SM OU Kings - Copycat Lopunny Balance

K I N G S
Copycat Lopunny + Z-fightium Magearna

¤ »¤«¤ »¤«¤»¤«¤ »¤«¤»¤«¤»¤«¤»¤«¤»¤«¤»¤«¤ »¤«¤»¤«¤ »¤«¤ ¤

:lopunny-mega: :magearna: :heatran: :Tornadus-Therian: :Landorus-Therian: :Ferrothorn:
here's a fun little team built around lopunny and magearna. I've had decent success with it, but only lowish ladder [1400s to 1500s.]
Any suggestions Welcome :]

¤ »¤«¤ »¤«¤»¤«¤ »¤«¤»«¤»¤«¤»¤«¤»¤«¤»¤«¤ »¤«¤»¤«¤ »¤«¤ ¤

Team Breakdown

:sm/lopunny-mega:
Reconciliation (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Copycat
- Fake Out
- Frustration

- High Jump Kick

This is quite a fun Lopunny moveset. It uses a basic 252/4/252 spread for hitting hard and fast. Lopunny is an amazing mon, having perfect coverage,
and being able to do around 85% to things like Lele (70/75/115 bulk) is amazing. Lopunny serves as a late-game cleaner, and a pseudo-check to sweepers with fake-out.
Copycat is a surprisingly good tech, Your opponent put up webs? return the favour. Copycat can also provide some clutch plays, or just allows you to style on your opponents [like ice beaming a Lando, [does only 50% but still a flex]]

:sm/magearna:
Renaissance (Magearna) @ Fightinium Z / Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Shift Gear

- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

A relatively standard shift gear set. 252/4/252 to hit as hard as possible. Magearna serves as a sweeper, having creat coverage with the combo of FB, and bolt-beam.
Fightinium gives Magearna an easy way to blow past Heatran and T-tar, without resorting to focus miss. Electrium allows it to blow past pex at +1 or do heavy damage at +0.
Make sure things that wall Mag are removed before attempting a sweep, as you likely won't get another chance. [things like M-venu]
another note, make sure spikes/rocks are up when you attempt to sweep, as it stops potential sashes/sturdys, and allows things to be killed more easily, as things like Spdef heatran and ferrothorn only take around 80% from fightinium z.
252 SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Ferrothorn: 274-324 (77.8 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Heatran: 306-360 (79.2 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:sm/heatran:
Recognition (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 240 HP / 180 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

- Earth Power

Heatran is this teams rocker, and special tank. The 88 speed EVs creep other defensive Heatrans. The 240 / 180 defensives allow it to take on special attackers like Volcarona or Magearna better. The combination of magma storm and toxic allow it to trap and remove Chansey, [and also set up stealth rocks, which is amazing against stall teams.] Heatran also provides valuable fire and ground type coverage, which pressures monas like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and opposing Heatran.

:sm/tornadus-therian:

Re-emergence (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 88 HP / 164 Def / 32 SpA / 8 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature

- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus provides hazard removal, utility in knock-off, momentum in u-turn, and a strong stab move in hurricane. Tornadus's regenerator ability allows it to keep coming in and pivoting out with u-turn. the combination of 88 HP and 164 defence EVs ensure it survives a Mega-medicham ice punch from full, [ spread from the spread compendium ] and 32 Spa ensure it OHKOs Lopunny and Medicham with hurricane, and has around a 70% chance to OHKO Serperior.

:sm/landorus-therian:

Reform (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 Atk / 68 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Stone Edge

- U-turn

Landorus functions as this teams speed check. It provides momentum with u-turn and explosion, and has valuable ground coverage. 208 speed and a jolly nature allow it to outpace kommo-o at +1 and outpace alakazam-mega. 68 Def EVs allow it to eat Hawlucha acrobatics at +1 with stealth rock from full. the rest of the EVs are poured into Atk to hit as hard as possible [spread from smogon, I see no reason not to use it, as it does it's job]. Explosion is an interesting move, as it deals heavy damage and allows a free switch, but at the cost of Landorus. [an example of it being useful would be exploding on a Zapdos, allowing Magearna to freely set-up] If you don't want to run explosion, stone-edge is a safe choice, allowing it to hit Zapdos and Tornadus [and volc.]

