VGC Let It Snow (VGC Abomasnow Team)

Hey everyone! I've just made and tested my new VGC team, and I personally think it's the best one I've made so far! However, I still feel like there are minor issues that I just can't seem to fix. If one of you guys could help me on that, it'd be wonderful! This team's specialty is that I put a non-mega Abomasnow on it, and it actually puts in work! It is not the central focus of the team, however, it is just a supporting member. Anyway, my team building process went as follows:

(P.S: Sorry, I forgot what the EVs on all these Pokemon were for due to doing so many calcs for each and every one of them. Just trust the stats unless you feel that some EVs are super out of place, thanks)

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Level: 50
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Bullet Punch
- Protect
- Zen Headbutt

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 52 SpA / 60 SpD / 44 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam/Swagger (Played with both, couldn't figure out which was better)

This is the initial core I built the whole team around. I know Mega Gross works much better with Tapu Lele for boosted Zen Headbutts, but Lele prevents Metagross from using Bullet Punch, which is a very useful priority move. Tapu Fini works well with Metagross, as their types check each other's weaknesses. Misty Terrain also prevents Metagross from being crippled by a burn or paralysis. Fini can also Swagger boost Metagross to unreal attack levels, which makes the pairing much better.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Explosion

Now we all know it's not a 2018 Pokemon team without Lando-T. At the time, I was realizing how tough it would be to take care of Tapu Koko, other Landorus, and Heatran (Muddy Water just isn't strong enough to kill it). I ended up deciding on a CB Landorus in order to better break fat Pokemon. Explosion basically kills any offensive Pokemon that isn't a resist, which could eliminate other threats to Metagross. I decided against a Scarf set because of some of the Pokemon I added in later.

Abomasnow @ Eject Button
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 36 Def / 28 SpA / 132 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Icy Wind
- Ice Shard

This set is what makes me love this team so much. First off, I needed a grass type in order to consistently check Koko, Lando-T, etc. More importantly, this thing is my team's best anti-rain Pokemon. It set up hail to stop Swampert/Ludicolo from being boosted, and if Abomasnow is hit, it will switch out into something that can take advantage of the opponent's lack of weather control. The moves on Abomasnow are pretty self explanatory, but I don't know if I should swap Icy Wind for Blizzard, as both moves are incredibly useful. I do actually remember that the EVs are here to survive Pelipper's Hurricane and comfortably take Swampert's Ice Punch, while being able to kill a Lando-T with Icy Wind + Ice Shard.

Drifblim @ Misty Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 220 Def / 60 SpA / 164 SpD / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is the main reason why i decided on a CB Lando over Scarf. Tailwind supports basically my entire team, making things like Abomasnow and Fini much more threatening. The Speed & SpA are for outspending/putting Scarf Landorus in range of Ice Shard. Shadow Ball is also great for 2HKOing the likes of Metagross and Aegislash, and almost killing Tapu Lele. Otherwise a very standard set.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 100 HP / 172 Atk / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Bashful Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Finally, Kommo-O was put on the team as a means of wearing down and breaking tough-to-beat mons. It counters Mega Gengar and Charizard-Y, which my team struggled with up until now. I chose a special Kommo-O to be able to deal with Fairies more consistently, having access to a +1 Poison Jab and such. I know that Clanging Scales would do less damage in Fini's terrain, but I the only time I would use it outside of the Z-Move would be against Flying Pokemon, who aren't protected by the terrain. There was no stat I wanted to lower on Kommo-O, so I figured a Neutral Nature would work best with what I wanted.

And that's it! As for why I think this team isn't perfect just yet, I have a few reasons. For one, I'm bringing Mega Metagross to less than half of my games, and as such I think that maybe I should find another win-con that would suit the team better. Secondly, Cresselia is a huge pain for literally every Pokemon on the squad, as nothing can break it outside of constant U-turns and Iron Heads. Finally, I can't decide on moves for some of my Pokemon (i.e. Icy Wind vs. Blizzard, Ice Beam vs. Swagger, Zen Headbutt vs. Stomping Tantrum). I know this team is so close, and it just needs a tiny bit of polishing. Thanks for reading through all this, and if you could help I would be very appreciative. Thank you!

I forgot to save any replays for the team, so I'll post some as I play more games.

