Other Metagames Legends of Azeroth - Balanced Hackmons Team by Balanced Freakmons

Artwork by me

Hello everyone and welcome to my 4th Balanced Hackmons Rate My Team (RMT). My name is Balanced Freakmons and this is the RMT that succeeds the "Masters of Illusion", "Knights of the Frozen Throne" and "The Nuclear Army" and it is the third one I do for Generation 7 Balanced Hackmons (BH). This time I introduce you "Legends of Azeroth"!
It's been a while since I posted my last RMT (more than a year) and I was away from the game for some time in the middle of last year and the metagame has changed drastically since then, with the bans of Psychic Surge and, later, Illusion. These changes eliminated some older threats and created some new ones, as the metagame tends to adapt in function of the bans that take place over time. These have come to favour a more defensive/balanced style of play as the number of dangerous sets that BH has to check in order to make a competitive team is enormous.
I was away from the game for a long time and returned to play for real in the beginning of this month. I figured that a Suspect Test for implementing a Sleep Cause was taking place (my opinion here) and some of my recent teams were outdated or were not good enough. So, I decided to create a new team in order to get the requirements that would allow me to vote in that Suspect Test. I ended up making a better team than I imagined in the beginning of the teambuilding process and I want to share it with you so it can help you climbing the ladder too.
I spent some time playing World of Warcraft and Hearthstone last months and that playthrough gave me the inspiration to name this team as well as the Pokémon that are part of it and it has inspired me to create the artwork for it as well.

The team was built with the main objective of allowing me to obtain the reqs that would allow me to vote on the suspect test: 84% GXE with at least 35 games. Allied to this factor I was looking to build a minimally consitent team that would drive me to obtain these reqs and have some fun in a metagame that I haven't played in a while.
During a friendly battle with my friend a loser I was introduced with a new type of Poison Heal (PH) Xerneas different from the classic Quiver Dance sweeper version. His set had Moonblast, Spikes, SoftBoiled and Will-o-Wisp and I found it very interesting and it ended up by being the main inspiration for the team building. I ended up developing a different set from his that provides me a different utility that my specific team needs, but it was that set I wanted to see shine when I would build this team.

Here I introduce you the Teambuilding process of my team:

I started building this team in a different way I use to build my teams. Usually, I start thinking about a good "lead" pokémon. This time was different, as I already had decided the pokémon that would be the basis of the team building process. Poison Heal Xerneas is a top tier archetype since Generation 6 BH and it is still one of the most dangerous Pokémon in Generation 7. In a battle, during the team preview, people will think that my Xerneas is Quiver Dance PH and will start building a strategy to counter that. It is PH indeed but, is it QD? One thing is clear: it threats Dragons! Groudon really loves this, as it can't harm Giratina or Zygarde so effectively. Xerneas has a lot of roles in this team and one of them is helping Groudon, contributing to the team synergy, and I will address this topic in the Team Analysis Chapter.

There are 3 important types of Pokémon that we need to be able to beat in BH: Dragons, Darks and Steels. Almost every balanced/stall team has at least 1 of each or 2 of them. With Dragon and Dark types kept in their place thanks to Xerneas, I needed something to take down and pressure Steel types. Who is better at that than a Fire/Ground powerhouse like Primal Groduon (with Red Orb since normal use is banned)? To be honest, Primal Groudon threats and pressures everything...Let's see more about that in the Team Analysis chapter.

A good balance team has its offensive presence but it surely relies in a good support from a defensive core that helps the team checking the most common threats. Giratina is here to help against Physical Sweepers like Poison Heal Regigigas, Mewtwo Mega X and the always annoying Shedinja. Its ability Magic Bounce contributes for the team consistency as I will explain in the Team Analysis.

Any team needs a good -ate check. Aerilate, Pixilate and Refrigerate have decreased a bit in usage in Generation 7 when compared with their usage in Generation 6, but they are still almost everywhere, specially Pixilate Diancie, and they almost always carry a coverage move like V-Create, Searing Shot or, rarer, Precipice Blades. Flash Fire Necrozma Dusk Mane proved to be awesome to check this and some Contrary abusers too!

