ORAS NU La Perla - Sash Spam Offense

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
La Perla - Lax "A Sash-Spam Offense Team"
***mfw apparently its some weird brand, it was a song name from a while ago, oops :d

Introduction:

For those that don't know me, I'm known as "Lax" or "Laxuy" on smog and ps respectively. I did some mono stuff in the past but I've been really enjoying NU lately. This is an NU team that helped me win the live suspect tour and helped others get reqs for the Sceptile suspect. Enjoy!

I got the idea for this team when I saw someone use sash spam OU on the ladder. I just randomly came up with the idea of sash spam NU because it seemed like a fun idea. I actually based most of the mons off the OU team just trying to find suitable "counterparts" but that didn't end up working, so I just built to the best of my ability. Now, on to the team.

Teambuilding Process
Like on the OU team, I needed a really easy way to prevent hazards. The only magic bouncer user in NU is Xatu, and Xatu is an amazing mon with decent offensive stats and the ability Magic Bounce. I went for a more offensive set on it because I decided to make the team filled with wallbreakers.
Next, I added an Aurorus as an offensive lead stealth rocker. Aurorus has a good enough movepool to function as a lead rocker but is sadly pretty slow.
Then, I decided to add 2 very amazing nu threats, Charizard and Vivillon. People forget to prepare for Vivillon which makes it scary with QD + Sleep Powder. Charizard has barely any switch-ins and I decided to go for the lure set on this team.
Now, I figure that lots of rockers like Rhydon can pressure Xatu and get rocks up so I decided that I needed another spinner. Hitmonchan is one of the best offensive spinners, has decent bulk, access to priority, and is a really nice mon for this team. It provides somewhat of a dark and rock resist as well.
I chose my final mon Shiftry because I did not want to get destroyed by psychic types. Shiftry is also an extremely powerful mon with access to priority and 2 strong STABs as well as Swords Dance.

In-Depth Anaylsis

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Heat Wave
- Signal Beam

The first mon I added onto the team. Xatu prevents hazards while still having a strong offensive presence due to its solid speed and spa and its amazing movepool. Psyshock for stab, also does more than psychic to the many av users in NU like yama and mag. Grass Knot for water types and fat rock setters like Rhydon. Heat Wave to make sure steel types don't switch in and Signal Beam for dark types attempting to switch and my hard Malamar check. This set pressures many hazard setters and just inflicts tons of damage.

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Refrigerate
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Hyper Voice
- Encore​

I needed a solid rocks lead and ended up with aurorus. Aurorus serves as a decent flying and ice resist for Xatu and has access to all the moves a sash lead could use. Stealth Rocks are a necessity to all teams and T-Wave cripples threats or potential set-up sweepers. Hyper Voice for strong stab that has little switch-ins and Encore is used to lock the opposing mon into Set-Up or hazards or any status move really. This is a really underrated lead that puts in work vs many teams.

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Energy Ball

My first sash abuser. Vivillon is a nice underrated threat due to its access to Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance, allowing for potential sweeps. It has a decent speed, allowing it to sleep most nu mons and set up or attack afterwards. Hurricane is amazing flying stab that hits 91% accuracy due to Compound Eyes and Energy Ball is coverage to hit potential walls such as Rhydon or Lanturn. This is the late-game sweeper as long as you keep rocks off the field and play correctly.

Charizard
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

My next mon is Charizard. Not only did it provide a semi-decent fire resist, but the set I'm running works as an amazing lure. I saw the set on the SPL NU sets thread (sorry forgot who posted) and thought this would work well on my team. Opponents don't see an item on zard, which leads them to believe it goes by acrobatics + only physical moves. HP Grass and Fire Blast allows it to break any potential "walls" to the physical set such as Rhydon and hits them hard. Acrobatics still hits pretty hard due to zard's ok base attack and the no-item boost. This set has worked amazingly for the team.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Now, as some rock setters can still pressure Xatu a bunch, I decided to opt for a second hazard control mon, that being Hitmonchan. Hitmonchan is a top offensive spinner in the current NU meta and definitely meshed well with the team. It provided a soft rock and dark resist and has a nice movepool. Drain Punch with the boost of Iron Fist hits hard and is able to preserve some of the necessary health on Hitmonchan and Mach Punch is nice priority that helps with revenge killing. Ice Punch is just coverage to hit flying types and also hit spinblockers such as Rotom and Mismagius pretty hard. Hitmonchan's spin is what I resort to if Xatu is dead or if rocks have been set up.

