise. I end up getting the Thunder miss, and Curse finishes off Dragonite.

But wait, there’s more! Another Dragonite, this time with Blizzard, comes out. Gengar uses the last of its HP to fire off Curse again. The reason why I wanted Gengar to knock itself out with this Curse is because otherwise Dragonite might miss with Blizzard, which gives it an extra turn of Curse damage. This might sound beneficial, but I really need to have the right Pokemon out when this Dragonite faints, and this messes that up. I send in Venomoth now, who uses Endure to survive Hyper Beam. This still forces Dragonite to recharge, so it’s very abusable. I use my free turn to use Stun Spore, but it doesn’t really matter what Venomoth does here. I use Endure again and hope for Hyper Beam. Despite being at 1 HP it’s still the favored option, used around 80% of the time in my experience. I then swap to Togetic as it recharges, and that’s four turns so Dragonite’s time is up. Now Togetic is up against Aerodactyl, just as planned. I need to Charm it, which means I need to not get flinched by Rock Slide, another obnoxious thing to deal with. Rock Slide’s accuracy and my Quick Claw do even the odds a bit, though. Once Charmed, I switch out to Kingler who only takes around 20% from Rock Slide. It usually doesn’t use Rock Slide on Kingler which is nice. It uses Ancientpower followed by Hyper Beam, which after a Gold Berry leaves Kingler with 60% HP. Thanks to the Calciums Kingler got before the league, it consistently 2HKOs back with Surf.

The final Dragonite now comes out and will use Outrage, so I fodder off Togetic to send in Sneasel. Normally this Dragonite would destroy Sneasel with Fire Blast, but since it’s now locked into Outrage Sneasel can consistently 2HKO it with Ice Punch (thanks to Calciums) as Outrage fails to KO. Lance now sends out his final Pokemon, Charizard. Sneasel uses Rain Dance before being knocked out. Beyond the obvious help from boosting Surf, the rain also nerfs Charizards’s Flamethrower, which is actually its strongest option versus Kingler, dealing nearly half of its health. Kingler doesn’t start with Surf but rather Icy Wind to nerf Charizard’s speed a bit, then uses Surf and gets close to a KO, but it’s not enough as Charizard finishes with Hyper Beam. I send out my last remaining Pokemon, my 1 HP Venomoth, and Sludge Bomb it, achieving the narrowest of victories over Lance!

Crowned the new champions, this team has certainly proved itself against all odds. But there are loftier heights to reach yet…

Team Status:

Butterfree
Level 36 @ Amulet Coin
Gust/Stun Spore/Sweet Scent/Poisonpowder

Gengar Level 38

Togetic Level 40 @ Quick Claw

Venomoth Level 39
Sludge Bomb/Disable/Endure/Stun Spore

Kingler Level 38
Surf/Leer/Icy Wind/Guillotine

Sneasel Level 38 @ NeverMeltIce
Ice Punch/Faint Attack/Rain Dance/Screech

Last edited:
This LP is helping further solidify how lacking in competent game design Gamefreak has been through their years with this franchise (though these older games try more to be something worthwhile than Gen 6 onwards) and is having me appreciate more the physical/special split and the innovations in gameplay Gens 5 and esp. 4 brought to the table. Especially since Gamefreak tried ever so harder with those Gens to make games that where at least somewhat games on their own. Also, the LP is helping me appreciate hard mode hacks and how much more competently made those hacks are Mon, learnset, team composition, challenge, and the like wise than what Gamefreak has done......

New Moves

Now that I’ve beaten the Pokemon League, Professor Elm gives me an S.S. Ticket to go explore the rest of Kanto. Before I do that though, a very important NPC pops up now. For 4000 coins, I can teach Sneasel Ice Beam from a man outside of the Game Corner. The equivalent 80,000 pokedollars is a hefty price, but it’s well worth it for a much stronger STAB than Ice Punch. I could teach it to Kingler as well, but ironically Lance is probably the only fight it would help in. Another important move to learn is Return for Butterfree, which is a huge power boost. This is not a postgame TM and I’ve had it for a while, but I was reluctant to give it to Butterfree since Togetic could use it for a strong, reliable STAB. However, Double-Edge was sufficient for the Pokemon League, and honestly no fight until the very end of the game is going to push me that hard from now. At that point, I can opt for Frustration if I really need a strong STAB without recoil. It’s a pain in the ass to set-up ingame, but a little less annoying if done at the end where I won’t undo the hate with lots of levels.

