Legend of the Landshark ( Peaked #1 on PO 1700+ )

Introduction

What's good Smogon? I'm here bringing you a RMT! This team takes a different approach to my preferred style, gimmicky ass shit, as this generally is a very standard team. It's based around Dragon Gem Garchomp, which is one of the best wallbreakers in this metagame, it allows me to completely dismantle an opponents core and then sweep with either the same garchomp or another pokemon on my team. It's sad to see most of the people on the ladder don't even know what it does (but that just makes it easier to win I guess). Anyway, enough of me complaining, lets get into the team building process!

Peak:

Team Building Process

Usually, I just throw pokemon together, test the team and keep repeating until it works well, which has been quite a succesful method of teambuilding thusfar and allowed me to get like #5 with really odd semi-trick room teams etc., this time I decided to do something different, though.

I made my own standard team, by starting with a 4 pokemon core that my best friend, and the player I respect the most, Fabian has proven to be succesful countless of times. So you could say this team is also his for a huge part.

Next I got back to my old habits and just tried out different sets on these 4 and different pokemon in my last 2 slots, I can't remember all the stages it has been through but the Latias has been either Specs, Scarf, or LO tank, the Scizor was bulky band, fast band, acrobatics or bulky sd, the rotom-w has been chestoresto or specs, and the tyranitar has been support or scarf.
The other 2 slots have been filled by various of Slowking, Celebi, Heatran, Garchomp, Keldeo, Jirachi, Terrakion, Breloom, Landorus-T and Gengar sets.. A lot of these versions were quite good but had issues with stall until I finally decided on the final version of this team.

I had decided to use a Dragon Gem Garchomp, which significantly helped me break through stall, and a scarf keldeo, mostly because I believe Garchomp, Jirachi and Keldeo are the only really good scarfers in this metagame and I wanted one that could reliably outspeed mence so jirachi was out of the question.
As for the core I decided on LO/Specs Latias, Fast CB Scizor, Chestoresto Rotom-W and Shed Shell Support Tar.

Using Support Tar to set up rocks and sand to wear down my opponent, Scizor and Rotom-W as a volt turn core to further wear my opponent down, Garchomp to punch holes, Latias to punch holes and act as a pivot, and Keldeo to revenge kill and clean up.

Well, now that you've seen how the team has progressed, lets look a little closer at each Pokemon.

A closer look

LilOu (Garchomp) @ Dragon Gem
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance

Good old Dragon Gem SD Chomp, it just does work regardless of team matchup. It OHKO's Landorus-T after a SD, can OHKO Hippowdon after a SD and is guaranteed to do so with only 10% damage on it,
and still 2HKO's ( OHKO's in Forretress' case ) Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Forretress, with a little bit of prediction this thing can just destroy stall, and it still does amazing vs more offensive and balanced teams as it can bluff scarf with EQ and fire off a pseudo-banded outrage when the time is right, being able to OHKO things like Rotom-W and even Dragonite through multiscale without a boost.

Shurtugal (Latias) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

My tank, its amazing typing and bulk allows it to take on many threats that are annoying to my team like Rotom-W, Keldeo, Venusaur, anything, really! I still switch things up a lot in this slot, I use Surf over HP fire or Recover over Healing Wish at times, I also switch it to a specs set sometimes, in which case I often change the last slot to Grass Knot, Sleep Talk, Trick, or Surf.
This thing hits hard and supports the team incredibly well with healing wish, a real teamplayer :).

MikeDawg (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Sleep Talk
- Superpower

Jolly CB Scizor! It does everything CB Scizor does, except.. Faster! So many Celebi, SpD Heatran, Tyranitar, etc. expect me not to outspeed them after seeing my damage output, and they just.. Well.. Die. This is part 1 of my volt turn core, my initial Breloom/Amoonguss switchin, revenge killer, and often even a lategame sweeper vs offensive teams.
Credit to Fabian for convincing me how good sleep talk scizor is lol.
Use pursuit if you're one of those people who don't think sleep talk on every team is neccesary, or if you use specs latias with sleep talk.

ShootingStarmie (Rotom-W) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 216 HP / 204 SDef / 88 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Rest

Part 2 of my volt turn core, specially defensive chestoresto Rotom-W, I find this so much more useful than pain split even in sand due to being able to fake a choice set at times and because I often find myself using it to absorb status. Will-O-Wisp helps me neuter physical attackers and further wear down my opponents team which is oh so important for my teams success. Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant Max speed Scizor. ( see? I don't even EV for jolly ! )

Fabian (Tyranitar) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Roar
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Support Tar, I use shed shell to bluff choice which means they'll often stay in with Lati@s to eat a crunch as they predict pursuit, while it also helps me completely screw with the momentum of dugtrio sun. The moveset speaks for itself, Crunch for obligatory STAB and to hit psychic types, Roar to phaze and wear my opponents team down, and to fuck with baton pass as Roar Tyranitar always does, Fire Blast to hit steels and Stealth Rock because most important move in the game ( even though Tyranitar rarely actually manages to get them up ).

