Doubles Landorus-T (GP 1/1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

Landorus-T possesses the unique combination of Intimidate, Stealth Rock, and U-turn, which, alongside its bulk, make it a decent pivot. It fits best on balance teams, with some of its best partners including Volcanion for its ability to switch into Water- and Ice-type attacks, Metagross for being one of the best checks to Kyurem-B, and Rillaboom for being being able to beat Water-types like Tapu Fini. There are, however, some notable drawbacks to Landorus-T. Two of the best Pokemon in the tier, Kyurem-B and Tapu Fini, are very unfavorable matchups for Landorus-T. In addition, it is also threatened by Pokemon that run Ice-type coverage such as Genesect and Porygon2. Intimidate is also a less notable selling point than it has traditionally been due to the state of the metagame, with Urshifu-R able to land critical hits through any Attack drops using Surging Strikes and Diancie, Metagross, and Dragapult able to ignore Intimidate completely due to Clear Body. Offensively, Landorus-T struggles to do major damage to anything that isn't weak to Ground, but it can pick up OHKOs on Heatran and Nihilego. It also faces competition from Pokemon like Incineroar and Zygarde for a teamslot; the former has access to the Intimidate + pivot move combination while also having Fake Out and a better defensive typing, though Landorus-T does better than Incineroar against opposing Zygarde and Zeraora, while the latter has much more offensive potential.

[SET]
name: Pivot
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Toxic / Protect
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Intimidate
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 64 SpA / 60 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

* Despite having much higher Attack than Special Attack, Earth Power is recommended over Earthquake due to the latter being weakened by Grassy Terrain and opposing Intimidate.

* U-turn allows Landorus-T to pivot out, letting you better position yourself while allowing for future opportunities to switch back in and threaten the foe with Intimidate.

* Setting up Stealth Rock can chip away at opposing switch-ins, most notably Kyurem-B and Incineroar.

* Toxic is useful for wearing down setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Zygarde and Dragon Dance Kyurem-B or bulky foes like Porygon2 and Diancie. Protect can help Landorus-T stay safe from Ice-type moves that it will often be the target of.

* Sitrus Berry helps increase Landorus-T's overall bulk, increasing the odds of making a Terrain-boosted Wood Hammer from -1 Rillaboom a 3HKO.

* Intimidate is helpful in mitigating the damage output of physical attackers like Rillaboom, Zeraora, and Zygarde.

* The given HP and Special Defense EVs allow Landorus-T to take a +1 Meteor Beam from Nihilego. 64 Special Attack EVs guarantee a 2HKO on Diancie with Earth Power.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be run to make Landorus-T a more offensive pivot, allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame with a Speed-boosting nature. Knock Off can function as both coverage and utility, being Landorus-T's best way to deal damage against Dragapult and Spectrier while and cripple Porygon2. Superpower can be used to provide Fighting-type coverage to hit Porygon2 and Kyurem-B, but this demands Attack investment to make it worthwhile. Several Rock-type coverage moves are available; Stone Edge is the most powerful and can 2HKO Zapdos, Rock Slide is particularly good at dealing damage to Volcarona while it's next to redirection and has the potential to pick up flinches, and Rock Tomb can provide speed control, though these moves are rather niche, being generally less effective than Toxic or Protect.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[KennyJ, 154787]]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [Memoric, 215000]]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