Starting Kanto

Moving on to the S.S. Aqua, Butterfree uses its newfound power to sometimes even two-shot opponents! Extraordinary stuff. Now, if Butterfree isn’t having too much trouble with these trainers, then obviously everything else on my team is having no issues whatsoever. And that’s a constant for every normal trainer in Kanto, really. Even most of the Gym Leaders are pretty trivial. Given that the Pokemon League is in Kanto, it makes sense that most of the Gym Leaders are weaker than Lance, but it doesn’t make for a very fulfilling experience, unfortunately.

Lt. Surge

Despite the notable level drop from Lance, I was still a bit worried about this gym, as my team is awful versus Electric-types. Half is weak to it, the other half doesn’t resist it, and I have no Ground moves. So let’s see how this goes. His Raichu is 2HKOd by Gengar’s Shadow Ball, and it uses Thunder Wave (I need the Spell Tag, unfortunately) followed by a Thunder miss. He then sends out Electabuzz, which 2HKOs Gengar with Thunder as it fires off a Shadow Ball for around 40%. I then send out Venomoth, who uses Stun Spore to nerf Electabuzz’s speed. However, its Thunder paralyzes me, preventing Venomoth from getting another attack off. Thankfully, Togetic can finish Electabuzz off with a strong Double-Edge.

Now, let’s think about where I’m at. 2/3 of my Pokemon that aren’t weak to Electric have fainted, and Surge still has 3 Pokemon of his own remaining. So far it seems like my fear was justified. But Surge’s team begins to have some problems at this point. He sends out Magneton, which would be terrifying with a proper Electric move. All it actually has, though, is Zap Cannon. With a whopping 50 accuracy, Magneton has no realistic chance of being a huge threat. Togetic is able to dodge a Zap Cannon and use Double-Edge for around a quarter, and then gets knocked out the next turn. I send out Sneasel, who’s able to Surf it thrice and finish it off while dodging two Zap Cannons. I got luckier than I needed – as long as Togetic and Sneasel are able to get two hits off between the two of them, Kingler can finish Magneton off. Now Surge just has two Electrodes remaining. And even if these only had Zap Cannon, I would still be in a bind at this point. But they don’t even have that. No, these Electrodes do not have a single Electric-move whatsoever. Not sure how he got through the war since he clearly didn’t “zap” his enemies like he claims – I guess he just had a lot of balls? Well, however he did it, he’s certainly not winning this battle. Armed with basically nothing, the Electrodes just Swift Kingler for chip damage and get Icy Wind+Surf 2HKOed. The second Electrode eventually gives up and just uses Explosion, ending the battle. Fair enough.

Surge has some leftover text from Gen 1 that indicates a speed boost from his badge, but it’s just another lie. However, the Kanto badges do still provide type-boosts to their respective types, Electric in this case.

Saffron City

I move on up to Saffron City and obtain the Psychic TM, which has a frankly insulting distribution. All four of my physical Pokemon can learn it, and neither of my special Pokemon can. Oh well… Speaking of Psychic, Sabrina’s gym is here. The trainers are nothing worth discussing, but Butterfree does get to Level 40 where it learns Safeguard over Sweet Scent.