If opponent does not carry Lati@s, I have found this to be the most reliable deathfodder I have ever used.

qSeasons (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Surf
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Loading Standard.scarfer, its my least favourite of the 3 scarfers I actually enjoy in this meta but I found it important to outspeed mence, and I already had a damn chomp so I couldn't use Scarfchomp. Keldeo's natural bulk allows me to emergency check a lot of things if absolutely neccesary. I use Surf because I don't really need the power provided by hydro pump and I prefer consistency, I can't use both as I need hidden power electric to revenge gyarados due to not having thunderbolt on rotom-w, icy wind for dragons, secret sword for chansey and ferrothorn pretty much. It's a decent revenge killer and cleaner.

Conclusion

So anyway, there's the team. It has been very fun laddering with this team. Feel free to use the team if you like it, you'll probably be disappointed because I'm a horrible teambuilder. But Fabian is a pro and he gave me the basis so you might not be.. You can only know if you try :).
Actually, don't try, go play gen 6 already.

Shout-outs! ( In no particular order )

Jk if you're at the bottom of this list you should feel bad :[

Fabian - Being my BFF and distracting me while I'm trying to write this shit up, also providing me with a great start in building this team. You're the one who's always deserved the #1, not me. But I'm sure you realise I would've never have gotten where I am today if it wasn't for you, I probably wouldn't have been playing pokemon anymore, even.

ShootingStarmie - For not being mad that I blatantly copied his RMT layout. Also just a cool guy, ladder more (BAN ME PLEASE).

Lady Samantha - My wife! I love you girl, I'd name one of my pokemon after you but none of them would do you justice, my heart is already named after you.

qSeasons - Whenever I needed to be cheered up I could just watch you ladder and laugh at how bad you are :).. And you're pretty cool despite making us drop out of the fucking ghosting tour you (BAN ME PLEASE) :[

Scotti - For being a good player and team mate in the ghosting tour, we really needed eachother to make up for how bad seasons is :]

LilOu - For wanting to steal my chomp set, introducing me to SoA despite me not having any time at all to watch it

This Ain't Sparta (Spinda) - Strong user right here. Demolishing the ladder with Baton Pass! But yeah, just a really chill guy. (SlowKING BITCH!)

Shurtugal - For being awesome and making Exotic Beauties not so much of a sausage fest, I miss you gurl get back :[

Stone RG - Chill guy, he thinks I'm too serious but that's just him being an idiot, always nice laughing about how obsessed he is about anime girls.

Jul14n - You're pretty cool despite refusing to come out of the closet, basically the only guy I know on PS that's actually on when I go online in the morning.

SnoopingGil - For putting up with my bitching all the time

Adam - For putting up with my bitching and being jealous of how fucking rich you are all the time

Swag/Ace Trainer Jesus - For being like the most chill guy I know

Dice - We went way back, we need to talk more

Donkey - We went way back, we need to talk more

Blimlax - We went way back, we need to talk more

MikeDawg - Get on more I miss you.

The rest of IMP - for recognising my superiority

Sugarhigh - For losing ghosting tour

ThePillsburyDoughboy - Gamechanging suggestion for my Keldeo EV spread, and having the coolest zapdos around

Sorry if I missed anyone!

Importable

I just told you to go play gen 6, why are you looking at this?

apologies for the terrible descriptions

Last edited:
Change hidden power electric to bug. It doesnt 2hko (pertially) specially defensive jellicent im pretty sure and rotom-w deals with gyarados. Killing celebi is much more valuble (you could always go with hydro pump oc)

You should probably change roar on ttar to pursuit to remove lati@s/celebi so keldeo can sweep. I might think of a good reason to change garchomp to a scarf, scizor to LO SD and ttar to band wich focuses on having a complete keldeo sweep but I cant now, tomorrow maybe. Solid team, all around. Next day, im reading other rates and do agree with the
  • Scizor ---> Heatran change since Passho Volcarona destroys this team. It could set up rocks and counter it unless it carry's hp Ground.
  • However, this way you lose a big physical threat so changing Tyranitar to a Choice Band would be nice since it removes Lati@s, Celebi (unless they carry U-Turn) and Jellicent so Keldeo has an easy time sweeping.
  • On Garchomp, put Yache Berry over Dragon Gem since it prevents you from beeing revenged by Mamoswine.
  • I also think that Roost on Latias would be better than Healing Wish.
Im to to sure about this but you could change Rotom-W to Celebi/Jellicent since they both form a solid core with Heatran. Celebi for Thunder Wave and Jellicent for the Toxic, but since a lot of other people are saying Thunder Wave on Rotom I thing Celebi would be better.