Last edited:
[Overview]
  • The first sentence should focus on how Landorus-T has Intimidate, Stealth Rock, and U-turn (or maybe just Intimidate + valuable utility moves) all in its arsenal, while also having solid stats and a nice typing. The beginning of the Overview should focus on what makes Landorus-T, Landorus-T, which "a solid defensive option that is appreciated on many teams" doesn't really do.
    • I believe we save explaining what abilities / moves do for Set Comments, so you can probably remove the line about Intimidate.
  • After your opening line, I would then mention how Landorus-T fits well on a lot of archetypes because its utility is always appreciated.
    • Here is where you can mention that Volcanion is a solid partner for it. I would also mention maybe Rillaboom and Metagross as additional examples. Landorus-T covers Fire-types while Rillaboom and Metagross beat bulky Water-types and Kyurem-B respectively.
  • When it comes to drawbacks, Intimidate not being as good as it has been in previous generations is good, Ice Coverage everywhere, and not applying much offensive pressure are all good points.
    • I would probably condense the Intimidate point and just say how there are multiple physical attackers that have ways around it.
    • You can reword the point about Ice Beam to something like how Landorus-T needs to worry about the multiple Pokemon that carry Ice Coverage. I would specifically mention its rough matchup against Kyurem-B and Tapu Fini.
      • Example: "Not only does Landorus-T have rough matchups against common Pokemon such as Kyurem-B and Tapu Fini, but it also needs to be wary of Ice coverage from Pokemon such as Genesect and Porygon2."
    • I would throw it how it faces competition from Zygarde as a team's Ground-type as well as the fact that it's easy to chip through pivoting in and out.
    • Order should probably be Kyurem-B / Tapu Fini / Ice Coverage > Passive / Easy to chip > Competition from Zygarde > Intimidate being not as good as previous generation. Last two could potentially flip flop.
[Set Details]
  • "Despite having much higher Attack than Special Attack, Earth Power is recommended over Earthquake as the Ground move due to the latter being weakened by Grassy Terrain and opposing Intimidate."
  • I would add how U-turn helps generate momentum.
  • You can mention specific targets Stealth Rock really helps chip, such as Kyurem-B. I would also say how Stealth Rock makes it harder for the opposing side to pivot constantly.
  • I would replace Quiver Dance Volcarona with something more relevant such as Dragon Dance Dragapult.
    • I don't think "generally bulky" is great description; I would replace it with "hard to take down foes" or something of that sort. I would also get straight to the point at the beginning i.e. "Toxic hits set-up Pokemon such as ..."
  • Go deeper on the Sitrus Berry line. You can say how it can turn 2HKOs into 3HKOs, such as Tapu Fini's Muddy Water.
    • 156 SpA Tapu Fini Muddy Water vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Landorus-Therian: 182-216 (47.6 - 56.5%) -- 82% chance to 2HKO
      • Technically Sitrus only triggers 3/4 of the time from full, but Landorus-T gets chipped enough that I think it's a good enough example.
  • The last three times should be combined into one.
    • Example: "The given EV Spread allows Landorus-T to tank a +1 Meteor Beam from Nihilego and KO it back with Earth Power, as well as outspeed Kartana at -1. The remaining EVs are dumped into Defense."
[Other Options]
  • Give examples as to what important items you can remove (Eviolite Porygon2, Assault Vest Kyurem-B, and Leftovers Tapu Fini all come to mind.)
  • I would reword the Rock Coverage line. Maybe mention how Stone Edge can 2HKO Zapdos, Rock Slide gets around redirection, and Rock Tomb offers Speed Control.
    • Example: "Landorus-T can run multiple forms of Rock Coverage to nail Volcarona, with Stone Edge doing significant damage to Zapdos, Rock Slide getting around any redirection, and Rock Tomb offering Speed Control. However, all three ..."
  • Mention why Knock Off and Rock Coverage is in OO in the first place, i.e. it usually serves less utility compared to its standard moves.
  • I would think about adding Defog as well as a Choice Scarf set, but thats probably up to QC. I feel more confident about the latter being viable.
  • I would personally remove Yache Berry since I don't think anyone actually uses that.

Last edited:
I've implemented most of the changes emma suggested. Now would be a good time for another opinion.

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
The desire to frequently switch Landorus in and out also makes it prone to taking chip damage. - Landorus' constant pivoting leads to taking chip or something? not sure if this even needs to be mentioned/is a weakness. pivoter soaking up damage isnt always bad

Offensively, Landorus struggles to do major damage to anything that isn't weak to Ground, but can pick up OHKOs on Heatran and Nihilego.
probably just Landorus does not contribute very much to offense

i would call the set bulky pivot or defensive pivot probably. (not sure exactly how naming conventions work though)

to drop Intimidates. - im sure theres a more formal way to put this. lol

diancie warrants a mention for toxic, probably

* The HP and SpD combination allows it to take a +1 Meteor Beam from Nihilego while the Spe investment puts it one point ahead of -1 Kartana. The rest is mainly dumped into defense. - this kind of implicates being paired with icy wind or electroweb, but there isnt any mention of that anywhere else.

