Doubles emma when u see this l2p (Kyurem-B)

:bw/kyurem-black:

the bw sprite for this thing goes dummy hard

[OVERVIEW]

Kyurem-B is blessed with the combination of solid mixed attacking capabilities, good defensive stats—which make it difficult to remove, a potent boosting option in Dragon Dance, and excellent coverage moves in Fusion Bolt and Earth Power, making it one of the most threatening forces in Doubles OU. It can be used on almost any team due to its universally beneficial combination of offensive pressure and utility, utility both in outright checking threats like Rillaboom and Zygarde and even speed control from Icy Wind. Its monstrously strong Dragon Dance set is also one of the most potent wincons in the tier, especially when paired with Fake Out and redirection support from the likes of Incineroar and Amoonguss, though it struggles against Trick Room Pokemon, particularly Diancie. Unfortunately, Kyurem-B's relatively average Speed tier leaves it outrun by checks like Urshifu-R and Genesect, which can hit it for super effective damage. Additionally, its poor defensive typing leaves it open to multiple powerful fringe attacks such as Galarian Zapdos's Close Combat, Nihilego's Meteor Beam, and Metagross's Steel Roller.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Icicle Spear
move 2: Fusion Bolt
move 3: Dragon Dance
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers / Chople Berry
ability: Teravolt
nature: Adamant
evs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Dragon Dance boosts Kyurem-B's already sky-high Attack. Additionally, it outruns the entire unboosted metagame at +1 Speed, and it even outruns the likes of Heatran in Tailwind and Choice Scarf Genesect at +2.

* Icicle Spear is Kyurem's main attack, OHKOing the likes of Zygarde and Dragapult unboosted while also scoring OHKOs on Rillaboom and Zapdos at +1 with at least three hits.

* Fusion Bolt gives Kyurem-B great coverage, hitting Water-types like Tapu Fini and Urshifu-R, as well as Steel-types such as Heatran and Genesect that resist Icicle Spear.

* Protect is necessary for keeping Kyurem-B safe from attacks like Necrozma's Meteor Beam and Fake Out from Incineroar and Rillaboom, in addition to providing a turn to bring in supportive partners like Amoonguss and Incineroar.

* Leftovers can be very useful because Kyurem-B often gets worn down when attempting to set up Dragon Dances. Chople Berry lets it take a Close Combat from any variant of Urshifu-R, allowing it to use Dragon Dance to then outspeed and OHKO it back with Fusion Bolt.

* With 136 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature, Kyurem-B will always OHKO Zygarde with two hits from Icicle Spear, while maximum Speed investment allows it to tie Adamant Zygarde unboosted and outrun Dragapult and Zeraora at +1 Speed.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Ice Beam
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Icy Wind
item: Assault Vest
nature: Hasty
evs: 252 HP / 96 SpA / 8 SpD / 152 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ice Beam is a very reliable STAB move, hitting numerous common Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Rillaboom, and Zapdos for super effective damage, while Fusion Bolt makes good use of Kyurem-B's great Attack stat, hitting Water-types like Volcanion and Tapu Fini.

* Earth Power is an excellent coverage move, hitting Fire- and Steel-types including Heatran, Incineroar, and Metagross.

* Icy Wind provides a means of speed control while also 2HKOing the likes of Zygarde and Dragapult through redirection.