Having the previous team members defined, I noticed that a very common Pokémon like Normalize Entrainment Mega Gengar could beat all of them without much difficulty so, I needed a good Pokémon to check that set existing and threatning teams since Generation 6. Yveltal is the real deal and with Assault Vest it proves to be one of the best RegenVest users of the entire Metagame allowing me to check some Mewtwo Mega Y (specially this one), Dialga, Zygarde, Gyarados and some Contrary Mewtwo Mega X sets. It puts a lot of pressure against some opposing defensive Pokémon like Giratina and Aegislash.

Finally, I needed an anti-setup Pokémon that could help against Shell Smash and Unburden Belly Drum sets, preventing them from sweeping/damaging my team. Prankster is absolute mandatory these days and Registeel is a great user, as it can stall -ates with its priority recovery, clean boosts from opponents with Haze or just Destiny Bond some Mewtwo Mega X and Mewtwo Mega Y sometimes. Registeel can act as my second -ate check and is a slow pivot that can bring Xerneas to activate his Toxic Orb safely.

"Behold, the glory of a new sun!", or should I say...a new set!

Roles: Status absorber, PH Xerneas absolute counter, utility pressure.

As I have mentioned before in the Philosophy of the Team Building chapter, the first member of my new team, the "Legends of Azeroth", would be a different set of a Poison Heal (PH) Xerneas inspired by one I saw in that battle. The basis I took from the set was the idea of having a PH Xerneas that could set up Spikes. Having a hazard setter that can be a status absorber and pressure common hazard Deffogers/Rapid Spinners or Magic Bounce users (such as Giratina, Zygarde, Yveltal and Gyarados) has fascinated me since the beginning.
So, Moonblast is the basic STAB here, pressuring all these common defensive Pokémon and some offensive ones like Rayquaza, Kyurem (B and W), Mewtwo Mega X, Sceptile, Zekrom and neutrally damaging Pokémon like Regigigas, Kyogre, Chansey and Audino. Spikes is the chosen hazard to spam with Xerneas and it proves to be so good against Hyper Offensive teams, breaking their Focus Sash users and causing chip damage but its against more defensive oriented teams that hazards take a place to shine, pressuring their switch-ins against my Groudon turning possible 2KOs in KOs most of the time, in addition to the random chip damage that is always good.
Now comes the part where I started to invent...Knock Off and Spectral Thief. Knock Off is here to remove opposing Pokémon items such as Eviolite, Assault Vest, Leftovers, Toxic Orb, Rocky Helmet, Choice Items and Safety Googles. Yes, by removing Safety Googles this helps A LOT Groudon's job as a wallbreaker, buying me some turns against Fur Coat Chansey and Assault Vest Kyogre and against those Prankster Registeel/Solgaleo/Aegislash that try to Destiny Bond in front of it. Knock Off still does a lot of damage against Pokémon like Aegislash that would take nothing from Moonblast. The last move that I picked for Xerneas, it was a bit more complicated to choose. In a primary version of the team, I picked Scald to introduce random burns in opponents such as Regigigas and Steel types like Registeel/Aegislash/Necrozma. But those burns were much..."random" and I already had team members that could deal with such Pokémon. In the other hand, I figured that my team was very weak against Poison Heal Quiver Dance Xerneas (even with Flash Fire Necrozma-DM and Prankster Registeel with Safety Googles, Xerneas could put them to sleep with Lovely Kiss and Earth Power versions were very annoying to deal with). So, I came up with the conclusion that Spectral thief could be a great addition to this set, turning this Xerneas the perfect and absolute counter to any version of Poison Heal Quiver Dance Xerneas (Earth Power, Searing Shot, Magma Storm, Eruption, etc...), by being immune to their sleep moves and stealing their boosts, leaning the field in my favour most of the time.
This Xerneas is my usual switch-in against defensive pokémon like Zygarde, Giratina and Kyogre that I know most of the time they will try to Core Enforcer (specially if my Giratina or Groudon is on the field), acting as a Core Enforcer absorber, which is very important because Core Enforcer is a spammable move in almost every team.
Watch out for Registeel and Solgaleo though, sometimes they carry Anchor Shot and that move can be a pain for Xernas as it lacks a pivot move and will not be able to escape. Xerneas is far too important for the team for you to let this happen.
Last but not the least, the most funny part of this set is that it can beat imposter, as they cannot heal from Poison Heal and they lose their Eviolite in a flash!