grammar, but while and Rock Tomb can provide speed control

[OVERVIEW]
  • I don't really like "Defensive", I would use the word Pivot instead in the opening line.
  • Specifically say how Landorus-T works best on more balance / bulky offense structures instead of good all around (even though I told you to say that last time), and then get into specific partners like Volcanion. 2 months later, Landorus-T doesn't really work on all structures (i.e. Offense) and is not really a good Pokemon at all, but I suppose you would probably use it on Balance teams with Incineroar and Tapu Fini??
  • Quickly throw in "prone to taking chip damage and getting worn down easily."
  • Mention somewhere how Landorus-T faces competition from Zygarde as a team's Ground-type of choice.
[SET]
  • Name the set Defensive Pivot or just Pivot.
  • Throw in a line about how it's hard to set Stealth Rock in front of a lot of dangerous attackers such as Urshifu-R and Kartana.
  • Reword the Toxic line. Just say "Toxic hits set-up sweepers such as abc and hard-to-take-down foes such as xyz" Also change Quiver Dance Volcarona to Dragon Dance Zygarde as the example.
  • Mention how Intimidate weakens Zygarde and Rillaboom as examples.
  • Remove the Modes Nature line, and instead mention how 12 SpA EVs and a Modest Nature OHKOs Nihilego in the EV Spread line.
    • Example: "The given EV Spread and Modest Nature allows Landorus-T to tank a +1 Meteor Beam from Nihilego and KO it back with Earth Power, as well as outspeed Kartana at -1. The remaining EVs are dumped into Defense."
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Throw in a Choice Scarf set (as the first mention) that lets it act as a better offensive pivot (similar to how it was mainly used during XY).
  • Mention at the end about how all the Rock moves are more niche and less useful than Toxic or Protect.
  • Remove Yache Berry, that item is terrible.
Make sure it's always "Landorus-T" and not "Landorus" or "Landorus-Therian" throughout your analysis.

Let me know when implemented and I will check again before stamping.

[OVERVIEW]
  • I don't think "typing/stats" is correct in GP standards -- I would just do something like "Landorus-T functions well as a pivot thanks to its Intimidate ability, utility moves such as Stealth Rock and U-turn, as well as solid defensive typing and stats." Also I think we should specifically name Stealth Rock and U-turn as the moves.
  • Same with "—Kyurem-B and Tapu Fini—", I would just use commas to isolate the examples instead.
  • Make sure Kyurem-Black is Kyurem-B and Urshifu is Urshifu-R.
  • I would talk about Urshifu-R and Kartana getting around Intimidate before the Clear Body users for relevancy reasons. Also specify Dragon Dance Dragapult since the Choice Specs set doesn't run Clear Body and doesn't care about Intimidate to begin with.
[SET]
  • Expand on the Stealth Rock line. Something like it's tough to set up in the face of common strong attackers such as Urshifu-R and Kartana.
  • I would just say "if your team lacks Icy Wind support" since the only thing that's ever run Electroweb is Zeraora and it basically never runs it anymore.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Expand slightly on the Choice Scarf mention -- something like how it can outspeed the entire unboosted metagame and does more damage against common Fire-types such as Incineroar and Heatran.
I probably missed some things, but that's what QC 2 is for. Good work.

