Social LGBTQIA+

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
I'm angry on the internet about our internalised acceptance of harmful opinions that lead to disproportional death and imprisonment of POC so I'm going to call out someone spreading these beliefs. My post was apparently about you. Please stop saying everyone is a dick to you and instead question why they call your beliefs harmful.
my post was in reference to the numerous people, mostly teenagers, who've posted in this thread/participated in pokepride looking for a safe space and instead found themselves alienated by what was supposed to be a welcoming community.

my post was in reference to the numerous people, mostly teenagers, who've posted in this thread/participated in pokepride looking for a safe space and instead found themselves alienated by what was supposed to be a welcoming community.
Why "tolerating casual defense of racist institutions by not even making so much as a call out post" is a core tenet of your "welcoming community" is beyond me. To me, it seems the opposite. I'm also quite annoyed you chose to take away from my original point about the police, which I find pretty important, with this.

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
Why "tolerating casual defense of racist institutions by not even making so much as a call out post" is a core tenet of your "welcoming community" is beyond me. To me, it seems the opposite. I'm also quite annoyed you chose to take away from my original point about the police, which I find pretty important, with this.
the point of my post wasn't to attack or detract from what you said regarding the police. the point of my post was to attempt to convey that apparently people, mainly young people, feel unwelcome within pokepride as a whole, and that you attempting to bludgeon them with your way of thinking does more harm than good with regard to creating a safe space. if posts such as robyn's and nalei's regarding this behavior garner such support in this thread then there has to be some merit to what they say.

the point of my post wasn't to attack or detract from what you said regarding the police. the point of my post was to attempt to convey that apparently people, mainly young people, feel unwelcome within pokepride as a whole, and that you attempting to bludgeon them with your way of thinking does more harm than good with regard to creating a safe space. if posts such as robyn's and nalei's regarding this behavior garner such support in this thread then there has to be some merit to what they say.
Yes, you conveyed that, which detracted from my original point by kickstarting this worthless reiteration of "your call out of harmful beliefs has made me/other people feel unwelcome" which I actually addressed in my initial post.

No... something garnering support does not necessarily mean it has merit (I genuinely cannot believe this is the extent of your reasoning here).

Because you've immediately just reiterated your point and not engaged with what I said, framing my call out as a "bludgeoning" (quoting my original post now, "too many people in this thread and server refer to an offended call-out as a 'brutal attack'") I'm probably not going to put any more effort beyond this into this conversation. (I'm going to try my best not to waste my time, but I'm not very good at that.)

I want you to consider why calling out defense of a racist institution makes people feel unwelcome. (The answer: people value their comfort over education about oppression, and cannot consider that they might have harmful beliefs). Then I want you to go and search the tolerance paradox on google.com. However I assume you will do neither, and I will look at another reiteration of "but your tone is mean so im not gonna change my mind" in ten minutes.

Last edited:
I certainly don't know much about what you believe, but your original message was quite clear in suggesting that there are somehow good cops because some of them might be black or gay or something, which is not correct. And you did go on to say that we should be wary of 'dangerous generalizations' of cops, just as we should be wary of dangerous generalizations of people in the lgbt community. It's unfortunate, but there's really no getting around the fact that that is a very pernicious comparison. I think it is important to push back on that.

I wanted to jump in at the time too, but felt it would be weird/not worth it, since you're young and it was an otherwise sweet goodbye post, and I couldn't think of a way to make it come off as friendly or whatever because I'm personally bad at doing that. I was happy to see that someone else came in and responded to it in what I would consider a pretty gentle way... I don't entirely understand why people are in this thread acting like zeitokrabby just came in here attacking people. I know it's not fun to be contradicted and stuff, but I don't feel that's some sort of attack on the idea of this being a safe space.

