Kyurem (Mixed Hone Claws)

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner

[SET]
Name: Kyurem (Mixed Hone Claws)
Move 1: Hone Claws
Move 2: Outrage
Move 3: Blizzard
Move 4: Focus Blast
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Hasty
Evs: 76 Atk, 216 SpA, 216 Spd

Why this Deserves to be On site
- After One Hone Claws, it gains the ability to destroy in OU
- Blizzard and Focus Blast Gain 93% after One Hone Claws, Giving Kyurem's Stab Blizzard a Punch
-Focus Blast Remedies Coverage problems by Taking out steels that would otherwise not have too much trouble with this set.
- A Plus 1 Outrage Decimates Even the Bulkiest of Walls (See Below Tab for Calcs on Common Walls in OU)
- Given Evs place Kyurem at 315 Attack, 350 Special Attack, and 308 Speed, which is enough to outspeed Positive Based 90s
- Many People forget about Kyurem's Beastly 130/130 Offensive stats and most believe that it is almost always physical

+1 Outrage vs 252/252 Bold Blissey: 85.01% - 100.14% (6.25% to KO, 81.25% with Stealth Rocks on the Field

Focus Blast vs 252/168 Relaxed Ferrothorn: 53.98% - 63.35% (Guaranteed 2HKO, even with Leftovers)

+1 Outrage vs 248/252 Bold Vaporeon: 71.49% - 84.23%
+1 Outrage vs 252/224 Bold Jellicent: 76.73% - 90.59%
+1 Outrage vs 252/252 Bold Eviolite Chansey: 63.21% - 74.29%
Focus Blast vs 4/0 Heatran: 98.15% - 115.43% (87.5% to OHKO)
Focus Blast vs 252/252 Calm Heatran: 65.8% - 77.2%
Focus Blast vs 252/192 Sassy Tyranitar in Sandstorm: 84.16% - 99.01%
Blizzard vs 252/136 Adamant Conkeldurr: 77.17% - 90.81%
Blizzard vs 4/0 Gyarados: 75.23% - 88.82% (Guaranteed OHKO with SR
Blizzard vs 252/0 Impish Forretress: 53.11% - 62.71%
Unboosted Outrage vs 4/0 Rotom-W: 88.83% - 103.73%

So what I'm trying to show through these calcs is that you can't just switch into this Kyurem once it has set up

Additional Comments
-Almost Impossible to Switch into, due to its Raw power with the Life Orb
- Can Take a hit pretty well due to 130/90/90 Defenses
- Typing is Pretty bad, due to Ice being weak to Many Common Attacks Such as Fighting and Rock
- Rocks will Drain its HP upon switching, so use something to spin them away

Teammates and Counter
-Scizor can take out opposing Dragons since they all Barring Dragonite Outspeed Kyurem and OHKO it
- Magnezone can Trap Jirachi who Counters this set and Substitute and Continue to hit it with HP Fires or Set up with Charge Beam
- Starmie can Spin away rocks to give Kyurem more Longevity
- Specially Defensive Jirachi Destroys this Set, as Kyurem is Weak to Iron head and will Only be 4HKOed by a LO Focus Blast
- Choice Banded Scizor does 90.5% - 106.4% with Bullet Punch, But Focus Blast will only do 58.6% - 68.8% to it.
- All Dragons can pretty much wreck it with their STAB attacks, Barring Dragonite
- Heatran can Take out Scizor And Jirachi Easily too
- Ferrothorn can lay up Hazards to Give Kyurem a better Time Sweeping

Prefect accuracy? You need to fix that. Hone Claws gives +1 accuracy, which is +30% iirc. .70 X 1.30 = 91%, which is not perfect, but it is a significant improvement.

The only problem I see is that I don't really see a need to use this thing when other set up dragons can gain the speed from DD and the extra power. Some logs of this set would be cool.

Jirachi still destroys this set, and sub+ hazards damage add up, I would give leftys a slash. If only he got levitate...

+1 makes all moves with 60 accuracy and up 100 (I think), but you're still slow and you're weak to all those Fighting- and Dragon-types that wreck your shit.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
benJamin, Lord of Bays... ~_~

Do not mention problems that all Kyurem face. Only talk about how this set performs relative to other Kyurem sets.

It doesn't matter what problems Kyurem has-- we're here to discuss a set that may or may not make the Kyurem analysis better.

I think my point still stands. You're not boosting your speed, and there are so many Pokemon that are faster that taking that turn to set up, or making the wrong call if you attack, just means Terrakion switched in and OHKO'd you with EITHER of his STABs.

Scarf has merit because you're revenging and speed isn't as big an issue, and Specs hits hard enough off the bat that only the pink blobs and a few Steel-types (Ferrothorn, Jirachi, etc.) can stomach that Draco Meteor or Blizzard.

I ran some calcs, and yeah, this thing is strong as hell (does around 50% on average to Ferro with +1 Draco Meteor. Focus Blast does slightly more at -1. Yikes). But the metagame is so hostile that Hone Claws is just asking for trouble.

blunder

is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I think my point still stands. You're not boosting your speed, and there are so many Pokemon that are faster that taking that turn to set up, or making the wrong call if you attack, just means Terrakion switched in and OHKO'd you with EITHER of his STABs.

Scarf has merit because you're revenging and speed isn't as big an issue, and Specs hits hard enough off the bat that only the pink blobs and a few Steel-types (Ferrothorn, Jirachi, etc.) can stomach that Draco Meteor or Blizzard.