"BY FIRE BE PURGED!"

Roles: wallbreaker, stallbreaker, main attacker of the team.
Improofed by: Giratina.

There are three main Pokémon capable of nuking almost everything on their path in BH: Choice Specs Aerilate Mega Rayquaza, Choice Band Adaptability Mega Mewtwo X and Primal Groudon. The advantage of this last one is that it is not trapped by a Choice item and it is free to choose its moves. As this team was designed to be a balanced style of play, it must have something that threatens the majority of the metagame. And note this: I say it has to threaten, not necessairly defeat or OHKO. It is often on threatning that lays the key to influence other players' game.
Primal Groudon has the bonus of having access to the 3rd highest base attack stat of ALL Pokémon: 180. Pair this with a 180 power base V-Create and its ability Desolate Land that powers up even more that nuke. Yes, "DIE, INSECT!".
Thanks to all of this arsenal, Primal Groudon can threat severely any team, whether it is offensive, stall or balance. V-Create OHKO's half of the metagame and 2KO's the other half, except for rare exceptions like Imposter and some bulky dragons like Giratina and Zygarde that are handled by Xerneas. Flash Fire Steel types don't count for this, since they die to Thousand Arrows. Speaking about arrows, Thousand Arrows is the second choice for the moveset. Power 90, Accuracy 100, doesn't make contact, hits Flying types and through Levitate (Nihilego memes, right aki0s <3). This move is pretty good, specially against Celesteela (Both Flash Fire and Primordial Sea), Dialga and other Flash Fire Steel types such as Registeel, Aegislash, Solgaleo and Necrozma Dusk Mane that could wall my offensive presence. The third move I picked to the moveset was Spore. If I would use Synthesis on Desolate Land Groudon (like the common version) is debatable, but I prefer that Imposter can´t use my Groudon as heal source and my Giratina knows Z-Parting Shot to give Groudon a second chance, if needed. Spore is an annoying move for those who want to stall. The main reason I use Spore is to cripple slower walls like Assault Vest Kyogre and Gyarados, Fur Coat users and most importantly, Prankster Steel types that try to Destiny bond against it. Obviously, Groudon appreciates a lot the job done by Xerneas and its Knock Off support. There's a replay where my opponent asks "Isn't this a slow guy for Spore?" to which I replied "My goal is to Spore slower guys". But, Spore is Spore and can be used as a last resort against set up sweepers like Entrainment Mega Gengar (if Yveltal is dead). The last move, I picked Bolt Strike, as a main strategy do heavilly damage Kyogre (Assault Vest), Mega Slowbro, Tapu Fini and Ho-Oh (it walls my Xerneas) and it can induce paralysis in common switch-ins like Giratina, crippling them.
Groudon can act as a last check to Pixilate/Magic Guard Mega Diancie and Poison Heal Mega Tyranitar.
Important note: Groudon appreciates A LOT the support from Spikes (Xerneas) and Stealth Rock (Necrozma DM) as their presence turn possible 2KOs in OHKOs.

Calcs against Steel types are not shown, as they would consist an insult to Groudon's power:
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-X in Harsh Sunshine: 489-576 (117.5 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega in Harsh Sunshine: 417-492 (101.7 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal in Harsh Sunshine: 462-544 (101.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Dialga in Harsh Sunshine: 432-508 (106.9 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dialga in Harsh Sunshine: 393-463 (97.2 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas in Harsh Sunshine: 462-544 (101.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Celesteela: 308-364 (77.3 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Celesteela: 308-364 (77.3 - 91.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arceus in Harsh Sunshine: 393-463 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arceus in Harsh Sunshine: 393-463 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyogre-Primal: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kyogre-Primal: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados-Mega: 272-320 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados-Mega: 272-320 (69 - 81.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina in Harsh Sunshine: 196-231 (38.9 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rayquaza-Mega in Harsh Sunshine: 244-288 (58.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete in Harsh Sunshine: 195-230 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes

"Twilight Drakes feed on Mystical Energy."

