Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynara

Banned deucer.

Overview
########

+Good base speed
+Decent defensive stats
+Access to fast sticky web support, the primary reason to use Leavanny on a team
+Workable special Movepool and special Stat, Has access to Bug Buzz and Leaf storm
-Limited offensive movepool
-Terrible defensive typing (Bug/Grass) 2 Daul weaknesses to common offensive types
-Bug typing makes it weak to stealth rocks
-Outclassed by Kricketune for sticky web support, Leavannys only niche over kricketune is it's higher base speed

Sticky Web Support
########
name: Sticky web Support
move 1: Sticky web
move 2: Magic Coat
move 3: Leaf Storm
move 4: Bug Buzz / Heal Bell
ability: Swarm
item: Focus sash
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

•Sticky web, Hazards should be layed down on the first turn out
•Magic coat - This is useful for scouting any suspecting taunt/other status moves and bounce them back, this is another niche that Leavanny has over kricketune
•Leaf storm - Main Special STAB has a workable 70 Base special, hits anything what Leaf blade hits even harder and is the preffered choice
•Bug buzz - Secondary Special STAB - Coverage and hits things behind substitutes
•Heal bell - Removes any status inflicted onto team mates and Itself, can provide useful if Leavanny is paralyses

Set Details
========

•A speed boosting nature is essential as Leavannys main goal is to get hazards down as fast as possible.
•252 speed and 252 special attack for maximum offensive capabilities with leaf storm and bug buzz
•timid nature to be used for max speed to ensure speed ties with other leavanny
•A focus sash is used to ensure webs are set and allowing leavanny to survive any attack if it's on full HP and allowing it to possibily getting another turn of use.

Usage Tips
========

•The first thing leavanny should be doing is setting up sticky webs to support the team
•Leaf storm is leavannys main way of hitting things hard, notable targets include weak special walls such as hippopotas
•Any faster threats such as anything that may possess taunt or status can be deal with through the use of magic coat
•Magic coat should be the first play to make if it's a obvious hazard setter or taunt user to bounce it back to the opponent.
•Swarm is the preffered ability as it increases the power of bug type moves and when leavanny is in swarm range, which it is alot, It allows it to deal more damage.
•Leavanny should stay in until it is KO'd as it is more of a lead than anything.
•Leavanny can be used as set up bait, so if something is setting up, switch out immediatly to a relevant check or counter to stop it.
Team Options
========
• sticky web Pokemon such as Rampardos/Marowak/Frogadier anything else that is slow and powerful
•Purugly, STAB fake out and outspeeds a majority of the tier after speed drops from webs, is a notable staple on sticky web teams. This is because Purugly has the defiant ability which is a Niche over tarous as it can switch into defog and gain an attack boost due to defiant and this is the main reason why purugly should be considered a top priority partner to Leavanny.
•Anything with moderate speed that appericates the support from sticky webs allowing them to outspeed various things they naturally wouldn't able to.
•A ghost type that can act as a spin block to prevent sticky webs from being removed by rapid spin, such as Haunter.
•Low speed Pokemon, such as Ursaring

Other Options
########

•It has swords dance and baton pass for quick pass, however it's hugely outclassed by things such as ninjask and swasbuck
•Weakness policy + baton pass, however this is more gimmicky than anything as Leavanny is weak to alot of things, therefore it would lack a focus sash and would most likely be Knocked out before it could even pass boosted stats.
•An all out attacking set with Life orb, Leavanny gets coverage moves such as Leaf blade, X-scissor Poison Jab and knock off, however these options are limited.

Checks & Counters
########

**Hazard Removers** These render leavannys work useless by removing the sticky webs that were put down, if they have a defogger it's pretty much a waste of time. Most notable hazard removers are togetic and swanna
**Pokemon that resist Bug and Grass** Most notably, Fire and flying types since Leavanny takes 4x super effective damage from these types of attacks, other notable threats include things like Scyther, Klang, Arbok can all take advantage of leavanny
**Pokemon immune to sticky web** which can waste Leavanny's efforts. Notable Pokemon include Chatot, Dodrio, Haunter, Articuno
**Purugly** Possesses the defiant ability and gains an attack boost from the sticky webs drop, gets access to fake out, Purugly is also faster without speed drops than leavanny so It can also Prevent it from getting up webs completely. Since it has Fake out which is Priority, it can break sash then Proceed to KO leavanny with STAB Return, Not many pokemon in the tier enjoy switching into a +2 Return from Purugly either.

