Kangaskhannon (Topped 1870+)

Kangaskhannon:
Pooh Bear don't fuck around.
Hello RMT!

The main thing I want to get out of this RMT is help with this team. I don't want to make it conform to a certain playstyle, or to make it more balanced against a certain threat. I want it to be better. If that requires balancing, or adhering to a playstyle, so be it.

"But the team is ranked 1800+! It can't be any better!" Yes it can! I'm a believer that anyone, at any ranking can offer good advice on a team, so all opinions and ideas will be heard out.

With all of that nonsense out of the way, here's the team:

(Genesect, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are the odd ones out, since they don't come out until Bank)
First is our leading lady, Kangaskhan-M (and Roo!)

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Kangaskhan is the team's main sweeper, attacker, cleaner, and all around swell gal, as well as the team's namesake. Mostly, she'll be receiving boosts from Scolipede and sweeping, but in a pinch she works great as a hit-and-run attacker. The set may seem a little strange, and off from the norm. Power-Up Punch is on there at the bequest of multiple raters, although Kanga misses the recovery. Return is the obligatory main STAB and attack, although it is really only needed in a blue moon, often the utility of its other attacks is enough to warrant their use. Fire Punch is fabulous, and lets it hit the likes of Skarmory and Ferrothorn, who believe the worst they have to fear is a neutral suckerpunch. Sadly though, it can't OHKO a Ferro unboosted, and takes recoil with both hits, often leaving it at 50% or lower. Finally, Sucker Punch rounds out the set and allows it to function as a revenge killer, and allows it to hit Talonflame (when set up) before they can hit it, a feat that may seem impossible. The only thing this set has to fear is picking up a burn, especially with no attack boosts. One Swords Dance passed alleviates that issue (at least somewhat), and I've been able to power through weakened teams, even when burned.

Next up is my first level 100 and poison type homeboy,
Scolipede.

Scolipede @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Iron Defense
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Scolipede is pure support. No attacking nonsense for this bug. While it may seem like complete Taunt bait, it will either come in first against opposing Smeargle and Forretress to facilitate a 6-0 sweep, after most of the opposing team's defensive threats with Taunt have been taken out, or very last in the battle as death fodder, where a Taunt won't matter, because it's going to die. The way it gets used goes a little like this: a switch is predicted into a physical attacker/something dies to a physical attacker. Scolipede comes in, and puts up an Iron Defense, or a Substitute if it's something like Trevenant. Scolipede sets up 2-3 Iron Defenses, to the point that nothing short of a Talonflame can easily break its sub without boosts. Then it will throw up a SD, make sure a sub is up, and pass to Kanga for the sweep. Sometimes Scolipede doesn't come in on the ideal situation, so it might just go for a SD and pass, or a substitute and pass. Gliscor and Togekiss both appreciate speed boosts, and a sub can make Porygon2 and Genesect a force to be reckoned with, so it is not dead weight if Kanga goes down early.

Next is the newest member of the team, and a good buddy of Landorus-T, Gyarados.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Def / 88 HP / 168 Spd / 248 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Gyarados has replaced Togekiss, and for good reason. It gives Scolipede an alternate sweeper to pass to, and also helps to neuter physical attackers with Landorus. Taunt is over substitute to take out things like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, and the occasional set up sweeper. Dragon Dance allows it to set up without Scolipede assistance, and pull off an early sweep. Waterfall is its best STAB move, and the most reliable. Bounce, while less reliable, provides it the ability to hit more things for more damage, as well as giving it a little extra healing time. In testing so far, it meshes well with the team, but the low accuracy on Bounce has lost me matches.

Fourth is one of the premier offensive pivots this generation,
Landorus-T.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Thanks again to TCR for this set; it works amazingly well. Assault vest and HP Ice are run in favor of Stealth Rocks, giving it more staying power, which this team loves. Rock Slide allows it to counter Talonflame (although I haven't seen very many recently, huh), as well as things like Volcarona. I am debating running Stone Edge for increased power, especially since I haven't needed to use Rock Slide very frequently. Earthquake is the go-to move, and will OHKO things like Heatran and Excadrill that can pose a major threat to the rest of the team if they go unchecked. U-Turn helps to keep up the momentum, wallbreak, and forms a VolTurn core with Genesect and Rotom-W. Like Kanga, he misses the passive healing of Leftovers, and is worn down by entry hazards.