Roles: Physical Wall/Switch-in, Shedinja Switch-in/Check, Rapid Spin blocker, Trick/Switcheroo Switch-in.

Giratina is the third member of "Legends of Azeroth". Groudon is such an impressive Pokémon and it deserves an Imposterproof that it's worth of his power. Giratina appears in this team putting all its physical bulk at the service of the team members. Its good defensive typing allied to its amazing bulk enables it to switch in against pratically every physical attack and pivoting my other Pokémon, contributing for a good team synergy.
Magic Bounce Giratina completely walls another devastating titan in BH, Poison Heal Regigigas (non Avalanche memes, because if it carries Avalanche means it doen't have Spore and that version is walled by my Registeel) and checks pretty decently Choice Band Mega Mewtwo X alongside with Yveltal (their Close Combat+Photon Geyser combo can be stopped by these two alone, with the correct plays) but it can check a lot of other Physical threats such as opposing Primal Groudon, Contrary Mega Mewtwo X, Contrary Mega Blaziken, Choice Band Adaptability Mega Beedrill, Magic Guard Ho-Oh, Magic Guard Mega Aerodactyl, Triage Heracross, Poison Heal Heracross and Choice Band Tinted Lens Kartana (if it has not clicked Sunsteel Strike). Giratina is the classic switch-in against Shedinja if Necrozma is not on the field and it blocks Rapid Spin from Assault Vest users like Registeel, Mega Gyarados and Primal Kyogre.

In addition to this physical wall role, Giratina can give any of my other Pokémon a second chance with Z-Parting Shot (Groudon is usually the main target, but any of my other defensive Pokémon that I may need in a certain matchup must be considered) and the damage it takes from Knock Off is reduced, as Darkinium-Z cannot be knocked off. Even in this, Regigigas is in disadvantage. In the other hand, Giratina can help with its Magic Bounce ability to retaliate against any Pokémon that try to threaten my team with hazards and status moves, as its bulk and typing allow it to switch in against the most common hazard setters. It's important to keep hazards out of our field to resist properly the threats.
Core Enforcer is the STAB spammable move that allows Giratina to check general Poison Heal users like Regigigas, Arceus, Pheromosa, Zygarde, Mega Mewtwo X (a crescent set in usage that runs Low Kick, Knock Off and Spore and is walled by this Giratina) and MegaTyranitar/Gyarados (these two at some extent). Shore up is the needed recovery move that ensures Giratina's durability in battle and takes advantage of Sand Stream. Parting shot is the chosen pivoting move unlocking Z-Parting Shot and allowing me to pivote to other Pokémon decreasing the opposing Pokémon stats (sometimes this is very important) and Spectral Thief, another powerful STAB rekts Shell Smash Mewtwo Mega X, Y and any other set up sweeper like Mega Gengar that tries to set up on Giratina (MMX is the most common case, it turns out to be hilarious sometimes) and damages heavilly Aegislash.
252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 201-237 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina in Harsh Sunshine: 196-231 (38.8 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Blaziken-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 119-141 (23.6 - 27.9%) -- 87% chance to 4HKO
+2 252+ Atk Regigigas Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 232-274 (46 - 54.3%) -- 53.5% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Beedrill-Mega U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 81-96 (16 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Beedrill-Mega Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 224-264 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 177-211 (35.1 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

"Welcome to the Grand Tournament, Champion.", or should I say "Welcome to the Grand Death, Diancie."

Roles: -ate check/swicth-in, Stealth Rock setter, Contrary check, Kartana check.

