CAP 7 Kitsunoh Playtesting

Shadow Strike along with entry hazards have really been an effective strategy all over the server, especially with the defense drop. Most Pokemon can't afford to stay in, Kitsunoh is doing it's job well enough. Personally, lead Kitsunoh with Frisk has given me great success. Frisk, as well as high speed are pretty good. I'll be posting a more specific set once I'm done experimenting with different combinations.

So scarf Kitsunoh is pretty cool. I've been running:

Kitsunoh @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk
252 Atk / 252 Spd Adamant

Shadow Strike
Superpower
Thunderpunch
Icepunch

It misses out on its most powerful move, Meteor Mash, but with both the ghost/fighting and ice/electric type combos, he doesn't really need it. Superpower hits TTar harder anyway. He can revenge kill DDtar, mence, and dos, and can surprise Azelf and Starmie for some quick kills. I guess it's similar to Scarfgar, only its weaker, physical, has a more reliable fighting move, better defensive typing, one of two better abilities, and some surprise factor.

Since it's a revenge killer you normally know what item the foe has when you switch in, so Frisk is not as useful. On a scarf set you can't afford to be paralysed so I'd say Limber be a better choice.

It's depressing how decent a revenge killer this is. Scouting out the window :-(

Both abilities are useful. Yes, it's a revenge killer, but that doesn't mean that's the only situation it ever finds itself in. After a double faint, or switching in on a pokemon that it walls (plenty with it's good typing), it can both scout and revenge kill with Frisk. T-wave is not that hard to avoid if you have ground types / status absorbers.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Since it's a revenge killer you normally know what item the foe has when you switch in, so Frisk is not as useful. On a scarf set you can't afford to be paralysed so I'd say Limber be a better choice.

It's depressing how decent a revenge killer this is. Scouting out the window :-(
I didn't playtest Kitsunoh yet. Using it like a Revenge Killer is a totally different way [maybe wrong, maybe better], because is not following the concept that was preconceived.

Kitsunoh @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Trick
- Yawn
- U-turn
- ShadowStrike

I've been using this set. With scarf this guy is faster than just about any other lead on the CAP server. Frisk tells me whether I should Trick or U-Turn. Trick generally causes a switch. I follow that up with Yawn, which either leads to another switch or a free turn while they are asleep. Shadow Strike does a good job of taking out weaker threats and can even pick off a Heatran should he be caught without his scarf.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've been playtesting for much of the day and last night. LO Kitsunoh is pretty hot. Limber makes it just about the best switch-in to Celebi and Blissey, considering that Adamant Superpower OHKOs Blissey and Celebi is easily 2HKOd by Shadow Strike or U-Turn. I've found that the Defense drops from Shadow Strike are ridiculously useful for pounding things really hard that may have switched in to try to wall you.

I think that Kitsunoh *is* a good scout. With the nice coverage, decent power and the ability to drop your opponent's Defense, LO Kitsunoh can successfully force many switches.

I have been having surprisng success with Flame Orb/Psyco Shift/Trick. Can either repeatedly throw out burn at a high percentage than Will-O-Wisp or should they bring out the a Wall/Natural Cure/Rest user, just trick the orb on them and dump your burn an the next opportunity. Can cause quiet a heachach on the unsuspecting.

I have been having surprisng success with Flame Orb/Psyco Shift/Trick. Can either repeatedly throw out burn at a high percentage than Will-O-Wisp or should they bring out the a Wall/Natural Cure/Rest user, just trick the orb on them and dump your burn an the next opportunity. Can cause quiet a heachach on the unsuspecting.
The set is extremely effective, but I've fallen for the CB set. I've been running:

Kitsunoh (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd
- ShadowStrike
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

I occasionally use Superpower over Ice Punch, but Ice Punch is much more effective overall. It does insane damage on most things with ShadowStrike, and U-Turning really allows it to scout extremely effectively.

The set is extremely effective, but I've fallen for the CB set. I've been running:

Kitsunoh (M) @ Choice Band
- ShadowStrike
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

I occasionally use Superpower over Ice Punch, but Ice Punch is much more effective overall. It does insane damage on most things with ShadowStrike, and U-Turning really allows it to scout extremely effectively.
I might suggest using superpower over earthquake since it will help with TTar, Magnezone after a magnet rise(or switch ins), and could help with Tran too since I'm not really seeing any scarf Trans since Kitsunoh has better counters like bulky waters.

I might suggest using superpower over earthquake since it will help with TTar, Magnezone after a magnet rise(or switch ins), and could help with Tran too since I'm not really seeing any scarf Trans since Kitsunoh has better counters like bulky waters.
Earthquake also hits all three of those hard. The only thing you're losing coverage on is Skarmory because Bronzong is also hit hard by CB Shadow Strike.