Sabrina

Sabrina isn’t much trouble with a Dark-type, and I have Sneasel. Her Espeon can do some damage with Swift, but it’s nothing compared to Sneasel’s Faint Attack, which 3HKOs with BlackGlasses. After Espeon, Mr. Mime comes out and can’t hurt Sneasel, so it tries to Baton Pass Barriers to Alakazam in addition to setting up Reflect. I Faint Attack it until I see Barrier, which I would undo with Screech. In this case it just uses Reflect then BPs away, though. Now, Alakazam also can’t hurt Sneasel, but Sneasel runs into an embarrassing issue. Because Faint Attack 3HKOs and Alakazam has Recover and is faster, it’s actually hard to outright KO with Sneasel. An Ice Beam freeze or a well-timed crit from Faint Attack can win out, but let’s opt for a quicker method. I death fodder Venomoth to bring in Butterfree, who survives Psychic and paralyzes Alakazam. Reflect wears off now, so after Butterfree faints Gengar can easily revenge kill with Shadow Ball. Mr. Mime comes back out next, but Gengar naturally outspeeds and also finishes it off.

Celadon City

I now go west to Celadon City, which is the source of almost everything new in Kanto. Rain Dance and Sunny Day can now be obtained multiple times, I can get the Protect and Curse TMs, and Leftovers are available in the trash. Granted, none of this is relevant for now. An annoying remnant of Celadon being an earlier city is here – I need Cut to enter the gym. I deposit Kingler to get something to deal with this, and it’s not a very big loss.

Erika

In fact, I could take much larger losses than just Kingler, since I don’t need any Pokemon besides Sneasel! Yep, special Sneasel just straight-up sweeps Erika. Tangela and Jumpluff are OHKOd by Ice Beam, and Victreebel and Bellossom are 2HKOd and use their one turn to use Sunny Day and Petal Dance (usually SolarBeam), respectively. Well, let’s move on…

Janine

Janine’s also pretty terrible, having Pokemon in the thirties. Gengar could solo her with Shadow Ball, but I switch out to Kingler once she’s down to her two Weezings, since it 2HKOs as opposing to 3HKOing. For beating Janine I finally get another use type boost; Poison for Venomoth’s Sludge Bomb. She also has the useful TM Toxic, which will be very important for later.

Misty

After dealing with the Power Generator quest, I move on to the final Gym Leader for this update, Misty. Her team is good and would actually be fairly threatening if she had more levels, but at this point her team doesn’t outpace mine by much, and I’ve got badge boosts and stat exp. Her Golduck gets off to a sad start as it’s 2HKOd by Venomoth’s Sludge Bomb while only doing around half in return with Psychic. Quagsire comes out next, but no matter what it would use on Venomoth it provides a free switch to Togetic who Encores its way into an easy win. Lapras comes out and is very tanky, so Sneasel Screeches it twice to deal with this. However, it then uses Perish Song, and the AI is smart enough to switch out when it would faint. I swap to Butterfree (on a Surf) since it has the Amulet Coin, then Return once for about half its HP. Butterfree is knocked out by Blizzard, and I send in Gengar. Since Lapras is at its final turn before perishing, Misty swaps out to Starmie and eats a nearly fatal Shadow Ball. Gengar is actually faster as well, so it finishes Starmie off without a scratch. Lapras comes back in and loses its remaining health to two Shadow Balls, only setting up rain in the process.

With that, I have Misty’s badge and enjoy a very nice boost for Kingler’s Surf. I now have 5/8 of Kanto’s badges, and that’s all in one update. Definitely says a lot about how stripped down Kanto is in these games!

Team Status:

Butterfree
Level 43 @ Amulet Coin
Return/Stun Spore/Safeguard/Poisonpowder

Gengar Level 43 @ Spell Tag

Togetic Level 44 @ Pink Bow

Venomoth Level 43 @ Poison Barb

Kingler Level 43 @ Mystic Water

Sneasel Level 43 @ NeverMeltIce
Ice Beam/Faint Attack/Surf/Screech

Last edited:
With power back up and running in Kanto, I can get the EXPN Card and awaken Snorlax. I catch it since it has a second Leftovers that could be handy. From there it’s a short trek to Pewter City, home of the “rock-solid” Gym Leader.