* The EV spread, combined with Assault Vest, allows Kyurem-B to outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Zygarde and survive a Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Dragapult.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Kyurem-B can use a Life Orb mixed attacking or Choice Band physical set to have a stronger immediate offensive presence; however, the former gets worn down fairly quickly with recoil, while the latter can be taken advantage of based on the move it locks in to. Freeze-Dry can be used over Fusion Bolt to avoid running a Defense-lowering nature and hit Water-types that aren't weak to Electric like Kingdra and Dracovish. Like Leftovers, Heavy-Duty Boots can be useful for preserving its health, but it is useless if the opponent isn't using entry hazard. Dragon Tail phazes Trick Room setters and setup sweepers like Porygon2 and Dragon Dance Kyurem-B, respectively, though it cannot be used on Diancie. Flash Cannon can hit Diancie but serves little purpose otherwise.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[zeefable, 501951]]
- Quality checked by: [[Yoda2798, 243662], [emma, 294304]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
  • In the Overview I'd talk about DD being vulnerable to TR, particularly Diancie.
  • I wouldn't mention being crippled by Sleep, that's not specific to Kyub, if anything it's better against Sleep than most things since it can hit Amoonguss.
  • For the AV spread, mention the dump in SpA.
  • These KOs Icicle Spear is "capable" of is quite ambiguous on what you mean, like +1 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Icicle Spear (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 36 Def Rillaboom: 348-412 (86.3 - 102.2%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO, if you mean you get them with 3+ hits then you need to specify.
  • For DD bulky is better, 164 HP / 92 Atk / 252 Spe gets the KO on Nihi at +1 (+1 92+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nihilego: 359-423 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO).
  • Again, when mentioning Protect, I really don't think it makes sense to mention Spore when you threaten Amoong.
  • For DTail I'd mention DD Kyub rather than Spect as a more relevant example, and add "respectively" to be ultra clear you mean P2 is TR rather than setup. I'd also add as a drawback that you miss out on stopping Diancie (since it's immune).
  • I'd mention Flash Cannon for hitting Diancie.
Implement these for QC 1/2!

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thoughts on the EV spreads:

DD set. 92 Atk EVs gets the OHKO on Nihlegio and 164 HP hits a Leftovers number. However, if not using Leftovers i.e. Heavy-Duty-Boots, or any other item, I feel 96 Atk EVs would be preferred since with Adamant nature it hits the +2 benchmark (i.e. gain 2 Atk at the expense of 1 HP).

Assault Vest. I feel this could be further optimised with a +/- nature. Using Mild with 248 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 88 SpD / 60 Spe gives the exact same stat spread. I chose -Def since both because its Kyurem's lowest stat and that the previous set doesn't have any Def EVs. However, given that the previous EV spread prioritises SpA over Def, I feel a Mild 252 HP / 108 SpA / 88 SpD / 60 Spe for both more SpA and overall more stat points would be preferred. On a side note, with the latter EV spread, Earth Power then deals more damage than Fusion Bolt to Volcanion; Blastoise would be a better mention for Fusion Bolt instead.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I know you're still updating this, but for AV, I've been using this spread: 248 HP / 24 Def / 16 SpA / 108 SpD / 112 Spe with a Rash nature
- outrun Modest Heatran to Earth Power it before it can use Eruption, Timid Pelipper to Fusion Bolt it before it can set Tailwind, and max Adamant Tsareena, which is used on offensive sets
- outrun -1 Naganadel
- take Jolly Scarf Urshifu-R's CC
- take Specs Pult Draco, OHKO in return with Ice Beam

you lose out on taking Nihilego's Meteor Beam, but the Urshifu calc seems important and the current spread doesn't guarantee the OHKO on Pult or outrun any of the benchmarks I listed

Also, (continuing the trend of not EV'ing for Nihilego) I use 136+ Atk on Dragon Dance Kyurem-B for this calc:
136+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Icicle Spear (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 360-432 (100.8 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
I know you're still updating this, but for AV, I've been using this spread: 248 HP / 24 Def / 16 SpA / 108 SpD / 112 Spe with a Rash nature
- outrun Modest Heatran to Earth Power it before it can use Eruption, Timid Pelipper to Fusion Bolt it before it can set Tailwind, and max Adamant Tsareena, which is used on offensive sets
- outrun -1 Naganadel
- take Jolly Scarf Urshifu-R's CC
- take Specs Pult Draco, OHKO in return with Ice Beam

you lose out on taking Nihilego's Meteor Beam, but the Urshifu calc seems important and the current spread doesn't guarantee the OHKO on Pult or outrun any of the benchmarks I listed