The defensive pivot of this team is everyone's favorite (Or least favorite) washing machine,
Rotom-W!

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp

Rotom-W is another fine suggestion by TCR. It replaces Porygon2, having worse defenses, but much better momentum carrying ability and team support. ChestoRest allows it to outplay things that think they can wear it down to get it out of the way. It can absorb enemy status because of Rest, and the only issue it has is when the berry is gone. WoW allows it to cripple physical threats that switch into it, especially when it is resting. Volt Switch/Hydro Pump are on it, as per standard Rotom-W, providing it with great coverage and synergy with the rest of the VolTurn core.

Finally, we come to the purple beast himself,
Genesect.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Formerly a Frog, Genesect received extensive plastic surgery and body modifications to become who he is today (If that flew over anyone's head, I replaced Greninja with this bad boy). He's generally my dedicated lead, able to effectively scout or flat-out KO most other leads, bar other Genesect (Don't want to risk losing a speed tie and immediately being down one mon). U-Turn is what allows him to scout, and do a good chunk of damage to Rotom-W before going to Rotom-W for the burn/Volt Switch. Thunderbolt/Ice Beam create the boltbeam coverage seen on Porygon2, and Flamethrower helps it to deal with things like Ferrothorn that give the rest of the team issues. Generally, Genesect will lead, U-Turn, and then be used solely as death fodder and/or an excellent revenge killer.

So, that's the team. Sweeper, Supporter, Status Spammer, SWAT cat, Super-Shrimp, and Speed Demon. They can be played to good effect, and often are. However, they often fall to the same threats, and have trouble if the opposing team can lay down hazards. I'll write and compile a threats list to complement the post below.

Importable!
Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Scolipede @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Iron Defense
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 88 HP / 168 Spd / 248 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp

P.S.- The formatting at the top was looking wierd in preview, so if it sticks that way, I apologize in advance.

Last edited:
Threatlist:

Mega Lucario: Both the Physical and Special variants give the team trouble. Due to the semi-stallish defensive nature the team is played in, it can often get up a Swords Dance. The only hope at that point is to sack something and allow Genesect to come in and get the revenge kill. If it doesn't boost, and isn't special, Gliscor can take mostly anything it packs bar Ice Punch, and KO back with EQ.
Blissey: Bliss is less of an overall threat, but more of an annoyance. Scolipede can't reliably set up on it due to Sesimic Toss, Porygon2's best option is Toxic, and that is nullified on switchout, and the rest of the team is annoyed, but not walled by it.
Rotom-W: This thing is a pest, pure and simple. Kanga hates burns from it, Scolipede can't set up on it, Togekiss can't TWave it, and is weak to Volt Switches, Gliscor despises Hydro Pump, Genesect can't OHKO it, and a burn is no fun on a revenge killer. The only thing that can truly handle it somewhat well is Porygon2, and it still doesn't like getting burned. It also relies on Toxic to do effective damage to it as well.
Ferrothorn: Like Bliss, this falls into the "pest" category. It can run train on Scolipede, turning Speed Boost into a liability with Gyro Ball, and pestering the rest of the team with Leech Seed. Togekiss simply shudders at the thought of a mention of a damage calculation from 13 weeks ago in the middle of the Sahara of Ferrothorn's gyro ball. The best way to deal with it is to predict a hazard setup, and switch in Genesect. Also, predicting it on the switch will result in a kill from Gene, but who in their right mind switches a Ferrothorn into a Genesect?
That's all I can think of off the top of my head that are obvious, but I'll edit if I think of more. Happy rating!

EDIT: While the prior threats have become somewhat less relevant with the changes to the team, there have been others that have become nuisances in their stead.