Brock

Brock was basically just a tutorial on type-matchups in the original games, so how has he evolved since? Well, if you’re using a Grass-type, he hasn’t, but if you’re trying to use Water-types, watch out! He has a Kabutops that can survive Surfs and retaliate with Giga Drain. Armed with this unbeatable countermeasure, my Kingler’s Surf only does around 60%, while his Giga Drain does around a third of my health. The healing isn’t enough to prevent Surf from 2HKOing, but that’s only because Kingler’s such a special behemoth. Any other Water-type would’ve been stymied by this! I shouldn’t get too cocky, though, since he also has an Omastar that can survive Surf and fight back with, um, Spike Cannon.

…okay, Brock sucks. He has three other Pokemon too, but I’ll just say they’re Rock/Ground types and move on.

I now head east to Mt. Moon where another fight with my rival awaits. Despite not being too hard this fight still merits more discussion that most Gym Leaders in Kanto, but I’m going to skip over it since beating it immediately unlocks…

Final Rival Battle (Indigo Plateau)

A fight that at least matches Lance’s levels! It’s something. He leads with his Sneasel, which is actually walled by Butterfree. Should’ve used a special one, idiot. Butterfree 3HKOs with Return, but takes advantage of its safe position to use Safeguard right before finishing his Sneasel off. Crobat then comes in and KOs Butterfree. My own Sneasel comes out, which can 2HKO Crobat with Ice Beam while being Safeguarded against Confuse Ray and only 3HKOd by Wing Attack. Now Magneton comes out, and it finally has a real Electric move – Thunder. Sneasel’s only able to get off a Surf for around a third before being knocked out. I then send out Kingler who almost KOs with its own Surf, but manages to avoid a vicious strike from Thunder. Kingler then taps away the sliver of HP, but Gengar could’ve done this with Shadow Ball otherwise.

My rival sends in his own Gengar, which even with Confuse Ray and Shadow Ball can’t beat Kingler before succumbing to Surfs. Ironically the Thunder miss just makes the fight take longer, since my own Gengar can outspeed and OHKO his with Shadow Ball. Regardless, his Alakazam comes out and Psychics Kingler for a KO, and my Gengar is out as it should’ve been a few turns ago. With the magic of badge boosts and stat exp, Gengar is faster than Alakazam and OHKOs with Shadow Ball. His last Pokemon is Feraligatr, and it’s finally upgraded from a 40 BP STAB and knows Surf now. Gengar is able to get off 3 Shadow Balls (doing 30% each) before going down to Rain Dance and two Surfs. Venomoth comes in and blows up Feraligatr with a final Sludge Bomb. That’s the last of my rival – at least he finally got good STAB moves.

I Fly back to Pewter City and make my way south now. Cal, the default Pokemon trainer at the Trainer House, puts up a decent fight with his trio of Level 50 starters, but he’s not too bad. I also pick up the Dream Eater TM while I’m in Viridian City, which Sneasel can actually learn. My only regret with not allowing sleep is that I don’t have the opportunity to try some gimmicky Dream Eater strategy :(

Blaine

Blaine is similar to Brock in that he loses to every Water type ever, and Kingler is no exception. But let’s take that one step further: I posit that Blaine loses to anything with Surf, not just Water types. And who better to test that theory than Sneasel, the worst possible Surf user with its 35 base special attack and Fire weakness? Sneasel starts off strong as it OHKOs Magcargo with Surf, and then Magmar comes in. Surf only does around half to it, but because its Fire Punch won’t OHKO Sneasel, it opts for Sunny Day instead. Next turn Sneasel reverses the weather with Rain Dance, causing Fire Punch to only do a third. At this point, Sneasel’s Leftovers start working for it. Sneasel then finishes off Magmar with another Surf, and Rapidash comes in. Sneasel 2HKOs with Surf, and Rapidash’s Fire Blast only does around half due to the rain. While Sneasel doesn’t need the Leftovers recovery to survive this Fire Blast, it does need it to not be sniper by Quick Attack the following turn. Without that sneaky option for Rapidash, Sneasel wins instead the next turn, proving that anything with Surf can indeed beat Blaine.