Also, (continuing the trend of not EV'ing for Nihilego) I use 136+ Atk on Dragon Dance Kyurem-B for this calc:
136+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Icicle Spear (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 360-432 (100.8 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Thanks for the suggestions, I've implemented both of these since the Nihilego benchmarks are way less relevant at this point. Did some other minor updates, including adding chople berry to the DD set, so I think this is ready for QC2 now.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Freeze Dry is OO worthy as an alternative to Fusion Bolt. It is aimed at sets with more SpA investment, which can include AV. A comparison to Fusion Bolt:
  • Can run -Atk nature without any drawback
  • Notably better against Kingdra, Dracovish, and Gastrodon, and generally better if your opponent has an Intimidate or WoW Pokemon. Notably worse against CM Fini, Volcarona, and Snarl users. Due to this, I feel that consistently Freeze Dry > Fusion Bolt on ladder, but generally Fusion Bolt > Freezy Dry in tournaments.
  • Non-significant differences in damage are Freeze Dry is better against Urshifu-R (it still beats you nor can you OHKO it), worse against Volcanion (you have Earth Power for it anyways) and Blastoise
  • Gives you a safer move in that you can use a Ice-move for most of the damage of Ice Beam (Icy Wind is notably weaker) whilst simultaneously covering a potential Water-type switch-in to tank the incoming Ice move. Against Z Strats team, this is notable on targetting a weakened Rillaboom/Kartana whilst covering a potential Urshifu switch-in.

I think Freeze Dry is OO worthy as an alternative to Fusion Bolt. It is aimed at sets with more SpA investment, which can include AV. A comparison to Fusion Bolt:
  • Can run -Atk nature without any drawback
  • Notably better against Kingdra, Dracovish, and Gastrodon, and generally better if your opponent has an Intimidate or WoW Pokemon. Notably worse against CM Fini, Volcarona, and Snarl users. Due to this, I feel that consistently Freeze Dry > Fusion Bolt on ladder, but generally Fusion Bolt > Freezy Dry in tournaments.
  • Non-significant differences in damage are Freeze Dry is better against Urshifu-R (it still beats you nor can you OHKO it), worse against Volcanion (you have Earth Power for it anyways) and Blastoise
  • Gives you a safer move in that you can use a Ice-move for most of the damage of Ice Beam (Icy Wind is notably weaker) whilst simultaneously covering a potential Water-type switch-in to tank the incoming Ice move. Against Z Strats team, this is notable on targetting a weakened Rillaboom/Kartana whilst covering a potential Urshifu switch-in.
Freeze Dry is definitely making it into this analysis. In QC We've been talking about finding a suitable "modern" AV Spread/moveset everyone can agree on so once we do it'll find its way in here somewhere

[OVERVIEW]
  • I would mention access to Dragon Dance in the first sentence as one of its defining features.
  • I would just say one of the most threatening forces in Doubles since while Dragon Dance is the first set, the Assault Vest is still quite good and common and its value doesn't come from offensive prowess.
[DRAGON DANCE]
  • Replace the Landorus-T example with Zygarde in the Icicle Spear line.
  • Mention how Protect is useful to pivot in support options like Fake Out Zeraora / Incineroar and Rage Powder Amoonguss.
  • Remove the double space before the AV set.
[ASSAULT VEST]
  • Looks good.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • I would change "useless if the opponent isn't using Stealth Rock" to "useless if the opponent isn't setting entry hazards."
  • [EDIT] Add Freeze Dry.

Good work as expected, QC 2/2

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Kyurem-B is blessed with the combination of solid mixed attacking capabilities, 120 / 100 / 90 good (or other word) defensive stats—which make it difficult to remove, a potent boosting option in Dragon Dance, and excellent coverage moves like in Fusion Bolt and Earth Power, making it one of the most threatening forces in doubles. Doubles OU. It can be used on almost any team due to the its universally beneficial combination of offensive pressure and utility it provides, utility both in terms of outright checking threats like Rillaboom and Zygarde and even speed control from Icy Wind. Its monstrously strong (optional/changeable, but there's a bit too much comma action this sentence. if you want to change that comma action another way, go ahead) Dragon Dance set, which makes use of Kyurem-B's monstrous base 170 Attack, is also one of the most potent wincons in the tier, especially when paired with Fake Out and redirection support from the likes of Incineroar and Amoonguss, though it struggles against Trick Room Pokemon, particularly Diancie. Unfortunately, Kyurem-B has a Kyurem-B's relatively average Speed tier at base 95 and is outran leaves it outrun by checks like Urshifu-R and Genesect that Genesect, which can hit it for super effective damage. Additionally, its poor defensive typing leaves it open to multiple powerful fringe attacks such as Galarian Zapdos's Close Combat, Nihilego's Meteor Beam, and Metagross's Steel Roller.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Icicle Spear
move 3: Dragon Dance
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers / Chople Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Dragon Dance is a large part of what makes physical Kyurem-B so threatening, as it boosts its boosts Kyurem-B's already sky-high Attack. Additionally, it outruns the entire unboosted metagame at +1 Speed, and it even outruns the likes of Heatran in Tailwind and Choice Scarf Genesect at +2.

