Kommo-o (QC 0/2)

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

[OVERVIEW]
  • one of the metagame's most dangerous "set-up" sweepers
  • thanks to its signature Clangorous Clangblaze, it's unique in that it loses no momentum when setting up as it deals significant damage while its getting jacked
  • boosted up, it's really good at forcing its will and pressuring both foes with its strong spread Clanging Scales, while it can be tricky to quickly KO it through its boosted defenses with netural hits
  • by nature of its ability to punish positioning, kommo-o's a great pick on faster offensive teams with handy U-turn and Volt Switch users like Incin and Koko as it can apply immense pressure without stalling at all.
  • has difficulty in dealing with Fairy-types, with Tapu Fini in particular a huge nuisance bc Misty Terrain weakens drag moves
    • an alolan guardian to override Misty is necessary in order to run Kommo-o reliably
  • one dimensional as hell
  • only really has one shot in sweeping, and is totally reliant on its Z-move to be viable.
[SET]
name: The Clanger
move 1: Clanging Scales
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Poison Jab / Close Combat
move 4: Protect
item: Kommonium Z
ability: Soundproof / Bulletproof
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Clanging Scales is le spread STAB move that functions as Kommo's most reliable attack for dealing damage
    • also acts as the base of Kommo's Clangorous Clangblaze
  • Flamethrower covers Steels such as Mega Metagross, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn.
  • Poison Jab is handy coverage for Fairies such as Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini.
  • CC is a usable alternative for mauling specific threats in Stakataka, Incin, and Tyranitar, and can come up quite handy against opposing Kommo for playing around Soundproof.
  • Protect lets you position and stall out field conditions, the usual.
Set Details
========
  • Kommonium Z is the crux of the set as it provides access to Clangorus Clangblaze, the thing that lets Kommo boost all of its stats without loss of tempo and turns it into a massive threat
  • Soundproof handily blocks Snarl and Roar and makes it capable of taking on opposing Kommo-o
  • Bulletproof niftily makes it untouchable to MGar and Aegi's stabs, improving that matchup considerably, and it also blocks Gyro Ball lol
  • The spread maximizes offensive capabilities with Naive used in order to allow Kommo to outrun Deo-A at +1. Rash is an option for more power, though it loses out on Deo-A as well as Mega Mane.
    • A SpDef-lowering nature is used cuz most of the stuff kommo sets up on are physical attackers lol

Usage Tips
========
  • Kommo-o is p much all about finding the right opportunity to safely CLANG in order to get going
    • thus it best works with pivots that have access to uturn or volt, as kommo-o can pay dividends when it can capitalize on great positioning
  • this bad boy can get going at any point in the battle
    • early-game, it can be handy to boost up quickly and apply as much pressure as possible, softening up the opposing team and making it easier for your goons
    • mid- or late-game, when stuff are weakened, it can be a nasty cleaner as its strong clanging scales can send stuff packing while it's hard to take out through boosted defenses
  • only have one shot tho, so after a clang ur basically committed and often, when threatened, it's better to just get that last shot for chip in order to keep some momentum going as Kommo-o is only a fraction of its worth without the z-move
  • be wary of fini because it can not only wall but it also brings misty with it tor render kommo ineffective; make sure you have ways of overriding misty terrain and quickly taking fini out.
  • watch out if the opponent has two immunities to Clang cuz they can deny the boosts if they take that hit ;_;
Team Options
========
  • Teammates with U-turn or Volt in Lando-T, Koko, incin, and Gene because Kommo-o is dangerous with proper positioning
  • Fake Out because safe opportunities to boost are lit: Incin and Mew
  • Steels that it can lean onto when facing up Ice- and Fairy-types: Mega Metagross, Mega Sciz, Gene
  • Things that can specifically deal with Tapu Fini: Mega Gengar, Bulu, Koko, Zap
  • Trappers because they can help pick off key threats to Kommo and help in locking a position up for a safe boost
    • MGar is excellent at this role as it can pick off Tapu Fini handily, while Goth can be handy for its more supportive options in Helping Hand, Heal Pulse, and Ally Switch.
  • An Island Guardian for overriding Misty Terrain in Koko, Lele, and Bulu
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Rocks
  • Sub

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-types**: Deo-A, Mega Metagross, and Lele can send Kommo-o packing lol. Choice Scarf Lele in particular is handy at it can check Kommo-o even post-Clang.

**Fairy-types**: They are immune to to Clang and send Kommo-o to hell. Tapu Fini in particular is annoying because it also brings Misty Terrain, which weakens Clang. diansy takes anything

**Tapu Fini**:
**Ice-types**: Kyu-B outruns pre-Clang but can get sent packing post-Clang. HP Ice coverage i guess :blobshrug:

**Soundproof Kommo-o**: Basically can't touch them outside of CC. They can't touch you either if you're also Soundproof, however.

