SM OU KtutiumZ RMT#1: TheArtOfBlueHailStall (icyrock+DRYPASS quickstall) peak#63+41/6 suspect

Do you want me to gather all my concept builds in a big post/make a series of RMTs:

• KtutGOAT yes!!!

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • Well there might be interesting ideas...

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Ok keep making dysfunctional teams ladder hero (quote) -_-

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
THE ART OF BLUE HAIL STALL

Artwork by Ktütverde

Hi guys !

Here's Ktutverde again (oh no not him please)!! Ok so let's do it again...

Here's Bizarre*Blizzard alias J0n snover for a new unique team showcase! As every ladder player may know by now, there's a crazy guy spamming hail teams in OU with Icy Rock Abomasnow. Why? Because I'm fond of Abo that's all. No, the real reason is that I want to show you that Hail Stall can work. And it does!

A long time ago some genius builders got amazing results with Infinite Hail : it was in DPP that we saw the last viable hailstalls and hail was thought to be dead. However, good hail teams got success in gen5 and gen6.
I encourage you to check Nirvana's hail of -Snow as a reference of Hail tho not stall in gen6. Thanks Snow for not leaving me alone in my hail adventure!

If you want to know what inspired me and allowed me to believe my unlikely concept could work, give a look to what is the Holy Hail Bible to me :

THE HAIL-STALL BIBLE
Goodbye gen4 !
The art of hail stall
from respectively Lady Bug ; The_Elitist and mien

Now comes Sun&Moon. 180 base stat mons go rampant and Z moves one shot everything.
Stall has managed to live thanks to Chansey+Sableye+Dugtrio insane control.
I won't use any of them and I will use the NU pokemon Abomasnow.
I will turn the hail damage into a passive wincondition.
I will actively cripple my opponents.
I will do what I think the best.
Hail isn't good in itself.
So I won't peak1.
Enjoy!

In early SM, I was already trying to get a good result with hail. I thought that checking as many threats as possible was the key to make up for the poor utility of abomasnow
. Tentacruel has ever been the best partner of abomasnow: but now we get Mega-Tentaskill or as I called him: Tentaskill-Ash

+

Then came what is to me a staple for any viable Hailstall team: Defog skarmory

Since Lele was already there, and that I expected Mega-medicham to come, I had no choice but to add Mew, which forms a perfect hazard control core with Skarmory and provides utility moves so I can actively cripple slow teams easily.

Finally, I added the only ground type (voltswitch is scary) able to effectively counter heatran and able to be an amazing status absorber : indeed, there's no room for clerics in hail teams due to the need of heavy team compression.

The last part was so fun ! The incredible synergy between my 4 stallers allowed me to introduce a breaker: excepted chansey and clefable, nothing can wall forever the HailKing.

The team had originally banded kyube with freeze shock. Excepted KyuremB, the team hasn't changed at all.

This team works with the SUBPASS strategy and is very weak to Greninja-Ash in some situations where I lose my Quickstall momentum. Unfortunately, I can't wait for Greninja ash to be banned because BP might be quickbanned before.

THIS IS THEREFORE A PRO-DRYPASS CAMPAIGN WHICH SHOWS THAT BATON PASS IS A NECESSARY TOOL FOR SOME STRATEGIES THO NOT BROKEN ! Just as I finish the RMT I'm told BatonPass has been quickbanned. Too bad. I will edit the set if I use it again, probably some SubRoostToxic may be great vs offense. If you use the team feel free to tell me what gliscor set you choose!

The team

KtutiumZ (Abomasnow) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer

The lead:

My favourite pokemon set ever. Abomasnow's defenses and typing shouldn't be underestimated and allow him to effectively deal with tapufini and bulky waters. Access to leech seed make him the best hail setter, and the grass typing provide one of the two water resists which are to me mandatory in any team which isn't HO.

Always lead with it and kill smeargle in one turn, protect again other leads, and use leech seed+protect as much as possible to quickly wear opposing mons down. Bringing abomasnow 3 times means 24 hail turns, versus opposing stall you must try yo keep hail up as much as possible to force recovers.