I think it's a bit odd that you felt the need to respond to that post by picking apart one line about "hey maybe generalization is bad regardless of context" when anyone who knows me more than just reading a thread and deciding to be offended would know that I'm entirely in favor of stuff that some people would call "extreme" in terms of fixing police brutality. I fully support abolition of the current police system in the US in order to reconstruct a system that serves people better. I also think it's rather tone deaf to say that I'm turning a blind eye to police brutality when just the concept of it is in fact something I live with every day as a Hispanic person living in a 94% White state, not to even mention the fact that on top of that I am a trans woman (even if not presenting right now), or to imply that I'm simply ignorant to systemic racism when I've been involved with people who are most directly effected by it through my mother's non-profit work literally since I was an infant. I'm a bit annoyed by all of this obviously and I'd just like to ask that in the future if anyone wants to come after me for something, come after me for what I actually believe in and not for how you choose to interpret one sentence in a goodbye post. All I meant by what I said is that there are ways to call for massive, all-encompassing systemic change which is entirely necessary without ostracizing every single individual involved in the current system, as we may well need the good ones in the next one!

I also finally found a middle name (Madelaine) after several months of looking! Pretty personal story I don't want to post about here but hey I think it's neat to share at least.
Thank you for making your stance clear. I do want to say when your only mention of the police in a post is comparing 'ACAB' to oppression against LGBTQ+ folk, I don't think I'm unreasonable for being skeptical. Right now I think the narrative needs to be more focused upon education of police abolition rather than "daily reminder not to say ACAB". So yes, I did pick out one line. If you had written a whole post about why people shouldn't say ACAB, I would have quoted the whole post. This is not about the length of the sentences but about what you have decided to focus your words on.

I also want to comment on:
"all-encompassing systemic change which is entirely necessary without ostracising every single individual involved in the current system" - this is a seemingly-reiterated viewpoint that frankly makes no sense. The police are bad because they are police - they are a part of the institution willingly. And you state that we should push police abolition with focus on not ostracising the police from this movement? I have to say, I struggle to understand what experiences you have to have of the police to believe that they can also, with the right amount of love and water, support police abolition. They say a good cop is one who quits. You'd probably respond to that better if it was worded as "radical reform to these systems is not accomplished within the system".

Furthermore, you mentioned "the good ones" (the good apples...!). It is getting tiring repeating the same points, that ACAB is not a generalisation of individuals but a statement of a system's inherent bigotry (cops are bad because they are cops). More often than not I found that this is widely explained to people and yet they continue to misinterpret the slogan ACAB as a statement on individual people. I wonder why they do that?

I believe we know each other and so I was slightly disappointed (amongst anger) that you said that because it aligned with the rhetoric of someone you say would be far more liberal than you. I was wrong for assuming you to be quite reactionary towards leftist policies, but I'm speaking in this thread not to make or lose friends, not to insult you, as you have taken it, but to have important discussions, such as the meaning of ACAB and why the police is systemically bad. I want people to realise it's "not just a few bad apples".

Honestly there's a lot that I'd wish to continue to clarify and dispute here in order to defend my own viewpoints but part of my hope in resigning staff positions here was that I'd be able to log on occasionally and enjoy some Pokemon without needing to have an argument every single time, so I'm not very inclined to continue to attempt to do so.

As I noted in my original goodbye post, I had no interest in turning something personal and sweet into a long-winded political post. I think there's a fair few debate threads for those purposes which I do not read or post on. I think you have failed to see certain things in terms that are broader than black and white (if you'll excuse the extremely poor phrasing). I can say "I think some people who are cops aren't inherently bad people" without that meaning "the police is a good institution". I can also say "there are some good cops" without that meaning "and the problem is just with a few bad cops" - the latter of those two statements obviously would be completely erroneous and based on absolutely no real evidence.

I'm glad that you do not choose to use "ACAB" to attack the character of people and instead use it only to refer to an institution, but I think you're also wise enough to know that this is not the case for everyone. I included that line in my original post because someone who I consider to be a friend was extremely concerned for his personal safety and that of his family due to his current employment, and I found that bothersome. I think it's pretty cool to say that a good cop is one who quits but I also think it's pretty privileged to not at least acknowledge that "just quit lol" simply isn't an option for many people in this country, especially right now.