:sm/ferrothorn:
Rediscovery (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off / Thunder Wave

- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is part of this team's defensive backbone, and is the designated counter to Ash-Gren. The standard smogon spread ensures that Greninja's dark-pulse cannot 3HKO from full. Ferrothorn is the teams best answer to rain, as it's amazing defences, and its typing helps immensely. Leech seed can greatly increase its longevity. Spikes is an amazing asset, that gives Lopunny a much easier time breaking. Knock off is superior for damage and general utility, but thunder wave can be run to annoy set-up sweepers like volcarona that like to take advantage of Ferrothorns passivity.

Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-995049055 vs stall. shows value of copycat. would be a 6-0
-
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-995561503 vs offence. 6-0
-
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-995837164 vs balance. would be a 5-0
[more to come]

Overview against some types of teams
Rain - This team can struggle with rain, as Swampert can kill most of my team. Ferrothorn gives rain a hard time, but shouldn't switch into Swampet's eq.
252 Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 142-168 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Stall - this team deals quite well with stall, as heatran can trap and remove notable threats like Chansey and Toxapex [if you get a SpDef drop from earth power], while generally pressuring things like Skarmory and setting up rocks on the switches it causes.. Ferrothorn deals with Chansey and Quagsire, and Lop kills Chansey and Sableye, and a potential Shedinja with copycat [if it switches in on a sableye]

Webs - If lopunny is played correctly, webs become invalidated, allowing for an easy matchup as they may require webs for speed. Although it is worth noting that can likely spin away the webs with Excadrill.

[to be expanded]

Anyways, thats my RMT. hope you enjoyed :]
All improvements and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Why did you switch Ferrothorn in on Mega Sableye then Leech Seed... twice? Regardless watching that Shedinja get destroyed by Knock Off was hilarious. Anyway you probably want Limber on M Lopunny pre-evo. You're much more likely to switch in on Twave or Discharge than you are to tank a lady's hits and have the attraction matter. Copycat is cool and your logs really show off how fun it must be. 10/10 for that alone.

Despite Heatran trapping pex and Chansey in the real world neither of those Pokemon switch in and you instead get walled by Sp Def M Sableye so your team is quite stall weak. To fix this you could change Magearna to CM + Pain Split which 6-0s basically all stall. It's probably the smallest change you could make to fix the stall weakness without massively changing your team. Despite being an anti-stall mon it functions well against balance and should still manage to trade 1-1 with something on offense.

Running two Defoggers is fine but how awkward is it when you're also running Spikes? If you feel like Torn or Lando need another moveslot you can probably drop one of the Defogs for something else without hindering your team too much.

Why did you switch Ferrothorn in on Mega Sableye then Leech Seed... twice? Regardless watching that Shedinja get destroyed by Knock Off was hilarious. Anyway you probably want Limber on M Lopunny pre-evo. You're much more likely to switch in on Twave or Discharge than you are to tank a lady's hits and have the attraction matter. Copycat is cool and your logs really show off how fun it must be. 10/10 for that alone.
I think i was thinking they might switch out their sableye because all it would be doing staying in would be wasting pp and taking iron barbs damage. You're right about the limber though, I was just lazy , _ , . As for the copycat tech though, I saw it on an OLT thread by mob barley, and thought it was a great tech, so I built a team with it. [can't find link]

Despite Heatran trapping pex and Chansey in the real world neither of those Pokemon switch in and you instead get walled by Sp Def M Sableye so your team is quite stall weak. To fix this you could change Magearna to CM + Pain Split which 6-0s basically all stall. It's probably the smallest change you could make to fix the stall weakness without massively changing your team. Despite being an anti-stall mon it functions well against balance and should still manage to trade 1-1 with something on offense.
Regarding people switching in on heatran, suprisingly, quite a lot of people do. It might be bacause people don't expect a spDef heatran to be running MS, or maybe people just automaticially switch in chansey to and speciall attacker. Heatran can also tear through eye if it comes in on a wisp, but lopunny checks eye so much better, and most mons on stall hate switching in on lop[aside from skarm, but u have a heatran for that.] As for you're suggestion of CM-PS magearana, I feel that a shift gear set has a better matchup against the metagame, If i run into trouble with stall though, I'll give your set a shot.

anyways, thanks for the rate :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)