[LC] huge sticky powa (#1 on showdown)

An (hyper) offensive team built around huge power users and sticky web.The thing I love of this team is that every pokèmon bar surskit can work by himself with almost no support,killing as much enemies as possible before he dies.At first glance,my six mons all togheter look like this

How I build this team

First,I started thinking about a sticky web team,and choosed surskit a web setter,because he's faster than spinarak,reaching 17 speed with timid.

Then,my next idea was to abuse huge power,and so I decided to put both bunnelby and meditite on my team,in order to use one of them for wallbreaking,and the other one for late game cleaning.

The fourth pokèmon I chose was defensive gligar,which is a fantastic mon because he can easily wall physical attackers (and some special ones sometimes) and taunt opponent's walls\annoyers

The last 2 mons were originally gastly and helioptile,gastly was a spinblocker capable of working even if opponent sets up sticky web,and scarf dry skin helioptile was a good rain dance surskit's team made.

But they were to frail,so I replaced gastly with honedge,who has better resistances and priority,alongside a speed that isn't so bad with web support.Then,I chose murkrow for the last spot,'cause he can trap ghosts,expecially gastly,and he adds more sheer power to my team.

with,these 6 mons,after some movepool\items adjustements,I started laddering with a new account on showdown,and I reached #1 position scoring 20\2 (ACRE 2030)

THE TEAM

Meditite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Pure Power
Level: 5
EVs: 252 Atk / 196 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

ROLE:LEAD\WALLBREAKER\CLEANER

The thing that meditite can do better is spamming powerful high jump kicks that 0HKO everything that doesn't resist them,ice punch is necessary to kill defensive (slow) gligar,who walls bunnelby,bullet punch is a useful priority move,expecially if sticky web isn't up for some reasons.With fake out,meditite is the perfect lead against sturdy stealth rock setters,preventing hazards to be set up. If the opponent hasn't anyone of them,I usually lead with surskit.Berry Juice grants him a little longevity,and a chance of surviving with good health after a kick miss.

Gligar (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Def / 76 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Taunt

ROLE:WALL\STALLBREAKER

Gligar is the only defensive pokèmon of my team.Usually,I switch him in when one of my pokèmon is walled,or checked by some flying type.Most physical flying mons are toxic stalled,with taunt preventing recovery.Archen and choice band murkrow are only checked by gligar,'cause they do a little more than 50% damage,but they have to use recoil moves that kill 'em before he dies.Walls are toxic stalled too,and steel and posion types bar bronzor are hit supereffectively by STAB eartquake,with taunt preventing them to set up.Sadly that set can't touch gastly and bronzor,and surprise ice moves can kill gligar easily,but hey,nobody is perfect!

Bunnelby @ Focus Sash
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 60 HP / 228 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Return
- Stone Edge

ROLE:CLEANER\SWEEPER\LAST RESORT

Bunnelby is not as good as meditite IMHO,but he can still get some easy 0HKOS,and he can 2HKO every notable pokèmon of the tier bar bronzor,duskull and physically defensive gliscor.Thanks to focus sash,he can take a hit during his sweept,or act as an emergency set to dangerous pokèmons,expecially if they have just managed to set up

Honedge @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 100 HP / 212 Spd / 196 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head

Honedge is here not only for spinblocking,'cause he's also a good setup sweeper,with perfect coverage,priority,and a decent speed with web support.He's not as strong as bunnelby,meditite and murkrow,but he can take hits with eviolite,expecially on the physical side,and switch in on resisted moves and immunities

Surskit @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Haze
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam

Surskit is really good at setting sticky web thanks to his speed,and he can do some damage with is stabs.Haze is a filler that can have some usefulness if someone tries to set up on him.
Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Murkrow hits hard,and covers some of the weaknesses of his team mates.He can pursuit trap gastly and beat bronzor and ghosts.I'm thinkin' about using crunch instead of roost,in order to have a reliable dark STAB.