Skarmory: Skarm isn't so much an issue in its prowess offensively; it's the difficulty of the team touching it that hurts me. Considering the lack of passive recovery (even with a number of spikes immunities), constant Whirlwinds are a major hinderance. Scolipede can't hope to set up if there's a Skarm in team preview, so it becomes priority #1. However, it's a tough bird to cook. Rotom-W has the best shot at it, but Volt Switch forces it out, which doesn't help at all. Genesect can force it out, but due to the scarf, it has to be predicted, and ground type teammates put a hole in TBolt spam. Landorus would be the ideal check, but HP Ice does a pittance, making it less relevant.

Jellicent: Jellicent is an excellent counter to Mega Kanga. It also frequently carries Taunt and WoW, meaning that Scolipede is a sitting duck against it, and Kanga can't spam Sucker Punch due to a burn neutering it. Gyarados, however, can Taunt it, then use the time to set up. It doesn't like Scald at all, and every turn it is out against this behemoth is a risk. Again, the optimal attackers are Rotom-W and Genesect, but by the time a Jellicent is in play, hazards are typically up.

Priority Moves: The only priority the team packs is on Kanga, and seeing as it is the main sweeper, it is often quite risky to send it in to deal with fast threats. Opponents that pack priority become a big problem for the team, since they can hit before the team has a chance to respond.

Passive Damage: This is what truly kills the team. A lack of healing on many things, especially the main sweeper and offensive pivot seriously hurt this team. Opposing stall teams can often take advantage of this, and lead to the main threats against the team being stall-oriented. A cleric/wallbreaker would be fantastic to improve overall team strategy, but it seems that there is no room for one as we speak. I'd love to hear suggestions!

Last edited:
I am most definitely new to most of this and have been a lurker for a while, but can you explain the speed EVs on the scolipede? What it needs to outspeed to get that iron defense up before a speed boost and stuff.

I am most definitely new to most of this and have been a lurker for a while, but can you explain the speed EVs on the scolipede? What it needs to outspeed to get that iron defense up before a speed boost and stuff.
That's one of the things that could be a good change, thanks for pointing that out. One of the main things it needs to outspeed is Smeargle, but that's far from the only thing. I'll have to look at the threatlist, but I can see taking some out of speed, and putting them into Defense or Sp. Def.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
"But the team is ranked 1800+! It can't be any better!" Yes it can! I'm a believer that anyone, at any ranking can offer good advice on a team, so all opinions and ideas will be heard out.
I hate to burst your bubble man, but 1800 is actually not that good, disregarding how ladder rankings dont really mean anything anyway. This also disregards how the ladder is really bad anyway, almost as bad as last generation's LC ladder. The ladder really doesnt start to shape up until hitting 2000, but then im rambling and thats not what i came to this thread for.

First off, your team seems like its trying to do two things at once. Bulky offense is fine, but you take some stall pokemon, mix them with some offense, and then jut throw them at your opponent without any apparent win condition. As such, defensively oriented teams really give you trouble, as you fail to break through them, hyper offensive teams give you trouble as you dont have good enough pivots to stop momentum and shift from them to you. Even bulky offense runs you over with things like charizard x, charizard y, among others. Mega Kang without PuP is kind of dead weight.

First off, change Drain Punch to Power-up Punch. This gives you a nice win condition, and you really dont need the recovery. Changing Gliscor to Offensive Pivot Landorus-Therian gives you pretty much the same thing as your gliscor with better bulk and more pivoting potential. It also gives you stealth rocks, making charizard megas unable to come in as often, while also being an emergency check to Mega Lucario with intimidate. However, if you arent that worried about stealth rocks and care to be an even better all around pivot and check to NP Mega luke, you also have the option of running Assault Vest. Your call. I prefer AV Landorus but its w/e.

I would also switch Porygon to ChestoResto Rotom-W. Porygon is a relatively poor pivot, but a great wall. Rotom W allows you pretty much the same that Porygon did, with Volt Switch to gain momentum while also being nice checks to talonflame, garchomp, and non mega Gyarados. It functions really well with landorus and genesect in psuedo shuffling with Voltturning everything and forcing switches.

I really hope I helped your team, hopefully it can push you past 1800 and actually get somewhere. Good Luck with your team!