This isn’t actually worth the 80,000 pokedollars it would cost to relearn Ice Beam (my only relearnable move besides the Surf that I needed for this fight), so in my actual file I reset and had Kingler take care of this fight.

Now that I’ve taken care of all the riffraff in Kanto, I take care of all the trainers along the huge Route 11-15 stretch to get their previously unnecessary exp. I also wanted to go and loot the Tin Tower, but apparently in Crystal it requires catching all three of the legendary beasts, so forget that. Nothing left to do but fight Blue and finish up Kanto, then.

Blue

Blue has a revolutionary concept never before seen in Kanto – having higher levels than Lance! Granted, he doesn’t get off to the best start since he sends out Pidgeot, which just gets 2HKOd by Sneasel’s Ice Beam while doing mediocre damage with Wing Attack. He sends out his Arcanine so I fodder Butterfree off to send in Kingler safely. Kingler almost flat out loses this exchange even from full health, as Arcanine’s Flamethrowers do nearly 45% while Kingler’s Surf barely 2HKOs. Still, it’s barely enough and Kingler triumphs with a sliver of health. His Exeggutor comes in, which is an easy switch to Venomoth due to the lack of Psychic, so Venomoth can easily 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb. Rhydon comes out and finishes Venomoth, but Kingler returns the favor with Surf.

Blue now sends out his Alakazam, which Sneasel freely switches into. Like Sabrina’s, this is only 3HKOd by Faint Attack and has Recover, but now I’m faster and can deal with it quicker. Alakazam spends its first turn using Reflect, then wastes time next turn with Recover, leaving it with around 70% HP. My next Faint Attack leaves it with around 30% HP as it successfully lands Disable. Fortunately, Ice Beam isn’t that much weaker than a super-effective Faint Attack and still KOs Alakazam, saving me from a tedious battle. Blue’s last Pokemon is Gyarados, and Sneasel softens it up with a Screech before being blasted away with Hyper Beam. Alakazam’s Reflect conveniently runs out now, so Gengar comes out and 2HKOs Gyarados with Shadow Ball, ending the battle.

I’ve now obtained all the badges from Kanto. Two rewards are unlocked from this. One, an NPC in Vermillion City gives me an HP Up, which is strangely anticlimactic. The other is the one that matters. The path to Mt. Silver opens up – our final destination.

Team Status:

Butterfree
Level 48 @ Amulet Coin
Return/Stun Spore/Safeguard/Poisonpowder

Gengar Level 47 @ Spell Tag

Togetic Level 47 @ Pink Bow

Venomoth Level 48 @ Poison Barb

Kingler Level 48 @ Mystic Water

Sneasel Level 48 @ BlackGlasses
Ice Beam/Faint Attack/Surf/Screech

Last edited:
Final Preparations

I loot the entirety of Mt. Silver and the surrounding area, forgoing repels to get some last minute exp in. Most of it doesn’t matter, but the important part is that Gengar gets to Level 48 and forgets Confuse Ray to learn its final move, Destiny Bond. I then sell off everything I don’t need (a large stockpile of rare healing items, mostly), bringing me up to 380k pokedollars. I’m all set to buy any vitamins or Game Corner TMs I might need for Red, but uh…I don’t actually need any. I feel a little silly having saved up so much money for nothing, but better safe than sorry. I do have some other changes to make, though. Sneasel and Venomoth both get overhauled movesets, now using Rain Dance/Toxic/Protect/Screech and Sludge Bomb/Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk, respectively. I also use 1 of my 11 Rare Candies to boost Venomoth to Level 50, max out its Sleep Talk PP, and teach Togetic Flash over Charm (…mostly because I don’t want to deal with the dark). Now, let’s begin.