Sets:
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Spd / 228 SDef (adjust to your liking, speed ev's are nice for other Celebi's)
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 204 SDef / 248 HP / 28 Spd / 28 Def (adjust to your liking)
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
Thats my final rate, I hope you find it helpfull.

-ApplepieFTW

Last edited:
HI Spinda nice team. #1 on the po ladder indicates its strength so a formula for success is already there. If I were using the team here is what I would do to suit me personally:

• Thunder Wave > Wil-o-Wisp on Rotom-W
  • Roost > Healing Wish
  • Heatran > Scizor
So your team is pretty reliant on Keldeo to check Volcarona, which means if it goes down it is gg (although every team you could ever make in the metagame is volcarona weak lol). In addition, I can see SD Scizor being a huge threat to this team late if Rotom-W doesn't make it and Keldeo gets weakened. While Rotom-W does have RestoChesto to stay around healthy in the lategame, your team puts a lot of pressure on it as a defensive pivot. Lastly, your team does not have a "super powerful" move to take down steel-types in the rain. So here is my suggestion:

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt / ??? you could put whatever you want here

So Toxic Heatran is my suggestion to you over Scizor. Heatran can check Volcarona and put a stop to it pretty easily if it runs Giga Drain. You said your team has trouble with bulky waters and likes how Wil-o-Wisp wears them down. Heatran is a great Gastrodon / bulky water lure and puts them on the timer with Toxic. If you hit Politoed with Toxic you are more likely to come out on top during the weather war. Heatran keeps a pretty solid Dragon resist on your team too. I couldn't really decide on the fourth slot, but I think Taunt is a good option. Skarmory HO teams look incredibly annoying for you since Spikes will dig into your main offensive checkers (Scizor / Keldeo) and the hazards will stop your Volt-Turning. This Heatran will help against stall, but Garchomp just blasts right through that.

Thunder Wave helps with Volcarona and lets Heatran do some work against faster teams. Latias now takes all the pressure against so I would use Roost for that (also I am not a big fan of Healing Wish but that is just me).

There isn't much to improve upon. great team

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I'm not in the shoutouts smh, I thought me EXISTING was good enough, but no, I actually have to get my fatass to do something, fk u spinda :]

Lol, on a more serious note, great team man, always nice to see someone taking a bit more of a creative approach in this stale rainfest metagame.

EDIT: Yeah that was very dumb of me, still a solid team

Last edited:

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
saying that "this team is weak to a after b dies to c" is literally applicable to everything ever. raikou doesn't make the team any better, and it honestly makes his team weaker to keldeo as you lose a switch that actually can go into keldeo. hell, you even make his team weaker to thundurus-t and rain offense in general. not helping it at all.

But anyway on to the rate, cool team mate. I got to say that Jolly Scizor is a pretty cool idea especially with Sleep Talk, but not 100% sure how it works in practice considering the amount of Pokemon speed creeping up to actually combat Breloom these days. My main changes are small as I like how the team functions, so I basically will be doing small things. I would go with Pursuit over Crunch simply because of how it allows you to trap Latias and other common Keldeo checks and just in general it has good utility. The main problems this team has is Volcorona (especially Lum Berry or Passho) and Sun sweepers in general. Aside from the obvious T-Wave Rotom-W change (which may or may not even be reliable as SDef Rotom-W sucks tbh), I am basically going to piggyback TPBDB's rate and agree with the Heatran change. Although I would personally try putting Chople Berry on Heatran because he actually acts as an emergency Breloom check considering Scizor was usually your initial switch to it. Hell, you could even put Sleep Talk on there somewhere.

Good luck!

Change hidden power electric to bug. It doesnt 2hko (pertially) specially defensive jellicent im pretty sure and rotom-w deals with gyarados. Killing celebi is much more valuble (you could always go with hydro pump oc)
Rotom-W without thunderbolt isn't the greatest gyarados check ( not to mention I rely on it for a lot of pokemon so it's already easily overwhelmed ), it's my initial switchin to gyarados to break the sub so I can revenge with keldeo, I haven't had enough issues with Celebi to be desperate enough to run hp bug on a scarf keldeo..

