quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
- one of the metagame's most dangerous "set-up" sweepers
- thanks to its signature Clangorous Clangblaze, it's unique in that it loses no momentum when setting up as it deals significant damage while its getting jacked
- boosted up, it's really good at forcing its will and pressuring both foes with its strong spread Clanging Scales, while it can be tricky to quickly KO it through its boosted defenses with netural hits
- by nature of its ability to punish positioning, kommo-o's a great pick on faster offensive teams with handy U-turn and Volt Switch users like Incin and Koko as it can apply immense pressure without stalling at all.
- has difficulty in dealing with Fairy-types, with Tapu Fini in particular a huge nuisance bc Misty Terrain weakens drag moves
- an alolan guardian to override Misty is necessary in order to run Kommo-o reliably
- one dimensional as hell
- only really has one shot in sweeping, and is totally reliant on its Z-move to be viable.
name: The Clanger
move 1: Clanging Scales
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Poison Jab / Close Combat
move 4: Protect
item: Kommonium Z
ability: Soundproof / Bulletproof
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Clanging Scales is le spread STAB move that functions as Kommo's most reliable attack for dealing damage
- also acts as the base of Kommo's Clangorous Clangblaze
- Flamethrower covers Steels such as Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn.
- Poison Jab is handy coverage for Fairies such as Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini.
- CC is a usable alternative for mauling specific threats in Stakataka, Incin, and Tyranitar, and can come up quite handy against opposing Kommo for playing around Soundproof.
- Protect lets you position and stall out field conditions, the usual.
- Kommonium Z is the crux of the set as it provides access to Clangorus Clangblaze, the thing that lets Kommo boost all of its stats without loss of tempo and turns it into a massive threat
- Soundproof handily blocks Snarl and Roar and makes it capable of taking on opposing Kommo-o
- Bulletproof niftily makes it untouchable to MGar and Aegi's stabs, improving that matchup considerably, and it also blocks Gyro Ball lol
- The spread maximizes offensive capabilities with Naive used in order to allow Kommo to outrun Deo-A at +1. Rash is an option for more power, though it loses out on Deo-A as well as Mega Mane.
- A SpDef-lowering nature is used cuz most of the stuff kommo sets up on are physical attackers lol
- Kommo-o is p much all about finding the right opportunity to safely CLANG in order to get going
- thus it best works with pivots that have access to uturn or volt, as kommo-o can pay dividends when it can capitalize on great positioning
- this bad boy can get going at any point in the battle
- early-game, it can be handy to boost up quickly and apply as much pressure as possible, softening up the opposing team and making it easier for your goons
- mid- or late-game, when stuff are weakened, it can be a nasty cleaner as its strong clanging scales can send stuff packing while it's hard to take out through boosted defenses
- only have one shot tho, so after a clang ur basically committed and often, when threatened, it's better to just get that last shot for chip in order to keep some momentum going as Kommo-o is only a fraction of its worth without the z-move
- be wary of fini because it can not only wall but it also brings misty with it tor render kommo ineffective; make sure you have ways of overriding misty terrain and quickly taking fini out.
- watch out if the opponent has two immunities to Clang cuz they can deny the boosts if they take that hit ;_;
- Teammates with U-turn or Volt in Lando-T, Koko, incin, and Gene because Kommo-o is dangerous with proper positioning
- Fake Out because safe opportunities to boost are lit: Incin and Mew
- Steels that it can lean onto when facing up Ice- and Fairy-types: Mega Metagross, Mega Sciz, Gene
- Things that can specifically deal with Tapu Fini: Mega Gengar, Bulu, Koko, Zap
- Trappers because they can help pick off key threats to Kommo and help in locking a position up for a safe boost
- MGar is excellent at this role as it can pick off Tapu Fini handily, while Goth can be handy for its more supportive options in Helping Hand, Heal Pulse, and Ally Switch.
- An Island Guardian for overriding Misty Terrain in Koko, Lele, and Bulu
- Dragon Pulse
Checks and Counters
**Psychic-types**: Deo-A, Mega Metagross, and Lele can send Kommo-o packing lol. Choice Scarf Lele in particular is handy at it can check Kommo-o even post-Clang.
**Fairy-types**: They are immune to to Clang and send Kommo-o to hell. Tapu Fini in particular is annoying because it also brings Misty Terrain, which weakens Clang. diansy takes anything
**Ice-types**: Kyu-B outruns pre-Clang but can get sent packing post-Clang. HP Ice coverage i guess
**Soundproof Kommo-o**: Basically can't touch them outside of CC. They can't touch you either if you're also Soundproof, however.
**Clangorous Clangblaze-immunities**: If Clangorous Clangblaze is used on two opponents that are both immune to it, whether through a Fairy-typing or Soundproof, Kommo-o doesn't get the boost. With two such immunities around, Kommo-o can be denied boosts pretty easily.
**Trick Room**: turns the tables and takes away its speed. diancie in particular is brutal against kommo-o bc lol
**Wide Guard**: can stop Clanging Scales (doesn't stop Clangblaze and its boosts)