Red

[If you’re watching the video, once you get to around 8:45, I recommend skipping to 11:30 since you should basically get what’s happening]

Red has the most absurd level jump in all of Pokemon, being over 20 levels higher than Blue. He’s mercifully balanced with his terrible type coverage, but that’s not always quite enough. His lead is actually something I have no type advantage over, but fortunately it’s also Pikachu. Light Ball exists in this game, but his doesn’t have one, otherwise it would end this run by itself. I lead with Sneasel and take advantage of his Pikachu mostly using the first turn to use Charm to get a free Screech. I then use Butterfree as death fodder (notice a pattern?) to bring in Venomoth. After taking around 80% from Thunder, it OHKOs Pikachu with Sludge Bomb, and gets healed by its Leftovers a bit. Next is Snorlax, who is absolute hell without a Normal-resist, but fortunately I have something even better: a Normal-immunity in Gengar. Snorlax can only use Normal-moves to attack, so the only issue is doing enough damage to actually KO it through Rest. This isn’t too much trouble with Curse and the confusion from DynamicPunch (and somewhat the damage), so Snorlax goes down fairly easily.

Now for Espeon. Sneasel gets an easy switch in with Psychic, but watch out, Espeon has a mighty coverage move in Swift. If you think that’s funny, wait till you hear the punchline – it outdamages Sneasel’s Faint Attack 2 to 1! This is why Sneasel switched to a Toxic/Protect set up, but it still needs to be a bit crafty to defeat Espeon. After using Toxic, I use Protect once, swap to Gengar on Swift, then swap back to Sneasel on Psychic. This is a perfect stalling loop between Sneasel and Gengar, but I have an alternate objective to accomplish before Sneasel goes down – setting up Rain Dance. So I only do it the one time, then use Protect with Sneasel followed by Rain Dance. It’s now been 5/6 of the turns it takes for Toxic to finish something off by itself, so Espeon is falls to poison next turn after it runs into Protect. Now Charizard comes out and destroys Sneasel even through the rain. Kingler would have had a similarly embarrassing match-up as Sneasel did (Flamethrower does 90% while Surf does 40%), but the rain completely turns the tables and lets Kingler 2HKO with Surf while avoiding a 2HKO itself.

Red now sends out Venusaur. I switch out to Togetic as it charges up a SolarBeam, which does over half my HP. I Encore said SolarBeam, then use Flash on the following charge turn. Venusaur finishes off Togetic the next turn, and then I send Venomoth back out. Venomoth desperately needs to heal, so I Encored SolarBeam to ensure a charge turn to do this. In retrospect I probably overthought this though, as Venusaur would have gone straight for the KO on Kingler, and while Venomoth would faint to SolarBeam it could survive Giga Drain, letting it heal safely regardless. Anyways, Venusaur has Synthesis so KOing it is very problematic, and unlike Snorlax it’s not harmless. Despite the 4x resistance, SolarBeam does around a third of Venomoth’s health, and it can set up Sunny Day to assist. So this is why Venomoth dons the classic GSC STAB/Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk, to simultaneously break through Synthesis and stay alive. For those unaware, Rest and Sleep Talk is ridiculous in Gen 2, since picking Rest actually uses it and heals you up again. It resets the sleep counter as well, but it’s still very powerful. Since I’m likely to see crits, I play very conservatively which combined with Sleep Talk’s randomness means this takes a while…it’s basically a third of the fight, length-wise. I inadvertently end up stalling SolarBeam’s 10 PP out around the time I’ve gotten up a couple Curses, so things line up nicely to let Venomoth get a few boosted Sludge Bombs off as Venusaur futilely tries to heal with Synthesis. Oh hey, quick sidebar. Remember that Flash Togetic used? Venusaur missed once out of eleven attacks.

Red’s last Pokemon is Blastoise which my team is generally terrible versus, but fortunately I have my ace in the hole – Gengar’s Destiny Bond. The sun is still up from Venusaur so Venomoth can survive Surf, making it likely to use Rain Dance instead. I use this free switch to go to Gengar, which, honestly, is pointlessly risky (Blastoise might use Surf instead) since I can just wait for Venomoth to faint, but at least it’s faster! Once it’s in, Gengar barely outspeeds Blastoise and drags it straight to hell with Destiny Bond.