THREATS

Yanma is a threat,'cause only honedge has a good chance to stop it,if it lacks HP fire.Teammates,however,can handle it,at an high price,with priority or sacrificing bunnelby if possible.
Ice beam duskull is rare,but it makes problems,even if he can be killed by honedge and murkrow.Every threat can be killed by this team,at the cost of sacrificing 1,rarely 2,of my pokèmons.But,if you wanna win,you have to choose correctly the ones to save,according to the opponent's team.KICK MISSES ARE ALSO REALLY ANNOYING.

CONCLUSION

Huge Sticky Powa is a funny team to use,because all battles are short and fast paced,and all the pokèmon are really good (they're all at least A rank IMHO),so you can use many strategies,thinking a different battle plan every time.It's not the most synergetic or original team,but it wins,if used well.Anyways,it's not perfect,and I think I need some suggestions to make it better :)

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, cool Sticky Web team!

This team is pretty cool- although Sticky Web sounds and is great, it's not easy to find solid teams like this. However, as you said, nothing is perfect. I'm noticing that this team is really weak to physical walls, Flying-types, and bulky attackers in general. Your entire team is physically based, leaving you walled by common physical walls such as Hippopotas or your own Gligar. Offensive Flying-types such as Yanma or Gligar can also heavily damage this team, especially since you have nothing that resists Flying / Ground coverage that both usually run (Yanma likes HP Ground.) Flying-types also don't mind Sticky Web and can easily OHKO Surskit and Meditite. This will require some small changes to your offensive team structure, as you need to be able to cover those threats with greater ease.

There is a quick and simple fix to this problem. Murkrow, whom you already have listed as an LO physical attacker, can easily spice up its moveset with some Special Attacks to help you muscle past physical walls. Here's a set:

Murkrow @ Life Orb
240 Atk / 80 SpA / 188 Spe
Naive / Insomnia
~Brave Bird
~Sucker Punch
~Icy Wind
~Heat Wave

Your current Murkrow is heavily focused on beating Gastly and other Ghosts with Pursuit, but that is not something this set cannot do. Sucker Punch hits them just as hard as pursuit on the switch, and can even help you avoid speed ties and correctly KO Gastly. The main difference is Heatwave / Icy Wind over Roost / Pursuit. Icy Wind is extremely vital. Though weak, it is the perfect silver bullet for bulky walls, Flying types, and Ground types. It OHKOs Gligar, 2HKOs Hippopotas, and 2HKO's Yanma, lowering its speed and giving you another chance at winning the speed tie. Heatwave hits Steels super hard. No more Roost also means that you can run Insomnia and reliably counter Foongus / Yanma / Tangela, all of which often carry sleep inducing moves. The EVs max speed and attack and puts the rest into SpA. MixKrow by itself solves a lot of the offensive problems on the team.

Hazards too will definitely annoy this team. Bunnelby's and Surskit's Sashes will be broken, and Murkrow will be forced to take 1/4 of its HP every time it switches in. To fix this, I would simply recommend Defog on Gligar over Taunt. While Taunt may seem necessary to prevent support moves and hazards, Defog gives you a surefire way to get rid of hazards if they are set, which is extremely important to the success of the team. It does also erase your Sticky Web but you can just reset it.

Another thing I'd recommend just for the sake of efficiency is for you to run Rain Dance over Haze on Surskit (you can keep the Sash if you want.) Rain Dance does a whole lot of beneficial things for your team that Haze doesn't. First and foremost, Rain Dance lets you control field effects, and when coupled with Focus Sash, gives you an almost surefire counter to Sun teams, letting you stop Tangela right in its tracks. Rain also benefits your own team, letting Surskit take use of its awesome ability, Swift Swim, and use super fast, rain boosted Hydro Pumps to serve as another cleaner later on. Haze is relatively unnecessary as your team isn't weak to setup sweepers anyway (5 priority moves, 2 sashmons; you're definitely ready enough)

Also, if Hi Jump Kick's miss rate really annoys you, you can always try Drain Punch + Life Orb instead of HJK+BerryJuice. Drain Punch doesn't hit nearly as hard but can still get the job done, especially against the Eviolite-less meta. Life Orb also has the addrd benefit of letting you beat Swirlix in one swift Fake Out+Bullet Punch, without activating their Berry Juices and preventing them from attacking you first. Still, HJK is a powerful, destructive move that works absurdly well with Sticky Web support, so this change is up to you.