Necrozma Dusk Mane, the fourth member of "Legends of Azeroth". Some people wondered about the reason why I picked Necrozma DM instead of Solgaleo. Firstly, I appreciate the slower U-turn it provides, being slower than Any base 90 Speed defensive Pokémon such as Giratina, Kyogre, it is slower than Mega Gyarados, Zygarde-Complete and Solgaleo itself, all of them slow pivots. It's bulk allows me to safely survive any of these Pokémon moves (except for Gyarados first Knock Off) and safely pivot into Groudon to threaten the majority of them or Xerneas to activate its Toxic Orb. The second reason why I picked Necrozma instead of the purified Solgaleo is the higher attack stat Necrozma has when compared with Solgaleo. It allows me to pressure with greater efficiency Pokémon like Mega Audino, Xerneas and Mega Aerodactyl (this is a great check, by the way). The reason why I picked Necrozma-DM instead of Registeel for this role is that Necrozma takes neutral damage from Close Combat, a random spammed move seen in many Pokémon like -ates Kyurem-B and Mega Rayquaza.
Necrozma is the main -ate check of the team. Its typing makes it resistant to all Aerilate, Pixilate and Refrigerate Boomburst and Extreme Speed and, alongside with Flash Fire it turns Necrozma immune to strong Fire coverage from them like V-Create, Magma Storm and Searing Shot. Necrozma only fears Ground coverage but -ates only carry Fire or Ground, never both, and Precipice Blades is not as strong as V-Create and, that way, Registeel acts as the Ground coverage check stalling them with Prankster recovery. Watch out for Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza, Necrozma can check it at some extent, but usually, Registeel does a better job due to its priority healing.
Necrozma can check Choice Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-W, Choice Band Kartana that go to V-create, and can pivot against Contrary users like Mega Mewtwo X and Y being immune to Overheat and V-create, bringing the proper check to face them. Necrozma can act as a second check to non Ground coverage PH Quiver Dance Xerneas (usually it carries a Fire move).
Sunsteel Strike is the STAB, with base 100 power and it can cause big damage in a big part of the Metagame. Heal Order ensures proper recovery and durability, both required to stall some threats and it's a different move from Shore Up as Giratina already carries it and Imprison is a thing. U-turn is the pivoting move that can hit super-effectively Mega Mewtwo Y, Deoxys-A, Mega Gyarados helping out by doing some chip damage which is fundamental against Pokémon that are dangerous but cannot heal, such as MMY. Stealth Rock is probably the most used hazard in the history of Pokémon, that pressures Flying types, and no team is complete without it: breaking Focus Sashes, destroying Kyurem-B/W little by little, same for Mega Rayquaza, helping wallbreakers in their jobs, etc...
The chosen item was Rocky Helmet instead of Safety Googles because Necrozma is here to take a lot of opposing Fake Out, Extreme Speed, U-turn and Shedinja's Endeavor. Shedinja is instakill: it's simple, you're slower, you click Heal Order, it kills itself in the Rocky Helmet and you heal back. -ates lack recovery, so the chip damage provided by Rocky Hemlet is really great.
Generally, I pick Necrozma as the lead on almost every match. This is explained by the abundance of -ates in the Metagame that usually are leads and the second reason is to try to set up Rocks as soon as possible to start pressuring my opponent's team.

252 SpA Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 108-128 (27.1 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Pixie Plate Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 131-154 (32.9 - 38.6%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Pixie Plate Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 144-169 (36.1 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Pixie Plate Pixilate Diancie-Mega Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 73-87 (18.3 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ SpA Diancie-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 170-202 (42.7 - 50.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Kyurem-Black Dragon Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 120-142 (30.1 - 35.6%) -- 34.4% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Sky Plate Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 156-185 (39.1 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+4 252+ SpA Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 174-206 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO

"Pain... Agony... My hatred burns through the cavernous deeps. The world heaves with my torment. Its wretched kingdoms quake beneath my rage. But at last... The whole of Azeroth will break... And all will burn beneath the shadow of my wings."