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Eh, I guess this is ready for QC now. So title changed to QC tagging Darnell just to annoy him :)

Last edited:
Couple things:
  • Knock Off is legal with sticky web afaik so yeah deslash knock off.
  • Stress in the overview that this thing is like almost entirely outclassed by kricketune and the only thing leavanny has going for it is higher speed.
  • In teammates specifically when mentioning lowish speed mons mention things like ursaring specifically.
  • BP set I would have to try out, but I am really doubting it deserves a set however I guess it is a niche over kricketune.
  • Slash cm with sd as opposed to sub as you most likely won't be passing dual attacking boosts.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Couple things:
  • Knock Off is legal with sticky web afaik so yeah deslash knock off.
  • Stress in the overview that this thing is like almost entirely outclassed by kricketune and the only thing leavanny has going for it is higher speed.
  • In teammates specifically when mentioning lowish speed mons mention things like ursaring specifically.
  • BP set I would have to try out, but I am really doubting it deserves a set however I guess it is a niche over kricketune.
  • Slash cm with sd as opposed to sub as you most likely won't be passing dual attacking boosts.
Thanks for changes, I forgot knock off was a transfer move on leavanny, anyways, these are implented

yo, iirc, there's some kinda compatibility issue preventing the use of webs + knock off, so i'd remove mentions of that i think (could be wrong and that was just a ps error that was remedied or needs to be, but i did try at some point and it wasn't allowed x_x). i'd mention more specific applications on leaf storm for the webs set, since it currently seems super vague. for instance, i'd mention that it hits pelipper and avalugg, two relevant enough hazard removers that can p.safely beat leavanny 1v1 if all they have to worry about it webs+2 physical stab. i'd also stress what it has over krictetune, b/c the former's access to utilities like taunt and endeavor really give it a favourable edge in application. going along with this, it may well be worth noting that a max SpA Leaf Storm does 66.4 - 78.1% to the standard avalugg, 2hkoing on a fairly consistent basis unless they scout and recover on the leaf storm turn (which most don't, from my experiences), which is p.big from what i've observed (shame it doesn't get work up or growth, tbh, since it'd cement a niche imo).

edit: i'm p.slow, dang

A few thoughts:

-Magic Coat should be on here somewhere, the defense against taunt is a big plus over kricketune

-leaf blade is pretty useless as pretty much everything you would hit by it is hit harder by leaf storm, and because of this I'd move the EVs over to special attack

-Remove the mentions of synergy-based partners from team options, leavanny is almost always dying right at the beginning of the battle and when it isn't it still isn't usually taking hits

-stress slow offensive mons more as well, stuff like choice band Flareon works really well on webs and is one of the biggest reasons to run webs. Also purugly should definitely be in team options, it's a huge staple on webs.

-the overview should have waaaay more emphasis on sticky web, it's way more important than stuff like its offensive capabilities

-mention defoggers and avalugg / wartortle in C&C, they should be like the second thing listed there as they render leavanny's work useless.

-the baton pass set seems really bad and outclassed, but I'd wait to see what other QC members say before removing it.

-finally, pidgeot is irrelevant and shouldn't be mentioned.

Sticky Web Support
########

This is the only set Leavanny should be running.
This Mon is incredibly outclassed by Kricketune bar beating some leads with Leaf Storm and setting up Sticky Web against Taunt Misdreavus.
Sets not running Magic coat and Leaf Storm are not even worth considering lol

Add sticky web Pokemon such as Rampardos/Marowak/Frogadier/Stuff slow and powerful in tram options

SD pass is hugely outclassed by sawsbuck and even ninjask as they both have better abilities and stats to do that job.

Please reflect the analysis so that it includes the set above.

Also you should change the whole CC to reflect this set which means give a huge mention to defog and remove Taunt :)

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Sticky Web Support
########

This is the only set Leavanny should be running.
This Mon is incredibly outclassed by Kricketune bar beating some leads with Leaf Storm and setting up Sticky Web against Taunt Misdreavus.
Sets not running Magic coat and Leaf Storm are not even worth considering lol

Add sticky web Pokemon such as Rampardos/Marowak/Frogadier/Stuff slow and powerful in tram options

SD pass is hugely outclassed by sawsbuck and even ninjask as they both have better abilities and stats to do that job.

