Kicks and Magic (Hitmonlee-Delphox core)

I have been playing Pokemon Showdown for quite a while now. I am mostly a UU player but I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and explore other tiers. I started playing RarelyUsed. Being a fan of Delphox in Pokemon XY, I started building a team around it and another favorite in Hitmonlee. At first, I lost a lot because I was pretty unfamiliar with the state of the metagame but with some team edtiting and polishing, I am now having some decent success. Here's the team:

655.gif 106.gif
When I first played RU, I wanted to use two of my favorite Pokemon in the tier, Delphox and Hitmonlee. I mostly used it for the basic special/physical offensive core.

655.gif 106.gif 042.gif 680.gif 488.gif Glelie Mega.png
I added Golbat, Doublade and Cresselia to give my team some good bulk. Mega Glalie was also there for extra offensive pressure.

655.gif 106.gif Glelie Mega.png Jellicent F.png 617.gif 621.gif
When Cresselia and Doublade moved up to UU, I replaced them with Jellicent to help me spread burns as well as checking physical attackers. I also decided that I wanted to have spikes on my team so I added Accelgor but that meant removing Defog Golbat so I replaced it with Druddigon as a special tank and a Stealth Rock setter. Finally when Smeargle moved down to NU, I replaced Accelgor with Smeargle for two goodies: Spore and Sticky Web while also retaining Spikes. So here's the final team:

Glelie Mega.png 621.gif Jellicent F.png 655.gif 235.gif 106.gif

362.gif
Glelie Mega.png
Mean Face (Glalie) @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
One of my team's fearsome wallbreakers, Mega Glalie breaks down defensive cores not named Mega Steelix. Double Edge is the main wallbreaking move while Freeze Dry is for Water-Type Pokemon as well as some physically defensive mons. Earthquake to hit Houndoom as well as Delphox when under Sticky Web. Ice Shard is good priority to pick off threats such as Scarf Flygon.

621.gif

Drogon (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch
My Druddigon has two main roles: set-up Stealth Rocks and absorb Special Attacks. My Druddigon really helps me deal with threats like Jolteon, Tangrowth, Eelektross, and Rotom-Mow. It also has Glare to spread paralysis to cripple fast offensive mons. Fire Punch rounds up the coverage to hit Durant and Escavalier, but I rarely use it so this moveslot is open to change.

Jellicent F.png
Pinkie (Jellicent) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Hex
Jellicent absorbs physical attacks, spreads burns, and stalls threats out with Recover. It has Taunt to cripple slower defensive Pokemon such as Mega Steelix. I chose Hex over Scald due its power boost on statused Pokemon and to beat opposing Jellicent.

655.gif

BRIE MODE (Delphox) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
Delphox is the special sweeper of the team. With high Special Attack and Speed, it is able to sweep with Calm Mind or clean up late-game with its powerful moves. Grass Knot is the coverage here to destroy the likes of Seismetoad and Rhyperior. Psyshock beats Specially Defensive mons like Audino. Fire Blast is the strongest STAB. I've been thinking a lot on Fire Blast vs Flamethrower for the power vs accuracy thing. I still use Fire Blast because I really like its nice raw power. What do you guys think?

235.gif

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Spikes
- Taunt
Basic support Pokemon setting up Sticky Web and Spikes as well as putting a threat to sleep. If there are some better options, just feel free to share.

106.gif

AJ Lee (Hitmonlee) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
Reckless Hitmonlee wallbreaks really strong with its powerful High Jump Kick. Knock Off is there for Ghost types, Mach Punch for priority and Rapid Spin for hazard removal since I have Delphox and Glalie.

Threatlist:
Alomomola:
I really find it hard to braeak down Alomomola due to its ridiculous bulk and Regenerator. It can survive hits from Freeze Dry and Grass Knot. I don't have Toxic on my team so Will-O-Wisp is my only way of wearing it down.
Tyrantrum: I don't have the Pokemon to reliably absorb its powerful Head Smash so if it's scarf, my only way of bringing it down is through super-effective priority. Its good bulk means it can tank some neutral hits. One of the reasons I like Sticky Web.
Stall teams in general: I really hate Stall teams, especially those Regenerator cores.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi MegaFlareon, nice team there, I have some suggestion to improve it!

Durant over Druddigon. Your team has an incredible weakness to dragon types, Flygon can easily do a kill when he has a switch just clicking outrage, so having durant in your team will allow you to prevent the opponent to just click the dragon stab and make a kill. You can choose between X-Scissor and Thunder Fang. Thunder Fang will allow you to hit Alomomola and Jellicent much harder, X-Scissor is just a nice stab to spam.

Durant @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- X-Scissor / Thunder Fang

Mismagius over Jellicent. Although having a pivot can be nice it can give some dead turns that the opponent can use to boost himself or defog the hazards. Mismagius fits your team particularly well because it can prevent the use of defog thanks to taunt, and it can weaken dark types for a Delphox sweep.

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taun

Stealth Rock over Spikes on Smeargle. This change is mandatory since you don't have Druddigon anymore.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Dazzling Gleam over Grass Knot. This change will allow you to hit much harder dragons and dark types on the switchin. Also it will allow you to 2HKO bulky flygon, that otherwise can defog your hazards. Since you lost a way to hit Rhyperior and Seismitoad hard i suggest you Psychic over Psyshock, this will allow you to have more power and since Rhyp and Seismitoad are more invested on the defensive side you will hit them harder than with Psyshock.
Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychi

That's all I have, I hope this was useful and good luck with the team :)

To be honest the first thing i see in this team is a weakness to Fighting-types that especially with webs off (you have nothing pretty much to prevent Defog from a Flygon or a Togetic bar hoping Glalie is in.) can quite easily sweep you. The main offenders are Chople Berry Dragon Dance Scrafty and Hitmonlee (Sucker Punch variants even moreso) that can sweep you boosted or unboosted. Choice Scarf Medicham is another particularly big threat that can quite easily OHKO or 2HKO everything on your team while outspeeding most as long as webs are off the field.
Definitely a way to have Sticky Web more reliably is to use Mismagius over Jellicent with a set similar to the one Fran17 suggested:

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

This allows you to check any Fighting-type once at least while having an additional weapon against Defoggers in fastTaunt (Jellicent is quite passive for an HO team).

Having Defensive Druddigon on a Sticky Web team is also quite weird especially since you should run an offensive set on it at worst and you can fit Stealth Rock on Smeargle just fine over Spikes without having to carry a dedicated Stealth Rock user and thus freeing up a slot. Choice Scarf Tyrantrum is easily the best Pokemon on this slot that also keeps the synergy you have built (you kinda lose out on a Water resist tho).

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake / Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)