* Icicle Spear is Kyurem's main attack, capable of OHKOing the likes of Zygarde and Dragapult at neutral unboosted while also scoring OHKOs on Rillaboom and Zapdos at +1 Attack with at least 3 three hits.

* Fusion Bolt gives Kyurem-B great coverage, hitting Water-types like Tapu Fini and Urshifu-R, (AC) as well as Steel-types such as Heatran and Genesect that resist Icicle Spear.

* Protect is necessary for keeping Kyurem-B safe from attacks like Necrozma's Meteor Beam and Fake Out from Incineroar and Rillaboom while also providing (either "Rillaboom, in addition to providing" or "Rillaboom, and it also provides", whichever is most appropriate) a turn to bring in supportive partners like Amoonguss and Incineroar.

* Leftovers affords Kyurem-B passive recovery which can be very useful as it can be very useful because Kyurem-B often gets worn down when attempting to set up Dragon Dances. Chople Berry lets it eat take a Close Combat from any variant of Urshifu-R, allowing it to use Dragon Dance and to then outspeed and OHKO it back with Fusion Bolt.

* With 136 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature, Kyurem-B will always OHKO Zygarde with two hits from Icicle Spear, while maximum Speed investment allows it to tie Adamant Zygarde at neutral unboosted and outrun Dragapult and Zeraora at +1 Speed. The remaining EVs are placed into HP to maximize Kyurem-B's bulk.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Ice Beam
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Icy Wind
item: Assault Vest
nature: Hasty
evs: 252 HP / 96 SpA / 8 SpD / 152 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ice Beam is a very reliable STAB move, (removed hyphen) hitting numerous common Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Zygarde, Rillaboom, and Zapdos for super effective damage, while Fusion Bolt makes good use of Kyurem-B's great Attack stat, hitting Water-types like Volcanion and Tapu Fini.

* Earth Power is an excellent coverage move, allowing Kyurem-B to hit hitting Fire- and Steel-types including Heatran, Incineroar, and Metagross.

* Icy Wind provides a means of speed control while also being useful for 2HKOing the likes of Zygarde and Dragapult through redirection. ("through redirection" feels a bit vague. if i'm not just missing something, could you elaborate a bit?)

* The EV spread, combined with Assault Vest, allows Kyurem-B to outspeed maximum Speed Adamant Zygarde and survive a Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Dragapult. The remaining EVs are placed in Special Attack to maximize its offensive presence.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Kyurem-B can make use of a Life Orb mixed attacking or Choice Band physical set to have a stronger immediate offensive presence, and can similarly do so with Choice Band on more physically inclined sets; however, the former gets worn down fairly quickly with recoil, (AC) while the latter can be taken advantage of based upon the move it chooses to lock locks in to. Freeze-Dry (added hyphen) can be used over Fusion Bolt to avoid running a Defense-lowering nature and hit Water-types that aren't weak to Electric like Kingdra and Dracovish. Like Leftovers, (I assume?) Heavy-Duty Boots lets it avoid taking hazard damage, which can also can be useful for preserving its health, but it is useless if the opponent isn't using entry hazards in the first place. Dragon Tail can be used to phase out phazes Trick Room setters and set-up setup sweepers like Porygon2 and Dragon Dance Kyurem-B, respectively, though it cannot be used on Diancie. Flash Cannon can be used to hit Diancie but serves no little (pick one of no/little) purpose otherwise.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[zeefable, 501951]]
- Quality checked by: [[Yoda2798, 243662], [emma, 294304]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]
adeleine.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)