Just like old, noobish times (Shedinja team Peaked #39)

Just like old, noobish times.​

^true story
  • Introduction

Hi Smogon, welcome to this new Ubers RMT. Today i'll show you a quite particuliar team that, if it wasn't clear enough, is based around my favourite pokemon, Shedinja. Before i start, i want to make clear that THIS ISN'T A GIMMICK TEAM. is a serious competitive Ubers Team that has climbed the ladder Ubers two times peaking at #39, and that has beaten some skilled player.

This team has actually a little story behind it (that probably you won't give a shit about). the team is a reconstruction of a similar team made by me in DPPt. i found it while a was looking my old teams on PO, and when i found this, i decided to readact it to the modern Ubers Metagame using my improved skills. after many changes and tries, the team has become a vialable and competitive team. the title refer to the fact to those times when i was a noob that put shedinja in every team because it is my favourite pokemon and i thought that it was invincible. i was losing a lot back in time, but it was very fun using Shedinja, as it's now with this team.

As said in the title, this team has peaked #39 in the current Uber Ladder and #43 in the Uber Suspect Test ladder. here's the Screen:

This is just to demostrate the vialability of the team, and that shedinja is viable in Ubers just like every other pokemon (well, not really, but is better than Charizard and Gastrodon, or not?)

• Team Preview

• Building Process

The team has started from the only usable Shedinja set in Uber, the pivot one, because SD Sucks and it will never sweep. then, i needed two things to be successful with shedinja: a Weather and something to get rid of Hazards. since Shedinja is a great counter to Rain teams, i put a Groudon it to keep the weather up better against Sand teams. for Entry Hazards, since spinning in fucking impossible in Ubers, i decided to use a Espeon to bounce them to the enemy. Looking at the team weakness, i noticed a big Fire Weakness, as well as Specially-Based dragons that can pass through shedinja. a Support Arceus-Water fit perfectly here. last, i obviously wanted some kind of offense, because is a Balanced team. first, a Revengekiller for my Weakness to Extremekiller, Darkrai and Rayquaza, aka Terrakion, and something for Arceus-Ghost and for Stall Teams, as well as a win condition and a Late Game Sweeper. My choice was Darkrai.

• In Detail

Groudon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Dragon Tail
    - Stealth Rock

• Description
      A pretty standard set for groudon here, nothing much to say about it. i choose it for weather reliability against Sand Teams and as a good physical wall for checking some pokemon threating to Shedinja, like Zekrom, Rayquaza, Extremekiller or Kabutops. The set is standard, you all know it well, with some Speed Creep for Ho-ohs and Dialgas and Dragon Tail instead of Roar to get some nice cheap damage on Arceus, so that Terrakion can OHKO it with Close Combat (that motherfucker can even live a Close Combat, it needs to be at 80-90%). Stone Edge is for groudon and Ho-oh and Earthquake is Earthquake. i wish i could have a Fire move to lure and kill Forretress and Ferrothorn thinking they can setup Hazards on it, but all the moves are important.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Wonder Guard
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - X-Scissor
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Baton Pass

• Description
      <3 my love <3 without doubt the best pokemon in Ubers lol (haters gonna hate).well, actually it isn't, but is still good. First of all, it counters EVERY Fucking Kyogre set in existance, so this team can't be disrupt by a SpecsKyogre spamming Water Spout. But, apart from the king of ubers, it counter even most rain pokemon like Manaphy and Swift Swimmers, and it checks Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, Latwins, Dialga, Genesect and Palkia without Fire moves, as well as most CM Arceus, all the Choiced pokemon and Rayquaza locked in Outrage. as said, Swords Dance sucks, it can't even OHKO Ghost Arceus at +6 lol, so i prefer using it as a pivot. with Baton Pass it can switch on something it isn't hitten by, such as kyogre, and gain momentium. Will-o-Wisp is for crippling physically-based switch-ins. i choose to run both STAB moves because Mewtwo with Fire Blast is a bitch, and X-Scissor + Shadow Sneak OHKOs it before it can OHKO me thanks my Focus Sash. i'd prefer to run Protect to scout random Hidden powers, but X-Scissor is important. the Jolly nature is because i don't need to hit hard, and with it i can outspeed Skarmory and Scizor and Baton pass before they can setup hazard or pursuits me. while i know that is easy to eliminate, with hazards and statuses, with all the support the team gives to him, it can work at his best. don't hate him so much, please.