If you're continuing to look to educate me, I think you're failing to realize that this is an issue on which I have already been educated. If you're looking to change my mind about something, I think you're failing to realize that we share almost all of the same views on this issue and we're nearing the point of arguing over semantics. If you're looking for me to apologize for the contents of my original post, that is something I have no intention of doing as I still stand by what I felt at the time of writing it. So again, all I ask is that you consider your audience right now and what you hope to achieve by preaching to the choir over my choice of words.
I thought I made it quite clear ("I'm speaking in this thread not to make or lose friends, not to insult you, as you have taken it, but to have important discussions, such as the meaning of ACAB and why the police is systemically bad") that my target audience was not you. I was engaging with this because I did not want a rhetoric promoting ACAB as unhealthy and dangerous (it actually calls for a change society desperately needs) circulating in a largely leftist area unopposed. I used this conversation to make my thoughts on the police known. If you don't want to have this conversation, don't.

No, this is actually not a semantic conversation - at all! It's about rhetoric (mentioned above). Your words have an impact. They convey something. I want to state again that you chose to comment on one specific thing, and this was what I took issue with.

I'm not going to respond to your second paragraph as it is another mindless interpretation of individuals rather than societal institutions.

The only other point you made in your point was that some cops maybe do not have the class privilege of being able to quit. While this could be taken as an interesting and valid point in a vacuum, you're making it here in a way that can't be considered anything but bad faith. You're making this point to say "a significant (as in, worth mentioning) number of cops probably strongly dislike the system but they just can't afford to lose their job" - it's absurd in the context. However, feel free to educate me on the number of cops that come from disadvantaged backgrounds. More importantly though, you make no mention of the fact that police are a part of the force in our society enforcing the class structure that's creating this problem.
I'm also sorry to hear about your cop friend. We do both agree that this movement should not be detrimental to anybody's safety. However, the number of police brutality murders (1143 in 2018) to police felonious deaths (55 in 2018) numbers roughly 20:1. I will continue to be angry when the conversation is disproportionately shifted to cop safety - right wingers are doing this enough.

I hope I didn't ruin your goodbye post. I ask that if you don't want to talk about politics, then don't. I will continue to, because it angers me that we are still fighting for our basic rights.

Sources:
https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/nationaltrends Data for 2018, taken at time of posting.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...increased-last-year-infographic/#31c253d31189 Data for "Feloniously killed" cops in 2018, taken at time of posting. Original source for this is claimed to be from the FBI.
Both sources reflect only U.S. deaths.

I'm not sure how you can argue in good faith that if I don't want to argue politics with you I should have simply not responded when this entire argument started out of you choosing to address a callout to one of my posts. I absolutely do not wish to argue politics with you, I simply wish to defend my own character and my own viewpoints from being misrepresented and misconstrued. I think it's fantastic that you feel as passionately as you do about this particular issue (and presumably many others!), as I have my own extremely strong views on most issues. Though, I do admittedly fail to understand why you have chosen to fight as passionately as you are over a few small disagreements with someone who is essentially repeatedly saying "I agree with most of that!" instead of using this same energy to argue where it actually matters and with people who actually disagree.

I'm not offended, nor have you "ruined" anything more than my generally pleasant afternoon disposition, but I am certainly somewhat annoyed that this is what you're choosing to do. I will personally continue to put my energy and enthusiasm into where it really matters and I hope you're doing the same, but I hope you realize that nothing is being gained here.
Your failure to understand has a clear-cut and obvious explanation - I've seen this kind of rhetoric far too much in Pokepride. Thank you for the conversation - I hope you are able to prioritise important causes before defense of your own character in future. We call that taking responsibility.

I think this is the LGBTQ+ thread.

Politics is this way
View attachment 257434
:blobthumbsup:
In case you didn't notice, LGBTQ+ identities are political, even if we wish they weren't. To believe otherwise is incredibly privileged and to use this belief to detract from important conversations that fall outside of what you care about as 'political' is quite frankly disgusting. This is such a basic point I cannot believe it has to be said on this thread.