And so, the final trainer of Crystal is defeated, and I usurp his place in the lonely Mt. Silver to train and surprise unsuspecting trainers. Somehow, I think most people would have an easier time with my team, though…

Hall of Fame

Let’s take some time to formally review the brave yet stupid members of my team who believed in GameFreak and made this silly run possible. Unlike the usual team statuses, I’ll be ordering these by viability instead of time obtained, starting with the best.

Gengar

As the most competitively relevant and highest BST member of my team, it shouldn’t come as much surprise that Gengar is the best. Even without special moves, Gengar’s amazing Ghost typing lets it dominate so many foes, and Curse is consistently amazing for breaking down anything else. Its speed is also very helpful, and honestly its raw strength is pretty high for this team too. It’s pretty much as good as a Pokemon can be under these conditions.

Sneasel

This one might be a bit more surprising. I gave Sneasel a lot of shit when I introduced it, but it honestly exceeded my expectations and then some. Dark/Ice might damn well be the best typing you can have for ingame GSC, and despite its terrible special attack it still managed to squeeze out a surprising amount of 2HKOs. It’s also very fast, and I got a ton of use out of Screech to soften up tough Pokemon (basically anything I can’t hit super-effectively).

I’m not sure if it says more about Sneasel or the rest of my team that it gets the #2 slot…

Kingler & Venomoth

These two are tied. Kingler’s stats are dogshit, especially considering its one good stat for this run (Defense) gets less relevant as time goes on. That being said, Water is just such a valuable typing to have that Kingler ends up being crucial in so many situations regardless. Venomoth, on the other hand, has much more well-rounded and useful stats, but Poison isn’t generally a very useful type, especially when combined with Bug. Still, despite terrible beginnings as Venonat, Venomoth proved to be a consistently helpful, if not amazing, member of the team.

Togetic

Togetic had some sporadic slick plays with Charm and Encore, but after its peak versus Morty, it just kept getting worse and worse. At the end of the day, being somewhat tanky doesn’t mean much if your offense is abysmal. Double-Edge did give it some offensive edge back, but for the most part it brought it up to the level of the rest of my team, while still being slow and taking recoil damage. While not terrible, Togetic was pretty subpar in the end.

Butterfree

Butterfree may have held this team up on its back in the earlygame, but as soon as everyone else got stronger its back broke and it never recovered. Its offense became nonexistent after halfway through Johto, and Bug/Flying’s myriad of weaknesses didn’t give its useful support moves much of a chance to shine. I’m glad I found a few cute uses for it in the Elite Four, since as can be observed versus Lance, Blue, and Red, that was basically the last time it got do anything meaningful in a tough fight. Butterfree, unfortunately, comes in a distant last place.

Conclusion

When deciding what kind of run to do in Crystal, I wanted to focus on something that exacerbated Gen 2’s general feeling of being underpowered. Coming off of Gen 1, where strong TMs like Thunderbolt, Dig (100 BP!), Body Slam, Rock Slide, Psychic, and Ice Beam are all available early, Gen 2 feels like you’re hitting everything with a wet noodle in comparison (unless you’re a Water-type!). This isn’t helped by the new TMs and the level-up movepools of new Pokemon being pretty underwhelming. On that note, two of the earlier ideas I considered were restricting Pokemon to TMs and level-up moves respectively, but in either case there were enough Pokemon to fill a team with Pokemon that still got by fine. I was going to need something with a bit more oomph.

In the end I thought of this run, which restricted not only move choice but had an additional layer of challenge by pigeonholing Pokemon into their off-stats. And this run certainly did exemplify feeling underpowered, especially in the beginning when I was stuck with Tackle, Lick, and Mud-Slap. Even later on, I still had to constantly wonder if Sneasel could 2HKO, and met embarrassing obstacles like being unable to 2HKO an Ariados, or do a quarter of HP to a Dragonite. So it was certainly successful in that respect. That being said, once getting to the second half of Johto, I was worried whether or not this run was actually going to be a challenge at all with my fancy new STAB moves. It took more hits to KO Pokemon than a usual run, but nothing really tested me for a while. That definitely changed when I got to the Pokemon League, though, as my 1 HP victory over Lance can attest to.

