KotOR: Online announced, EA involved

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blog.../17/ea-to-play-in-knights-of-the-old-republic

This game sounds good in concept but will probably be shit. The only company with a longer track record of fucking up MMOs is SoE. 20 bucks says they take the WoW route and steal the EQ combat system and dumb it down for first time MMOers and make it a gear based grindfest. I kinda hope it turns out to be good and they keep the standard bioware D&D system crap in it, but I also really don't care because I've been waiting for a MMO which will probably be better for the past three years or so.

It will at least be better than the shit they turned SWG into, but for some reason I think it will end up being a linear MMO which are always shitty. Almost zero chance for it to be cannon after the continuity genocide known as SWG. If they do keep to the original KotOR systems though I'd definitely play my uber lightside guardian duelist/speed/valor/flurry build that killed everything in both games aside from Kreia/Malak in 2 hits (It sent Bastila/Scion into dialog in one hit).

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
OMG KotOR news! Woot, yes yes yes!

Ok, I'm over being estatic, and I'll have a proper look at the article now >.>
EDIT: Hrm, well it looks like this is going to be one where we'll have to "wait and see" if it turns out good, as so many people seem convinced it will fail. I really hope it turn out great.

Well I would probably be hyped about this, but I have my MMO commitments placed with Warhammer Online. Pretty cool idea though!

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I guess they figured since they didn't finish the story of the second KOTOR, they just would straight up not bother with a story this time around.

What a shame, what with the original being actually good and all.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't get it. Bioware hasn't ever even made an MMO before, how do they have a longer track record of fucking up MMOs than Sony Online Entertainment? o.o;

I'm talking about EA there. EA only really fucked up UO but god did they fuck it up. Great game reduced to utter shit in less than a year, even SWG died more slowly :( EA is to money what Paris Hilton is to cock, they will do anything to obtain it. They will fuck with whatever bioware tries to do just like they fucked around with westwood and all of the other good companies they have taken and made into shit.

Basically expect another EQclone but hope for the best, EA is not interested in staying true to a game's playstyle, it is not interested in innovation and it is not interested in happy customers, it is only interested in money.

I'm talking about EA there. EA only really fucked up UO but god did they fuck it up. Great game reduced to utter shit in less than a year, even SWG died more slowly :( EA is to money what Paris Hilton is to cock, they will do anything to obtain it. They will fuck with whatever bioware tries to do just like they fucked around with westwood and all of the other good companies they have taken and made into shit.

Basically expect another EQclone but hope for the best, EA is not interested in staying true to a game's playstyle, it is not interested in innovation and it is not interested in happy customers, it is only interested in money.
This seems a lot like SOE...

All we can do is wait and see, I really hope it will be a good game.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They were complaining for no reason. It wasn't even officially unveiled until two days ago.

I really hope this game is awesome, I'm a diehard KotOR fan, because, that game was just, undeniably awesome.

Awesome.

The thing that worries me is that in an MMO Gameplay and Story are going to be nearly diametrically oppossed. You can't have good story unless you can significantly affect the world around you (especially the way Bioware does these games) but if you can change planets' alignement etc. then that will interfere with gameplay.

It just doesn't seem like something that could be intermeshed effectively. If there is one group that can do it though, it is Bioware.

That company has a golden track record; I mean their worst game in a long time was that Sonic DS RPG, which was absolutely beautiful BTW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)