ORAS Ubers Killer Chicken, the Whale and the Lizard on Fire-an Ubers RMT

What sort of niche do you think Blaziken holds in the current ubers metagame?

• Total voters
Hey everyone! I've been putting a team together for a couple of weeks or so, mainly for the ubers summer seasonal. It's still a work in progress, but I've gotten to the point where I'm happy to post it here, since I've taken away all of the really obvious, blatant flaws. So, here it is!

Killer Chicken (Blaziken) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Evs: 252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Bulk Up
- Work Up

Well, here's the big guy. You might think that P-don or p_ogre would be a good star for a team, but the Killer Chicken tops them both. Essentially, it's role is to drop either Bulk up, for Groudon, or Work Up, for Kyogre, protect turn 2 and then baton pass the stats to them. EVs are to optimize liklihood of baton passing multiple times throughout the battle and the HP is to survive even after losing the sash. Blaziken here is taunt-weak, but then not too many leads, apart from deoxys-speed, use this, so I can often predict around it.

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earthquake/Sleep Talk
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Kyogre is the first of two baton pass options for Blaziken. Essentially, with the SpAtk and Speed boosts, it can proceed to atempt an early-game sweep. Mnay people do rely on kyogre and groudon being reasonably slow, so a quick kyogre with buffed special attack can often take a team unawares. With kyogre, it stays in play until it falls or until it wins, or unles something is blatantly trying to set up in it's face. The only special move here is sleep talk, which is to go around the rare focus sash darkrai.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Groudon is the second of two baton pass options. The same deal goes on here that went on with kyogre. Essentially, with a speed, attack and defense boost, groudon becomes even more of a threat than kyogre-the only reason why I run them both is that groudon is much more prepared for. Rock polish is learned here because groudon, unlike kyogre, is allowed to switch out in the battle, and rock polish allwos it to come back in and resume it's role as a sweeper.

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dark Aura
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Lax Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

At this stage, I began to start thinking about some of the top-tier threats in ubers, and how to counter them. Assault Vest Yveltal is an old favourite of mine, and one of the most certain Extreme-Killer arceus checks/counters. If one somehow manages to fly through my defenses, Yveltal can come in to revenge kill arceus, OHKO'ing with Foul Play. Yveltal can also take on various swords dance mons, like groudon.

Genesect @ Assault Vest
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Extremespeed
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

After Extremekiller, GeoXern is one of the boiggest threats in the meta. The above mon is, outside of hax, nearly guaranteed to beat it, only falling to the rare HP Fire. Although slower, it can revenge kill geoxern with iron head and extremespeed, living moonblast and focus blast with its EVs and its assault vest. Outside of revenge killing geoxern, it can deal with salamence-mega as well as various steel types, such as ferrothorn and klefki.

Flying-Arceus (Arceus-Water) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Defog
- Recover

Finally, here comes one of my proudest achievements. This mon is the sole reason why most of my other mons had no nicknames, so as not to rouse suspicion. 7 out of 10 times, someone will fall for the nickname and even drop an ice beam on it, before raging about my "hax" and then checking what the real name was. Apart from the name, this is a pretty standard arc-water build, meant to defog and put a stop to lugia.

Last edited:
Hey, TheHungrySage, nice team! I've seen a lot of BP teams that focus on getting the pass off to a central teammate, so you're multi option team is nice and refreshing to look at.

So I have a couple suggestions:

1. This is entirely optional, seeing as Bulk Up does have its use, but you could try running Substitute. Getting the Primals in behind a sub would make them all the more threatening. Also, it might help to keep them safe from annoying Toxic stalling from Lugia, Arceus-W and frens, along with being immune to Dark Void if needed. If you do this, I recommend a pinch berry like Liechi or Petaya since you can sub down to it if you wish.

2. EQ/Precicpice Blades over Dragon Claw. I can see you wanting to hit Latis, but +1 Stone Edge does heavy damage to it, you have and provides similar coverage against MMence and Ho-oh. EQ can hit more of the metagame like it always can, as Ground is an overall good offensive type and will give you a more powerful neutral hit in most cases.