In the end, I think this is just a pitfall of trying to do challenge runs in GSC – there’s so many fights that are just stupidly easy. And unlike say, XY, where that lack of challenge is consistent and you can design your run around that, for GSC you have to be able to beat fights like Lance and Red. So shit like Chuck, Pryce, or most of Kanto are never going to be hard at all if you want to actually beat the game. But despite all these lulls in between, this run had some very rewarding highs and did prove to be a challenge in the end, so I’m glad I did it and shared with you all.

If you’re a newer reader, I have some older challenge write-ups you may be interested in. For runs with more consistently difficult fights, you can check out my Untrained NFE Run in X that ends up using underpowered Pokemon in its own way, or my Aurorus Solo in Sun that’s more into utilizing a glass cannon. I’ve also done a No Center/No Mart Run in Yellow and a No Healing Run in Sapphire that focus more on longtime resource preservation instead of tense individual fights. Despite being a bit of a shift from this run they’re worth checking out all the same.

Thanks for reading!

I always love reading your gimmick challenge runs of games, this one was also a treat.

I wonder how much harder this run would be in HGSS. Levels are higher, movesets are generally more competent and the special/physical split would tweak what attacks you can actually use. Ironically Butterfree would probably be marginally better? It gets to use Aerial Ace & U-turn instead of Gust and Nothing. & Bug Bite off Caterpie if you keep it around

I just discovered and watched your playthrough, that was a sick challenge. Congrats!

ps. Destiny Bond gen2 fainting animation is so cool, shame it only lasted one gen

I always love reading your gimmick challenge runs of games, this one was also a treat.

I wonder how much harder this run would be in HGSS. Levels are higher, movesets are generally more competent and the special/physical split would tweak what attacks you can actually use. Ironically Butterfree would probably be marginally better? It gets to use Aerial Ace & U-turn instead of Gust and Nothing. & Bug Bite off Caterpie if you keep it around
I just discovered and watched your playthrough, that was a sick challenge. Congrats!

ps. Destiny Bond gen2 fainting animation is so cool, shame it only lasted one gen
Thanks!

As far as HGSS goes, it would probably be harder, but I'm not sure by how much. Sure, enemy movesets are much more competent, but I get a lot of solid improvements and options for my team as well. Butterfree has somewhat usable STAB as you noted as well as Tailwind, Togetic gets Fighting moves and can either get Hustle for stronger but inconsistent physicals or Serene Grace for Headbutt BS, and Sneasel gets a stronger Dark STAB with Dark Pulse. Then there's the options that multiple team members have access to like Substitute, Roost, Taunt, Torment, and dual screens, which can be lifesaving depending on the situation. There's also powerful hold items, most notably Choice Specs and Choice Scarf. Like, I was thinking about how if Lance was harder, it would be a huge issue given how narrowly I beat Lance here. But then I thought about how Specs Blizzard is a huge power boost over NeverMeltIce Ice Punch, and that Sneasel could probably OHKO Dragonites with some Calcium support, simplifying that fight considerably (though accuracy is a concern). While I'm sure not every fight would gain that big of a boon, the point is that I'm also much more competent.

So overall, I'd say it'd probably be a single step above in difficulty compared to this (very quantifiable, I know).

Are you going to do another challenge run soon? Ive gone through all your other ones and Im in awe these are amazing

Are you going to do another challenge run soon? Ive gone through all your other ones and Im in awe these are amazing
I don't plan to do any soon since these take a lot of time to do. This one was a bit more casual for the most part (except taking nearly eight hours to plan out the Pokemon League...), but my previous runs took a lot longer than a normal playthrough since I needed to find working battle strategies and/or exp routes. And the write-ups themselves are also time-consuming. So that's why I space these out a few months every time; to avoid burnout. Sword and Shield are coming out in a few months which should align pretty well with when I feel like doing a challenge run again, so they'll likely be the games I do next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)