Gen 3 Kanto only Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green team rating casual competitive

Hello all.

New here but want to kindly ask my Rate My Team playing Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Currently in a Pokemon club and agreed to do some casual competitive play around Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Have agreed on the following rules for a competition coming up:

- Only Kanto gen 3 Pokemon from Fire Red or Leaf Green allowed
- No lengendaries
- Ideally have to use a starter from either Blubasaur, Squirtle, Charmander or Pikachu but flexible if not

Therefore I wanted a team that was balanced to counter most weaknesses whilst being an all-rounder.

So I have used this team for about 6 months or so and here it is:

The Team

Aerodactyl

Item: Choice Band or Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
Nature: Jolly (Speed up and special attack down)
Moveset:
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace

Good speed to out pace most Pokemon, has strong attack stat meaning for normal attack gets bonus, double-edge with rock head means no recoil damage to cause serious blows to even tanky Pokemon. Did try to use Hidden Power but did not really work so left it to aerial ace since it cannot miss and it gets fly damage bonus as its secondary. Though it is weak against electric, ice, rock, steel and water. Its benefits as an attacker outweights it. Also except of Dodrio it is the best fly Pokemon in the game.

Starmie

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest (Special attack up and attack down - could not find a Timid Natural Cure Staryu to evolve into Starmie despite spending several hours and so many tries so this will do)
Moveset
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Always liked a special sweeper attacker Starmie and its special attack despite not the strongest always has helped me. Surf is the best water attack and with its water type gets damage bonus rather have accuracy over power, likewise pyschic to deal with ghosts gets damage bonus. Ice beam to deal against dragons and thunderbolt for coverage say against water Pokemon. Also as has natural cure if has a status problem can switch it out to cure it out and then switch it back or replace a faint Pokemon. More into attacking rather than defence and Starmie attacker is better.

Snorlax

EVs: 124 HP / 68 Atk / 124 Def / 36 SpA / 156 SpD
Nature: Adament or Bold (Have two depending on what I feel like)
Moveset:
- Body Slam
- Brick Break
- Shadow Ball / Flamethrower
- Rest

Need a tanky bulky Pokemon and Snorlax does the job thanks to its attack and special defense stat with good defense. Body slam use it for physical normal bonus and has a 30% chance of paralysis. Brick Break for fighting types and going up against other normal types. Shadow ball to deal with ghost and psychic. But do flamethrower since to deal with others like glass and bug but unsure which to pick fully so any advice would be useful. Rest to deal with status and also to get back HP in a pinch. Overall it is attacking type with defense to build but this seems alright in my eyes.

Nidoking

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty but do have a lonely and naive ones (Can suggest other natures to be the best)
Moveset:
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Stats all round, Nidoking is one of the best all round and best poison types around. I like my Nidoking to be a Swiss army knife to counter most threats whislt being there to handle things. Sludge bomb as the best poision attack and has a chance for poisioning a target. Would have done toxic like to have some damage and bonus damage on top, earthquake to make the most of its secondary ground type. Megahorn to deal with pesky psychic. Have left it as ice beam or thunderbolt as the last since can vary it up however if there is a choice preferred then feel free to share.

Alakazam

Item: leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Fire punch but also have thunder punch and ice punch as back ups (Though difficult to set a good move)

Does well with a basic Calm Mind; it has low defenses, but is fast enough to OHKO many Pokemon. Psychic grants it obvious powerful STAB and use shadow ball to deal with ghosts and other psychics. The last is difficult but do set it as fire punch to deal with grass and bugs but have thunder punch and ice punch as backups. I wonder if replacing shadow ball is set with a punch move or not so feel free to advise

The last Pokemon has been difficult to set so I have done choices depending on the team I am fighting and what I am thinking to go up against so here are the rest and feel free to say which is best or even say what is good as a replacement.

Venasaur

Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 80 SpA / 56 SpD / 56 Spe
Nature: Calm
Moveset
- Razor Leaf
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Sleep Powder

Above-average bulk and a good support movepool. I use this as mostly as a way to run down bulky Pokemon such as Snorlax by using a mixture of toxic, leech seed and sleep powder to cause problems. Then use razor leaf for damage. It is not the greatest but does cripple a wide range of threats and prove to be a nuisance for the opponent. Uses this Pokemon if forced to use Pokemon RBY or Fire Red or Leaf Green starter in the squad.

Or:

Dragonite

Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 178 Atk / 252 SpA / 56 SpD / 24 Spe
Nature: Brave
Moveset:
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam / Dragon Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Flamthrower / Earthquake

Like to use it as a mixed attacker set with lots of options to deal with anything. Dragon Claw for making it damage effective. Unsure to use ice beam or dragon dance but maybe leaning to dragon dance since it ups its stats. Thunderbolt to deal with flying and others and flamthrower or earthquake to deal with other things. Have not got a full moveset in stone so any advice would be useful as still experimenting it though Dragonite is working out well.

ROUND UP OF THOUGHTS:

Overall this team I feel has a lot to go up against most counters. There is no fire Pokemon since they are not great in this game and cannot see what others. The movesets most are set in stone however any advice for any changes then would be helpful as I can think over. As well if there are any Pokemon that I should switch out and replace then this can be done.

So far this team has been good in casual competitive but want to make it better so that it can be as competitive as possible therefore any advice and guidance would be helpful.

Look forward to people posting and seeing how can improve.

Last edited:
Sorry for replying so late. I hope you're still watching this thread.

Snorlax: Shadow ball is better than flamethrower. Especially when opponents aren't allowed to use Skarmory or Forretress, Snorlax's weak special attack means flamethrower will often be weaker than body slam, even when it's super effective. Shadow ball is physical and useful against Gengar. Also replace brick break with curse so Snorlax does more damage to everything, not just normals.

Nidoking: I think you should drop Nidoking so you don't have 2 poisons stacking psychic weaknesses. This ground Pokemon is a good replacement.
Dugtrio @ choice band
Ability: arena trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- earthquake
- return
- rock slide
- aerial ace
This moveset is very simple. Every time a teammate faints, and Dugtrio can trap and outspeed the opponent, use Dugtrio and use its strongest attack. You might want to watch out for bulky Pokemon like Snorlax, because they can often defeat Dugtrio while trapped.

Alakazam: Starmie already does a lot of the same things as Alakazam, so having both on the same team stacks weaknesses. Your team also doesn't have a reliable Snorlax check, so I recommend replacing Alakazam with this.
Machamp @ choice band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant nature
- cross chop
- rock slide
- facade
- sleep talk
Rock slide covers flying and bug. Facade and sleep talk hit very hard when you can predict a toxic, sleep powder, or will-O-wisp and get the guts boost. When the opponent reveals a Snorlax, switch in Machamp in case Snorlax starts cursing. After that reveal, try not to switch Machamp in when you expect a body slam.

Venusaur: I think this team will like Venusaur more than Dragonite because you already have a flying Pokemon. Replace razor leaf and toxic with giga drain to heal and sludge bomb because Venusaur should try to put most opponents to sleep. Give it 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe naive to use sleep powder before the opponent can move.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)