• Thunder Wave > Wil-o-Wisp on Rotom-W
  • Roost > Healing Wish
  • Heatran > Scizor

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt / ??? you could put whatever you want here
I've really found Will-O-Wisp too useful to pass up on, and I often find myself switching between healing wish and recover already, however I will try out your heatran suggestion with a modified version of my Latias that carries Draco Meteor/Psyshock/Sleep Talk/Recover.

I would suggest changing your rotom-w to a Scarf Raikou
Scarf Keldeo < Specs Keldeo
I didn't think you out of anyone would see a Keldeo weakness that isn't there :P, changing to Raikou would lose me a crucial water resistance and choiced electric types, especially ones that aren't rotom-w, can really lose this team momentum that it can't afford to lose, so I'm afraid I'll stick to rotom-w and scarf keldeo.

I would go with Pursuit over Crunch simply because of how it allows you to trap Latias and other common Keldeo checks and just in general it has good utility. The main problems this team has is Volcorona (especially Lum Berry or Passho) and Sun sweepers in general. Aside from the obvious T-Wave Rotom-W change (which may or may not even be reliable as SDef Rotom-W sucks tbh), I am basically going to piggyback TPBDB's rate and agree with the Heatran change. Although I would personally try putting Chople Berry on Heatran because he actually acts as an emergency Breloom check considering Scizor was usually your initial switch to it. Hell, you could even put Sleep Talk on there somewhere.

Good luck!
I'll definitely try Pursuit over Crunch, though I'm a bit afraid it might kill off its offensive pressure against anything that isn't 4x weak to fire or skarm entirely, and as I said before I will be trying Heatran with sleep talk on my LO Tank Latias. I haven't faced much sun and the few times that I did, having a SR setter that shits on xatu, changes the weather, is a reliable ninetales switch, and doesn't get trapped by dugtrio sort of fucked them over. But I could see why I might have some issues with Sun if I do lose the weather war.

Dr Ciel ily more

sugarhigh you got one plz quit crying

Last edited:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gonna be a quick rate, jumping on what has been said.

First, I don't like Heatran at all, it's really the kind of change that you do to fix stuff and it turns out to be meh most of the time. I'm pretty sure that Scizor is doing a huge job when you need to speed up things and with Heatran you get awfully weak to Physical powerhouses (from the top of my head, Terrakion will be your worst nightmare, but I could say the same about many other pokemons carrying a Physical Fighting move).
So, it's not like Scizor does counter every physical hitter, but at least he's not begging to be crushed by a CC like Heatran and can potentially check most of them or keep the tempo on your side.

But, about Volcarona, you could simply change the Ttar spread/set (this one looks botched) or the Chomp spread/set to have another check. Chomp and Ttar's roles clash with each other currently.
I don't think you need to have Fire Blast on both of them, because the point of those sets is to lure Steels with Ttar/Chomp FOR Ttar/Chomp. So yea, make a choice.

The one with SR is usually the one luring, and the other one could be the one exploiting the holes you created (but that's not mandatory, Ttar can set-up SR with no fear when the match-up makes him useless, so that's usually my personal choice).

Now you got a free slot that you can use to fix a threat of your choice. You can also change Chomp spread to the current : 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe. This way you always live a +1 Bug Buzz from Volcarona LO at full health and kill it thanks to an Adamant Outrage.
So yea, it's really up to you, I like the Chomp Lead paired with the EBelt Ttar (with Ttar as Volc check with a defensive spread -something like 160 SpD and 248 HP make sure you never get killed by +1 Bug Buzz from LO Volcarona).

You got Keldeo Scarf though (you should have HPump on it), so that's really making a moutain out of a mole hill (and fixing that circumstancial threat does not worth making you any weaker to Physical hitters), but you could improve the Chomp/Ttar part of the team in my opinion.

I hope I helped.

I don't really use ttar's fblast as a lure for chomp as much as just not to be set-up fodder for spikers, as I don't have a spinner.
I'll definitely try switching up my garchomp and ttar sets to make me less weak to volcarona, although I haven't had many issues with it in practice yet.
About hydro pump.. I'll pass on that.. I like my scarfer to be reliable, and hydro pump always misses at the worst times, and I value the ice and electric coverage too much to run it alongside surf.

so many bad rates here im amazed etc.
hue
ahh edit: thanks for shoutout, i didnt read it last week because too much text and not much time D= btw one possible change could still be the chomp Scarf and keldeo @belt/specs, if you want to try that a_a but gem chomp actually is indeed a cool thing '-' maybe life orb could also work, or ebelt e.e

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)