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 248 Def/ 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/ 72 Atk/ 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- HP Ice
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

So I really like your team as I do see some unusual sets but I mean if you are going to use MegaKan, you better use it right. I say switch drain punch with PoP, that is mandatory. An opotional switch is from fire punch to EQ, which also handles most steel types. Since I dont think you should change any pokemon, I think your gliscor should go back to its roots as a toxic staller and just pick one offensive move.(or do what TCR said and switch it for Lando-t). but with gliscor using toxic that frees up a slot for your porygon which should be tbolt or tri attack. mainly because your genesect will probably be dead before it getrs to deal with any bulky water types, and tbolt would really help. I am personally partial to tri-attack because it is my favorite move in game and gets some nice stab damage.

These are all just minor changes that might provide your team with more synergy, but I would recommend either making all of my suggested changes or none of them because they all kind of build off each other. EXCEPT PoP put that on Kanga ASAP.

I hate to burst your bubble man, but 1800 is actually not that good, disregarding how ladder rankings dont really mean anything anyway. This also disregards how the ladder is really bad anyway, almost as bad as last generation's LC ladder. The ladder really doesnt start to shape up until hitting 2000, but then im rambling and thats not what i came to this thread for.

First off, your team seems like its trying to do two things at once. Bulky offense is fine, but you take some stall pokemon, mix them with some offense, and then jut throw them at your opponent without any apparent win condition. As such, defensively oriented teams really give you trouble, as you fail to break through them, hyper offensive teams give you trouble as you dont have good enough pivots to stop momentum and shift from them to you. Even bulky offense runs you over with things like charizard x, charizard y, among others. Mega Kang without PuP is kind of dead weight.

First off, change Drain Punch to Power-up Punch. This gives you a nice win condition, and you really dont need the recovery. Changing Gliscor to Offensive Pivot Landorus-Therian gives you pretty much the same thing as your gliscor with better bulk and more pivoting potential. It also gives you stealth rocks, making charizard megas unable to come in as often, while also being an emergency check to Mega Lucario with intimidate. However, if you arent that worried about stealth rocks and care to be an even better all around pivot and check to NP Mega luke, you also have the option of running Assault Vest. Your call. I prefer AV Landorus but its w/e.

I would also switch Porygon to ChestoResto Rotom-W. Porygon is a relatively poor pivot, but a great wall. Rotom W allows you pretty much the same that Porygon did, with Volt Switch to gain momentum while also being nice checks to talonflame, garchomp, and non mega Gyarados. It functions really well with landorus and genesect in psuedo shuffling with Voltturning everything and forcing switches.

I really hope I helped your team, hopefully it can push you past 1800 and actually get somewhere. Good Luck with your team!

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 248 Def/ 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-Wisp

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/ 72 Atk/ 184 SpD
Adamant Nature
- HP Ice
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
Thank you. Thank you. This is exactly what I needed, and what I was looking for with the RMT.

As for the changes, thanks again. I had been thinking of putting PuP on Kanga, but I'd frequently use Drain Punch so I wasn't sure. Landorus-T is awesome, I can't believe I didn't think about that sooner. Intimidate is so much more useful, and SR can end up being really valuable. Rotom-W is interesting. I hadn't thought about using it, but the Chesto Rest set is intriguing. I'd guess that it's able to take hits similarly well to Porygon2, no? If it isn't, it may not be able to fill that spot very well. I'll have to see in testing.

One question though: how does one create a win condition? I've heard it thrown around a bit, and it seems like the main thing that holds me and my teams back. Like you said, they are more or less thrown at the opponent, and then hoped to secure a win through constant beatdown. I'll search the site, and see if there's some reading I can do on it. Even so, I'd love to hear from you, you seem to understand exactly what I was trying to get across.

P.S. -I know that 1800 isn't that great of a ladder ranking. It's just what I've been consistently hitting, and it looks kinda impressive to the uninitiated. Hoping that your suggestions (and everyone else's!) help propell that past 1900 to get into the most fun part of OU.