QC 1/2

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
check

remove kartana mentions

OV
  • I wouldn't say it has solid defensive typing when it literally doesn't beat anything through defensive typing except Zeraora lol. I think this opener is in the right direction, but I think you could do better justice to Landorus-T by specifically emphasizing that it's the package of Intim, Rocks, and not a Fire-type (and the ability to be better against select phys attackers because of this) which make Lando-T a good pick relative to Incin
  • On that note, you should definitely mention a comparison with Incin somewhere here as competition, especially.
  • "Intimidate has traditionally been one of the best abilities in doubles—reducing the attack stats of both opposing Pokemon—but the shape of the current metagame has diminished its value." from Set Comments should be here, albeit more condensed.
  • "The desire to frequently switch Landorus-T in and out also makes it prone to taking chip damage and getting worn down easily. " - this isn't really a Landorus-T con but moreso just how playing Pokemon works so remove this
SC
  • SR: the term "switch-ins" can mean Pokemon that switch in directly on Lando-T and not just Pokemon that switch in in general; we want to convey the latter so use more general wording. Also, name another SR target
  • " the earlier in the game it's used, the more effective it will be." is pretty self-explanatory so you can leave it out
  • Toxic: name one more example each for the things you can wear down
  • Sitrus: rewrite sentence into being more generally speaking instead of talking about just the hits you mentioned e.g. "...increase its overall bulk as the burst healing can increase the odds of strong hits such as...". Mention a better hit than Draga Phantom Force
  • Rewrite Intimidate entirely as what you wrote is either Overview material or is fluff. Just talk about what physical attackers it's handy for.
inform me upon implementation

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Overview
  • I'd like you to highlight Intimidate more, both positively and negatively. One thing that makes people really want to use Landorus-T (over Incin) is the better matchup against pretty much any variant of Zygarde as well as Zeraora, as it can Intim relatively safely against both. At the same time, explain further why Intimidate can be a bit lacking with concrete examples.
Credits
  • make sure to edit with my and Emma's IDs
2/2

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
blue = add
red = delete
green = comments

[OVERVIEW]

Landorus-T possesses the unique combination of Intimidate, Stealth Rock, and U-turn, which alongside with its bulk, make it a decent pivot. It fits best on balanced teams, with some of its best partners include Volcanion for its ability to switch into Water- and Ice-type attacks, Metagross for being one of the best checks to Kyurem-B, and Rillaboom for being being able to beat Water-types like Tapu Fini. There are, however, some notable drawbacks to Landorus-T. Two of the best Pokemon in the tier, Kyurem-B and Tapu Fini, are very unfavorable matchups for Landorus-T. In addition, it is also threatened by Pokemon that run Ice-type coverage such as Genesect and Porygon2. Intimidate is also a less notable selling point than it has traditionally been due to the state of the metagame, with Urshifu-R able to critical hit through any Attack drops using Surging Strikes while Diancie, Metagross,(AC) and Dragapult are able to ignore Intimidate completely due to Clear Body. Offensively, Landorus-T struggles to do major damage to anything that isn't weak to Ground, but can pick up OHKOs on Heatran and Nihilego. It also faces competition from Pokemon like Incineroar and Zygarde for a team slot; the former also having access to the Intimidate + pivot move combination while also having Fake Out and a better defensive typing (though Landorus-T does better than Incineroar against opposing Zygarde and Zeraora), while the latter is a fellow Ground-type but with much more offensive potential.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Despite having much higher Attack than Special Attack, Earth Power is recommended over Earthquake as the Ground move due to the latter being weakened by Grassy Terrain and opposing Intimidate.

* U-turn allows Landorus-T to pivot out, letting you better position yourself while allowing for future opportunities to drop Intimidates.

* Setting up Stealth Rock can chip away at opposing switch-ins, most notably Kyurem-B and Incineroar.

* Toxic is useful for wearing down setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Zygarde/Kyurem-B or tough-to-KO bulky foes like Porygon2 and Diancie. Protect can help Landorus stay safe from Ice-type moves that it will often be the target of.

* Sitrus Berry helps increase its overall bulk, increasing the odds of making a terrain-boosted Wood Hammer from -1 Rillaboom a 3HKO.

* Intimidate is helpful in mitigating the damage output of physical attackers like Rillaboom, Zeraora, and Zygarde.