That's all I've got to say. Good luck, and nice team!

EDIT @ below, ah I thought this was Pokebank. I'm pretty sure Immunity Gligar is only legal in Pokebank though idk

Last edited:
Thanks :)) sadly gligar can't learn defog on non-pokèbank LC (and,in addiction,I need my sticky web up),but I think I'll accept your murkrow suggestion (I'm using it right now with your EVS spread and dark pulse instead of roost,but I'think I'll replace it with another special move,probablly icy wind,I can't change pursuit because I need to REMOVE gastly,not only to force him out:it beats 4 of my pokèmon 1V1 with sub disable).I used rain dance surskit but it wasn't so succesful,maybe because I've never faced serious weather teams.Sadly,haze is pretty unuseful in most situations,so maybe I'll switch back to it.I'm thinking about meditite,cause beating full health swirlix is a GOOD thing,but kick's power is good for its 0HKO capability,so I don't know if replacing it is a good idea...maybe I'll do some test :)

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Hey there! This is a nice Sticky Web team, nice job on the top. Electrolyte already outlined some solid changes, so I am going to fully support the Murkrow suggestion with the following set, since it is the most optimal in the current metagame:

Murkrow @ Life Orb
240 Atk / 80 SpA / 188 Spe
Naive / Insomnia
~Brave Bird
~Sucker Punch
~Icy Wind
~Heat Wave

With such a switch being made you increase your offensive presence drastically and thus you can pretty much demolish 4/5ths of the LC metagame thanks to the high powered Brave Bird. With Sneasel's ban, Murkrow is extremely relevant again.

Due to you carrying a couple SR weak mons and the inherent offensive nature of your team, I must propose a modified Gligar set. Your current Gligar set loses the momentum the rest of your team has, and is ineffective in dealing with Flying types such as Yanma. In order to better synergize with the rest of your team and pose an offensive threat as well, I suggest the following Gligar set instead:

GLIGA (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt/Defog
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Defog vs Taunt is a personal choice. I myself much prefer Taunt due to the fact that it can destroy a huge danger to your team, Dwebble, without breaking a sweat, although Defog is more effective at keeping hazards off overall. Such a Gligar set allows you to defeat Yanma easily and allows you to keep massive offensive pressure with Acrobatics even if you are Knock Off'd.

Regarding Pokebank vs non-Pokebank, I'd like you to note that in roughly two weeks "non-Pokebank" will not be a meta any longer, and that Pokebank will be the standard meta as well in merely two weeks. These changes are meant to adapt to the different meta.

Once again I agree with Electrolyte's suggestion of Rain Dance > Haze, as Sun has become massively relevant since Sneasel's ban, and running Rain Dance is a unique and surprising disrupter. Surskit doesn't have the bulk to pull off Haze regardless.

Finally, your Meditite irks me a bit. Berry Juice is not an optimal item on Meditite at all. It has the bulk to pull of Eviolite very well, and if you want to go maximum offensive, Life Orb is the way to go. Seeing as you already have an extremely hard hitter in Murkrow, the Eviolite Drain Punch Meditite set adheres better here. It easily tanks through teams through bulk and sheer power, especially considering your valuable Sticky Web support, as well as covering huge threats such as Carvanha. The set is as follows:

Meditite @ Eviolite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut/Fake Out
- Ice Punch

This team was built to work well in non-pokèbank,I wanted to do something nice there before it ends!
I'll make a pokèbank version of this team with your advice,but I don't know how will it perform,because the lack of hazards and defoggers in non-pokèbank LC is what makes my mons work so well there.Thanks to everybody,of course :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)