Last edited:
So I really like your team as I do see some unusual sets but I mean if you are going to use MegaKan, you better use it right. I say switch drain punch with PoP, that is mandatory. An opotional switch is from fire punch to EQ, which also handles most steel types. Since I dont think you should change any pokemon, I think your gliscor should go back to its roots as a toxic staller and just pick one offensive move.(or do what TCR said and switch it for Lando-t). but with gliscor using toxic that frees up a slot for your porygon which should be tbolt or tri attack. mainly because your genesect will probably be dead before it getrs to deal with any bulky water types, and tbolt would really help. I am personally partial to tri-attack because it is my favorite move in game and gets some nice stab damage.

These are all just minor changes that might provide your team with more synergy, but I would recommend either making all of my suggested changes or none of them because they all kind of build off each other. EXCEPT PoP put that on Kanga ASAP.
As I said in my reply to TCR, Kanga will be getting an update real soon. As for Earthquake over Fire Punch, it runs into two main problems: Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Skarmory is obviously immune to Earthquake, and would be difficult to get through without FP. Skarmory also frequently carry Rocky Helmet and Whirlwind, and Kanga appreciates as much health as possible, especially if it will be losing Drain Punch. Ferrothron is the other issue. Fire Punch is able to OHKO it if it's had prior damage or if it isn't a physically defensive set, or if Kanga has at least 1 Atk. boost. Earthquake doesn't activate Iron Barbs or Rocky Helmet, but it does only 75.2 - 88.9% to standard Ferrothorn at +2. Fire Punch is able to OHKO standard Thorn in 1 hit with boosts, meaning it doesn't have to take a nasty Gyro Ball, especially if Scolipede was unable to pass defense boosts, and only passed speed.

As for Gliscor and Porygon2, I'm gonna try out what TCR said, and I'll look into your suggestion if that doesn't work out.

Here's the first replay against a seemingly competent team and player:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-67203061

First glance, I know this team is stall. Taking what I know about their win condition (stop all momentum), I realize that I need to keep the momentum moving in my favor. The main damper on my win condition on their team? Seems to be Skarmory. Using U-Turn and Volt Switch allows me to keep the momentum in my favor, and to scout the sets they are running. Once I know that Blissey is running a physically defensive set with Toxic, I know that it's a prime candidate for Scolipede to set up on. Once I'm set up, I decide to take a risk, and Baton Pass to Kanga. He either wasn't running Whirlwind, or didn't realize to use it, which secured me the win. Tangrowth's sleep could have been an issue, but I expected it, and since Skarm was gone there was no reason to switch out Kanga. My only question: How to deal with Heatran during a sweep? Here PuP seemed like the best move, and it was. However, I can't help but notice that 40 Base Power. Would Sucker Punch be the better choice if I know it's running an offensive set?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, it's 40 BP, yes. But after the first hit, the baby gets 1.5x attack, making it better than Drain Punch, since it escalates even further.

Well, it's 40 BP, yes. But after the first hit, the baby gets 1.5x attack, making it better than Drain Punch, since it escalates even further.
Well, the power of that 2nd hit is halved. So, assuming the attack boost applies, it's 40 BP* 1.5 (Atk. Boost)*.5 (2nd hit)= 30. Add that to the first hit, and it's doing 70 base first turn, which, in comparison to the 75 of Drain Punch, looks pretty equal. But it also gets the 2x on the first hit next turn, so it's all null and void if it's getting more than one attack in.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Exactly; MKanga's bulk should let you get more than 1 hit off.

Also, perhaps Body Slam over Return? Combined, 2 Body Slams have a 51% chance to paralyze the foe, at the cost of 17 BP.

Exactly; MKanga's bulk should let you get more than 1 hit off.

Also, perhaps Body Slam over Return? Combined, 2 Body Slams have a 51% chance to paralyze the foe, at the cost of 17 BP.
Nah, it doesn't need to spread status; it's being used as a sweeper. Togekiss and Rotom-W will be spreading status throughout the opposing team, so sacrificing that power isn't worth it, especially when the foe is likely paralyzed or burned anyways.

Can you update the OP with your changes?
I will once I get more testing done, and also when I have the time to do new write-ups. Until then, let it be known that I'm currently testing all of the changes that TCR suggested, and that so far they are working well.