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance

I figured my final mon had to utilize Focus Sash as well. I decided on Shiftry due to the great offensive presence it has as it has access to amazing moves. Swords Dance is definitely threatening as at +2 sucker punch ohkos numerous things and +2 knock off is always scary. Leaf Blade is coverage and STAB that hits extremely hard. Focus Sash also bluffs Lum Berry SD shiftry, which is a fun thing. It provides a soft water and dark resist and has lots of pressure due to its movepool and stats.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-347298678 - vs Christo in finals of suspect tour
Can't find the others (I suspect on alts for fun but forgot the alts D:)

Threatlist:
Rotom is an extremely threatening mon because my only "switch-ins" are Shiftry and Hitmonchan and those could potentially be wittled. The rest of my team has to pressure it usually.
Kanga and all normal types pressure my team a bunch because my normal resist, Aurorus, is meant as a sash lead and many normal types run coverage such as eq and close combat. T-waving them with aurorus is the best way to chew a hit and cripple it, then try to beat it down with other mons.
Mar threatens most teams, which is usually why every team has some sort of bug coverage. I have no definite switch-in to superpower or koff.

Importable:
Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Energy Ball

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Refrigerate
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Hyper Voice
- Encore

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Heat Wave
- Signal Beam

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Charizard
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost
Freaks of PS: trash - i fucking love you man, favorite user by far Chakra iGlack ceraa uu iz da shizzle (edgy name) TM (nice smogon -_-) Yaksok Logic. Arifeen Irraquated (afd wanted to be added here) - we just fuck around

TRUe Squad: Feliburn thecrystalonix lighthouses MrAldo aoemica Capteon Kableye tehy Madoka MainEvent Meteordash Tahu rozes (fat) ZANBAKUResh SlottedPig Ryoma Nagare (terrible name change) cityfolk DrReuniclus Churmp eeveert- this introduced me to so many competent and fun players, you guys are all cool

Monoisabadtierlol: all falls down raj! Wyn Yaksok (weeb) Balto Paleo scpinion Dirpz (i hate you) Cell AV8 Mold North Jyph Sabella Zukushiku Kammi Anttya Azelea Ridley. Dorell (speak to me my man.) Wanka BlackJak - pretty much how i started competitive battling, met all these cool people when i first started and when i was getting into smog

NU: Silver Aurum (also weeb) marilli (love mar) Shadestep nupl team: Jarii Raseri NotNova lolbro Shaneghoul and everyone else, sorry for letting you guys down w1, looking forward to building and future weeks though!

wdff fam: Geotal FORTUNE North Stockings cala - you guys are dead but were amazing bros :)

if I forgot you lmk, I rushed this whole thing D:

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi buddy, at first glance this seems like a pretty solid take on offense and your suspect tour win would definitely confirm that. Lo Xatu is a pretty underrated set that you've managed to make the most of. The team, for the most part, is pretty optimized so I only have one suggestion that might benefit the team a good amount.
  • - Will-o-Wisp > Hidden Power grass on Charizard is a moveset change that I think would help your match up vs kanga in particular if you manage to get a burn off. Other normal types like Tauros and Swellow are held back by the amount of priority you have while Kanga has the bulk and power to put in some work versus more offensive teams like this one, which means having another way to subdue it could come in handy. Wisp also somewhat helps versus malamar as well since you're forcing to rest eventually which is the last thing opponents would want to concede versus faster paced team like this one. Hidden Power grass I view as less useful mainly due to the fact that you have plenty of coverage options to handle things like rhydon with things like Xatu, Shiftry, and Hitmonchan. Wisp also still has utility in the rhydon match up since predicting the switch in and landing a burn makes it a lot easier for xatu and hitmonchan to prevent hazards and force it out.
There's my two cents on your rmt, good luck with the team~

Reactions: lax
hey lax, i like this team alot. i tried smth similar in the early rounds of last years NU open w/ sash spam (t-wave aurorus is my baby @_@) but my team was ass so i got knocked out early lmao. the biggest weakness i can see with your team is how prone it is to bulky boosters like crodino, cm mush w/ a way to hit shiftry, and malamar since stuff like hitmonchan and no item zard typically dont hit hard enought to where you prevent them from setting up.

have you thought about running an endeavor set on vivillon? i still maintains its ability to act like a cool lead, but also has the ability to weaken bulky boosters enough to where they cant come in safely to any of your other mons. losing quiver dance sucks, but your team supplies enough offensive pressure to where it isn't a HUGE loss imo.

cool team and gl in NUPL (except when we play you hehe)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)