MangeTonOeuf (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off

The special wall:

Mew provides insane compression for any team without chansey. He fits the knock off, wOw, defog role, while also walling tapu lele, medicham (56 def because of hail cancelling leftovers), venusaur, latios, while outspeeding many slow things.
Knock off+ hail passively wears heatran down.

The EVS allow to deal safely with latios, stallbreaker tapu lele too. The Modest specs variant is way too powerful even though I have only lost once to this insane set. Anyway I've built this team considering it would reach it's full potential when Greninja would be banned and lele too, so as long as they are here it's sometimes hard to win.

Cuicuirass (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

The physical wall:

After a lot of battles, I found out that skarmory+abomasnow was a standard combo in my hail teams. There are almost no safe landorus counters in OU, so guess who fits the role and was able to keep his rocks out. Pinsir is so scary that I needed a safe counter too.

I had no other mon able to set up rocks; counter is mandatory versus pinsir and tapu bulu: whirlwind is a complete waste since it does 0 damage and leaves skarmory with half his health in this team. NEVER stay on +2 bisharp otherwise pinsir cleans after: use gliscor as a fast wall able to outspeed bisharp (adamant in SM).

Tentaskill-Ash (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

The... wall:

Ô thanks SM for bringing what a hail player dreams of: some "mega tentacruel" able to wall ZardY gengar keldeo physical attackers throughout the whole game. Maybe my wish was heard by Arceus^^
Toxapex is the switchin to so many threats that I can't imagine a hail team without him. No rapid spin contrary to tentacruel but such great stats and ability that it completely outshines tentacruel. I think tentacruel deserved some buff so I called him Tentaskill-Ash.

Toxic for volcarona and charizardX/Y, besides toxic spikes are of no use when you run double defog.

Glyphscor (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 168 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Baton Pass
- Roost

The Status Absorber & Quick stall Control:

DON'T BAN BATON PASS!!!! Zarel can implement Drypass easily! You may say: just change this to sub toxic. No!! Once behind a sub, my opponent may use stealth rock easily or set up a pinsir, gyarados... well no: you give a substitute to Kyurem or skarmory, toxapex, and sometimes to abomasnow so as to put pressure : this Gliscor is at the heart of my QUICK STALL team.

He is the heatran counter, and easily sets up subs on ferrothorns after they are burnt. It puts a hardstop to voltturn chains and when it gets a substitute, you can pass it and get a free kill with...

Ktut-Rex (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The breaker:
Well once kyurem is in, 90% of the time something faints. Lifeorb isn't need for such a task: toxapex, ferrothorn, heatran, magearna, tapufini, landorus.... they are either one shot or 2HKO, or quickly fall in KO range thanks to the hail. Don't get rid of HP fire please: I tried and got simply walled for a whole game by a Mega Scizor.

I started with a modest nature, but it didn't provide much utility and made me too much speed tie dependant versus banded zygarde and modest tapu leles. Yeah, ironically, modest lele can manage to break past mew, but is therefore unable to outspeed KyuremB.

I hope nobody will blame me for using cancer toxapex and skarmory when I carry such an active wincondition: I do hate brainless hardstall! My goal is just to pass subs to kyurem and open holes, and keep stalling as long as I can't pass, tho it's not so passive since hail steadily wears Kyurem's counters -steel types- down.

Chansey: a real pain since it's the only "common" OU mon able to wall KyuremB. Spamming leechseeds and woodhammers often did the job, and in theory gliscor+toxapex ppstall the blob.
Greninja-Ash: if it comes at the wrong moment, and flinches toxapex, well lol what does one do versus 150 stat specs darpulse without a chansey. Ban please.
Modest Specs Tapu Lele: I guess having psychic terrain isn't enough, add specs and still not enough: ok let's just cry vs modest triple stab tapu lele. Hopefully kyurem outspeeds it but tho that thing has no counterplay in OU excepted Muk-Alola (lol) and dugtrio (crap).