* The HP and SpD combination allows it to take a +1 Meteor Beam from Nihilego. The SpA investment guarantees a 2HKO on Diancie with Earth Power.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be run to make Landorus-T a more offensive pivot, allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame (with a speed boosting nature)(remove the brackets), doing more damage to Pokemon like Incineroar and Zeraora. Knock Off can function as both coverage and utility, being Landorus-T's best way to deal damage against Dragapult and Spectrier while the item removal is particularly good at crippling Porygon2. Superpower can be used to provide Fighting-type coverage to hit Porygon2 and Kyurem-B, but this demands physical Attack investment to make it worthwhile. Several Rock-type coverage moves are available; Stone Edge is the most powerful and can 2HKO Zapdos, Rock Slide is particularly good at dealing damage to Volcarona while it's next to redirection and has the potential to pick up flinches, while Rock Tomb can provide speed control, though these moves are rather niche,(AC) being generally less effective than Toxic or Protect.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
good job! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (AH) = Add Hyphen
Only put official GPers in the credits, amcheckers don't go in credits.

GP 1/1

Yoimiya_Stamp.gif

[OVERVIEW]

Landorus-T possesses the unique combination of Intimidate, Stealth Rock, and U-turn, which, (AC) alongside its bulk, make it a decent pivot. It fits best on balanced balance teams, with some of its best partners include including Volcanion for its ability to switch into Water- and Ice-type attacks, Metagross for being one of the best checks to Kyurem-B, and Rillaboom for being being able to beat Water-types like Tapu Fini. There are, however, some notable drawbacks to Landorus-T. Two of the best Pokemon in the tier, Kyurem-B and Tapu Fini, are very unfavorable matchups for Landorus-T. In addition, it is also threatened by Pokemon that run Ice-type coverage such as Genesect and Porygon2. Intimidate is also a less notable selling point than it has traditionally been due to the state of the metagame, with Urshifu-R able to land critical hit hits through any Attack drops using Surging Strikes while and Diancie, Metagross, (AC) and Dragapult are able to ignore Intimidate completely due to Clear Body. Offensively, Landorus-T struggles to do major damage to anything that isn't weak to Ground, but it can pick up OHKOs on Heatran and Nihilego. It also faces competition from Pokemon like Incineroar and Zygarde for a team slot teamslot; the former also having has access to the Intimidate + pivot move combination while also having Fake Out and a better defensive typing, (AC) (though Landorus-T does better than Incineroar against opposing Zygarde and Zeraora), while the latter is a fellow Ground-type but with has much more offensive potential. (Remove parenthesis, keep commas)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Despite having much higher Attack than Special Attack, Earth Power is recommended over Earthquake as the Ground move due to the latter being weakened by Grassy Terrain and opposing Intimidate.

* U-turn allows Landorus-T to pivot out, letting you better position yourself while allowing for future opportunities to drop Intimidates switch back in and threaten the foe with Intimidate.

* Toxic is useful for wearing down setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Zygarde/Kyurem-B Zygarde and Dragon Dance Kyurem-B or bulky foes like Porygon2 and Diancie. Protect can help Landorus Landorus-T stay safe from Ice-type moves that it will often be the target of.

* Sitrus Berry helps increase its Landorus-T's overall bulk, increasing the odds of making a Terrain-boosted (Capitalize) Wood Hammer from -1 Rillaboom a 3HKO.

* The given HP and SpD combination allow it Special Defense EVs allow Landorus-T to take a +1 Meteor Beam from Nihilego. The SpA investment guarantees 64 Special Attack EVs guarantee a 2HKO on Diancie with Earth Power.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be run to make Landorus-T a more offensive pivot, allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame with a Speed-(AH)boosting nature. Knock Off can function as both coverage and utility, being Landorus-T's best way to deal damage against Dragapult and Spectrier while the item removal is particularly good at crippling and cripple Porygon2. Superpower can be used to provide Fighting-type coverage to hit Porygon2 and Kyurem-B, but this demands physical Attack investment to make it worthwhile. Several Rock-type coverage moves are available; Stone Edge is the most powerful and can 2HKO Zapdos, Rock Slide is particularly good at dealing damage to Volcarona while it's next to redirection and has the potential to pick up flinches, while and Rock Tomb can provide speed control, though these moves are rather niche, being generally less effective than Toxic or Protect.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

I've implemented the GP check, but I feel like the analysis could use a mention of how Landorus-T is generally inferior to Landorus-I. Also maybe worth mentioning Choice Band with Explosion in OO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)