Roles: Hazard cleaner/Spinner, Special Wall, Normalize Mega Gengar absolute counter, Triage Mega Rayquaza check

Here is my favourite Pokémon, Yveltal. It surely deserves a special spot in this team. Yveltal acts as the axis of the team, and his actions are appreciated by all other members. The first reason I picked Yveltal is because my team was a lot weak to Normalize Mega Gengar. It is faster than any of my other teammates and could Entrainment them and set-up without any problem. Yveltal is here to ruin the party for any Mega Gengar: Normalize, Adaptability and Tinted Lens can't break Assault Vest Yveltal. Basically all you need to do is to keep Yveltal alive and Revelation Dance all Mega Gengars and blast them from this Earth. Yeah, "All will burn!". If you predict they will Shell Smash (happens more when your opponent is desperate) you can go to Spectral Thief for a more than hilarious kill. Spectral Thief is here to check Triage Mega Rayquaza, that could be a bit annoying, but Yveltal can resist Oblivion Wing and Moongiest Beam.
Yveltal can act as a good check to Tail Glow Dialga, stealing their boosts and 2KOing as retaliation with Revelation Dance (or even KOing if Dialga is already damaged, like it happens in one of my replays). Rapid Spin is the hazard cleaning mechanism of this team, and I picked Yveltal to use it, as its typing and moves pressure common Spinner blockers like Giratina and Aegislash. Both dislike of being in front of Yveltal. U-turn is the pivoting move, allowing me to take advantage of Regenerator, healing Yveltal and pivot in other Pokémon to keep constant pressure on the opposing team.
+2 252+ SpA Dialga Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 252-297 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Dialga Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 195-229 (42.7 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
+3 252+ SpA Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 121-142 (26.5 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+3 252+ SpA Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Oblivion Wing vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 290-343 (63.5 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 SpA Spooky Plate Gengar-Mega Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 145-171 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 91.1% chance to 3HKO
+3 252 SpA Spooky Plate Adaptability Gengar-Mega Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 194-229 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Adaptability Gengar-Mega Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 124-148 (27.1 - 32.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Gengar-Mega Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Yveltal: 186-220 (40.7 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

"We have turned our curse into our strength."

Roles: Anti set-up, Ground -ate check, Triage Rayquaza check, Emergency suicide killer

The last Pokémon of "Legends of Azeroth" but definetly one of the most important ones. Prankster Registeel has been part of my last RMTs specially "The Nuclear Army" and "Knights of the Frozen Throne". Its priority Haze allows me to stop Unburden Belly Drum abusers like Necrozma-DM, Regigigas and Slacking from sweeping my team, and it checks regular Shell Smash+Power Trip/Stored Power users like Yveltal, Hoopa-Unbound, Mega Gyarados, Mega Mewtwo Y. Nowadays the BH meta has a lot of set up and Shell Smash has become a common move, so a Prakster Haze Pokémon is mandatory.
Registeel can act as my last resort, using Destiny Bond against a powerful sweeper if things have gone wrong during the match (if their counter is dead, or if they are lucky to come in front of something that gives them a free turn to set up while I switch, etc...). Usually, the targets for this are Pokémon that I know that are crucial in my opponent's strategy, like Unburden Belly Drum Mega Lucario, Contrary Mega Mewtwo X/Y, Choice Specs Aerilate Mega Rayquaza, Contrary Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon (if Giratina is dead). But, generally, with a good style of play, you will not need to use Destiny Bond so much. The team was built to check the most common threats.
U-turn is a pivoting move that paired with the slow Speed stat of Registeel (0 IV on speed and decreasing nature) can allow me to pivot in safely Xerneas to activate Toxic Orb or Groudon to threaten something (it's a common move opponents switching their Registeel or Mega Audino against our Registeel and Groudon eats them for breakfast).
Shore Up is an important move, to ensure Registeel's durability and, combined with the Prankster Ability allows it to check decently Choice Specs Aerilate Mega Rayquaza, Choice Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-W, Avalanche version of PH Regigigas, Poison Heal Tyranitar and Tail Glow Boomburst Arceus. Shell Smash Galvanize Zekrom is checked by Registeel too.
The chosen item is Safety Googles that usually keeps me safe from Spore spam from non Knock Off support users.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Rayquaza-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 156-183 (42.8 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Diancie-Mega Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel: 180-214 (49.4 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-White Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 135-160 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Diancie-Mega Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 129-153 (35.4 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 138-164 (37.9 - 45%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage
+2 252 SpA Spooky Plate Gengar-Mega Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 259-306 (71.1 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The teambuilding process has followed the way to acheive a goal of making the team cheking the most common threats of the current Metagame. The BH Metagame is too vast and the variety of sets and threats is enormous. Each Pokémon have, generally, 2 or more sets to use and, sometimes, the main difficulty is figuring out what they can be and start a plan. Be aware that there are no perfect teams and, sometimes, the capacity of an opposing theam of threatning yours depends on how you play. Meta knowledge, prediction, decent plays, keeping the right Pokémon alive, making the necessary sacrifices, choosing the best lead are all important actions to extract any team's full potential.

