XY OU Latios's Gambit

So when I was building this team, I was originally going to make a team around Victini for viability ranking testing. Then looking at one of the ideas I had for the team going around Latios & another member of the team (I'll explain later), I saw that the idea had the potential to be DISGUSTING. I've had a few games with the team and I've liked the results of it. I'd like to use this team a bit more so suggestions would be great. Before the preview, I'd like to give credit to AM145 for a few suggestions for the initial thought of the team.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Memento

Here's the star of the show. Latios serves as the team's Defogger and has a nice little extra niche to it. Max speed & special attack to hit opponents fast and hard with its base 130 SpA & 110 speed. Draco Meteor is Latios' main STAB for inflicting severe damage onto the opponent's side of the field. Psyshock blasts poison types such as Mega Venusaur & Gengar while hitting special walls on their physical side. Defog is on the set to get rid of hazards on the field (as per the Latios standard). Memento is the surprise on this set. While sacrificing Latios, my opponent's Pokemon has their attacking stats lowered by 2 stages and gives my sweepers a chance to set up and wreck some stuff.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge

Here's one of the two sweepers that Latios sets up for. 252 special attack is used to have Draco Meteor used to maximum potential denting physical walls that expect a physical attack of some sort. The Naughty nature is there to have Garchomp's Earthquake and Stone Edge attacks hit for heavy damage despite low investment (but Mega Garchomp has a sky high base 170 attack to make up for the low investment). The trick to this set is setting up a Substitute. After Latios gets off a Memento, Garchomp is open to set up a Substitute on the switch and smash some stuff with its attacks.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Here's the second of the sweepers. After Latios sacrifices itself with Memento and threats like Mega Venusaur & Amoonguss are off the field, Azumarill can set up a Belly Drum and proceed to destroy stuff. The speed investment is to outpace base 70 speed Pokemon while the Adamant nature with max attack has it hit as hard as possible. The 92 HP is there for the extra bulk. Waterfall and Play Rough are Azumarill's harder hitting attacks used for dismantling Pokemon that could still tank Azumarill's Aqua Jet such as Scizor or Mega Gyarados. Aqua Jet is Azumarill's primary STAB creating the BellyJet combo that ruins a heavy portion of the metagame.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is the team's scarfer & bane to steel types bar Heatran. I opted to run max speed with a Timid nature to give it as much speed as possible while outpacing non-scarf Keldeo. Thunderbolt is Magnezone's main STAB move that deals heavy damage to water types like Gyarados. Flash Cannon helps me deal with fairies such as Clefable. Volt Switch is on the set to gain switch initiative. Lastly, HP Fire is there to ruin the day of steel types like Ferrothorn & Mega Scizor.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

The special wall of the team. I also needed something to handle some fairies & steel types in case I lose Magnezone and I do like the utility of specially defensive Heatran so I put it on the team. 248 HP is there to minimize entry hazard damage while coupled with the 252 SpD EVs, Heatran sponges the special hits it needs to. Stealth Rocks are a nice staple on Heatran hindering anything that wants to switch in. Toxic and Protect help Heatran stall out some HP for some needed KOs. I can also use Protect to scout out what my opponent wants to do on his/her next move. Lastly, Lava Plume is Heatran's main form of STAB that gives a nice 30% burn chance which can prove to be VERY useful.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

AM145 said I needed something to handle Kyurem-B so I thought physically defensive Clefable would do the job best. Unaware is being used on this set in case of a few set up sweepers that could ruin my day. Heal Bell cures status on the team if needed. Moonblast is Clefable's main form of STAB denting Dragon types, and fighting types while giving a 30% chance to lower the opposing Pokemon's special attack stat by 1 level. Wish can help either heal Clefable or a teammate while Protect guarantees Clefable getting healed or (as with Heatran) I can scout for my opponent's moves.

Out of my time using this team, I have enjoyed ruining some cores with this team and catching some people off guard with Memento Latios, but I think this team can be a bit better. I'm open to any suggestions to make this team operate at maximum potential.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Memento

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Stone Edge

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Hey there, cool team ^^

Locking at the team and how it works, I could really see mega zard x being used over chomp. Latios can give it the opportunity to setup a dd for free, allowing it to easely break a giant hole in the opponents team, then allowing azu to clean up with aqua jet later, or visa versa ^^ with your team, I even think you can afford running EQ on zard, allowing it to break heatran, TTar etc. but the roost set will also work fine.

image.jpg

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Or

image.jpg

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Additionally I think you could optimize the clefable by running a cm veriant, we can keep unaware for setup sweepers, by running moonlight + cm > wish + protect. You will lose the ability to heal mates, but on the other hand you can sweep yourself, and with roost zard, you have one less pokemon that is easily worn down ^^

I hope it helped, cheers! ^^

Hello bro.
I suggest Pinsir instead of Garchomp because it has more synergy with Magnezone and is able to sweep when you don't have Azumarill.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie / Hyper Cutter / Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Why Frustration over Return? Simply because most of Dittos have 255 happiness. So if ditto copy your pinsir he will have 1 in his frustration base power.

I agree with WideTomato on running moonlight and calm mind over wish and protect.

Last edited:
Ha, I made a team like this a few days ago! It's a great strategy. However, I used Greninja, Landorus-T, and Mega Scizor over Garchomp-M, Heatran, and Clefable. Volt-Turn vs. Bulky Offense.

Anyway, you seem to have the same trouble I do with Kyurem-B, even with the addition of Clefable. Depending on the variant, it gets a kill pretty every time it switches in and all you can do is revenge kill it. However, Magnezone and Latios can't revenge kill Substitute variants (And are forced to use moves that are very easy to take advantage of should the Ice Dragon choose to switch out, with Flash Cannon being easily resisted and Draco Meteor forcing a SpAtk drop), while Clefable gets 2HKOd by Life Orb and is unable to OHKO back. You can't even Memento it efficiently, because it can 2HKO Azumarill and OHKO Garchomp after Stealth Rocks even at -2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)