Gen 5 lazy title but im back gang

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi everyone. I'm on break this week but I'm at home alone with nothing to do and none of my friends are home because everyone has break next week, so enjoy this team I made.

So I don't really play a lot anymore, but occasionally I'll log on and play a few games of BW so this is the team I've been using.

The Team

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

I started with CB Tyranitar honestly because my man hits like a fucking truck. It's really nice to get in off of a Volt Switch or U-turn from Rotom-W or Celebi because it can do upwards of 40% on pretty much everything in the metagame. There's not really a lot to say about Tyranitar because it speaks for itself. Stone Edge and Crunch are the obvious STAB moves, Pursuit makes life easier for Keldeo, and Superpower nails Steel- and Fighting-types for a lot of damage if they try to switch in, but to be honest they're taking a lot from Stone Edge anyway. I suppose you can run Aqua Tail instead to hit stuff like Hippowdon and Landorus-T, but I have Latios / Celebi / Keldeo anyway so they're not exactly coming in easily.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Icy Wind

Expert Belt Keldeo is one of my favorite Pokemon to use ever because it's such a fun wallbreaker / lure. The moves are pretty standard and it can take out a lot of Pokemon that are threats to Tyranitar / Latios such as Celebi, Heatran, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and other Latios. Icy Wind is also super fun because on a few occasions I've had people click X as soon as they realize that I'm faster than their Latios.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

The last wallbreaker on this team, Specs Latios doesn't really need any introduction as an absolute fucking monster. Again, bog standard set because it's effective in what it does. Draco Meteor hits everything hard, Psyshock offers a bit of coverage I guess but is mostly for stuff like Blissey / Chansey as well as Keldeo, as it will only force you to switch out against Dark-types, but in that case Latios is kinda screwed anyway. I prefer Trick over HP Fire on this set because I really hate the forced 30 Speed IV as it can cause you to lose what would otherwise be a 50/50 Speed tie, but you can use it if you really hate Ferrothorn and Jirachi, though I suppose the rest of the team handles them well enough.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Stealth Rock

I opted for the more offensive variant of Heatran here because I wanted to keep up offensive pressure the set, again, is standard (it's a theme here), but I opted for HP Grass because a Gastrodon once was really pissing me off so I made it HP Grass, though it screws with Starmie too. I also opted for Air Balloon here because Leftovers didn't seem important because stuff that Leftovers help with like Scizor don't exactly get a lot of chances to come in (only Pokemon Scizor comes in "safely" against here is Celebi, which has Thunder Wave anyway).

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

I don't really remember exactly why I added Celebi here, but its a great specially defensive pivot that gives some breathing room against a whole bunch of Pokemon and gives me a plan against Water-types other than "click meteor." I have U-turn here instead of Baton Pass because Tyranitar isn't really coming in easily against this team anyway and I have Thunder Wave here because this team isn't really fast outside of Latios and Keldeo (neither of which are Scarf) so Thunder Wave can offer a bit of breathing room against faster threats. Actually it's probably pretty necessary to beating a lot of faster threats.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 244 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last Pokemon here is Rotom-W, which does a good chunk of stuff for the team. It's a pretty nice pivot with Volt Switch and is a great check to Ground-types that can be annoying for Tyranitar and Heatran. Will-O-Wisp is here because Rotom-W is my best check to a lot of physical attackers and it is super nice against bulkier teams because sand + WoW will wear stuff down real fast. The EV spread is weird here and I don't remember exactly what hit it survives, but I remember it was something about a Garchomp Outrage because I ran into it once and it was a problem. That's also why HP Ice is here.

Threats

Fast Stuff - Fast Pokemon like Alakazam, Starmie, and Choice Scarf Garchomp (to a lesser degree) can be really annoying to face as this team as a whole is kind of slow. The best move is to just try to play around Alakazam and Starmie the best you can and hope for the best, as they all carry coverage for Latios / Celebi / Heatran and can hit too hard for Rotom-W to soak up hits. If you run into a Substitute + LO Alakazam, just click X unless you managed to land a Thunder Wave on it first or manage to U-turn on a Substitute and hope it doesn't land a Focus Blast against Tyranitar or Heatran.

Reuniclus - As I'm writing this, I realize that if Tyranitar is dead then Reuniclus can win without a lot of trouble.

Hazards - This team is pretty aggressive and a lot of hazard setters won't get a lot of chances to come in / set up a lot of hazards, but this team has no spinner so it can be a problem if it does happen for whatever reason.