Hey everyone! I've just made and tested my new VGC team, and I personally think it's the best one I've made so far! However, I still feel like there are minor issues that I just can't seem to fix. If one of you guys could help me on that, it'd be wonderful! This team's specialty is that I put a non-mega Abomasnow on it, and it actually puts in work! It is not the central focus of the team, however, it is just a supporting member. Anyway, my team building process went as follows:
I'll go through some points with you:

Metagross: I wouldn't recommend running Bullet Punch. With 110 Speed and already having a main STAB move, Metagross doesn't really need it that much. Ice Punch would be a better alternative to hit Lando T with. Also, I would run Max-Speed. Pretty good otherwise

Tapu Fini: I would recommend Ice Beam for coverage and you won't be able to use Swagger that much due to Misty Terrain. Good set though.

Landorus: EV wise, I would say Max-Speed is good rather than Max-Attack. It would allow you to outspeed many threats. As for the set, I wouldn't recommend the Choice Band that much especially since you only have one ally immune to Ground. Explosion is also a bit odd too with the Band.

Abomasnow: Unfortunatly, I would have to say that you're abomasnow is a bit all over the place. Eject Button is a bit of a weird choice, you're EVs are a bit random (60 Attack with only 1 Physical Moves) and you don't have Blizzard (Generally a Key Fundamental with a Hail user). Another point is that you don't have a team member that makes use of the hail (e.g. Alolan Sandslah). Since you aren't running it Mega, you're better off with another Hail user such as Alolan Ninetales or Vanilluxe.

Drifblim: If I completely ignore your EV Spread (It's a bit random and Max Speed would be useful), then that's a good Drifblim.

Kommo-o: I'm generally not a huge fan with mixed Kommo-o. Again, your EV Spreads are a bit weird and I would say running Focus Blast is better, despite its inaccuracy as it's more powerful. If you're running Poison Jab for Faries, then I would say use Flash Cannon would be a better alternative. But it's still a good Kommo-o if you really want to run mixed.

Overall, not a bad team. Replace the Abomasnow (since it really doesn't help the rest of the team) and even out the EV spreads a bit more and you'd have a good VGC team!

I'll go through some points with you:

Metagross: I wouldn't recommend running Bullet Punch. With 110 Speed and already having a main STAB move, Metagross doesn't really need it that much. Ice Punch would be a better alternative to hit Lando T with. Also, I would run Max-Speed. Pretty good otherwise

Tapu Fini: I would recommend Ice Beam for coverage and you won't be able to use Swagger that much due to Misty Terrain. Good set though.

Landorus: EV wise, I would say Max-Speed is good rather than Max-Attack. It would allow you to outspeed many threats. As for the set, I wouldn't recommend the Choice Band that much especially since you only have one ally immune to Ground. Explosion is also a bit odd too with the Band.

Abomasnow: Unfortunatly, I would have to say that you're abomasnow is a bit all over the place. Eject Button is a bit of a weird choice, you're EVs are a bit random (60 Attack with only 1 Physical Moves) and you don't have Blizzard (Generally a Key Fundamental with a Hail user). Another point is that you don't have a team member that makes use of the hail (e.g. Alolan Sandslah). Since you aren't running it Mega, you're better off with another Hail user such as Alolan Ninetales or Vanilluxe.

Drifblim: If I completely ignore your EV Spread (It's a bit random and Max Speed would be useful), then that's a good Drifblim.

Kommo-o: I'm generally not a huge fan with mixed Kommo-o. Again, your EV Spreads are a bit weird and I would say running Focus Blast is better, despite its inaccuracy as it's more powerful. If you're running Poison Jab for Faries, then I would say use Flash Cannon would be a better alternative. But it's still a good Kommo-o if you really want to run mixed.

Overall, not a bad team. Replace the Abomasnow (since it really doesn't help the rest of the team) and even out the EV spreads a bit more and you'd have a good VGC team!
Thanks for all the input! However, I don't have Swagger to hit my opponents with it. I have it to maybe boost Metagross or Kommo-O, and the Misty Terrain actually helps in negating the confusion. It's basically a free Swords Dance for any grounded Pokemon. Thanks for everything else though!

I must say that your team is very good, just be wary of Kartana. A Sacred Sword is almost certainly lethal and Tapu Fini despises Leaf Blade. Sacred Sword also does not check status changes, so if Kartana gets a boost it will most certainly cut through Kommo-o like a hot knife through butter unless it's dealt with prior. Hail removes the Focus Sash on it though, so someone else could get a decently powered move to deal with it. Also people are used to seeing Drifblim with a Tapu so be wary of getting predicted. Overall very good. I feel as though Abomasnow has a niche as a counter to both Amoongus and Gastrodon simultaneously, so making him work could be integral to avoiding getting trapped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)