Okay, another replay I felt was worth sharing:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-67263717

The game was well-played on both sides, I believe. However, this shows a problem in the team: effectively dealing with Jellicent. I made my own share of dumb mistakes this go-round, but the fact that when it came down to it, a +3 Fire Punch didn't come close to killing Jellicent. Is there a way to alter the team to respond to this, or does it seem that good playing to get rid of Jellicent before Kanga comes out is all that's required?

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is the point of the Ev spread of togekiss and Kangashkan?
Kangashkan should always run max (or near max) speed and Togekiss should run something like 248 HP / 208 SpA / 52 Spe Modest to have more power than your current set and still outspeeding defensive rotom and having maximum bulk
His Kang is supposed to recieve Speed Boosts but it still can function without them

This might be a stupid question but why didnt you just sucker punch the jellicent? It definitely wouldlve killed.
Because it seemed like it was a defensive set, and I didn't want to risk it getting a free WoW off.

What is the point of the Ev spread of togekiss and Kangashkan?
Kangashkan should always run max (or near max) speed and Togekiss should run something like 248 HP / 208 SpA / 52 Spe Modest to have more power than your current set and still outspeeding defensive rotom and having maximum bulk
As cosmicdonutsummer said, Kanga will likely be getting speed boosts from Scolipede. The HP EVs allow it to be quite a bit bulkier, and take advantage of the defense boosts from Scolipede better. They also allow it to sweep without boosts, since it can take more hits to set up with PuP. As for Togekiss, it has no business outspending defensive Rotom-W; it can't paralyze it, and Aura Sphere only does a pittance to it. It might be worth some extra speed investment to outspeed neutral base 90s, but I can't think of any that it would make a difference on. The Sp. Def EVs allow it to play as a pivot/cleric, rather than a sweeper.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you are worried about ghosts who arent gourgeist, you can run crunch>Sucker but this leaves you open to revenged by slower priority.

I tested this team for quite a few matches and most of the time i couldn't get the speed boost from scolipede and speed investment would have been nice (mostly to outspeed gliscor who invests in speed and stuff like mega garchomp, max speed megascizor and talonflame).
For togekiss meant that timid is unnecessary (your spread hits 215 speed while mine hits 209 there is no point investing more) so you could move my spattk ev into special defense and get a +sdef nature and have overall better stats than your current spread
Hmm, that sounds like a good suggestion. I may move it into defense to help it a little on the physical side, who knows). But I'll definitely try it!

EDIT: I don't know if you misread, or somethng got lost in translation, but Scolipede is running 252 Speed with a Timid nature (less damage from swagkey and other Foul Play abusers). So, it should be outspeeding a lot of those things, and the other 1/2 of the things have priority, so it's a moot point. If you were having trouble with Scolipede, you were either using it too early, or using it against the wrong things. It can set up all over physical attackers without priority (and ones with, if you can get up a sub, and they aren't packing boosting moves as well), but it shouldn't eer be used against a special attacker unless it resists whatever you KNOW the opponent has (Ex, you van set up against a Gengar Choice-Locked into Focus Blast, but not one hitting with Psyschock).

Last edited:
Okay, another replay I felt was worth sharing:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-67263717

The game was well-played on both sides, I believe. However, this shows a problem in the team: effectively dealing with Jellicent. I made my own share of dumb mistakes this go-round, but the fact that when it came down to it, a +3 Fire Punch didn't come close to killing Jellicent. Is there a way to alter the team to respond to this, or does it seem that good playing to get rid of Jellicent before Kanga comes out is all that's required?
You could always try out Earthquake ofcourse. It also deals with Aegislash excellent. Now you have to PuP on the predicted King Shield and Fire Punch the next turn but this could go wrong if he either double King Shields, predicts you having Fire Punch/Eq and thus predicts you to not want to let him know, on his King Shield you predicted and predicts you going for PuP so he can kill you with sacred sword (im sorry if that was unreadable, English isnt my first language and I couldnt make it much more clear) ooooor he switches out after one King Shield and you have to predict correctly again.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yep, after more testing, Kang needs at least 128 EVs in speed.
Also, maybe use Body Slam as Togekiss was removed Dakar

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)