PsychiumZ volcarona: cmon

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-570126650 : my first battle where I test the team vs njnp's for fun and realise it actually works! Clean 6-0
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-572612141 : discover what is the Quickstall momentum
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-582440522 : ironically I had to fight a friend to finally get a replay showing the team in its full potential. Thanks a lot for this battle, you don't know what it represents for me.
I used the team during the suspect mainly and didn't save many replays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7oususpecttest-572925914
the 6-0 versus a Scolipede-pass offense which got me to the 2700 coil reqs. Gliscor subpass+Hail vs morning sun happens to be stronger than brainless setup :)

KtutiumZ (Abomasnow) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
MangeTonOeuf (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off

Cuicuirass (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Tentaskill-Ash (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Ktut-Rex (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Glyphscor (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 168 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Baton Pass
- Roost

And finally shoutouts to:
Jinover : best PS! friend ever, thanks a million man we are the best crazy-build team in the world ;)
LBLOL7 : keep being so happy ^^
michy47 : great battles vs you man!
Kickasser : thanks a lot for telling me you loved my hail RMTs fren!
0Nl : who uses slaking probably better than me !_!
egalvanc : my favourite troll :3
Maybe Win : I hope we'll see again soon man, I thought to you making this rmt!
Lifeisaroll : I did it man, here's the hail stall!!
-Niko- : maybe we'll fight when I join the smogtours bro!
san†ino : I'm sure this team is not crazy at all for you^^
yandaud : thanks a lot for the support mate!
Haken : when you're back we're gonna build the heatest team ever I promise!

Jinover just PMs me (yeah now when I'm writing) that Baton Pass is banned. Too late then. I won't delete my message tho. My team may still work with subtoxic or uturn gliscor: feel free to use it. I will edit it when I find out what's the best change :)

See ya soon in my next "concept RMT" !! :)

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
your text
bugs if someone knows how to fix that...

So don't forget to open all the orange boxes to check for content -_-

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey! Cool team, Abomasnow is not one of my favourites mon, but it is unsual and I like the team, yep.

A small change here; medicham really breaks your team capable of 2KOing all your mons with rocks because of your mew´s spread. I suggest you changing the ev spread of mew to 96+ def to survive 2 hjk of medi with rocks up.

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 96+ Def Mew: 160-189 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You are saying that you are struggling with volcarona, you are running a useless move on gliscor (batton pass), you can change it to rock slide for killing volcarona. Change substitute to put toxic sounds good too.

These are the changes, see you in spanish room :)

Reactions: 0NI
Hey! Cool team, Abomasnow is not one of my favourites mon, but it is unsual and I like the team, yep.

A small change here; medicham really breaks your team capable of 2KOing all your mons with rocks because of your mew´s spread. I suggest you changing the ev spread of mew to 96+ def to survive 2 hjk of medi with rocks up.

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 96+ Def Mew: 160-189 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You are saying that you are struggling with volcarona, you are running a useless move on gliscor (batton pass), you can change it to rock slide for killing volcarona. Change substitute to put toxic sounds good too.

The rock Slide sounds amazing on paper because of trouble with volcarona but it's a stall dry pass Team and baton pass is needed to pass the substitute to Kyurem Black Just read what he says about gliscor lol

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course

My team is ass on paper; it works thanks to a great stall momentum that mew and gliscor+kyurem provide. I really encourage you to check the few replays I added since it shows much better how the team works. Just see gliscor's momentum and you'll see than rock slide is quite pointless, all the more so as +1 inferno overdrive just kills it. Using psychiumZ is quite gimmick anyway.... As Slakinglike points out, you (anybody wanting to suggest changes actually) should read my descriptions and check some replays so as to make your rate relevant, even though I might be tough since hail shenaningans are obvious only to me :/
Here is a modjoin sync replay were my team 6-0's a Scolipede-pass offense thanks to gliscor subpass+ Hail versus Morning sun sweepers !
Still thank you for the mew spread, since I'm not taking two hits from lele specs under hail anyway, so I might change it!! BP being banned, I'll have to work out a new strategy with gliscor: thanks for suggesting rock slide, any suggestions are actually welcome. I will edit it when it's done!

Ktütverde

of course
Replay versus Scolipede Pass allowing me to get the Suspekt Reqs 6-0 (I had to put it!) added to the replay box. Subpass + Hail vs morning sun become the real Win Condition !!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)