I ran some calcs, and yeah, this thing is strong as hell (does around 50% on average to Ferro with +1 Draco Meteor. Focus Blast does slightly more at -1. Yikes). But the metagame is so hostile that Hone Claws is just asking for trouble.
Iirc and as I said in the set comments, you cannot just switch into Kyurem. This set isn't useless if you haven't set up. And explain why this set would fail in the current "hostile" metagame? Oh and (errakion isn't an issue- iirc any of Kyurem's moves will OHKO- don't count me on this, as it could have been with SR.

So does anyone actually like the set?

Kyurem has the bulk for a set like this, if only it wasn't so goddamn slow.
I think Leftovers is indeed the preferred option cause like I said, Kyurem is pretty slow and it will appreciate the additional recovery. And perhaps a Hasty nature over Naive? I wouldn't lower Kyurem's SDef cause it can take special hits (Surf, Thunderbolt, etc) reasonably well and it's probably the easiest way to set up. While the drop in Def doesn't really matter much as Bullet Punch, Close Combat will KO anyway.

After an Hone Claws, Blizzard's Accuracy will be 93%, so there's still a risk using it. I would mention some counters:
  1. Dragon Dancers (from Haxorus to Scrafty)
  2. Heatran (the Specially Defensive version can resist a Focus Blast and pay back with Fire Blast / Lava Plume / Dragon Pulse)
  3. Sub Jirachi (Even more if has Calm Mind)
  4. Scizor (Bullet Punch 1HKO, and anyway takes a shit from every attack)

As teammates, Ferrothorn is cool as can switch in Dragon- and Rock-type attacks, cripple the foes with Thunder Wave / Toxic / Leech Seed, and lay some hazards which are incredibly helpful in scoring 1HKOs (Stealth Rock breaks every Focus Sash, so it's crucial)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^wtf, how the hell can a dragon dancer switch in on this shit? Kyurem will blow up that shit as it switches in.

Also, Sp.Def Heatran a counter? You got to be kidding me. Heatran's attacks from a support set will truly do lol damage to kyuurem as it beats you down with focus blasts. Are you forgetting this thing's 125 / 90 / 90 defenses and that it's neutral to fire...? D:

I agree that a choice item lets kyurem get its job done with more dependability in OU's "hostile environment," but as others have said, even without specs, it's not like Kyuurem can't still spam blizzards and focus blasts early game, and late game, should the opportunity present itself, Hone Claws up and sweep. I'd imagine any stall strategy would have lots of issues with this kyurem.

...also I'm somewhat curious how this set would perform with Dragon Tail > Outrage. Might be AC worthy material.

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
^wtf, how the hell can a dragon dancer switch in on this shit? Kyurem will blow up that shit as it switches in.

Also, Sp.Def Heatran a counter? You got to be kidding me. Heatran's attacks from a support set will truly do lol damage to kyuurem as it beats you down with focus blasts. Are you forgetting this thing's 125 / 90 / 90 defenses and that it's neutral to fire...? D:

I agree that a choice item lets kyurem get its job done with more dependability in OU's "hostile environment," but as others have said, even without specs, it's not like Kyuurem can't still spam blizzards and focus blasts early game, and late game, should the opportunity present itself, Hone Claws up and sweep. I'd imagine any stall strategy would have lots of issues with this kyurem.

...also I'm somewhat curious how this set would perform with Dragon Tail > Outrage. Might be AC worthy material.
Sounds like a good idea, I can put that in Additional Comments. And btw, the above comment made me laugh so hard, Lol :D

Tried it out. It didn't do jack shit. The physically defensive Zapdos I put together to wall Terrakion (I never saw one, so whatever) and Scizor did more work than Kyurem did.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's already a Mixed Kyurem set here, and I fail to see much advantages that this set possesses over the other. Being able to use Kyurem outside of Hail? Why would you want to do that, though? I'd rather be able to spam Blizzard turn 1 than giving up a turn using Hone Claws just to use my special attacks. Hone Claws doesn't really help Kyurem break past its main counters Jirachi and Bronzong either. Kyurem honestly doesn't need Hone Claws boost as it already 2HKOs Chansey (after Rocks and Hail) and Blissey with Outrage and blasts bulky Water-types with Draco Meteor.

Unless you can provide reasons that allows this set to shine over its Hail Mixed Sweeper, this set wont pass.

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Tried it out. It didn't do jack shit. The physically defensive Zapdos I put together to wall Terrakion (I never saw one, so whatever) and Scizor did more work than Kyurem did.
>Physically Defensive Zapdos to Wall Terrakion? Nice Thinking ya got there

So In Conclusion what are you trying to say? Just say the set sucks if you think so, don't keep posting the problems

Pretty much going to echo what Pocket said. I actually like the set that Pocket linked better than the set you wrote. It's likely better to have Draco Meteor over Hone Claws simply because Draco hits so damn hard. Additionally, Kyurem's defensive typing sucks, so I'm gonna second making Leftovers the main option. Definitely add some HP EVs somewhere, since Kyurem is actually really bulky.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with Pocket too as the set is slightly better than what you have. If I had to use Hone Claws id run the old UU Sub Hone Claws Set I guess rather than running this set which imo is outclassed by the pure mixed set Pocket linked to

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We feel that this set doesn't contribute much to Kyurem's list of options other than an option to boost Attack + accuracy (which people will eventually catch on later), which has more of a home in OO than anything else, amongst other things.

QC Rejected [2/3]

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
QC REJECTED (3/3)

I feel that Kyurem doesn't have the time to set up + attack at the same time. Its too slow, and Hone claws doesn't even boost its special attack so really its not much of a boosting sweepers.

There's a mixed set thats in the works, and its basically the same as this one, but its more efficient. There is no point in running Kyurem outside of hail, its outclassed by Hydreigon / Latios otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)