Conclusions
So yeah this is my team and it's done well enough in the games I've played so far, where most losses are due to me being stupid rather than mistakes in the teambuilder. If there's any changes I'm really considering, it would be swapping the HPs on Heatran and Rotom-W to make them better checks to Dragon- and Water-types, respectively and changing WoW on Rotom-W to Thunder Wave to check faster threats a bit better. The biggest change I am considering is going with a Chople Berry set on Tyranitar, because Alakazam is a real big fucking problem if it has a Substitute up, and will give me at least a 51% chance to not lose to it automatically. This would also free up space for Heatran to run something like Taunt to help against Reuniclus I guess.

Anyway, if you've suffered through my ramblings for this long props to you I hope you all have a great day.

Hi, my English can be bad, but I want to make myself understood the best possible.
The team itself does not seem very good at all, it has several failures.
You are very weak to dragmags and especially to zam or exca mold, as you say in your post because you don't have tyra chople.
The only thing that can more or less stop zam in a good position is celebi, but not in the best way, in general zam is seen in sand teams, so tyra + zam can be a problem for you if you don't know how to handle it .
I am not going to tell you that x mons you must change because I suppose that the team is more than everything funny and it is already in your decision
But if some evs / move sets.
Band tyra in bw 2020 is very pussy, especially because apart from being stuck in x move, mons as a defensive lando or skar does not tickle them, and they have free rocks to put.
Another point is the fact that you do not have a spinner, and you only limit yourself to placing rocks, in the meta from my point of view the hazards are the most important thing, since there is no defog and that only 3 pokemon (starmie, exca and tenta), be the only viable ones.
You could put chople as you say, use the evs support. In your team, since you already have a fire type such as tran vs ferro, I recommend adding eq, crunch, pursuit and ice beam for ground types.
It already calculates the evs that you should put, because it depends a lot on what you want it to last and what you need in the team.
The evs from latios, celebi and tran are fine, as is the one from kelde.
I suppose that you use the hp bug vs starmie or the psyquic types, but I do not see it as necessary, it seems to me very bad that your only water move is hydro, which has probabilities of missear, in this case being an expert metele surf or scald x hp bug, I don't see the truth in it.
The icy wind is good to control the speed type of certain mons, but to give it more power, this hp ice is better.
Already to finish the rotom, I see it very x carry hp ice when you put those evs,
if your problem is chomp, this thing hold 1 outrage
unless it's bosted), too much defense the truth when having your wow, put pain x hp ice and you have to recover life vs ferro or other physical attacks that are burned.
Put a nature in it that spd up so that it can hold up to Latios specs or a possible zam energi enough so that when you throw pain it doesn't kill you for 2hkos.

Chomp itself is not so threatening if you have that move set, my recommendation is that it be +216 in hp, that it stay between 88 or 96 in def, 32 or 40 in speed and important 176 in spd with natu faborable to hold a Draco meteor of Latios with full life.
You could do many things with this base, but that as I said at the beginning you already decide, if you need something, let me know (:.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hi Ununhexium, this team has some cool sets and underlying ideas, but collectively it can definitely use some improvements.

The first issue I notice is that the team has a major Spikes weakness; you have 3 Pokemon who take damage from Spikes (4 once the Balloon is broken on Heatran, which is actually worse against Spikes than Leftovers due to the lack of recovery), but yet Celebi, Rotom-Wash, and Latios all allow for Spikes to come up no matter what and Tyranitar locked into the wrong move is prime opportunity for Spikes to go up as well. For a team that does not play as hyper offense in a tier like BW, having this type of Spike vulnerability without much built-in longevity or many lures is great cause for concern. I would personally recommend using Excadrill over Heatran to help cover the Spikes vulnerability with Rapid Spin and also give you a Ground type, which most teams appreciate having in order to slow opposing momentum.

From here, I would strongly recommend changing Celebi to more appropriate set for the team; Thunder Wave is able to help mitigate your team's insufficient speed control, which we will touch on more later, but it makes Celebi very passive and it does not support your Special Attackers who are already fast considering Celebi will never be encountering the faster checks to them. Moreover, U-turn is much worse than Baton Pass on Celebi as this leaves it vulnerable to Pursuit from Tyranitar, which is already capable of trapping Latios as is. Because of this, I would advise changing your Celebi to a Nasty Plot + Baton Pass variant, which also supports Latios and Keldeo very well. This is really the only viable Celebi set in the current metagame as pure support sets like your current one do not offer enough utility and progress to justify using it despite it being very passive against Spikers, so weak to U-turn, and generally incapable of doing damage directly.