3. Minor change, 4atk on Blaziken should be in something else, it doesn't attack, and 0 IVs for min Foul Play damage.

4. While I like the AV idea on Yveltal, I think it should be
Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

This set gives it the same ability to check the phyiscal threats in question, while also giving it recovery and Taunt/Roost to beat out stall mons like Blissey and Lugia. Yveltal with Roost still 1v1s the Latis and even 2HKOs with sucker punch. The Heat Wave is forgo-able due to the coverage you already have on PDon and Genesect.

Lastly, not corrections but love the Genesect set, it seems like it can bluff Scarf in some situations. That's a neat way to check GeoXern.
And the Arceus nickname, hahahaha. A strategy crafted by true jesi :']

Hope I helped and good luck with the team!

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately there are still several huge weaknesses with this team:

• There are several common Pokemon capable of outright 6-0ing you. You have no way to defeat Refresh Mega Salamence, which sets up for free on Arceus-Water (once they know you lack Ice Beam) and Blaziken and can run train through your team. Rayquaza can do the same thing easily as well. Physically defensive Arceus-Water with Toxic poisons your Water-types and fearlessly tanks everything else until you keel over and die. Stone Edge Extremekiller Arceus also 6-0es with Stealth Rock up and some prior damage on Arceus-Water. You also have no switch-ins for Dark-types such as Life Orb Yveltal and Calm Mind Refresh Arceus-Dark. These aren't niche threats - you can expect to find one or more of these on many teams.
  • Your Groudon lacks Precipice Blades which means it cannot adequately deal with Primal Kyogre, another deadly threat if it has Calm Mind.
  • Your Blaziken set will never successfully pass against any team with phazing moves. Lugia, Giratina-O, and Primal Groudon are all common phazers that can switch into Blaziken easily, even if you were running a normal set. Most of these phazers can beat your receivers as well, making things worse.
  • Your Genesect set is, to be blunt, a waste of its potential. It's useless against anything that isn't Xerneas and is outclassed in that role by most other Steel-types. Running Assault Vest on physically defensive Yveltal is also crippling its ability to adequately tank things throughout a match by locking you out of Roost.
  • Your team lacks Stealth Rock, which makes dealing with huge threats such as Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, Mega Salamence, and LO Yveltal much more difficult than it already is.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a good way to fix your problems without making your team too similar to other Blaziken teams I've seen, replacing 3+ sets/members, or keeping the original concept of the team intact. One possible way to go about it:

SR Primal Groudon > Your current set (consider SR + SD to help break some Blaziken checks)
Standard Klefki > Genesect
Defog Latias > Kyogre (use Healing Wish over Roost to help Groudon cut through stall)
Ice Beam > Defog on Arceus-Water
Standard Physically Defensive Yveltal > Your current set (you can keep Heat Wave to help vs Keys and/or use Toxic to help beat Wisp Ghostceus, Charti Berry can also help vs Stone Edge Extremekiller)
Standard Mega Blaziken (FB/HJK/HP Ice/Protect) > Your current set

...though at this point it's basically a different team than what you originally intended. If your goal was merely to use Blaziken this should work out fine, though if you wanted to keep the Baton Pass strategy I'd recommend starting over or looking into a somewhat more effective Baton Pass user such as SmashPass Smeargle. Good luck!

Hi TheHungrySage. I think Fireburn gave already a very good rate so I would just like to give you building tips about those kind of passing teams:

1) When a player uses Blaziken Pass there is a weakness to phazing like Giratina-O who usually comes in on Blaziken to Dragon Tail it out so having a fairy type like Diancie or Xerneas to pass to is something essential to have.
2) If you want to have a chance versus Stall you need to have Mega Diancie as a recipient or Lugia will come in and Whirlwind everytime.
3) A defensive backbone is essential since Blaziken is set up bait for a lot of Pokemon. Like Fireburn said Kelfki>Genesect and your Arceus Water will do it pretty decently vs physical threats.
4) The team revolves around Blaziken Passing so you need recipients that handle what comes in on Blaziken and obliges your opponent to predict and take risks to win. Like lets say adding Rayquaza to Mega Diancie and Groudon, who handles Ground and Water pretty well and who puts the opponent into a dilemma because Mega Diancie / Primal Groudon / Rayquaza as recipients make it very difficult for the opponent to chose what to hit on Blaziken unlike on your team where phazing or Toxic are easy options.

Just giving you some conceptual tips btw. Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)