Darkrai @ BlackGlasses
    Trait: Bad Dreams
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Substitute
    - Nasty Plot
    - Dark Void

• Description
      well, i wanted to have a sweeper, and, since the Sleep Clause was Absent, it would be a shame not abusing Darkrai, am i right? well, actually, i insert darkrai in the team because i wanted a good GhostCeus Check and a speedy Dark Void that can save the match if something like CM Arceuses start setupping too much. Dark Void is good for Shedinja too as a back up if Espeon goes down, preventing Hazards by putting the user to sleep. i decided to run the SubNP Set because the problem of darkrai is that is easy to revengekill, and the substitute can help with that. as for item, i prefer using Blackglasses, because, otherwise is to weak. for example, at +2 with BlackGlasses it can OHKO all variants of Latias and Giratina, while Leftovers can't.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - X-Scissor
    - Sleep Talk

• Description
      Seriously, i'm using Terrakion more in Ubers than in OU lol. this is because i think that is the best Revengekiller in the tier, tying with Genesect. Terrakion fix my team's weakness to Extremekiller, Darkrai and Rayquaza by revengekilling them with his powerful STAB moves. sometimes it can even pull off a late-game sweep if Ghosts are removed, seen that most team doesn't have many Fighting resists. X-Scissor is for revengekill mewtwos if needed, it does around 57% to the Standard psycho killer set, which is goodsince a CM Set with Fire Blast can destroy this team, if given the chance. last, Sleep Talk is for Darkrai, since switching Espeon on it trying to bounce back the Dark Void isn't always a good idea.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic
    - Recover

• Description
      This Arceus is the glue that hold the team together. Is a good check to most Special Dragons that can hurt Shedinja, like Kyurem-W, Reshiram and Ho-oh, as well as a back up for Kyogre if Shedinja goes down. well, is actually a general Back up for shedinja, since it check basically the same things. Ice Beam and Flamethrower are my attacking moves of choice, the former hitting a good portion of the tier super effectively, the latter for OHKOing Forretress and Ferrothorns switching on it, and is his most powerful move in the sun. Toxic in the third slot is there because i don't know what to put in lol. however, is a good move to use on Ho-ohs and is better against Palkia and kyurem-W than Ice Beam. i give it more speed that the set on site, enough to outspeed non-Scarf Palkia, since most of the time they can get lucky with thunders and 2HKOs Arceus-Water. is good also for outspeeding timid variants of Kyurem-W and Reshiram and recover before they can hit with Draco Meteor twice.

Espeon (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Grass Knot
    - Yawn

• Description
      An italian proverb says "Prevenire è meglio che curare", it means that to prevent hazards is better than spin them afterwards, since with Giratinas and Arceus-Ghost, spinning is impossible in Ubers. Espeon has proved to be the more apt change to the old team because i think that Magic Bounce is better than Rapid Spin in Ubers. The Moveset is the one i take from ubers C&C, and is made to switch and kill the majority of the Ubers Hazards setters.: Hidden Power Fire OHKO Forretress, Skarmory and Ferrothorn, as well as Genesect (you have no idea on how many times i OHKOed a Genesect that has switched on it lol) while Grass Knot serves for Groudon, OHKOing Offensive Variants and 2HKO max HP ones. Psyshock is a strong STAB that prevents Ho-oh from Subbing on me, and deals nice damage to pokemon neutral to it. Yawn is prevent Espeon from becoming setup fodder, and it helps me with SmashPass teams. is also the best move i have against Dialga, that, with Tyranitar and Mold Breaker Excadrill, are the only Hazards setter that can beat Espeon. The Focus sash serves to switch on pokemon like Groudon and Dialga and to not being OHKOed if they predicts my Switch-in and uses an attacking move. It can also saves me from a Blaziken at +2, that can easily 6-0 this team if it setup a Swords Dance. I don't know while i choose it over Xatu, but has worked so well to me that i didn't even try it. It is not the best pokemon, but he has a good niche and can work well if used correctly.