Please reflect the analysis so that it includes the set above.

Also you should change the whole CC to reflect this set which means give a huge mention to defog and remove Taunt :)
Updated to reflect these changes! let me know if I missed anything, also baton pass removed but added to OO

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
**Defoggers Avalugg/Wartortle** These render leavannys work useless by removing the sticky webs that were put down, if they have a defogger it's pretty much a waste of time.
This should just be named "Hazard Removers", and Wartortle is a terrible example since it is one of the few hazard removers Leavanny can beat that Kricketune cannot. Replace that with things like Togetic and Swanna, and Torkoal.

**Fire/Flying types** Leavanny possesses a 4x weakness to both these types. Main threats include heatmor, Ninetails, Altria, Pidgeot as they can hit hard
You can change this to "Pokemon that resist Bug and Grass", and throw Poison- and Steel-types in there, alongside the aforementioned Fire- and Flying-types. Literally all of them can take advantage of Leavanny, things like Scyther (not Pidgeot because it is irrelevant), Klang, Arbok, and whatnot.

**Ice types** Leavanny has a grass typing which makes it weak to ice, a notable threat is avalugg as It has high base defense and doesn't mind it speed being lowered by sticky webs, allowing it to switch in easy and either threaten leavanny with STAB Ice type attacks or spin away sticky web as it's almost forced to switch.
Ice-types don't really stop Leavanny from doing its job in any notable way, and some (Lapras and Piloswine) are even weak to Leavanny. Avalugg is already mentioned in the hazard removers section.

Instead, maybe you can replace this section with "Pokemon immune to Sticky Web", which can waste Leavanny's efforts. Notable Pokemon include Chatot, Dodrio, Haunter, and other Pokemon you can mention.

Last edited:
This should just be named "Hazard Removers", and Wartortle is a terrible example since it is one of the few hazard removers Leavanny can beat that Kricketune cannot. Replace that with things like Togetic, Swanna, and Torkoal.

You can change this to "Pokemon that resist Bug and Grass", and throw Poison- and Steel-types in there, alongside the aforementioned Fire- and Flying-types. Literally all of them can take advantage of Leavanny, things like Scyther (not Pidgeot because it is irrelevant), Klang, Arbok, and whatnot.

Ice-types don't really stop Leavanny from doing its job in any notable way, and some (Lapras and Piloswine) are even weak to Leavanny. Avalugg is already mentioned in the hazard removers section.

Instead, maybe you can replace this section with "Pokemon immune to Sticky Web", which can waste Leavanny's efforts. Notable Pokemon include Chatot, Dodrio, Haunter, and other Pokemon you can mention.
Torkoal isn't PU. also, while wartortle can't spin on leavanny directly, it can easily come in later in the match and spin, rendering leavanny useless. It's still worth mentioning, though I'd rename the section to just "hazard removal" or something. Agree with the rest of your post though.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
This should just be named "Hazard Removers", and Wartortle is a terrible example since it is one of the few hazard removers Leavanny can beat that Kricketune cannot. Replace that with things like Togetic and Swanna, and Torkoal.

Added these changes

You still haven't added purugly to team options, which you should do because it's the only good defiant user in the tier. Mention it in C&C as well, it can prevent leavanny from getting up webs at all because its faster and has fake out, while also being great against sticky web teams in general because of defiant.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
You still haven't added purugly to team options, which you should do because it's the only good defiant user in the tier. Mention it in C&C as well, it can prevent leavanny from getting up webs at all because its faster and has fake out, while also being great against sticky web teams in general because of defiant.
These are now added, sorry i missed them.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
Dont need to mention base stats as those will be shown above

[Set Details]
Dont need to mention the extra 4 Def, those are "leftovers" and are obvious points

[Usage Tips]
You have the basics of what Leavanny should be doing, but not who it should be doing it against. For instance what sort of Pokemon should I Magic Coat (specific examples), when should I attack against x,y,z etc. etc.
Also you should mention that Leavanny should switch if something is setting up against it instead of waiting to die.

[Team Options]
You dont mention why the main reason Purugly should be on a webs team, Defiant main reason to use it over something like Tauros
You really need more examples of Pokemon to use overall, you give maybe one example for each line, try and have at least 3

[C&C]
Need to be more specific about why Purugly can stop Leavanny, can break sash with Fake Out and then KO with Return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)