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
In case you didn't notice, LGBTQ+ identities are political, even if we wish they weren't. To believe otherwise is incredibly privileged and to use this belief to detract from important conversations that fall outside of what you care about as 'political' is quite frankly disgusting. This is such a basic point I cannot believe it has to be said on this thread.
Yeah but the whole thing is that it was in response to a couple of posts where the only thing You were talking about was ACAB/Police Brutality (without even mentioning LGBTQ+ identities). My good friend Lkjc is just trying to redirect you to a more pertinent forum for that specific topic. It just seems odd that you try and make a thread that has a nominal purpose (discussion of LGBTQ+ issues) about what started as a tangentially related topic.
but I'm speaking in this thread not to make or lose friends, not to insult you, as you have taken it, but to have important discussions, such as the meaning of ACAB and why the police is systemically bad. I want people to realise it's "not just a few bad apples".
:mad: If this was your goal, you could have used a different thread like General News Discussion Thread.

I get that some people don't want to discuss police abolition in the LGBTQ thread for whatever reason, but I think it's kinda corny to throw in some line about "hey we shouldn't say ACAB" and then only get mad about the "politics" when someone shows up to disagree with that.

Also not understanding how one can believe that some cops need to remain cops in order to support their families, while also 'supporting' police abolition (as in... deleting their jobs)? Like which is it.... I definitely think every cop could and should quit immediately. I don't think that's like... a minor difference of opinion, either

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
Also not understanding how one can believe that some cops need to remain cops in order to support their families, while also 'supporting' police abolition (as in... deleting their jobs)? Like which is it.... I definitely think every cop could and should quit immediately. I don't think that's like... a minor difference of opinion, either
The same way a person can live in a specific city and push for city reform. The same way a person can work for a hospital and push for hospital reform. The same way an individual can live in a capitalist-dominant society and push for more communal-friendly reform.

As easy as it is to "just tear the entire thing down and start over", it's not practical (in most cases). Reform isn't going to happen overnight (in most cases) and is going to require a constant gradual push towards progressive policies. I'm a pretty far left-leaning person, but I think it's important that we, as a group, don't choose to ignore the individual plights that each person endures.

Unicorns

Banned deucer.
Yeah yeah sure, you can support reform while also not wanting to tear down the system, that's definitely consistent. But you're talking about 'reform' there; are we not talking about abolition here? The distinction is really big and shouldn't be minimized.
Yes, but the goal of the recent protests is for reform and/or abolition of the police, despite the phrase "Abolish the Police". What you're doing is nitpicking the type of positive change. Nitpicking doesn't help anybody and only serves as a progressive "purity test", for which you, the individual, can feel better for pwning the trivially-less progressives.

The difference between abolition and reform is not trivial nitpicking, not really sure what to even say to that. The only reason I brought this up is that Robyn said she supported police abolition in order to make it seem like people were nitpicking her, but based on what she/you have been saying, maybe she meant reform, and not abolition? Which, okay, but if that's the case then this isn't frivolous nitpicking, it's a very real disagreement about how much we want to support/preserve our current concept of policing.

Like I'm not even trying to turn this into an actual full-blown discussion about police reform vs police abolition. Clearly a new thread could be made for something like that if people wanted it. But it's definitely not correct to paint that as some trivial distinction that people are harping on just to be mean for no reason.

wasnt really sure whether this should be posted in here but just wanted to get this out there for the sake of clarity - it has come to my attention that there have been some fake images circulating that ppl are claiming is me and using them to attack me/make fun of me with

if ur the one behind these images and ur reading this (and yes i wrote it in here with the hope that u would) u should question what ur doing with ur life. not gonna waste my time with this any longer but get a grip and go do something productive for once. i doubt most people would even care what i looked like personally, so i don't really understand what ur attempting to do

if anyone has saw the pictures i just wanted to clarify that they arent me. i dont share pictures around often but some ppl on smogon have saw me before and know what i look like so they could easily be disproven in an instant. hope that clears things up

Yeah but the whole thing is that it was in response to a couple of posts where the only thing You were talking about was ACAB/Police Brutality (without even mentioning LGBTQ+ identities). My good friend Lkjc is just trying to redirect you to a more pertinent forum for that specific topic. It just seems odd that you try and make a thread that has a nominal purpose (discussion of LGBTQ+ issues) about what started as a tangentially related topic.