• ETT
    Groudon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Dragon Tail
    - Stealth Rock

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Wonder Guard
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - X-Scissor
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Baton Pass

Kyurem (Darkrai) @ BlackGlasses
    Trait: Bad Dreams
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Substitute
    - Nasty Plot
    - Dark Void

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - X-Scissor
    - Sleep Talk

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Espeon (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Grass Knot
    - Yawn

Hmm, seems an interesting one, I gotta try that team.I'm kinda noob, so I can't give you a full rate, but luvdisc'd for the creativity!

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm half tempted to suggest either replacing espy with xatu/forry lol. Espy can't tank anything and is relatively easy to bypass. Espeon can't risk switching in on groudon/dialga/deo-a and potentially S simply because it'll get hit far too hard if your opponent opts to attack rather than try to set up hazards. Xatu can at least wall groudons lacking stone edge and forry can toxic spinblockers on the switch which is arguably more useful. If you insist on using espeon I'd at least advise dual screen variant since it at least prolongs its longevity.

Also ditch shedinja since although it might be the theme of your team it ultimately provides no purpose considering the massive amount of phazing in the tier (also the fact that a lot of the threats you mentioned carry fire moves to deal with ferro/forry)

well, the Focus Sash is there for this reason. Espeon can Switch on Groudon, use Grass Knot and kill it. Deo-S can 2HKO it only with the uncommon Dark Pulse. And about the opponent that can opt to attack, you can overpredict him: for example, if a Deo-A has the sash broken, yoy can send shedinja and Shadow sneak it (stupid Example). Forretress can pass spinblockers, because Giratinas can Rest the toxic damage and GhostCeus can kill forry anyway or Sub on it if i mispredict.

And i will not ditch shedinja, i build the team around it, it would be stupid to change it now. is my counter to Kyogre, Latios and all the pokes i mentioned, and is a pivot that can switch on them, gain momentium with BP, burn something or revengekill weakened pokes. so it does something.

thanks for the rate anyway, i will try xatu tho.

well, the Focus Sash is there for this reason. Espeon can Switch on Groudon, use Grass Knot and kill it. Deo-S can 2HKO it only with the uncommon Dark Pulse. And about the opponent that can opt to attack, you can overpredict him: for example, if a Deo-A has the sash broken, yoy can send shedinja and Shadow sneak it (stupid Example). Forretress can pass spinblockers, because Giratinas can Rest the toxic damage and GhostCeus can kill forry anyway or Sub on it if i mispredict.

And i will not ditch shedinja, i build the team around it, it would be stupid to change it now. is my counter to Kyogre, Latios and all the pokes i mentioned, and is a pivot that can switch on them, gain momentium with BP, burn something or revengekill weakened pokes. so it does something.

thanks for the rate anyway, i will try xatu tho.

PS. how can i modify the first post?

I remember facing this team on the ladder, fuck that Shedinja. You could try Thunder Wave over Toxic on Arceus, because since you have a lot of Special Bulk, it'll be easier to cripple things like Lati@s or Palkia. You could also try Morning Sun instead of Yawn on Espeon, but I do see Yawn's purpose. Fantastic team!

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
I remember you. Props for actually making Shedinja work relatively decently; it will probably never be in a top team, but I remember losing to this on occasion even with some quite solid teams.

You could also try Cloyster over Espeon to give you a spinner that actually threatens the main spinblockers. Both have their merits, so it should be worth testing.

The only thing I would suggest changing:
1. Giga Drain > Flamethrower on Arceus-Water. This allows you to get recovery if Taunted, and hit Kyogre harder on the switch-in. If it is weakened it is better to just KO it then to Toxic it. Giga Drain is also super-effective on Tyranitar and Hippowodon.

Otherwise you have a great team!

blitzlefan

shake it off!
The only thing I would suggest changing:
1. Giga Drain > Flamethrower on Arceus-Water. This allows you to get recovery if Taunted, and hit Kyogre harder on the switch-in. If it is weakened it is better to just KO it then to Toxic it. Giga Drain is also super-effective on Tyranitar and Hippowodon.

Otherwise you have a great team!

I wouldn't advise running Giga Drain > Flamethrower, because Giga Drain is pitifully weak, and has pretty bad coverage. Without Flamethrower, Arceus-Water can't even touch Ferrothorn, as Ice Beam will do a pathetic 13.92 - 16.47%. Furthermore, Giga Drain isn't hitting Kyogre very hard anyway, (Giga Drain: 25.14 - 29.82%).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)