**Clangorous Clangblaze-immunities**: If Clangorous Clangblaze is used on two opponents that are both immune to it, whether through a Fairy-typing or Soundproof, Kommo-o doesn't get the boost. With two such immunities around, Kommo-o can be denied boosts pretty easily.

**Trick Room**: turns the tables and takes away its speed. diancie in particular is brutal against kommo-o bc lol

**Wide Guard**: can stop Clanging Scales (doesn't stop Clangblaze and its boosts)

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck comin in hot

[OVERVIEW]
  • maybe talk more about how fini absolutely eats kommo's dinner, when any mon is 100% checked by a tier 1 mon its a big concern in teambuilding
  • i know u probably wouldve said this in a more fleshed out skeleton but in the last bullet about having 1 chance to set up talk about how kommo requires more patience than something like zygarde or even xy azu bc its so reliant on good positioning

[SET]
  • my only thing here is that i think bulletproof should be slashed over soundproof, i generally prefer being untouchable by gengar stabs than immune to opposing kommo o
  • oh also super small thing lol 8 Atk Kommo-o Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Stakataka: 328-388 (100.6 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO 4 more att so u dont hit that 1/16 miss (even tho its prolly chople or sash)
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • moves look fine, but i dont know if opposing kommo is worth a mention with CC, i think the idea of hitting stuff like ttar and incin is better because those are the mons threatening your trapper & u arent doing that much damage until that kommo lowers its def with clang
Set Details
========
  • i wouldnt even mention rash nature, why would u use a kommo o that gets dookied by deo a
Usage Tips
========
  • this looks fine, looks like you covered the major points
Team Options
========
  • include incin with u turners, incin is one of the best kommo partners with fake out and slow u turn
  • i would even go as far as saying have two hard fini checks (gengar and bulu/koko) bc of how much you need to control terrain and remove the fini
  • goth cant override terrain by itself lol, if u mean by trapping the opps non fini mons be more specific (actually now that i look at the formatting again this part just looks like a typo but FIX it memo u scum) (hehe)
  • maybe include a part about redirection? amoonguss is a p good kommo partner as long as u have stuff for deo/lele/gross
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• ik u will but make sure to include that if u run dragon pulse third u can run timid!!
  • rocks is honestly an unset, coverage or sub is way better, i wouldnt mention

Checks and Counters
===================
  • fini might deserve its own point here lol but at least give it a ton of emphasis
  • maybe include opposing trappers, kommo teams thrive off positioning and if u cant change positioning quickly ur at a big disadvantage

looks super good as usual memo :blobthumbsup:

I have a couple suggestions as well:
  • I think you should mention how it requires a little too much support to work properly in the overview. For example, Mega Gengar and either Tapu Koko or Bulu are like nearly mandatory and even then you’d still need something like Incineroar to help it set up and possibly even some form of Speed control in Araquanid or Suicune. You kind of covered this roughly but in my opinion it’s one of Kommo-o’s main flaws and should be highlighted a bit more.
  • On a similar manner I think in Team Options you should mention forms of Speed control like Araquanid and Suicune because from my experience it’s Speed even at +1 doesn’t quite enough, with stuff like Scarf Genesect and opposing Speed control kind of screwing it up. The two mentioned are also a countermeasure against Trick Room too I guess, so I feel they’re worth a mention.
  • This is pretty knitpicky, but maybe mentioning sacrificing a Pokémon to Stealth Rock as a “Clangorous Clangblaze immunity” of sorts? Because most players could have the one-dimensional perspective of “my opponent only has one immunity so it’s fine” and forget about stuff like this.
  • Lastly, when mentioning stuff like Fini that should be taken care of before attempting to sweep, I think mentioning other soft checks in general.
You’re obviously more experienced than I am so take my suggestions with a grain of salt please.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
First of all, you're pretty much exaggerating how much support Kommo-o needs. At most, it needs only a Tapu that can dispel Misty, everything else gravy. Kommo-o is not something that you need to dedicate so much for to work; it only needs to position itself well, which, if you're not bad, doesn't require a Mega Gengar / Goth lol (example team with only a Tapu [not even Incin]). Second, you're underestimating just how effective can be even with just +1; that already leaves it able to outrun most of the meta except the boosted ones like Scarf Gene. Of course, it's going to have an iffy matchup against Scarf Gene, since that's literally the point of it (to act as a need-be revenge killer in addition to being a pin); however, that itself (in addition to respecting Scarf Lele) doesn't merit an explicit mention of Speed control, which all doubles teams are already expected to run anyway, as Kommo-o's general effectiveness doesn't entirely hinge on it being present. For the third point: that's too specific. For the last point: the point about Fini is not about it trying to aim for a "sweep" but moreso a general note that Kommo-o can't do much while it's still alive; I already grazed over the fact that Kommo-o is either something you use to pressure an entire opposing team or clean mid-late when its checks are weakened.

why'd so many wankers like that post anyway smh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)