:mad: If this was your goal, you could have used a different thread like General News Discussion Thread.
I cannot believe, I genuinely cannot believe, that the bullshit tactic of calling things political and redirecting them when people just don't want to have the conversation is a problem in this thread. It's just disgusting. People like us who understand oppression to some degree should not be restricting this chat to only the political conversations that directly impact us. It's genuinely pathetic that you decided to just respond "no politics here".

Also, I literally fucking mentioned stonewall lmfao. "without even mentioning LGBTQ+ identities"
Also, reiterating what lily hollow said I was actually commenting on what someone else said so actually yeah it's weird you two never brought it up then but you are now! (It's not weird it's completely obvious you're just calling it political to dismiss it).
Please engage or leave. Stop dismissing things you aren't happy to talk about. They're important.

Overall I'm just incredulous that I bring up an important political subject and i get four responses: two telling me 'no politics here', one portraying me as an attacker, and another just being defensive of their character. This is just shockingly poor from a thread that I initially expected to be quite nuanced around oppression and political subjects. I do want to thank lilyhollow and starry for being the saving grace of this conversation though.

"No politics here" is absolutely a reductive response to what you stated, but if I'm reading this thread correctly (and I've been known not to), this current track of discussion began with the topic of the reformation of institutionalized law enforcement. Which IS a political issue, and not one related to LGBT+ issues in particular. I find your reaction rather overblown, to be honest; your posting is quite aggressive in relation to the subject under discussion and the tone of the person you are addressing.

I basically never post here because forums are scary :( but I felt the need to point that out. Though given how combative this thread already is, it's probably a mistake to chime in.
tone policing has been checked off the list

And now you've become just as reductive as your opposition. How convenient of you to attack your fellow posters without addressing what they say or looking internally to see if there is any merit to it. I'm clearly wasting my time here, so see ya.
My post is aggressive because it angers me that my point was dismissed in various ways and not engaged with whatsoever. If you want me to explain to you what tone policing is, let me know, but I'd much prefer you used google. Your post focuses on my aggression rather than talking about any of my points. I didn't see fit to engage with yours either. Also, I can't tell whether you believe political discussion belongs in a thread about LBGTQ+ people, you were rather vague. I deeply apologise to my fellow posters, but so far not one of you has engaged with anything I said. Robyn came the closest, so congratulations to her.

It's difficult to meaningfully engage with people who are more content to insult others than meet them in dialogue. I focused on your aggression because said aggression is a real barrier to civil discourse. I find it to be a chore to take you, or anyone else, seriously so long as that barrier remains. Think about why people dismissed you to begin with.
This is an interesting post, actually, and something that I'd also like to mention! Today we're going to examine the logical, facts over feelings, the most reasonable being on the planet - the detached critic.
"said aggression is a real barrier to civil discourse" the detached critic sees emotion as a weakness and a barrier. This tactic conveniently enables them to do three things:
1.) Ignore the conversation by focusing on other points.
2.) Appear above, superior, more rational.
3.) Discredit the ideas of anyone who is emotional or passionate about the things they talk about.

The detached critic of course prioritises the anger over the nature of the discussion. They are not a rare phenomenon whatsoever. To anyone reading this post, amongst online discourse, you will have already or will in future find them A LOT.
I hope you don't take me seriously, because I cannot be bothered to respond to another one of your posts either.

An infographic on tone policing, because google is down, apparently:
https://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/tone-policing-and-privilege/

(Note after seeing ljkc's post - uh, ok. thanks for the input.)

It's difficult to meaningfully engage with people who are more content to insult others than meet them in dialogue. I focused on your aggression because said aggression is a real barrier to civil discourse. I find it to be a chore to take you, or anyone else, seriously so long as that barrier remains. Think about why people dismissed you to begin with.
the irony of this argument being used in an lgbtq thread is blowing my feeble mind right now. "maybe people would take u seriously if you werent so angry about it" like i'm really reading this ;_;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)