VS Hyper Offense: Try to setup hazards as fast as possible. Necrozma is usually a good lead here, as some teams have Contrary abusers or -ates that will try to spam V-create. Hazards break Focus Sashes and, generally, HO teams lack recovery, so the chip damage that comes from hazards is always welcomed. If they have Mega Gengar or MMY or both, try to save Yveltal to deal with those and Registeel for a possible Destiny Bond when needed. If they send out Rayquaza vs your Giratina, switch to Xerneas...Draco Meteor incoming and you can Moonblast/Spectral Thief V-Create boosts from them.

VS Stall/Defensive oriented teams: If they have a Chansey, lead with Registeel (their lead is usually Imposter and this set revealed is almost useless for them, as it doesn't have nothing special that threatens their team for real). Or, you can lead with Necrozma and switch to Giratina (to reflect a possible Stealth Rock). Figure out quickly their hazard remover (usually if they have Kyogre it's AV and it has Rapid Spin, AV Yveltal is a possibility too, AV Registeel too) and block their Rapid Spins with Giratina. Try to take them down with Groudon ASAP. Groudon threatens them all. Defog Giratina and Zygarde can be pressured with Xerneas. It's MANDATORY that you preserve Groudon and that you activate your Toxic Orb in a matchup vs stall! Bring Xerneas safely to the field. Xerneas is an hazard setter and needs PH durability to keep pressuring the opposing stall team. Once their hazard remover is dead, they start skating in their game and the presence of Groudon does the rest.

ThreatCheck
Mega AerodactylMagic Guard set up: Necrozma-DM, Registeel, Giratina
ArceusTail Glow: Registeel, Giratina
Mega BlazikenChoice Band: Giratina. Contrary: Giratina. Necrozma-DM and Registeel as emergency.
Deoxys-A and Mega Mewtwo YThe Contrary sets vary. For non Moongiest Beam versions: Necrozma-DM. For non Fleur Cannon versions: Yveltal. Sheer Force MMY: Yveltal, Necrozma-DM and Registeel. Magic Guard: Necrozma-DM and Registeel (and Yveltal if it doesn't carry Light of Ruin).
DialgaTail Glow: Yveltal checks it very well. Registeel stops its boosts with Haze.
Mega Diancie-ate: Necrozma-DM for Fire coverage and Registeel for Ground Coverage. Magic Guard: Necrozma-DM.
Mega GengarAny version is a piece of cake to Yveltal.
Primal GroudonGiratina
Ho-OhNecrozma-DM, Giratina
HoopaShell Smash Version: Yveltal and Registeel. Adaptability: Yveltal.
KartanaChoice Band is powerful. Team work is needed here. Forcing it out with set up hazards is the safest way to deal with it. Groudon OHKO's it. If it clicks V-create use Necrozma-DM (for instancem if it comes in front of your Registeel, change to Necrozma.). If you predict Sunsteel Strike, switch to Registeel as it can heal with priority.
Kyurem BlackIt's usually -ate or Adaptability: Necrozma-DM, Registeel. Preferably the first because it's immune to V-Create and takes neutral damage from Close Combat.
Kyurem WhiteOnly viable set is Specs-ate or Adaptability: Necrozma-DM, Registeel. OHKO'ed by Groudon.
Lucario, Necrozma-DM and SlackingAll of them usually are Unburden Belly Drum: stopped by Registeel. Best move vs Lucario, Destiny Bond or Haze+Giratina switch.
Mega Mewtwo XPH: walled by Giratina. Contrary: Necrozma DM, Yveltal, Giratina, depending the move it's using. Usually, Giratina's Spectral Thief is a hard hit for it to take. Choice Band Adaptability: Giratina+Yveltal, since Photon Geyser and Close Combat are quite predictable. Shell Smash: if Giratina is on the field, spectral thief it. It's what you should do vs any MMX as long as you are at full HP or near, as they can't OHKO you. MMX lacks recovery.
Ultra NecrozmaPretty much the same as MMY.
PheromosaAny version is walled by Giratina.
Mega RayquazaIt depends on it's set. Try to figure what it is/can be. Specs Aerilate: Registeel/Necrozma-DM. Regular -ate: Necrozma-DM. Contrary: Necrozma-DM+Xerneas or Registeel as a last resort. Triage: Yveltal checks it very decently.
RegigigasNot a threat for Giratina. The PH Shift Gear version with Spore (and, by consequence, without Avalanche) is dealt with Core Enforcer. Avalanche Version: Registeel walls it, as it lacks Spore.
Mega SceptileContrary: Yveltal, Necrozma-DM. Adaptability: Yveltal.
Mega TyranitarShell Smash: walled by Registeel. PH: Registeel can handle it and Groudon pressures it at +0 or even +1.
XerneasPH: absolutely countered by my Xerneas. Necrozma-DM can act as a secondary option.
ZekromOnly viable set is Smash Galvanize which can be handled by Registeel. Groudon threatens it.