Posting mostly to say something along the lines of, "my bad". I've been using Kitsunoh on one of my teams, and after much deliberation I have decided that it is much better than I initially thought (though obviously not super overpowering). I've been using this quite extensively:

Kitsunoh (M) @ Choice Scarf
- Trick
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- ShadowStrike

When I first put this on my team, I was expecting it to only last a few turns a battle, doing only what it needed. I was wrong. It proved itself to me doing good all around; forcing switches, revenge killing, the occasional lategame sweeping, and of course, scouting.

It was unexpectedly bulky as well. Its typing (which we can all agree is amazing), allows in an almost unrivaled opportunity to switch in, letting it to do its job over and over and over again.

I was also anticipating it to hit fairly weak (with relatively low bp moves and not even a boosting nature to save grace), but it turns out it has just the amount of power it needs to get the kills on certain threats.

EDIT- Ice Punch can be slashed with just about anything. I have it there because killing unsuspecting +1 Dragons is a sweet deal.
EDIT2- This set best functions as a lead so you can see your opponents item to make sure they don't have a Choice item of their own (or a Flame Orb or something). If you can Trick them safely, go for it (or save it for later against something like a BP Gliscor, who you outrun after Agility). If not, act appropriately (this usually means U-Turning out, but if you want to keep up the facade of not being Scarfed that's cool too).

And with this:
1. ELEVATOR MUSIC (1,602.18)
I'm off to bed. Don't expect me to ladder for a while ^__^

This is a Choice Band set I made.

Item: Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd
-ShadowStrike
-Superpower
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake

Any comments?
This is almost identical to what I'm running. Jolly instead of Adamant for speed tieing other kits. Win the toss and they get 2HKO.

Edit: Also, use Limber to switch in on statusers.

Ive been using this set to some success:

Kitsunoh@Leftovers
Frisk/Jolly
252 hp/4 atk/252 spe
-Knock Off
-ShadowStrike
-U-Turn
-Yawn

Yawn+U-turn has been great, especially since I have another U-Turner (Ambipom). ShadowStrike has been really effective, except against stuff like Togekiss, which completely walls me. But other than that, this set actually scouts well, and packs a bit of a punch

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this set to great success, although I must say the Item I've been using has seen no use.

Kitsunoh @ Shed Shell
EVs: 16 HP/252 Atk/248 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SA)
~ Fake Out
~ U-Turn
~ ShadowStrike
~ Earthquake

I use it as a lead. As of yet I have never seen Magnezone or Dugtrio on the server, but given my abysmal timing the second I replace Shed Shell for Leftovers or Expert Belt they will become legion. Outspeeds Ape, breaks Sashes with Fake Out, and the priority and one-time flinch of Fake Out has been useful for finishing off weakened opponents. Basically it comes in, discerns an opponents item, and attacks or U-Turns accordingly.

I do however, use Steel Killer Magnezone on my ladder team. It eats the Choiced Kitsunoh for lunch, easily nabbing a revenge kill. CB ShadowStrike does hurt it a bit, but even with the defense down Thunderbolt always KOs long before ShadowStrike does. Choiced Kitsunoh using anything but U-Turn, Earthquake, or Superpower while they're locked in are Magnezone bait.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
I've been using the LO set that beej gave me.. it actually works very good.

I believe the set was;

Kitsunoh @ Life Orb
Limber/Adamant
252 Atk/252 Spe
- Super Power
- U-Turn
- ShadowStrike
- Ice Punch
Its won several games with those late game sweeps.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The dedicated playtesting period for Kitsunoh ended on March 28th. The highest-ranked player on the Playtesting ladder is actually a user that is banned from the Smogon forums. Since we want to give a visible "award" to be displayed around Smogon -- I am awarding a slightly modified custom user title to the second-place finisher...

Congratulations Plus -- the recipient of the CAP 7 Playtesting Title!

Plus will keep the title until the next CAP pokemon is playtested.

I have restored the CAP ratings from prior to playtesting, and newcomers to the CAP server will start with fresh ratings. I have also unbanned all CAP pokemon on the CAP ladder. So feel free to log on and begin playing Kitsunoh with all our other CAP creations!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks guys

I really want to make a shout out to cyberzero, who really gave me a run for my money, as well as be perhaps one of the best CaP playtesters I have ever seen in all 7 CaPs.

Congrats Plus, it was pretty fun (and extremely stressful) laddering for that title. Hope you make CAP proud with that title =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)