Lead Omastar is Back?! Peaked at #2 (1383 ELO)

Hey guys, it's me Finon here with another RU RMT :D
I realize it's a bit early in the new meta to be posting RMT's, but I've quite a lot of success with this team and it functions well. It also got me to 1382 on the ladder so I think that is also a sign that it doesn't completely suck. Thanks to EonX for being so helpful with adjusting this team you're the best, and tbh you're the only reason it works ;) Also, we need more RU RMT's. Step it up guys!

After playing around for a bit pre-drops, I realized how threatening and underrated Specs Meloetta was. This thing is an incredibly strong mon in the tier that suprisingly few teams prepare for. Once the drops occurred, it further reinforced my thought. It has the sheer power to rip through teams with good dual STABs, and has pretty decent coverage too.

Teambuilding Process

Omastar was next added to the team, as I usually prefer to have a suicide lead. I had Aerodactyl in this slot first but it just wasn't performing very well.

SD Virizion pairs very well with Mel, as it is able to beat many things that well is weak to such as dark types, and some steel types.

My team was really just full of wallbreakers at this point, so a cleaner was necessary by this point. Sharpedo filled this spot well, as Speed Boost + a good movepool is helpful.

Emboar fit really well into this next spot, as it beats opposing steel types more consistently than Viri, beats other dark types, beats setup mons like opposing Virizion, etc. It's also bait for Dugtrio which is problematic for this team.

Want to talk about mons that need checks? Just look to Fletch! Fletch completely wrecks my team, so I added on Magneton, as it also functions well as a Volt Switch user to help me get into Mel. It also beats the most common spinner Blastoise

The Team

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Omastar is quite an underrated lead. It threatens leads such as Rhyperior and Druddigon, and is also capable of setting up two great hazards in Stealth Rock and Spikes. Scald is there because burn is really annoying (although I never get burns). Ice Beam really finishes of the coverage, beating most other things and giving omastar really good coverage. Weak Armor allows Omastar to outspeed anything that hits it with a physical attack.

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

The beast is here! Meloetta is a really good mon right now, basically hitting most things with neutral coverage with it's STABs, and those that resist it still take a ton of damage from it. Thunderbolt was added over Dazzling Gleam because I found that Mel didn't do enough with Psychic. Focus Blast is there to hit things like Mlix that are a pain to deal with.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Virizion pairs really well with Mel. Mel can take all the psychic-type attacks that Mel fears, while Virizion helps Mel with things like Scrafty. I'm running a pretty standard SD set here. I was running CM, but I always ended up with one physical attacker on my team so I just switched this over to SD. It also serves as my Knock Off tank.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Needing a cleaner, Sharpedo was my first choice. Sharpedo right now is a huge threat, and after having a team full of almost all wallbreakers, something had to be added that can outspeed the rest of the tier if need be. Crunch is used over Dark Pulse because it damages most Psychics tend to be more specially defensive. Hydro Pump over Waterfall because it does more to Mlix and Rhyperior. Ice Beam is just there for grass types and Flygon.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk
- Flare Blitz

Pretty scarf Emboar set here. Scarf here because it's nice Dugtrio bait. It also outspeeds mons that would otherwise be quite threatening such as Virizion, Hitmonlee (non-scarfed variant), and Durant. It also can take the Willo's that my other mons wouldn't appreciate. Sleep Talk added because Virizion is not an Amoonguss switch-in :/

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Water]

Magneton is really the glue of my team. First it checks the most powerful threat to my team, Fletchinder. Second, it checks the most common spinner right now Blastoise. It also provides a powerful Volt Switch in which I can bring in something like Mel, Viriz, or Sharp. HP Water over HP Grass as Mlix can be a bit threatening to my team sometimes :/ Mag also helps me beat Tyrantrum

Threatlist:
Can be a bit annoying to deal with w/out Viriz or Mel
I lose when Mag dies
/
I get wrecked by the Scarf variants

Shoutouts
EonX for dealing with my teambuilding crap
TyrantrumIsBroken for being a cool dude
Oddish is the best for just being there
Esidisi for being also being a helpful person
MrAldo Because you also helped me with teambuilding

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk
- Flare Blitz

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Water]

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man this is a really cool team with my most favorite Sharpedo set atm. Here's the rate:

• With those in the threat list, I can see that All-Out Aerodactyl also completely wrecks havoc in your team since you lack a switch-in to that. Furthermore, the two Fighting-types you mentioned just KOs a Pokemon, switches out when you go to Sharpedo, and then comes back later and KOs another Pokemon. This means that you need a solid switch-in to these Pokemon without losing any offensive prowess. Therefore, running a Choice Band Granbull over Emboar seems like the best option since that can switch into Aerodactyl as well as Medicham and Hitmonlee, and threaten to KO it back. Granbull can also force switches and weaken Steel-type Pokemon with Superpower/Fire Punch, giving it an easier time for Meloetta and Virizion to finish.
  • With Granbull over Emboar, I can see that you're weak to Houndoom, as you lack a proper switchin. You're also weak to Dugtrio since it can trap a lot of your Pokemon and attempt to KO it. Furthermore, you lack good speed control in your team since your team now just gets 6-0ed by Durant. Therefore, the best option is to change Magneton to an All-Out Attacker Aerodactyl which can deal with Dugtrio and Durant, while still retaining the ability to check Fletchinder. It also reduces the weakness to Houndoom since you can now predict and switch Aerodactyl on a Fire Blast or Virizion on Dark Pulse producing mind-games to the opponent.
  • I do not see Houndoom switching into anything but Meloetta and Granbull, it is more likely to switch into Meloetta since it loves to Pursuit trap it, and thus I think your optimal set should be a Colbur Berry Calm Mind Meloetta over Choice Specs to deal with Houndoom far easier while still retaining the ability to sweep teams with Calm Mind.
Here are the changes man. Really loved the team. Good luck! :toast:

Granbull @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Roost / Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge

Meloetta @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast

Hey man this is a really cool team with my most favorite Sharpedo set atm. Here's the rate:

• With those in the threat list, I can see that All-Out Aerodactyl also completely wrecks havoc in your team since you lack a switch-in to that. Furthermore, the two Fighting-types you mentioned just KOs a Pokemon, switches out when you go to Sharpedo, and then comes back later and KOs another Pokemon. This means that you need a solid switch-in to these Pokemon without losing any offensive prowess. Therefore, running a Choice Band Granbull over Emboar seems like the best option since that can switch into Aerodactyl as well as Medicham and Hitmonlee, and threaten to KO it back. Granbull can also force switches and weaken Steel-type Pokemon with Superpower/Fire Punch, giving it an easier time for Meloetta and Virizion to finish.
  • With Granbull over Emboar, I can see that you're weak to Houndoom, as you lack a proper switchin. You're also weak to Dugtrio since it can trap a lot of your Pokemon and attempt to KO it. Furthermore, you lack good speed control in your team since your team now just gets 6-0ed by Durant. Therefore, the best option is to change Magneton to an All-Out Attacker Aerodactyl which can deal with Dugtrio and Durant, while still retaining the ability to check Fletchinder. It also reduces the weakness to Houndoom since you can now predict and switch Aerodactyl on a Fire Blast or Virizion on Dark Pulse producing mind-games to the opponent.
  • I do not see Houndoom switching into anything but Meloetta and Granbull, it is more likely to switch into Meloetta since it loves to Pursuit trap it, and thus I think your optimal set should be a Colbur Berry Calm Mind Meloetta over Choice Specs to deal with Houndoom far easier while still retaining the ability to sweep teams with Calm Mind.
Here are the changes man. Really loved the team. Good luck! :toast:

Granbull @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Roost / Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge

Meloetta @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
Those are some cool changes I'll try them out. Only thing is that don't you think Granbull is a bit slow for the team? If the point is to have fast, strong mons, don't you think Granbull is a bit slow?
Edit:I've also noticed that im then super weak to M-Glalie and Scarf Durant w/out Emboar

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Those are some cool changes I'll try them out. Only thing is that don't you think Granbull is a bit slow for the team? If the point is to have fast, strong mons, don't you think Granbull is a bit slow?
Edit:I've also noticed that im then super weak to M-Glalie and Scarf Durant w/out Emboar
I agree Granbull is slow, but your team really needs something for Medicham and Hitmonlee and the other things would have been a Spiritomb/Aromatisse/Togetic or a Qwilfish which gets bopped by Zen Headbutt and Granbull gives you the biggest offensive prowess. And yeah Mega Glalie is a threat but it cant switch into anything tbh, Aero can KO it, Melo can KO before Mega, Virizion can KO, and Granbull can live one Fineon. Tbh you don't really need a switchin to a powerful wallbreaker in a HO team, you just hit it with what's infront. As for Scarf Durant, you have to predict its moves and Sharpedo/Meloetta lives an Iron Head while Aero/Granbull lives an X-Scissor. It always is a hassle vs offensive teams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)