LC Fun! - Mystery Egg Trade & Battle Event

So I just ran this event on another forum that I participate in and it was a lot of fun. I know its not truly "competitive," but apart from being fun to do, it actually helps players come up with new and creative movesets and learn pogeys they might otherwise overlook in the Little Cup setting. Here's how it works:

Event Rules
1. Each participant breeds three different pokémon to get three eggs. They do not hatch the eggs. Make sure these pokémon are LC legal (we went with LC Ubers tiering).

2. When the event starts, players meet in some kind of chat room (AIM, Skype, IRC, etc) and trading partners are randomly assigned by the moderator. Each player will participate in a minimum of three trades, making sure to get rid of all their original three eggs. If you want to really randomize things, participate in 1-3 further trades, allowing trade partners to randomly pick from the three new eggs a player has collected.

3. Everyone then gets 30-45 min to hatch, train and prepare their mystery pokémon for battle. Only these three pogeys are allowed on your team.

4. You then do some kind of tournament with the hatched mystery egg pogeys. We did a single-elimination 3v3 singles battle, but next time we're planning to do a triple battle format.

5. Standard Little Cup rules apply, although you can adjust the format as you see fit. We played our first event with item clause on to encourage players to be more creative than slapping an Oran Berry on three pogeys and rolling with it. We did ban Magikarp, because we wanted players to actually be able to USE the pogeys they got.

Goals
The goal here is to have fun, be creative with our pokémon training, learn a little more about Little Cup and get a chance to use some possibly UU/NU LC pogeys or ones we might usually ignore. We encouraged our players to HAVE FUN with the breeding process and not worry too much about winning the tournament until they actually hatched their own pokemon. So we suggested they breed their favorites, something from their favorite type or something they think most people wouldn't usually use. We also STRONGLY encouraged nicknames on the hatched pokémon for the lulz.

Our crew had a lot of fun with it. Apart from the tournament, we also voted on some special awards such as "Best Breeder" and "Best Pokémon." I think next time we'll add a few more awards too, depending on how things go.

I'm curious if Smogon LC players would be interested in an event like this. I know it can be a hassle to play on WiFi rather than PO, but it really is a lot of fun, builds community and might just open up the doors for creative new movesets in LC. Thoughts?

I think this actually sounds like a lot of fun. I would be willing to do this if someone set up a date/time etc. The forums may not be the best place to plan and carry this out though -- perhaps someone should set up a social group and invite people? Idk, at the same time it would be nice to see some more activity in this subforum. I guess it's up to Vader and the other mods...

Isn't there a small problem that if you want to win, you should be giving people eggs of the worst pokemon you can think of? I mean, ComMons like Pidgey and Pidove, since shit like Beldum and Magikarp is banned?

It's cool that anyone can participate, since there's no ivs or anything like that for non-hardcore wifiers. Like me.

I think you are missing the spirit of the event Darkamber. It's not just about giving people bad pokémon and hoping you win the tournament. It's about being creative with less-than-perfect or unusual tools at your disposal. Yes, some people will intentionally give out bad pogeys because they think its funny or because they want to win and others will give out really well-bred pogeys with nice egg moves, but how you handle the eggs you hatch will determine the outcome, not just what eggs you get.

So yeah, its kinda your goal to "win" in the end, but the wider-reaching goal is to have fun with fellow community members and get other people to use pogeys you think are cool/fun/interesting/underused. So if you just breed crummy pogeys and hope for a tournament win, you are kinda being a lousy member of the community and making the whole event less fun. Now, if you breed a usually bad pokémon but give it some interesting egg moves, you might inspire someone to do something creative and fun with it.

I guess if the event only starts for you when the tournament starts, then you just shouldn't participate. You've got to embrace the whole process and take pride in the pokémon you breed being successful as much (or more than) winning the tournament. Otherwise there is no point in joining.

That does sound fun! I assume fifth gen would be used, to allow the unlimited TM reuses? I haven't completed the game yet, so I don't have much good breeding stock trasnferred over...

Ok... I got a lot of requests to host another mystery egg event so here's the announcement thread at Smashboards: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300478

It's going to be Friday night (April 1) at 9PM EST. You can sign up here if you want, rather than make an account there. I'll combine the lists on Friday evening and we'll all meet in the same AIM chatroom. Get breeding and good luck.

This is a cool idea, my eggs wont have the best IVs or Egg moves (unless I get alot of work done really fast) but they are LC contenders I feel are often overlooked. This is an exciting event that I'm going to hassle people to join

LATE! wow I feel retarded

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)