There are a few sets that this team can't check perfectly just by looking at it: Choice Band/Scarf Adaptabilty Garchomp (morogrim set from gen 6) and random Xurkitree sets (Quiver Dance or Tail Glow Boomburst). Although, there aren't the most common sets in the Metagame at this moment (specially Xurkitree). Again, I rememeber that any Pokémon can be a threat in a Metagame like this. I hope for some feedback from the people who will try this team out to keep this list updated and some suggestions/improvements of how to deal with them.

The team has brought me near 1600s and 84.1% GXE (37-7 since 3 of these were disconnect losses) in my alt to get the voting reqs and in other alt I'm 17-0 with 82% GXE. I'll update this as long as I play even more.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-863405599 (vs LittleMissSunday, against a full stall team. Good match.)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-863469649 (vs sausagedaboss, against Aerodactyl lead and PH Regigugas)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-863402797 (vs Typhoon Hunter, where my Giratina Spectral Thieves a Unburden Belly Drum Lucario)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-860407753 (vs SPariana Grande)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-861748424 (vs Kylo3944, Spore and hazards shine here)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-862194171 (vs spin me baby, good match vs a well balanced team)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-862921072 (vs o! lvl, win vs Diancie+Gengar+Belly Drum Slaking)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-862923229 (vs Sp -'- Sp, using a version of morogrim's stall One Stall to Rule them All)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-862929215 (vs Tyrynor, against a HO team with Shedinja and Draco Meteor Contrary Rayquaza)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-863404272 (vs L'homme banane, against double Rayquaza and a Gengar)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-862191488 (vs ShadowNeuroforce)

Lyra the Sunshard (Xerneas) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Spectral Thief

Ragnaros Firelord (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Spore
- Bolt Strike

Twilight Drake (Giratina) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Core Enforcer
- Shore Up
- Parting Shot
- Spectral Thief

Justicar Trueheart (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Flash Fire
Sassy Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Heal Order
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Deathwing (Yveltal) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Revelation Dance
- Spectral Thief
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Genn Greymane (Registeel) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Sassy Nature
- Haze
- Destiny Bond
- U-turn
- Shore Up

In conclusion, I think I managed to build a better team than I was expecting at the beginning when the Suspect Test started and I needed to build something. I had a great time building this team and playing with it on the ladder was undoubtedly a great and refreshing experience. I hope you can have the same fun I had playing with this team, and I'm always open to any comments, feed back and possible improvements that this team can have. The best source of updates is giving your stuff to others for them to test. I hope that the team serves new players by helping them climbing the ladder, but I hope they can learn a little about the BH Metagame where almost anything is possible and the perfect team is almost a mirage.

Shoutouts for Lance and aki0s <3 for some meta and sets discussion.
And a final, but not least important, big shoutout for you, the person who read all this testament Rate My Team, thanking you for spending a bit of your precious time reading my content ^-^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)