At this point, there are only minor set changes that are required in order for the team to be functional. With your current structure, you are quite weak to Calm Mind Reuniclus and any Nasty Plot Thundurus-Therian. Sand teams tend to rely on Tyranitar to check these Pokemon and also give you a better shot against Alakazam, which is also an issue with Spikes up or if it has Signal Beam. Because of this, I would strongly recommend making your Tyranitar Chople Berry with Stealth Rock. Choice Band Tyranitar borders on impossible to use with consistency in the current metagame as it loses almost all defensive value, which your team and most other teams desperately need.

Finally, there are some other small set edits that would help the team cover common match-ups it currently struggles in. The first would be making Latios Choice Scarf; you lack speed control currently and Scarf Latios is helped a ton by Nasty Plot + Baton Pass Celebi, too. This helps a lot with covering Latios, Starmie, Scarf Garchomp, and Alakazam, which you all note as issues later in your post as well. It also means you can RK +1 Volcarona, which is an issue to you currently as you lack Leftovers on Heatran and is an even bigger issue with Excadrill over it. While Volcarona is very uncommon right now, it is nice to have something to revenge kill it or cripple it with Trick on a predicted Quiver Dance. Another edit would be making Rotom-Wash Pain Split over Hidden Power Ice. You really do not need Hidden Power Ice, especially with Latios + Keldeo in the back. Pain Split is needed for you not to be solely reliant on Celebi in the rain match-up and it also makes Tornadus and Gliscor less problematic; Gliscor can Roost off Hidden Power Ice and eventually chip you on the switch repeatedly, making Pain Split better vs it to begin with. Scarf Latios also revenge kills various HP Ice targets, which is helpful. The last change would be to making Keldeo HP Flying over HP Bug; Celebi is barely ever used in the tier currently and HP Bug has not been used once on Keldeo in about 5 years at this point. However, Poison Heal Breloom is one of the most common Pokemon in the tier currently and it is very good against your team besides from Celebi, which is going to be forced in repeatedly and taken advantage of as it stands. You can also opt to go with Leftovers over Expert Belt because using non-Leftovers on Sand is not ideal due to chip wracking up, but this is more a choice of personal preference than definitive right or wrong.

tl;dr:

:Heatran: -> :Excadrill
:Celebi: from utility to Nasty Plot + Baton Pass
:Tyranitar: from Choice Band to Chople Berry Stealth Rock
:Latios: from Choice Specs to Choice Scarf
:Rotom-Wash: from Hidden Power Ice to Pain Split
:Keldeo: from Hidden Power Flying to Hidden Power Bug

This allows for you to keep a very similar structure and 5/6 Pokemon, but be much more consistent against the common structures in the metagame and make the most of the synergy this group of Pokemon has.

Import with proposed edits

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Finchinator thanks for the rate! I’ve been tryna get back into the competitive game recently because of quarantine so I used a lot of sets I remember being solid back in the day. For example, I 100% forgot that exca was allowed when I build this team.

The change to Chople TTar was one I was already considering, so thanks for ensuring that it’s the right move. All of the other changes look really good, but I am kinda curious about using Leftovers on 4 attacks Keldeo because I feel like it would be really weak. Does this become a problem a lot or does the chip from sand tend to make that a non issue? I’ll definitely be sure to use HP Flying though

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Finchinator thanks for the rate! I’ve been tryna get back into the competitive game recently because of quarantine so I used a lot of sets I remember being solid back in the day. For example, I 100% forgot that exca was allowed when I build this team.

The change to Chople TTar was one I was already considering, so thanks for ensuring that it’s the right move. All of the other changes look really good, but I am kinda curious about using Leftovers on 4 attacks Keldeo because I feel like it would be really weak. Does this become a problem a lot or does the chip from sand tend to make that a non issue? I’ll definitely be sure to use HP Flying though
You can keep Expert Belt, but Icy Wind is still doing enough to the 4x (besides SDef Gliscor) and Hidden Power Flying is still killing Breloom. Taking Sand repeatedly is rough because a lot of balanced teams run Protect on Excadrill, Heatran, Gliscor, etc. and those are Pokemon you oftentimes encounter with Keldeo, which means you may take 6% from rocks then 6% the first tuen then 6% with Sand on Protect and then 6% the next turn as they switch to a potential check without Leftovers, which does not justify the gained damage output in my experience. It can go either way though -- really a matter of personal preference. EBelt Keldeo was really "in" 4-5 years ago, but now it is never really seen anymore due to this metagame shift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)